Days of Future Past X-men Sequel worldwide BOX-OFFICE predictions

I think it's especially unlikely considering that the original trilogy never got near a billion, despite being Wolverine-centred and featuring the line-up of popular characters. If anything was close to the Avengers-style all-star team, surely the original movies were it.

I don't see why anyone would think that mixing the original cast with their younger versions would suddenly cause a box office explosion.

The X-Men did good box office at the times they were released. But the landscape has changed for superhero movies, partly because of the path laid by films like the X-Men, partly because of more solid treatment of these franchises (Warner/Nolan, Marvel/Feige/Whedon).

Somehow The Last Stand - the way it portrayed teamwork and the scale of its climax - seem much more tame than Avengers, which really embraced the idea of a super-team against a global threat.

The X-Men are also much more furtive and 'in hiding' than Avengers.

I think it's time now for a more structured, confident approach to the X-Men. Go big, but don't forget the character development and themes that the X-Men has and the Avengers totally lacked.

DoFP will be great for doing some housekeeping on the continuity. It could even allow for some character moments for Xavier and his struggles with disability.

First Class Xavier could learn that future Xavier is/was still in a wheelchair, and hence has to accept there is no advancement in medicine that will enable him to walk again

It could even be mentioned by Xavier that 'I did have some success with an experimental treatment developed with Erik in the 1980s, but in the end my body rejected it, and it didn't last in the long term' - and that could explain how Xavier was walking at the end of Wolverine and the beginning of The Last stand. The reference to Erik being a hint at the comics story where Magneto used nanobots to enable Xavier to walk again.

also, I really can't see how Wolverine can be the one to go against Magneto. We saw how that turned out in X1 and X3 (where he was flung miles through the forest). Unless they want to show his adamantium being ripped out.

And what about the 60s version of Wolverine we saw in First Class? Is he going to be around? Wouldn't that be before he had the metal put in?
it would be interesting to have a scene with future Magneto running into Past wolverine (before he has his metal) and Magneto just being like "there's something different about you"

Wolverine comes charging at him, and Magneto just holds out his hand to trying to stop him, an it does nothing... an you just see that oh s*** look on his face lol

it would be interesting to have a scene with future Magneto running into Past wolverine (before he has his metal) and Magneto just being like "there's something different about you"

Wolverine comes charging at him, and Magneto just holds out his hand to trying to stop him, an it does nothing... an you just see that oh s*** look on his face lol

I think future Magneto would be able to sense the lack of metal in Wolverine, and would also be aware that Wolverine hadn't yet undergone the procedure in the 1960s because X2 showed he knew of Stryker's involvement...

maybe...

I was more picturing a scenario where old magneto is unexpectedly brought back in time and he didn't know when or where he was, yet...

If this movie is going to have Halle Berry and Hugh Jackman, I say $500 million.

I just want Fox to learn with Avengers! Keep the quality and elegance of X-men first class and make it bigger, mmooore epiic!!It needs to amaze people!It needs to be a real X-men movie! Is it so hard? I want it to make plenty of money. Want x-men movies forever lol

me too!

like 10 more movies or so, and Id be happy for the rest of my life, lol

With Marvel's unanounced project moving to 8/1/2014 that is certainly going to steal some of the BO thunder away from the FC sequel. And it all but guarantees no 3 weeks at #1 in the BO.

mm, didnt thought about that!

damm...

well, maybe Fox moves the sequel to May, some weeks after the Spiderman sequel.... who knows?

Remember when I said Fox shouldn't let the unannounced Marvel film scare them away
from May 2014 release.Well now Marvel has their film moved to August.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes has memorial day now.

X-Men:Days of Future Past will have cast from first Class(the best receive criticly 2011 comic book film) with a few cast members from earlier films.I am not worried about It's box office.

If this movie is going to have Halle Berry and Hugh Jackman, I say $500 million.

I can understand why Hugh Jackman would be a draw, but Halle Berry? Her career hasn't exactly been hot in the last six years, and I never got an impression that Storm was all that popular with general movie goers. To me personally, she just mostly seemed awkward in the role.

people just like to see more well known faces together. And the press would pay more attention to the movie, without doubt. It would be kind of an event, to have both actors coming back, instead of just Hugh.

And at the same time, I think some users give Hugh to much credit. If we take a look at the boxoffice of all his movies... he isnt a guarantee of a big impact at all.

On the list of the top 20/30 biggest movies in history, he isnt there, so we should open our minds a little bit.

The biggest movies in history arent about the actors at all, but about the issue and genre and the general audience's taste.

