Kryptonite: Use It Or Lose It?

toddly6666

Civilian
Reaction score
Is anyone else sick of kryptonite constantly being used to weaken Superman? How come every villain in the movie finds this green rare rock that Superman is allergic too? It's just overused and getting old. I think it's been used in the five past Superman movies (maybe not in Superman 2? - which is probably why the second one is the best one). The idea of using kryptonite in a Superman movie is very campy and cheesy as well. It's just too easy and silly to have in the movie. Give Superman a new challenge already!

This is why we we need a superpowered villain. If the Superman Returns sequel uses Luthor, Brainiac, or Metallo, there's a good chance they are going to be using kryptonite against Supes.

Brainiac doesn't need Kryptonite. And Metallo uses it much less often than you'd think.

I agree with this point in a very big way, and this was one of my major problems with SR.

toddly6666 said:
Is anyone else sick of kryptonite constantly being used to weaken Superman? How come every villain in the movie finds this green rare rock that Superman is allergic too? It's just overused and getting old. I think it's been used in the five past Superman movies (maybe not in Superman 2? - which is probably why the second one is the best one). The idea of using kryptonite in a Superman movie is very campy and cheesy as well. It's just too easy and silly to have in the movie. Give Superman a new challenge already!

This is why we we need a superpowered villain. If the Superman Returns sequel uses Luthor, Brainiac, or Metallo, there's a good chance they are going to be using kryptonite against Supes.
So you want to remove one of the only two things that can actually kill him? he only has two weaknesses Kryptonite and Magic. He can't be beatan physically or mentally. So all that's left are magic users.
the idea makes no sense.

Yes... I am sick of Kryptonite, Luthor being the central villain, and them basically making him a damn demented realtor.

I think it was pretty damn cool to see Superman stabbed with Kryptonite, I thought it was fairly brutal the way that scene played out. As long as it is used creatively I think it is a must for any Superman movie.

JamalYIgle said:
So you want to remove one of the only two things that can actually kill him? he only has two weaknesses Kryptonite and Magic. He can't be beatan physically or mentally. So all that's left are magic users.
the idea makes no sense.

There's a very simple solution: Have him fights someone who is powerful enough to physically hurt him. Brainiac can generate energy blasts strong enough to hurt Superman, or can toss him around with super powerful TK. Metallo can take him in hand to hand combat. The Parasite can absorb any energy directed at him and convert it into physical power, including the kinetic energy of Superman's punches. Etc., etc.

The Question said:
There's a very simple solution: Have him fights someone who is powerful enough to physically hurt him. Brainiac can generate energy blasts strong enough to hurt Superman, or can toss him around with super powerful TK. Metallo can take him in hand to hand combat. The Parasite can absorb any energy directed at him and convert it into physical power, including the kinetic energy of Superman's punches. Etc., etc.

agreed clearly we need more of that less of the glowing green rock.

Superman should bleed but at the hands of a villain powerful enough to make him bleed not glowing rock

Count me as one of those fans who are just sick and tired of every villian ponying up to the Kryptonite plot device.

Well Singer didn't go with a super-baddie in SR so Lex had to use something. It's one of only a handful of weaknesses. Magic would just be too silly in movies.

Behold Superman.....I have a handful of Steaming hot mashed potatoes....tremble at my power!!!!!

Hmmmmm.....Doesn't seem to work as well as Kryptonite.

Mmmmm Mashed Potatoes...I am going to Boston Market.

Hmmmmmm....Boston cream pie.

Mmmmm Boston Baked Beans...ewww I dont like beans.

if we have villians like brainiac, darkseid, mogul, then no, we dont' need kryptonite. But for the rest of the world, it's a pretty one-sided fight.

toddly6666 said:

Actually, I am. It's not exciting, i'm sorry to say. I don't hate the movie, but it was so uneventful.

Another factor that kryptonite sucks is that the best/most entertaining fight scenes out of all five superman movies were:
1. Superman versus Zod and Co. in SUPERMAN 2
2. Superman versus Evil Superman in SUPERMAN 3

We gotta have Darkseid, Brainiac, Parasite, Metallo, or Bizarro for the next movie. Superman is an alien - these movies don't need to be so Earth grounded-only. Singer feels he has to keep everything so real. A good screenwriter can make a movie relatable with important relationship themes or keep things real even when dealing with other planets or aliens. That's why the Fantastic Four sequel is looking good - these movies have their friendship/loyalty/relationship themes, even with the outer space Silver Surfer and Galactus.

Even Spiderman 3 is going the fantasy/space route with the origin of Venom.

What does kryptonite represent anyway - his past? I don't know, but that rock has got no drama or soul. That rock is just pure camp.

C. Lee said:
Behold Superman.....I have a handful of Steaming hot mashed potatoes....tremble at my power!!!!!

Hmmmmm.....Doesn't seem to work as well as Kryptonite.

LOL :oldrazz:

toddly6666 said:

I'm very sick of it! I'm glad somebody hit on this subject. It makes it too easy for him to be killed. I can see it weakening him where it disables his powers somewhat but it shouldn't be able to kill him. If Lex and his henchmen would have pulled out machine guns when he had the Kryptonite in him what would have happened? He would have been dead. End of story. And the whole thing about magic is even more ridiculous.

Oh yeah, it´s not like it was overused in the comics, cartoons, Smallville, George Reeves show, the original movie franchise...:whatever:

batlovescatDC said:
Yes... I am sick of Kryptonite, Luthor being the central villain, and them basically making him a damn demented realtor.
I agree, and that was the main problem with SR - nothing was new or expanded upon. I mean wouldn't we all have been disappointed if for Batman Begins all they did was recreate Batman 89? Same origin for the Joker, same plot, same lines even here and there? The only new thing was the kid and I think we all feel the same way about him...

The Question said:
Uhm, and evetually Superman would fight back. The point is no matter what you throw at him physically, he would find a way to beat him. So you have something that takes the fight out of him before it starts.
Uh, Metallo is powered by Kryptonite by the way, that's the only way hae can beat him. Parasite can only absorb his power tfor short periods of time and as long as Superman can keep him at a distance or not touch him physically, the fights already over. He's beaten Doomsday, who at one point was stronger than him, Darkseid and Mongol. you need kryptonite and it's not going to go away.

you see, when you use Kryptonite creatively (or at least differently) it's different. Kryptonite used as the powersource for Metallo. Krytonite as blood for Doomsday.

The original poster of thread meant Kryptonite used as kryptonite. as classic as it is, it's boring to me personally although i'm sure we won't see that in Superman Returns 2.

Every hero has an achilles heel. Kryptonite is Superman's. What other options are there?

The only way they will move away from that is to humanize him--perhaps by using someone he loves (like Lois) as a bait for ransom. I can't think of too many other things that would bring him to his knees without retconning everything we know of the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"