Shazam Kneel at his feet or be crushed by his foot.. Dwayne Johnson IS Black Adam

So we know Dwayne will be in a DC film and there isn't really a thread for him here so he we go with one.

Yea.

Manganiello would do fine. Let's not act like Shazam requires Oscar winning acting. Manganiello has the presence and would be good in the role.

Anyway, this is the Rock's thread, so that's all I'll say about it in here.

I totally disagree. Not only is Joe M. a pretty underwhelming presence on screen, but no, Shazam/Capt. Marvel does require someone with real talent and charisma to sell it to the audience, other wise, even with a light and fun and breezy tone, you could end up with things being unintentionally funny when they aren't supposed to be or have the film slide into parody when that's clearly not what the film is about in the least. Hanks in BIG is the touchstone here. It would have been very easy for him to play the part like a caricature of a child in an adult body. Yes, there is humor to be mined there, but Hanks first and foremost played it as an actual 3 dimensional person in the situation, while still being innocent and perhaps naive in many ways. Too many of the names that seem to come up in this thread are about very superficial aspects of the character and undersell the degree of difficulty that will be had in getting the audience invested in this mythos which frankly, can be super freakin' goofy at times. If a comedic tone is what is decided on, then sure, embrace it fully, go whole hog, and then the performance of Capt. Marvel doesn't matter. The quality of the gags or dialogue will matter more then regardless of who is chosen for the part. Give it to Joe M. if it's a full on comedy/parody. But if it's attempting to be taken even half way serious on any level, then it requires more than Armie Hammer, or Joe can give us as of right now.

I disagree that this role requires more than either Joe M or Arnie (more than Tatum? Yes.). I understand that Shazam should be a 3 dimensional character with hidden depths, but at the same time the role isn't Shakespeare, and I do believe there are many in Hollywood that could certiainly play the role.

Ah, the "this isn't Shakespeare" line.

Well, in a sense you are correct where Captain Marvel is concerned: he is after all just a distorted mirror image of a child. But it is not altogether straightforward for an adult to play a character who is superficially the classic hero, but who also channels childlike traits of naivety and petulance. It is probably the case that the actor who is cast will have to do a lot with a little, since the character in "hero-mode" is the where all of the elements have to be brought together and simultaneously expressed, probably while punching robots or something of the like.

The argument that Joe M will do because he has big muscles and stuff isn't a very attractive one. Firstly, he is a poor actor (opinion!), and I think the role needs something a little more than the mediocre. Secondly, he lacks charisma, and in this regard he is liable to be swatted off the screen by Dwayne. Thirdly, however much he is feted for having a decent pair of pecs, Dwayne is going to muscle him off the screen there, as well. Fourthly, he looks all wrong. He has that generic, rugged look that is at odds with a character that needs to connote clean-cut boyishness as well as awesome power.

I would rather see a decent actor with the right bearing be put through the usual roids and reps treatment that Hollywood now prescribes, rather than just throw the role away on a bland meathead.

I think Armie Hammer can portray Shazam right. He's tall, he can get big, he looks clean cut, and has child like qualities in him.

I just re-read Black Adam: the Dark Age, Dwayne looks just like Black Adam there. Black Adam can definitely have his own series of movies.

I wouldn't be opposed to BA having his own series of movies, it could work out considering the rich mythology of the character. He could essentially be like the Loki of this series.

How about one of the few men who can beat The Rock for The Big Red Cheese?

Rock-vs-Cena-1_zps8a33161d.png

I wouldn't be opposed to BA having his own series of movies, it could work out considering the rich mythology of the character. He could essentially be like the Loki of this series.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

It would be a great way to go, definitely.

Damn man, can it just be 2016 already? haha

How about people actually are suggesting him due to Dwayne being cast. :csad:

Sorry but that's a terrible job. I severely dislike the look of the lightning.

To me, it's clearly suppose to be a concept picture. Not everyone has mad photoshop skills.

I think Armie Hammer can portray Shazam right. He's tall, he can get big, he looks clean cut, and has child like qualities in him.

I just re-read Black Adam: the Dark Age, Dwayne looks just like Black Adam there. Black Adam can definitely have his own series of movies.

I agree. He did well in Social Network playing twins. He also has experience working along side some heavies like Depp and Leo, and will be seen onscreen with Cavill in UNCLE. When he bulks up...he will be a powerhouse.

84a1a42b087f24ff_137909924_10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"