I can understand why Hugh Jackman would be a draw, but Halle Berry? Her career hasn't exactly been hot in the last six years, and I never got an impression that Storm was all that popular with general movie goers. To me personally, she just mostly seemed awkward in the role.

Halle Berry seems to get a mixed response from the internet crowd, some of whom seem to hate her with a passion, but I've never heard bad stuff from mainstream viewers.

Storm is a popular character who has been treated mainly as a special effects machine in the movies (much like Riptide was in First Class). It's true to say she does allow for some spectacular actions scenes, but it's a shame her backstory hasn't been a little more explored.

I'm a Storm fan, of course, but I think it's fair to say the character has several things to offer: 1) another female character 2) a powerful character 3) a black character 4) a sexy (visually appealing) character 4) exciting action/effects sequences.

And that's all without including her interesting origin story.

The films have really missed an opportunity to show her choice and responsibility in leaving behind the tribes in Africa - where she protected people who worshipped her for her powers - to come to a Western society where she protected a people who hate her for her mutant powers. That is a brilliant angle to explore. She decided to live in a totally opposite world, where she (and the rest of mutantkind) is feared and hated rather than revered.

Regardless of whether Halle Berry is involved or not, I think Storm deserves to be a part of this franchise. Whether we need her in the First Class franchise is arguable (as she has had very good exposure in the existing films, even without the inclusion of backstory), but the African origin of the comics gives her an interesting standpoint that could be used - and her connection to Shadow King could be utilised.

It's clear that at least the excitement and drama of weather powers is recognised by the producers/director/writers or we wouldn't have had Riptide in First Class. He was just Storm-lite, and ironically just as forgotten and dismissed as Storm. In fact, even more so, as he had zero dialogue.

totally agree with all your points.

That's why Id like to see Storm in the third of fourth part of this new series.

but not yet. Scott and Jean should come first, to have a worthy introduction, and after that, its time for young Storm.

Each time I think about the possibility to see young Storm and Banshee both flying in a future x-men movie I get really excited.

It would be such an epic moment, for me, after the past movies without any decent flying scene.

With Marvel's unanounced project moving to 8/1/2014 that is certainly going to steal some of the BO thunder away from the FC sequel. And it all but guarantees no 3 weeks at #1 in the BO.

2014 is shaping up to be another crowded summer anyway. Captain America 2, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Ninja Turtles, Robopocalypse, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Transformers 4, X-Men First Class 2 and the untitled Marvel movie.

Transformers is a guaranteed smash, the next Apes will also do well. The rest are less certain at this stage.

X-Men is three weeks after Transformers and two weeks before the untitled Marvel movie. Would it make any difference to bring X-Men forward so it's two weeks after Transformers? Not sure.

But at least the time-travel DoFP of the X-Men arrives before the Marvel film, which seems likely to be the time-travel story of Guardians of the Galaxy.

These summers are now so crowded that films don't have time to breathe.

There are too many movies being made, we all lead very busy lives without much leisure time to see them all, and in this economy people are being careful with their money so they don't take the risks in seeing everything.

I hear at work all the time how people haven't had chance to get to see a film and some give up and say they will wait for the DVD, or that it's too expensive to take all the family to see it.

But at least the time-travel DoFP of the X-Men arrives before the Marvel film, which seems likely to be the time-travel story of Guardians of the Galaxy.
Yeah, dont have to worry about the copycat debates anymore. I think people would jump on X Men alot heavier.

Halle Berry seems to get a mixed response from the internet crowd, some of whom seem to hate her with a passion, but I've never heard bad stuff from mainstream viewers.

I have a cynical suspicion that if the studio wanted to add a female character to the First Class series they'd want to go with someone younger. Hollywood is much less kind to ageing women as opposed to men, I wouldn't be surprised if age is partly a reason why Halle hasn't been onscreen much in the last few years.

Fox has a pretty good portion of that covered with Jennifer Lawrence, but who knows? Beyond that, I can't think of another young woman that would be more of a box office draw than even an older Halle Berry reprising her role as Storm.

Last edited:
Fox has a pretty good portion of that covered with Jennifer Lawrence, but who knows? Beyond that, I can't think of another young woman that would be more of a box office draw than even an older Halle Berry reprising her role as Storm.

Yes indeed, Halle Berry would add star power.

If they want someone younger, maybe Zoe Saldana or Paula Patton who are a decade younger than Halle.

If they wanted someone in their teens or 20s, it gets more difficult. Freida Pinto?

If they wanted someone older than Halle, then how about Iman, who is still stunning at 56 and was the physical basis for comic book Storm in the first place. Or they could use Iman to play Storm's mother if they ever used the origin story.

