Let's talk Terminator 3...

Movies205

Corporate Money
Reaction score
So I saw Kevin's post about deperation sequals and I hadn't seen this since it came out and it was lying on my shelf so I figured what the hell let me watch it again, and you know what... It wasn't half bad :)
---
Terminator 3
Director: Jonathan Mostow
Rating: 7.5/10

What does 7.5 mean, like why do I tack on that .5? Well the .5 makes all the difference, it represents that shade of gray in reviews, that defection from the world of black and white, ultimately it’s that purgatory of the movie world between good and great. Terminator 3 is a well-crafted action film that’s not afraid to emerge with it’s own energetic style so what’s the problem? As finely crafted as it was, it couldn’t escape the innate sequel problem, however it handles it much better than most sequels. The sequel problem is why make a sequel in the first place, in terms of story. Terminator 2 was plagued by the same problem since logically the future should have been safe at the end of Terminator when Reese is able to protect Sarah Connor. James Cameron even admits this, that the only reason he made Terminator 2 was that he now had the technology to visually do a lot of what he wanted to do in the first Terminator. Terminator 2 in many respects is simply a remake of Terminator 1, however it overcomes the sequel problem by adding new and interesting dynamics to the story. In Terminator 2 the plot’s change slightly by actually changing the future, Arnold is now the good guy, Linda Hamilton’s transformation, and of course the amazing special effects. Enough was added to in the justify a sequel and this has happened before most notably Evil Dead 2 and of course it’s failed horrible like Escape from L.A. So we get to Terminator 3, what have they exactly added? A female terminator, John Connor is grown up, a new philosophy that the future can‘t be changed, and we get to see how the end of the world happens. Well the first two are really superficial and the last two don’t come into effect till the last thirty minutes. Terminator 3 story-wise for the majority of it is more of the same from the last two, that is the biggest killer of the film.

However the film overcomes this major flaw by being so well made. A lot of the action scenes in my opinion are jaw-dropping, especially the car chase scene in the beginning. I also really liked the look of the film, I remember when I first saw the film I really missed the dark and gritty cinematography of James Cameron, the entire film seemed far too “bright” in terms of color. However on second viewing I’ve really come to appreciate it, the look of the film really articulates a very highly technological feeling. The explosions themselves are a joy to watch within themselves. My favorite scene however is when the T-100 is fighting the T-X, I love brutal it is but both robots show no emotion, it’s exactly what a Robot fight should be. Another flaw of the film is the T-X, Kristina Loken just doesn’t do it for me, she looks way too much like a Barbie doll, she just far too sexy, she doesn’t invoke fear in me. That statement in itself has to do with Loken because when I saw Linda Hamilton in T2, the thought of sex doesn’t cross your mind, I was just thinking this woman could kick my ass. Also the entire energy idea seems a bit too far fetched and simply the film-makers trying to out-do the last robot, however they put the idea to great use in a lot of scenes so I can over-look this. Also the robots at the end were ****ing awesome at the base, just seeing all these different killer robots, got the geek in me jumping. So special effects/action-wise I’d definitely say that this sequel is on par with the last two.

Now here’s where I think most people got hung up on which was the characterizations. James Cameron was a master of the action film because not only did he excite us with his action set pieces but he gave us characters that we cared about which gave his action an edge over the card-board cut-outs found in other action films. In that department is this film as strong as the other films? Definitely not however it ties back into the sequel problem, well okay Arnold is back but now what? The characters though are definitely not hollow and there are some really great moments in the film. For example in the mausoleum when John Connor is talking about how his mother died and how the T-100 was the closest thing he had to a father. I liked Claire Danes, it’s as if they combined the same character arc that Sarah Connor went through between Terminator 1 and 2 and put it in this one. By the end of the film you do feel satisfied in terms of character development because it comes all together. To see two characters from two completely different backgrounds, go through this together, then at the end they are now irreversibly bonded and ready to fight for the survival of the human race is great.

So in the end is Terminator 3 amazing? No it is not. Should it have been made? I’d say the last 30 minutes justify it’s existence in Terminator canon along with some decent characterizations and awesome action. However when this came out I heard that WB forced the director to cut out 15-20 minutes worth of scenes that were character development, if they released that version I could see this film rising to an 8. Anyway I enjoy this film, however if I had to rank the series it’d go exactly in the order they came out, Terminator 1 will always be my favorite.

