Kryptonite: Use It Or Lose It?

Exactely. That was an amazing thing explored in the Byrne Superman's origins.

If its used, I think it should be extremely rare, and more valuable than diamond.
The way SV has it portrayed, they should rename smallville to Kville.

Lose it...forever (or make it extremely rare..how do all these people get it?), especially any color other than green. Multiple forms of Kryptonite was/is a stupid idea that should have stayed in the Silver Age.

Last edited:
Lose it. I hated how in Smallville everyone had kyrptonite. Well the bad guys.

If its used, I think it should be extremely rare, and more valuable than diamond.

Ya that's right it comes from out of space fallen on earth where diamonds have mines and stuff so that's more common. The whole thing is over done. I wish these film writters would have more common sense.

Smallville's main problem is for every interesting twist or cool idea they do with the legend there's 10 utterly stupid and needless ones.

That and Tom Welling is being such an anti-costume snob he's practically holding his character arc hostage.

Lose it. It is tired and uninteresting.

The answer is to de-power Superman. Make him more a Spider-man level of superhuman. He is still super strong compared to the rest of us, but not strong enough to life entire continents.

I've said it before in other threads, but i'd like to see his strength limit be lifting something the size of an aircraft carrier or a supertanker, and actually show him straining to lift it with beads of sweat on his face.
That would still be mega strong, just not island lifting strong.

Absolutely!!!! given it's abundance in Smallville, I wonder how Clark was not reduced from a very early age to a sickly bedridden child.

Last edited:
Lose it. It is tired and uninteresting.

The answer is to de-power Superman. Make him more a Spider-man level of superhuman. He is still super strong compared to the rest of us, but not strong enough to life entire continents.

I agree but not to Spider-Man levels.

Recently watched an episode of the 50s George Reeves TV series in which Superman effortlessly, with one hand as he was reaching under the ptramid for a medicinal plant with the other hand, lifted the Great Pyramid. It's estimated weight is 6,000,000 tons! An aircarft carrier comes in at 97,000 tons.

Recently watched an episode of the 50s George Reeves TV series in which Superman effortlessly, with one hand as he was reaching under the ptramid for a medicinal plant with the other hand, lifted the Great Pyramid. It's estimated weight is 6,000,000 tons! An aircarft carrier comes in at 97,000 tons.

Yeah Superman needs to strain lifting stuff like that. We do not need golden age Superman in the movies.

Yeah Superman needs to strain lifting stuff like that. We do not need golden age Superman in the movies.

I can hang with Superman at almost any powerlevel but were it up to me personally I would kind of go the route of the Bruce Timm animated series (STAS as opposed to JLU) where he's sort above Fleishertoon level but below Christopher Reeve world turning level. Kind of golden age but still having flight and heat-vision etc.

I guess what I'm really trying to say though is that I think its important not to portray Superman as casually omnipotent, but to also not be afraid of or apologize for or over compensate for the fact he's a powerful character. Afterall he's not just a superhero, he's freakin Superman!

I also just kind of like the idea that his physical invunerability is the thing that really helps him take punishment but it's his will and his unrelenting desire to protect people that keeps you from ever really being able to take him down.

So long as he draws breath and a life or many lives are on the line, he's gettin back up. Heh, if I may be so bold as to flip a line from the first Terminator movie "That's what he does! THAT'S ALL HE DOES!"

But yeah, lose Kryptonite and lose Luthor as the main antagonist for at least the next two movies.

Last edited:
Lose the Green Kryptonite, we've had a mountain of it in Superman Returns & it has been used for so many things in Smallville its obsurd, Nitrous Kryptonide to boost car speeds, Kryptonite laced chewing gum etc

I think Smallville (in any incarnation) should definatly have alot of Kryptonite scattered about the place, but by the time Superman is Superman the meteors should be extremely hard to come by unless you knew that Kal-El arrived in Smallville.. which Lex Luthor shouldn't

The other colors are ok though, I like the Red Kryptonite effects, black & the Silver Kryptonite as well, particularly how Smallvillehas portrayed their effects, however these types are used as often as Green K should have been used in Smallville (TV)

Last edited:

Okay, maybe a bit more than Spider-man, but really, not by much. That scene in Spider-man 2 where he stops the train - if Superman were around that power level, and still had his other powers (speed, flight, etc), there would be a lot more obstacles that could be thrown in his path. He would still be "more powerful than a locomotive"... just not by much.

Superman Returns used Kryptonite in the most interesting and unique way.

I liked the way the scenes with the Kryptonite played out.

- Lex discovered who the father of Jason was through the proximity of the Kryptonite.
- The way Lex perverted and poisoned the last remains of Superman's home world with the use of the Kryptonite, making him throw his only connection to his home world off into space...
- The brutality of the scene on New Krypton with Superman being stabbed...it was just perfect.

I would prefer another villain use the Kryptonite...not Luthor. I think it is so redundant, because it has only been Luthor using the green rock.

Maybe Metallo would work out well.

Parasite wouldn't need it, Brainiac either, Bizarro, Doomsday, or Darkseid wouldn't need it...maybe we'll see them in a film and not need to use the Kryptonite...

The best way to put Superman in peril is to put Metropolis in danger....so create an incredible City-wide threat that will really test Superman....if the villain requires the rock, use it.

If avoidable- you don't need it to have an interesting story.

-R

As far as depowering him....

Why not to the level of the Superman: Animated Series? He's still a God by mortals standards...

But he can be equaled or at least, rivaled in strength.

-R

Yeah, someone should be able to strap on a suit of power armour and give him a run for his money.

Honestly I hate this misconception that Superman only weakness is magic(honestly they should consider doing a movie with magical beings) and Kryptonite. Sure the man is invulnerable to most human weapons. Thats why in a sci fi comic they create new weapons. They used sound waves, energy waves, time waves, color rays etc. The Bad guy is supposed to come up with a interesting way to challenge the hero. Take the Flsh rouges. Very few of them actually tackle the flash speed. They find other ways. Mirror master traps him in mirrors.

Honestly I hate this misconception that Superman only weakness is magic(honestly they should consider doing a movie with magical beings) and Kryptonite. Sure the man is invulnerable to most human weapons. Thats why in a sci fi comic they create new weapons. They used sound waves, energy waves, time waves, color rays etc. The Bad guy is supposed to come up with a interesting way to challenge the hero. Take the Flsh rouges. Very few of them actually tackle the flash speed. They find other ways. Mirror master traps him in mirrors.

Okay, maybe a bit more than Spider-man, but really, not by much. That scene in Spider-man 2 where he stops the train - if Superman were around that power level, and still had his other powers (speed, flight, etc), there would be a lot more obstacles that could be thrown in his path. He would still be "more powerful than a locomotive"... just not by much.

Oh I'm definitely with you there. If you've ever stood on a train platform as a train rolls thru at relatively high speed it demonstrates just how impressive "more powerful than a locomotive" can be.

That being said, Superman really should have no trouble stopping the train in Spder-Man 2. I dare say that he shouldn't even break a sweat.

The thing is as you point out Superman is much more than just strength; the sum of his powers when used in concert is far greater than any of the individual parts. There isn't much that would stand up to an invulnerable object, that is more powerful than a locomotive, and is propelled at a fantastic rate of speed.

I'm with you here.......Green K is the lazy way out for writers to find a challenge for Superman.

Re. magic..........
It's a common mis-conception that Superman is vulnerable to the generic nature of magic. Superman is powerless only against the specific nature of an enchantment. For instance a sword that is enchanted to slay dragons would be no more effective against Superman than a non-enchanted sword, however a sword that is enchanted to cut thru absolutely anything would cut Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"