Last edited:
Yes indeed, Halle would add star power.

If they want someone younger, maybe Zoe Saldana or Paula Patton who are a decade younger than Halle.

If they wanted someone in their teens or 20s, it gets more difficult.

If they wanted someone older than Halle, then how about Iman, who is still stunning at 56 and was the physical basis for comic book Storm in the first place.

I disagree. Berry isn't a draw anymore, she hasn't really DONE anything since TLS (where I heard there was some serious salary disputes between her and FOX and her arguing for more screentime, not a happy memory for the company). I completely forgot about her, and people younger than me who are just getting into the movies will not be more interested because Halle is in it. The salary she'd want for the role would certainly not be made up for with the teensy boost in ticket sales. Not to mention, she didn't exactly own the character. I'd put her behind JJ's Emma and Deathstrike for worst female X-Men movie portrayal, but not far behind. I don't get FOX's fear of powerful and aggressive female characters.

If Storm is to be in the sequel, she should be young. Her origin story is interesting enough and olderStorm in the older movies didn't offer us any shred of interesting story to warrant bringing her back. Sorry dude, I know you love Storm but to me she was a way better character in the old cartoon and comics. Halle couldn't seem to figure out who Storm was. Her personality (and accent) changed in all three films, and not in a growing-character-arc way but more of an I-can't-remember-this-character-let's-wing-it way. I really can't see what HalleStorm could bring to the table that a wee Storm couldn't, and make more exciting while doing it.

At this point the only remaining X-Men I can see as BO draws are Sir Patrick and Sir Ian.

Last edited:
At this point the only remaining X-Men I can see as BO draws are Sir Patrick and Sir Ian.

I'd probably say that what they'd add to the film is a certain prestige and class, rather than actual BO draw.

Halle couldn't seem to figure out who Storm was.

Yeah, that was my feeling as well. Though I think that the director was probably just as much to blame for Storm being a kinda "nothing" character.

I disagree. Berry isn't a draw anymore, she hasn't really DONE anything since TLS (where I heard there was some serious salary disputes between her and FOX and her arguing for more screentime, not a happy memory for the company).

Well, I can't find fault with someone wanting her character to be given more depth and meaning rather than being wallpaper and special effects. Good for her. Halle knew that Storm hadn't been given her due.

I completely forgot about her, and people younger than me who are just getting into the movies will not be more interested because Halle is in it. The salary she'd want for the role would certainly not be made up for with the teensy boost in ticket sales. Not to mention, she didn't exactly own the character. I'd put her behind JJ's Emma and Deathstrike for worst female X-Men movie portrayal, but not far behind.

I'm not at all campaigning for Halle/Storm to be in the next X-Men film, but I think that's a fairly harsh appraisal.

I don't get FOX's fear of powerful and aggressive female characters.

Not entirely sure about that either. Mystique was pretty aggressive and Storm and Phoenix were powerful in terms of action scenes. But none of those were that well developed/characterised and I think that there is a tendency in Hollywood to worry if female leads can carry a movie.

If Storm is to be in the sequel, she should be young. Her origin story is interesting enough and olderStorm in the older movies didn't offer us any shred of interesting story to warrant bringing her back.

No problem with a younger Storm, if it's a good Storm.

Sorry dude, I know you love Storm but to me she was a way better character in the old cartoon and comics.

Agree about the comics, but didn't like the cartoon version with that silly deep voice and those element-commanding speeches ('Arctic winds, heed my call!' and all that theatrical nonsense).

Halle couldn't seem to figure out who Storm was. Her personality (and accent) changed in all three films, and not in a growing-character-arc way but more of an I-can't-remember-this-character-let's-wing-it way. I really can't see what HalleStorm could bring to the table that a wee Storm couldn't, and make more exciting while doing it.

I think that was down to the writing and directing.

Well, if they are going to show a future world with the X-Men, it has to be more than those two. Whether box office draws or not, it would be nice to have a cameo by others. I don't mind if Halle's Storm is among the group, but a couple of the others like Iceman or Colossus. And more than likely Wolverine is going to be included.

I'd probably say that what they'd add to the film is a certain prestige and class, rather than actual BO draw.
I think Fassbender and McAvoy can rock that on their own, actually. The class part anyway. I would be ok with one of the Sirs making a cameo but I don't want them dominating the film. I still think they'd be something of a BO draw (more than Wolverine at least) but again probs not enough to make it worth their salary. But then I really don't think ANY of the cast is, so I don't get this desire to throw them in with the new cast. The new cast is fresher and in my opinion, more interesting because they have so much potential for a second character-driven film. I'd like to learn why Alex was in jail, what is up with Sean's parents, how Hank is coping with being furry and (I imagine) cut off from society. And of course, how Charles, Erik, and Raven are dealing with their respective tragedies and newfound responsibilities. Also is it too much to ask for an Emma Frost with personality?

