The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Legitimate concerns about TASM 2 (NO BAITING AND BE RESPECTFUL)

Too much action, Over-Saturated quips, levels in TASM were fine, Harry being some kind of Goblin first, above all...

Too much focus on the Sinister Six

My biggest concern, as I've mentioned before, is that we've all seen too much already from the marketing. Too many money shots spoiled.

My biggest concern, as I've mentioned before, is that we've all seen too much already from the marketing. Too many money shots spoiled.

That too would've been cool to see some of those shots the first time in theater. I do blame myself however for not resisting.

That too would've been cool to see some of those shots the first time in theater. I do blame myself however for not resisting.

We as the fans and moviegoers shouldn't have to resist the marketing of a movie to get the full enjoyment out of a film. The studios should be able to resist throwing too much marketing out to sell their movie.

I just want the film to feel slick. TASM felt so rough at times, with editing and such. I just want to feel quality from start to finish. I'm not too worried about straying from the comics. These are elseworld tales and I aprreciate a fresh approach.

I just want the film to feel slick. TASM felt so rough at times, with editing and such. I just want to feel quality from start to finish. I'm not too worried about straying from the comics. These are elseworld tales and I aprreciate a fresh approach.

Ah this too. Pacing can be bad. TWS I thought had good pacing and the dialogue most of the time contained a lot of the main matter of the movie. Very captivating. But thumbs up on your last couple of sentences.

Hi, my name is JOE and one of my few concerns with the movie is Electro. I feel as he's going to be great visually, but weak and cliche as a character.

It just feels like we're in an AA meeting discussing our problems and feelings about the movie like this lol.

^ I don't think I'll have too much of a problem if that were true. It's Electro lol. I at least would want his powers to have a great effect on Spider-Man, but as far as overall, he's B-List.

Marc has stressed over and over again how Electro is the main villain, and the movie is more about him than Goblin or Rhino. That's what worries me, you don't want a weak nucleus.

Well all he said was that Electro is the main villain. And that he's Spider-Man's main adversary in terms of combat.

I'm not saying that he's going to be a one trick pony and Spider-Man can defeat him in five seconds. I'm sure Electro's powers (as you can see in the trailer) create a serious danger against Spidey.

But I think the main driving force, the real, rooted, opponent is Harry/OsCorp together. I feel Electro will sort of be...not a side story, but a villain that has light shined on (origin told) and OsCorp's "pet".

Rhino has 4 minutes of screen time, the Goblin will have around 5-8 seeing as he's only in the finale. Electro gets the majority, probably a total of 15 minutes when you include his origin scenes, times square battle, power plant etc.

Hi, my name is JOE and one of my few concerns with the movie is Electro. I feel as he's going to be great visually, but weak and cliche as a character.

It just feels like we're in an AA meeting discussing our problems and feelings about the movie like this lol.

It doesn't help that the new thread title is so patronizing.:whatever:

I get that there are a lot of die-hards that have already made up their mind that the film will be great.But they are the ones that are over defensive when some of us point out there are some pretty glaring issues that the film will have to overcome to win us skeptics over.

It doesn't help that the new thread title is so patronizing.:whatever:

I get that there are a lot of die-hards that have already made up their mind that the film will be great.But they are the ones that are over defensive when some of us point out there are some pretty glaring issues that the film will have to overcome to win us skeptics over.

Yeah. I mean, I have my own problems. But honestly, Harry being GG first doesn't bother me at all. A lot of these things just don't bother me. I don't attack others for being bothered, it's just that I don't see the point.

Yeah maybe, but it's still not a retcon. It might stand out as a bit strange, but then he doesn't really talk about Norman Osborn himself either, so I guess not mentioning Harry in that context is not that strange.

A retcon would be him saying he didn't know the Osborns in the first movie.

The problem was them making Peter such a socially awkward outcast in the first one.Now we're supposed to believe he always had friends.(or at least "friend".:woot:)

The problem was them making Peter such a socially awkward outcast in the first one.Now we're supposed to believe he always had friends.(or at least "friend".:woot:)

I think it's like a elementary friend, he's been gone for 10 years. He was friends with him when he was 7-9 years old. That can make you a socially awkward high schooler if you lost a friend a long time before high school.

Nothing;) I joke. Electro is my concern in the film.

We as the fans and moviegoers shouldn't have to resist the marketing of a movie to get the full enjoyment out of a film. The studios should be able to resist throwing too much marketing out to sell their movie.

true, because if they release all this is for people to see, so is THEIR responsability to keep the surprises for the theater

:up:

I'm just concerned over the handling of Harry since he wasn't established in TASM1, and the handling of Aunt May since I felt she didn't get enough screentime in TASM1.

But the trailers at least give the impression Harry is more sinister than he first lets on, because of the Oscorp surveillance. He seems to know Peter is Spidey.

As for future films, I am rather concerned about how they're setting up the Sinister Six. The rest can be plain old thugs but what about Ock?

But nevertheless TASM2 looks like a big improvement over TASM1 which could feel too "by the numbers". The more radical changes they're making, like with old sick Norman, give sort of a chaotic, uncertain feeling to this universe so it's good that they shake things up. It also looks more comic booky unlike recent DC films (and TASM1), which is a breath of fresh air.

I have no problems with the Rhino mech, I just can't see the 616 Rhino working in film. If they made him a mutant, it would be the Lizard all over again and that would be tiring. I can live with the Harry Goblin design, it's not instant-classic but he looks like a goblin enough for me. They couldn't do the Gwen/Goblin stuff like the comics because Spider-Man 1 did that with MJ and a bus and he saved both, so there's no use complaining about accuracy there.

The early reviews have also mostly left me positive, some stuff that people don't like I can shrug off because it's in keeping with the Spider-Man world. Like
tonal shift or dissonance
if that's worth spoiling. There's always been that kind of thing.

Last edited:
It's a bit like that. *
gif_131x101_db311f.gif

* no need to use the :oldrazz: emoticon.

I'm concerned about pacing from one scene to another in TASM2. It's the one major gripe I had with TASM, and it didn't help things when the score would suddenly drop / shift in tone to highlight what was obviously a choppy edit in post production.

Eg- the library fight in TASM suddenly cutting to Pete shaking off the damage from his recent bout and a jarring note in the score with a suddenly missing Lizard.

Things like that really took me out of the otherwise enjoyable movie experience. I really don't want the same to happen in TASM2. Some of the reviews have mentioned issues with a 'tonal shift' in TASM2, but I can handle that, as long as the technicalities of filmmaking have preserved the pacing and haven't been hampered by an overzealous editing crew, I may be delighted.

I'm operating under the assumption that Gwen dies at the end, just because that's what Gwen Stacy does, and it makes me sad that MJ is not in the film. Because to me, the most moving part of the two-part story where Gwen died in the books is the final page of the second part -

gilkane-amazingspider-man-122.jpg

This scene is great because not only does it offer a glimmer of hope in a very very dark tale...but it lets a female character have some free will. Gwen's death is the Grand-daddy of the Woman in the Fridge syndrome that plagues so much superhero fiction.

Gwen is known for one thing in the comics. Dying. Now Emma Stone has already made the character greater than she's ever been in any comic (outside Marvels #4 maybe). So that's a good thing. But in the end, Gwen dies to teach Peter a lesson. This sequence with MJ let's a female character step-up and do something heroic on a much less operatic level. A shame we won't see it in the film.

Last edited:
Paper thin plot (which the hype review alluded to) and too much set up for the next one and not enough focus on the movie at hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"