Larry Fong will not be working on "Superman"

It's true, Tattersall is a very versatile DP. It's just taken me a while to get over how awful I felt the SW prequels looked. I recently loved his work on the Walking Dead pilot, though, so I wouldn't complain if he were chosen.

The Star Wars prequels are more dated than the original Star Wars.

It's not just the characters, but the greenscreen: it's big and vast, but feels so empty and small. The flat camera angles and limited blocking (the placement of the actors) don't help either.

How about John Toll (The Thin Red Line, Braveheart and Legends of the Fall)? He is ,in my opinion, one of the best working cinematographers today.

Or Christopher Doyle (Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love and Hero)? His use of bright and vivid colours and great contrast make each of his films a stunning visual experience.

However, I think it's very unlikely any of the ones I mentioned would work on this. Anyway, I'm very intrigued to see who Snyder is going to hire as his DP for Man of Steel.

Doyle would never do Superman; Hell, he never does 'American' movies for that matter, besides a handful.

Yeah, he does mostly asian films but I thought that maybe together with his style and Snyder's would make a interesting combination.

How about John Toll (The Thin Red Line, Braveheart and Legends of the Fall)? He is ,in my opinion, one of the best working cinematographers today.

Or Christopher Doyle (Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love and Hero)? His use of bright and vivid colours and great contrast make each of his films a stunning visual experience.

However, I think it's very unlikely any of the ones I mentioned would work on this. Anyway, I'm very intrigued to see who Snyder is going to hire as his DP for Man of Steel.
OMG, how could I forget John Toll? He's one of my favorites, too. Aside from those classics you mentioned, I thought his recent work on The Adjustment Bureau and Tropic Thunder was great. He could do an awesome job on this, imo.

Doyle could be very interesting too, but I agree with Octoberist that he probably wouldn't be an option.

I would be down with John Toll.

OMG, how could I forget John Toll? He's one of my favorites, too. Aside from those classics you mentioned, I thought his recent work on The Adjustment Bureau and Tropic Thunder was great. He could do an awesome job on this, imo.

Doyle could be very interesting too, but I agree with Octoberist that he probably wouldn't be an option.

I agree, The Adjustment Bureau's impressive look can be credited to John Toll.

Another GREAT DP who at least appears to be available: Robert Richardson (Platoon, JFK, Kill Bill, The Aviator, Inglourious Basterds, Shutter Island). According to IMDB, his latest project is Scorsese's Hugo Cabret, and that has already wrapped.

Robert Richardson could be a good choice too.

How about Robert Elswit (There Will Be Blood, Good Night, and Good Luck and Magnolia)?
He has recently wrapped up Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol so I think he is also available.

They should be announcing who Snyders crew is going to be soon enough. They need to start bringing the production team together rather quickly for prep.

I hope Lee Smith can jump from editing TDKRises to MOS though. That would be a coup.

I guess we can take out Robert Richardson out from the list of candidates since he will be busy with World War Z.

Although it's unlikely that Lee Smith would be the editor for Man of Steel, it would be great if it happens. My dream editor for this would be Michael Kahn.

I hope Lee Smith can jump from editing TDKRises to MOS though. That would be a coup.

It'd be impossible. Even if Lee Smith edited on set during shooting of TDKR, the shooting AND post-production schedules for both movies would overlap. And Smith probably wouldn't like moving to another superhero film after finishing another. There are plenty of good editors out there -- you don't have to get the most expensive/prestigious ones.

Check out the ACE Roster for yourself.

What about Emmanuel Lubezki, who did the cinematography for Children of Men?

That film was amazingly shot and had that very real look to it.

I absolutely adored the cinematography in that film. Here's a nice little vid I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRqS9dTHQc&feature=related

Also, love the movie enough to take an interest in Clive Owen, who I think is a really good actor who is open to many different roles, and would make an interesting left wing choice for Lex Luthor if they can't get someone with huge star power like they probably want too.

And maybe also worth noting that Michael Cain stars in that movie.

I absolutely adored the cinematography in that film. Here's a nice little vid I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRqS9dTHQc&feature=related

I think if Emmanuel Lubiezki was available to shoot Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, it would probably look a LOT like what Michael Seresin did. Speaking of which, I think Seresin's work marked the first change of tone for the Potter series in general, and Bruno Delbonnel's work was the second change. Both are just wonderfully-shot movies in general.

I think someone like Seresin can provide realism (see Angela's Ashes) but flexible enough for fantasy like Superman.

Or Robert D. Yeoman. His simple but beautiful camerawork in Whip It was very beautiful and distinguished without calling attention to itself.

According to IMDB, Amir Mokri will be the DP for Man of Steel. (That could change during pre-production.) Mokri's done some nice work on Fast & Furious and worked on two Michael Bay films (the most recent being Transformers 3).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0596360/

Well, it's something. Casting news has been real quiet... maybe they'll announce the rest of the cast at SDDC' 11?

We'll know the rest of the cast before then.

As for Mokri, he's not a director-of-photography I follow personally. So I'm indifferent towards his hiring. All power to him though.

Last edited:
According to IMDB, Amir Mokri will be the DP for Man of Steel. (That could change during pre-production.) Mokri's done some nice work on Fast & Furious and worked on two Michael Bay films (the most recent being Transformers 3).

After clicking the link I realized out of the last 10 movies his done I've seen 8 and liked 8 in the capacity of the expertise he brings. A couple I loved. It appears I am a fan of his work. What I see here is another nice pick to the team and another reason to be optimistic.

When I went to see Thor in IMAX 3D they had the preview to Transformers 3.(not a fan of transformers btw)I think it was with a skyscraper toppling over, and it was super crisp, vivid and very very real. I realize the building is CGi, but the stuff around it looked super real, and I'm thinking... hopefully MOS looks this real. So if this is the guy, and he had a hand in those scenes MOS could look extremely real as opposed to the usual GGi fest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"