The aspect of T3 that bugs the Hell outta me is that it doesn't exude the budget. That is, it doesn't seem like all the budget went into the final product, but into Arnold's back pocket. The movie looks like a very well-made Sci-Fi Channel TV movie, but a TV movie nonetheless.

The aspect of T3 that bugs the Hell outta me is that it doesn't exude the budget. That is, it doesn't seem like all the budget went into the final product, but into Arnold's back pocket. The movie looks like a very well-made Sci-Fi Channel TV movie, but a TV movie nonetheless.

Arnold gave up a hefty part of his pay-check to include the crane sequence,at least it's not as bad as FF2. That was another complaint I had with the film, it felt as if it was missing something especially between the scene of them driving to the base and then there magically at the base :o

i've never understood the hate for t-3. i liked it a lot. not as much as 2, but more than 1.

I've always liked T3. It's enjoyable, and I'm not ashamed to have it sitting next to T1 and T2.:word:

The show head of The Sarah Connor Chronicles tv show says that his series is taking an alternate route (ie. No lekumia death for Sarah) and will be another "Terminator 3".

I think we all want to see how that plays out.

T3 was a sloppy remake of T2, replacing Robert Patrick with a beautiful woman as the enemy Terminator and replacing Linda Hamilton with Claire Danes. Hell, the Terminator himself was played for laughs, retaining none of the power and menace he had shown in the two earlier pictures.

i just thought it felt rushed, and tried to cash in on what worked in t2. unoriginal, and not very memorable. i guess even in a series where number 2 is better than 1 the sequel rule always catches up.

I agree with most of the review. I remember when I first saw it, I was totally prepare to dislike it, I had hear a lot of bad things about it, etc, and it turns out that I like it more than T2. Being The Terminator my favourite, I think that Rise of the machines was closer to the concept of destiny in the original.

T3 was a sloppy remake of T2, replacing Robert Patrick with a beautiful woman as the enemy Terminator and replacing Linda Hamilton with Claire Danes. Hell, the Terminator himself was played for laughs, retaining none of the power and menace he had shown in the two earlier pictures.

I agrre to some degree with this however(I'm not sure if you read my post so I apologize for repeating myself) T2 was a remake of T1, now you might be saying what does that matter. It comes down to they were going make T3 no matter what so these writers did the best they could with what was given. So I agree with that TX was no where near Robert Patrick but was Robert Patrick anywhere near the original Terminator?(I think not ;)) Next Claire Danes was a great and very natural move, Linda Hamilton's charater had to die at some point as seen with T1, so I think it was great since it's very freudian almost that the motherly role was filled by Claire Danes. As for Arnold, I think he played it well since it was an amalgram of the first terminator and the second terminator.

I really love the end of T3, took me by surprise and it's really somber. Love the score that plays over the final scenes.

The TX seems like a step-back from the T-1000.

The original T-800 in the first movie was scary, especially when it became a skeleton. The T-1000 even more so. The TX was simply a letdown compared to these two.

The TX seems like a step-back from the T-1000.

The original T-800 in the first movie was scary, especially when it became a skeleton. The T-1000 even more so. The TX was simply a letdown compared to these two.

So true... I don't mind them going with a woman but why the **** would they get a frickin super-model, how is that scary?:huh:

So true... I don't mind them going with a woman but why the **** would they get a frickin super-model, how is that scary?:huh:

They compensated too much of the intimidation factor for infiltration, which would be logical if machines actually wanted to take over the world and walk among us so they could assassinate our leaders without being detected.

But yeah, as usual, too much logic really hurts the story.

T2 felt like a doctor sealing up a wound, everything pretty much came together...

T3 felt like a botch up boob job going over that nicely made stitch... with the overall result being less and leave you feeling like you will inevitably die.

T2 made you feel bad for being part of the human race with sarah connor's final words...It made you feel like changing the world for the better

T3 made you feel like there was nothing we could do to prevent our destruction so we should stop worrying about it

I feel that's the difference, all the hope the first two films leave you with are completely shattered.

i-arnie.jpg

I'm scared!

T1000.jpg

Even more scared!

