Les Miserables: One Thread More!

And I speak here in her voice... :(

AND I STAND HERE IN HER PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE :(

Oh Christ... :csad:

The first time I saw the show, I was in the second row, right in front of Valjean when he sang that part, knelt down, took her hand and sang "Cosette shall have a father now..."

They were like 10 feet in front of me, my heart just melted. I always hated that they cut that scene.

Please know me as Javert
I'm here at your command
With honor due to each
And justice in our hand
No man's beyond our reach

Let all beware

:atp:

Probably my favorite lyric change, during Come to Me:

"Come Cosette, my child, where did you go?!?!"

Totally made that scene even more powerful.

The audible sob in the audience when Cosette actually appeared during that song in the movie was hilarious...

Gavroche's second verse is my new favorite thing EVER!

There was a time we killed the King
He tried to change the world too fast
Now we have got another King
He is no better than the last!

This is the land that fought for _______ :huh:
Now when we fight we fight for bread
Here is the thing about equality
Everyone's equel when they're dead.
I love that part! I have the screenplay, and the word you're looking for is "liberty."

Ya know, I never thought to check the screenplay. Hahaha.

One thing that is still bothering me about [BLACKOUT]Javert's Suicide is that he doesn't jump as he sings "ooooooon". The music practically dictates that that's' when he jumps, but he jumps after. [/BLACKOUT] :huh:

Its a bit silly, don't you think? Almost comical. Changed for the better.

I think it'd be silly too if he was belting out one last note as he plunged into the river.

The sound of the impact was comical enough.

One thing that is still bothering me about [BLACKOUT]Javert's Suicide is that he doesn't jump as he sings "ooooooon". The music practically dictates that that's' when he jumps, but he jumps after. [/BLACKOUT] :huh:
I'm cool with it. [BLACKOUT]As out of place as the "oooonnn" sounds without jumping, it would have looked odd seeing him sing it the way he fell. Combine that with the CRUNCH right as he landed, it would be the most unintentionally hilarious moment in the film.[/BLACKOUT]

I really have to pay attention next time, I didn't notice the noise! As he was falling in the river, I was thinking "oh, that's the dummy we saw hauled up by a rope in the video a few weeks before release!" That's what I was concentrating on!

Its just a moment from the show that I never thought would translate well on screen as is. The way they altered it is just how I imagined they would.

But to jump from that height its pretty much a certainty he's dead. No need to show the impact like that. A fair number of people laughed when it happened at my screening. It would've been fine to show him hit the water and not come up.

It actually evoked a "Woooo, you know he dead!" comment a la Rush Hour.

[BLACKOUT]I still wanted Javert to come back and sing at the end, all battered and waterlogged.[/BLACKOUT] :o

In a way, reading all the negative reviews of Crowe's singing helped, because he was nowhere near as bad as one might have expected based on what some people were saying. I'd rate his contributions as ranging from adequate to good, depending on the song; he's no Philip Quast, but he serves well enough, and in a few places (the arrest of Fantine and "The Confrontation" I thought he was really standout; the latter number is really well-staged).

Jackman, Hathaway, Barks and Redmayne were all terrific. I thought Amanda Seyfried was good too, though Cosette is a pretty thankless role in a lot of ways (her reaction to Valjean's death at the end was wrenching).

There's one bit that was in the script that I'm a little disappointed didn't make it into the movie, though perhaps it would have been difficult to convey onscreen. The script had the reprise of "Do You Hear the People Sing?" playing during a flashforward to the 1848 revolution that toppled the July Monarchy (which the revolt depicted in the movie failed to do).

Putting the Bishop in at the end of Valjean's death was a wonderful decision.

Les Miserables as a musical is a challenge to film in some ways, because it's full of long, angsty solos that aren't especially cinematic. Hooper eschews what I suspect would have been most directors' instincts, to incorporate montage elements into them, in favour of continuous extreme close-up, which has proven controversial, but I think really works (in a way it seems like can't win, either he's being called too conventional or too unconventional).

CaptainCanada, I would have preferred that the bishop had not appeared in the scene of Valjean's death and it was good they left out Eponine's appearance in that scene also.

It would have been great to see JVJ enter into the presence of G-d in some other way. Maybe not into the outstretched hands of his Saviour and Lord - but some other way.

I saw it yesterday. It won't be released until the 18th of January in Estonia, but there were some special pre-screenings. I was in a state of complete euphoria when I heard about that!

What can I say? It made me love the musical ten times more, something which I thought was not possible. I see it all in a different light now. And never have I left cinema with such feelings. Definitely the best movie I have ever seen. I went with my family, they knew nothing about the musical, but now they can't wait to see it again ...

I think Crowe absolutely ROCKED his part, and I LOVED Seyfried as well. Cinematography was splendid, as it was in the King's Speech, it was powerful and made the movie a lot more interesting. There was nothing wrong with pace or editing, and I actually liked the second act more than the first, maybe because the music was more enjoyable.

There was one or two moments when the film got boring. Both "drink with me" and "bring him home" gave the feeling "oh, great, another song", as did "Empty chairs..." (although I love this song and Eddie was so great). I think a few people left the cinema during these songs. But soon the film was OK again.

So it wasn't a completely flawless movie, but god, this movie has changed the art of movie-making, and not only musical movies. "Argo" is a flawless movie but I would unhesitatingly throw it to the garbage bin if I had to choose between this and Les Mis.

I just can't get this movie out of my head and it's not about humming the songs ... there was some applause at the end, and estonians are not the ones applauding usually...

The biggest disappointment was estonian translation. They used the translations that was once made for the stage show, where they had to carefully count the syllables. It was HORRIBLE, completely unnatural and at times completely untrue to what thety actually sang. I consider writing a letter to whoever has the authority of changing this ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"