Larry Fong will not be working on "Superman"

Film Internet News Lesson 1: Never trust IMDB for a movie that isn't out yet.

Well, if it is true, he seems like a decent choice.

Hmm, I'm not that familiar with this DP and I have seen only one movie (Bad Boys II) from his works. I hope this is not true because I wanted another DP for Man of Steel but this guy might be a good choice but, we just have to wait and see if this is true or not.

He was the DP on Bad Boys 2. Michael Shannon was in Bad Boys 2.

IT'S A BAD BOYS REUNION! :awesome:

Film Internet News Lesson 1: Never trust IMDB for a movie that isn't out yet.

True, if you're talking about writers, directors, and actors attached. It's a bit more trustworthy when it comes to the crew members.

Have to take it with a pinch of salt either way.

David Brenner has joined the crew. He's edited numerous films for Roland Emmerich, like ID4, 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow. He also edited Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides alongside Marshall's usual editor Wyatt Smith.

Seems like Zack has assembled an ace crew to work on MOS.

I like that Snyder's not working a lot of his usual key crew members this time around. Not that I have a problem with any of them, it just makes me feel like he's breaking out of his usual mold for this, which is what I was hoping for.

I like that Snyder's not working a lot of his usual key crew members this time around. Not that I have a problem with any of them, it just makes me feel like he's breaking out of his usual mold for this, which is what I was hoping for.

It seems like WB and Nolan are 'encouraging' Snyder to go with more trustworthy and reliable people than the people he's previously worked with. I pray that also extends to the composer, and I have a feeling it won't be Tyler Bates or Hans Zimmer.

Although I think Amir Mokri is a bit similar to Larry Fong's style -- which is heavy contrast and hyperreal colors.

David Brenner has joined the crew. He's edited numerous films for Roland Emmerich, like ID4, 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow. He also edited Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides alongside Marshall's usual editor Wyatt Smith.

Seems like Zack has assembled an ace crew to work on MOS.

What exactly would he be doing? Is he an editor or director of photography? And if it is editor, what exactly is it an editor does?

I know they put the scenes together, but are they the ones who decide what gets cut out or is it the director? The "Director's Cut" DVDs has me confused. I know they don't decide in what order the scenes are put since it that is the job of the script writers. So I am a little bit in the dark here, I have an idea of what exactly an editor does, but not really.

If David Brenner is the principal film editor, then his job should be post-producing film sequence, e.g. adding and/or removing shots to create a coherent story with the direction of Snyder and the producers. For example in Stuart Baird's editing of Superman The Movie, the helicopter rescue sequences which consist of several shots that needed to be put together so as to add up to a coherent and suspenseful storytelling.

If David Brenner is the principal film editor, then his job should be post-producing film sequence, e.g. adding and/or removing shots to create a coherent story with the direction of Snyder and the producers. For example in Stuart Baird's editing of Superman The Movie, the helicopter rescue sequences which consist of several shots that needed to be put together so as to add up to a coherent and suspenseful storytelling.

So he doesn't put together entire scenes of a movie, like decide the rescue scene works better in the middle of the movie or something, but selects shots and puts them together to complete a scene. I was more under the impression that they just put together entire scenes. I hadn't realized that they have to go through the film shot-by-shot. Thanks.

It seems like WB and Nolan are 'encouraging' Snyder to go with more trustworthy and reliable people than the people he's previously worked with. I pray that also extends to the composer, and I have a feeling it won't be Tyler Bates or Hans Zimmer.

Although I think Amir Mokri is a bit similar to Larry Fong's style -- which is heavy contrast and hyperreal colors.

1. I have a feeling no matter what Snyder does with this film if it's good he won't get credit and if it's bad he will.

2. I'll take the Mokri look over Sigel's constantly forgotten photography.
(though usual supects hat a neat approach however dated)

Last edited:
So he doesn't put together entire scenes of a movie, like decide the rescue scene works better in the middle of the movie or something, but selects shots and puts them together to complete a scene. I was more under the impression that they just put together entire scenes. I hadn't realized that they have to go through the film shot-by-shot. Thanks.
Editor usually deals with the whole film sequence not just certain segments. In the example I presented, Stuart Baird was responsible for the overall content of Superman The Movie. I mentioned the helicopter rescue sequences because not only was it a famous sequence, but it was also a masterful piece of film editing using footages shot from a mixture of model and on-location photography.

What exactly would he be doing? Is he an editor or director of photography? And if it is editor, what exactly is it an editor does?

I know they put the scenes together, but are they the ones who decide what gets cut out or is it the director?

I know the subject here was that Snyder's usual collaborator Larry Fong, who is a cinematographer. The cinematographer (or DP for short) works closely with the director to establish certain lighting schemes, camera placement, film stocks and filters to achieve a certain look. Amir Mokri is the cinematographer for MOS, but Snyder mentioned he wasn't working with his usual editor either (that's why I mentioned David Brenner).

Brenner edits the film, as in he goes through each shot with the director and assembles each scene and entire sequences. Editing is a very time-consuming creative effort, and most editors join the production a month before shooting starts so they can get a feel of the rhythm and pacing the director is aiming for. Some editors, like Lee Smith and Michael Kahn actually go on set and start doing some preliminary work. (For some movies with a tight production schedule, the editors begin work during shooting so that the director can send finished scenes for CGI work and sound mixing.)

As for whoever decides which scenes go, it's a mix of the two. Maysie Hoy (sister of Bill Hoy who's also an editor) says that editing is a creative process and compromises have to be made depending on the relationship between the director and editor. As she puts it, "if a director likes 95% of the work you did on the film but wants to change that other 5%, you give them that." Some directors have a really good relationship with their editors that they let them work on it by themselves and then make small changes, while some directors go through each scene with the editor.

I'm really, really, really, disappointed that Larry Fong isn't working on this.

Up until now I was under the impression that he'd be working on this film.

Nice. Doing Bay films doesn't hurt. He's used to action. That's good.

I always thought that the helicopter sequence was a brilliant scene and I must give credit to Stuart Baird`s editing skills. Funnily enough I think he is absolute rubbish at directing. I give you "Star Trek: Nemesis" as my reason.

I'm really, really, really, disappointed that Larry Fong isn't working on this.

Up until now I was under the impression that he'd be working on this film.

Larry Fong isn't the "be all, end all" of cinematographers. There's literally hundreds of cinematographers out there who can do just as well or even better than Fong. There's Dion Beebe, Paul Murphy, Eduardo Serra, Oliver Wood, Roger Deakins, Wally Pfister, Mandy Walker, Amy Vincent....

And besides, even with a different DP, MOS will have Zack Snyder's fingerprints over it. Hopefully the good ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"