Bush-Arnie031016SBdo293x347.jpg

I'm really scared!

kristanna-loken.jpg

I'm kind of aroused....but not scared

The funny thing is, that the most fitted terminator for infiltration was designed to destroy other terminators :p

The thing that mainly ruined T3 for me, was that Arnie as the Terminator seemed too human, and the lame jokes with the glasses or 'Talk to the hand' were like the final nail in the coffin.

And it just didn't have the same vibe as the first 2 Movies. Like someone already mentioned, it was like a well made TV Movie.

T2 felt like a doctor sealing up a wound, everything pretty much came together...

T3 felt like a botch up boob job going over that nicely made stitch... with the overall result being less and leave you feeling like you will inevitably die.

T2 made you feel bad for being part of the human race with sarah connor's final words...It made you feel like changing the world for the better

T3 made you feel like there was nothing we could do to prevent our destruction so we should stop worrying about it

I feel that's the difference, all the hope the first two films leave you with are completely shattered.
I disagree. T2 didn't feel like everthing came together, but that everything was altered, that the timeline was broken, unlike The Terminator and Rise... and the same thing for the feeling that the judgement day couldn't be stoped, that was something that was great in The Terminator and was negated in T2

T3 made you feel like there was nothing we could do to prevent our destruction so we should stop worrying about it.

I disagree here, I found T3 FAR MORE Hopeful and meaningful than T2. T2... Oh we can just go back and time and fix all our mistakes. T3 we ****ed up big time but from the ashes we'll rise and survive. Also the complete lack of attention given to T1 is appaling since it's the best one out of the three:oldrazz:

The first Terminator will always be the most edgey and anxiety-inducing to me. Especially during scenes like the the interrogation room where Reese explains who he is and why he's there. "Nobody goes home, nobody else comes back through. It's just him and me." You can really feel the importance and urgency of the entire fate of the human race being at stake, with the odds heavily tipped against us.

T3 is strongly underrated by many fanboys. Technically, it was a good movie.
However, I strongly dislike the movie. I dislike it because:

a. It was unnecessary. This distant sequel was nothing more than a cash-in, and a cash-in only. The Terminator story was complete. Sure, it was left open, but that was for us to decide. James Cameron wanted it to be that way, and his creation should have been left that way. I don't care if James Cameron said how he liked it and that it was more or less how he would've done it. The key was that he wasn't going to do a third installment.
b. It made the The Terminator and T2 pointless. Why did we have two movies were characters were trying to prevent a certain future that was doomed to happen from the get go? It completely destroys the meanings of the first 2 films. If Sarah Connor or John Connor would've been killed, then the apocalyptic future would've taken place. They become saved, and it still happens? :-)confused:)
c. Even though T3 was a good movie, it didn't live up to the quality of the first two. The direction wasn't as good, the storytelling wasn't as good (duh, because James Cameron was behind the project), the villain was a step down from the T-800 and T-1000 (As others have said), Arnold as the Terminator was even a step down (he was a cold blooded killer in the first, and the protector of John Connor/achieved humanistic qualities/became John's only real father figure in the second, then becomes some lifeless machine with no depth in the third), and again, the film was an unnecessary film that single handedly destroyed the points of the first two.

:down

The only thing that I praise the movie for is the special effects, the sake of seeing another Terminator film, and the ending (I thought it was a great ending with an underlying tone about how we can't escape our own futures, and how we go into it blindly being able to change it with every action that we do).

The first Terminator will always be the most edgey and anxiety-inducing to me.

Yeah, The Terminator is really a sci-fi horror/thriller. T2 is then a sci-fi action thriler movie, and T3 is really the same.

b. It made the The Terminator and T2 pointless. Why did we have two movies were characters were trying to prevent a certain future that was doomed to happen from the get go? It completely destroys the meanings of the first 2 films. If Sarah Connor or John Connor would've been killed, then the apocalyptic future would've taken place. They become saved, and it still happens? :-)confused:)
You do remember how The Terminator ended, right? The future wasn't changed at all, the Terminator and Reese were always part of that timeline. If they did something by time travelling, was meeting their fates...
Maybe T3 destroys the meaning of T2, but T2 destroyed The Terminator's first

I don't like the idea of an looped timeline.
I see your point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"