At this point I think the biggest BO draw is Fassbender, possibly even moreso than Lawrence despite her Hunger Games role. I'm not removing McAvoy from the equation as his performance is the one I'm most interested in for the sequel, but the fact of the matter is that he's not in the spotlight at the moment so I think his star power isn't as strong as the other two. Hopefully this doesn't affect his screentime. Charles has got a helluva fire to walk through.

Yeah, that was my feeling as well. Though I think that the director was probably just as much to blame for Storm being a kinda "nothing" character.
Oh totally. Actually I was discussing this with a friend recently and I really don't understand why these movies keep downplaying the powerful women in terms of personality. Or choosing to portray them at a time in a character's life where they're less confident. Take Rogue, for example. She's a pretty nervous character in the films, which makes sense as on a human contact level her power sucks, and she's just finding out about it and cutting herself off. But the Rogue I know (at least from the cartoon) is wildly sassy. Emma Frost is amazing in the comics, a super in-control, manipulative beeyatch, and yet in XMFC she's reduced to a quiet (boring) subordinate (and sadly I don't get the feeling that this was her plan all along and she was just waiting for a moment to strike. If anything I think she was genuinely manipulated by Shaw). Storm plays the first film as meek and a bit wary, and the second film as a more confident, but definitely quiet character. Deathstrike doesn't even speak, let alone lead (quite the opposite), and even Jean seems pretty shy. Kitty has always been a bit more bubbly in my mind than Ellen Page portrayed her. After all that the only one we have left is Mystique, who is definitely badass in her own right but she seems to be the only one. I don't get why this is at all. :/

Well, if they are going to show a future world with the X-Men, it has to be more than those two. Whether box office draws or not, it would be nice to have a cameo by others. I don't mind if Halle's Storm is among the group, but a couple of the others like Iceman or Colossus. And more than likely Wolverine is going to be included.
God I hope not. Still not convinced time travel is going to be an element in this movie, but I will go see it if it's done right.
But if they make yet ANOTHER GD movie about Wolverine, I will not pay money to see this movie. And I know I'm far from alone on that. 1 minute cameo is fine. But he brings absolutely NOTHING to the table that would warrant him in the film for longer than that. I love Wolverine and Hugh Jackman, really I do, but enough is enough already. XMFC is the start of something so much better... a series of films WITHOUT him. Honestly one of the reasons I loved XMFC was that it was fresh, it focused on different characters. Wolverine branching off into his own films is a perfect move, because it means that people who love the character can go enjoy even more of his story... and it means X-Men films no longer have to put him in the picture. Anything left to say about the character can be said in his own movies.

Last edited:

Not really and at least the 2014 X-Men movie won't be called the "3rd Marvel movie to be released this summer of 2014".

And I think the untitled Marvel movie won't be The Avengers 2 because I don't picture it getting an August release date.

At this point I think the biggest BO draw is Fassbender, possibly even moreso than Lawrence despite her Hunger Games role.

Well he's getting more recognition for sure but I don't know if he could be called a BO draw in any real sense. Apart from First Class, his other releases in 2011 were all little-seen films and Prometheus was promoted as a Ridley Scott film that links with Alien series. He's in a spotlight if you follow movie news and popular culture and suchlike, but outside of that I don't know if the majority of general public would even know who he is.

I think that the whole box-office draw idea might be obsolete nowadays, anyway. What seems to matter more is the movies themselves - the brand names and the franchises and the specific characters, not necessarily the actors who play them.

Oh totally. Actually I was discussing this with a friend recently and I really don't understand why these movies keep downplaying the powerful women in terms of personality. Or choosing to portray them at a time in a character's life where they're less confident.

The latter doesn't really bother me much, because with a character of either gender who starts off as less confident, there's more potential for character development and future growth and just more potential for drama and, well, angst :woot:

I suppose that because the films' main characters (and villains) are mostly male, female characters tend to be secondary, and as a result, they don't get as much development along with the secondary male characters.

(and sadly I don't get the feeling that this was her plan all along and she was just waiting for a moment to strike. If anything I think she was genuinely manipulated by Shaw)

My impression of Emma was more that she played a part when it came to Shaw, because it suited her to be with him and enjoy the whole luxurious lifestyle he was leading. Which makes me wonder if she'll actually enjoy being on Erik's team all that much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"