Les Miserables: One Thread More!

Seeing it again at 3 today. :woot:

He's entitled to his opinion. It didn't sound like "blasted" them per se, but rather he wanted broadway caliber singers.

Sounds more like Adam Lambert is pretending to still be relevant.

Yeah I had to think for a minute who Adam Lambert was until I clicked on the article and read it.

Lambert's opinion is pretty ridiculous considering Jackson won a Tony award. Hathaway I know has had previous singing experience. My only complaint on the singing is like I say, I'm not a big fan of these movies where they are crying and showing great emotion to the point where it compromises the singing. I understand why they do it, I'm just not a big fan of it.

Crowe was probably the most out of his element, and I thought he did a fantastic job. It's amazing to think that the singing was all captured during the performances, as most movies go and do that stuff in a sound studio where they can perfect it.

The only time anyone's singing distracted me was it took me a couple scenes to get used to Crowe breaking into song, but after that, I thought he did fine.

I didn't have major issues with anyone.

Eh, screw Adam lambert. Never liked the guy

Soon we have Swift saying "I could have saved this film from Samantha Barks, but no-one was listening to me!"

Being in Australia, I don't know much about Adam Lambert.

He is kinda strange looking!

Finally saw it. Great film, the cinematography was excellent. Certainly will be a best picture nominee. I think it's passed the successful musical film adaptation test, as it's already made more than Phantom and Sweeney Todd.

My only complaint, is I don't like when directors decide in musicals to have people bawl and sob while they are singing, I think it ruins the melodies.

Other than that just a brilliant production.

10/10

I wish they never made that film version of Phantom. Kills me.

A Phantom film with live singing as it was done in Les Miz, directed by someone more capable than Joel Schumacher, and starring a classically trained actor as the Phantom would most likely amount to one of (if not the) best film musicals of all time.

i thought russle crowe was fantastic
i loved his version of "Stars"
walking along the rails was a nice touch aswell

In this film version, Anne's 'I Dreamed a Dream" was such a splendid high point for me that I think the movie peaked a little too early, never quite regaining the sheer power and emotion that was displayed in that scene.
Indeed. It was simply an amazing, show stealing moment of film. I was sitting back in my chair with my eyes wide open taking it all in. I've seen Anne call the performance 'eh' in an interview after twenty takes, but she's being extremely modest. John Lennon wasn't satisfied with Beatles songs upon reflection and as well. I liked the movie. It was an emotional one that's for sure.

A Phantom film with live singing as it was done in Les Miz, directed by someone more capable than Joel Schumacher, and starring a classically trained actor as the Phantom would most likely amount to one of (if not the) best film musicals of all time.

The Phantom movie would have been fine if not for Gerard Butler (and Minnie Driver to a lesser extent). That one casting decision completed ****** the entire film.

I blame it on director Shumacher and his insistence to Andrew Lloyd Webber that the Phantom and Christine should be played by a quite young actor and actress.

Also, the lack of a deformity of anything horrifying was a real let down, as was the Phantom wearing thick black leather gloves and not wearing that wonderful hat!

The thing is Emmy Rossum and Patrick Wilson were so well cast in their roles, it is a testament to how bad that movie was given Gerard Butler's strained performance. But even if Hugh Jackman, who was originally approached, played the Phantom, it would not have saved the movie from Schumacher turning everything into schmaltzy harlequinn paperback romance clichés and completely missing the point of the Phantom's suffering and appearance.

Aye, I wish there was another version.

Okay now I kind of want to see The Phantom...

Yes, definitely get the 25th anniversary Royal Albert Hall performance!

While I didn't find "Stars" or Javert's final song impressive, I understand what they were going for, and think it partially worked. I think it's pretty clear that Crowe's take on Javert was built around precision, structure, and that his reserved performance was not an accident, but likely something the actor and director decided on early to reflect his inner conflict. The cinematography, arrangement and much of the choregraphy point to this as well.

The Phantom movie would have been fine if not for Gerard Butler (and Minnie Driver to a lesser extent). That one casting decision completed ****** the entire film.

The role of the Phantom is pretty much the most vocally-challenging role on Broadway. He needs to have the ability to be completely commanding and powerful, and then switch to soft and tender at a moment's notice. Gerard Butler's tone deaf performance (really, even Auto-tune couldn't save him) was probably the biggest reason that the film just didn't work, but not the only reason. Even his mannerisms were so boring and un-Phantom-like.

I thought the casting was great. Even Minnie Driver didn't bother me (her singing was dubbed by another vocalist). It was mostly Schumacher's direction that kept the film from reaching its true potential. I even loved the black and white into color and the book-ending sequences, but there are many other questionable choices/changes/additions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"