Rotten Tomatoes Is Destroying the Film Industry

Isildur´s Heir

Avenger
Reaction score
According to Brett Ratner

BWAHAHAHAHA!!

In a recent interview with EW

The worst thing that we have in today’s movie culture is Rotten Tomatoes. I think it’s the destruction of our business. I have such respect and admiration for film criticism. When I was growing up film criticism was a real art. And there was intellect that went into that. And you would read Pauline’s Kael’s reviews, or some others, and that doesn’t exist anymore. Now it’s about a number. A compounded number of how many positives vs. negatives. Now it’s about, ‘What’s your Rotten Tomatoes score?’ And that’s sad, because the Rotten Tomatoes score was so low on Batman v Superman I think it put a cloud over a movie that was incredibly successful.

People don’t realize what goes into making a movie like that. It’s mind-blowing. It’s just insane, it’s hurting the business, it’s getting people to not see a movie. In Middle America it’s, ‘Oh, it’s a low Rotten Tomatoes score so I’m not going to go see it because it must suck.’ But that number is an aggregate and one that nobody can figure out exactly what it means, and it’s not always correct. I’ve seen some great movies with really abysmal Rotten Tomatoes scores. What’s sad is film criticism has disappeared. It’s really sad.

https://www.themarysue.com/brett-ra...is-movies-thats-destroying-the-film-industry/

Rottentomatoes seem to line up pretty well. Good is good, bad is bad. You have the option to read multiple reviews so that you can see what a reviewer who has tastes in line with yours thinks vs some random schmuck.

Having said that. . . . I will say there is a lot more noise out there because the internet has given a microphone to everyone. Not everyone who reviews things is as qualified as everyone else.

The only think that I don't like in RT is that there is the two - Positive or Negative. If the site was rating in 1-10 score, it would be much better.

But destroying the movie businesses? Haha, no.

I think piss poor directors like Brett Ratner have a greater chance at destroying the film industry than Rotten Tomatoes.

RT is only as consequential as you make it.

Y'know, like pretty much everything else on the internet.

Go eat shrimp alone, Brett.

But people mocked Ratner's films before RT became big?

What movie made RT insanely popular?

No single movie. It was an inevitability via the ubiquity of the interntet.

All RT does is take the already existing critics and put it one easy to view place. What Ratner is arguing is ludicrous.

The only think that I don't like in RT is that there is the two - Positive or Negative. If the site was rating in 1-10 score, it would be much better.

But destroying the movie businesses? Haha, no.

I can agree with this. I think it would be better if there was a grade of "Mixed" between 45%-65%.

I thought mixed was a mere "fresh" while acclaim is "certified fresh".

They do. It is the Average Score. But most people prefer the simple Pass/Fail score because there is less room for bias. One critic's 7/10 is another critic's 5/10, but with Pass/Fail there can be no dispute whether the critic liked the film or not.

I thought mixed was a mere "fresh" while acclaim is "certified fresh".

It mostly is. That's how I've always viewed it.

I never understood people getting pissy over RT. They just tally reviews, those reviews would still exist without it and there's no critics conspiracy against movies.

The only thing destroying the movie industry is the movie industry.

Well, he is right but bigger scale, blame internet for giving the dumb a voice.

The problem with RT people really care about the scores.

There is not one thing wrong with RT. The fanboys and fangirsl reaction to it is hiliarious though.

Well, no, there's at least one thing wrong with RT. Specifically, it lets fans vote their approval/disapproval before the movie is necessarily even out.

People don't know how to use RT, this is the only problem, imo.

Take me, as an example:

I have an idea when the movie is being made or after some trailers, after release (or a week before) i go to RT to see how it fairs in comparison.
Then i will look at the Critics Consensus and some of the critics individual reviews.
You will easily notice some things they agree with and some things they don't.
All of that wrapped in your ability to read between the lines and rationalization.

Take for example Power Rangers:

Critics Consensus: Power Rangers has neither the campy fun of its TV predecessor nor the blockbuster action of its cinematic superhero competitors, and sadly never quite manages to shift into turbo for some good old-fashioned morphin time.

All in all, it's a movie for fans of the PR. And even then, not all will like it.
It's a movie that tries too hard to be more than the tv series, but fails at that, and as such, it's stuck between two worlds.

Good grief! I don't even know where to start to respond to Ratner's comments. I paid over $60 to take my family to go see Beauty and the Beast. 20 years ago it would have been half as much. When movies are this expensive to see in the theaters, the public has to make choices. I'm not saying the critics are always right, but if a movie is universally panned, I'm not going to spend my hard earned dollars going to see it in the theater.

Well, no, there's at least one thing wrong with RT. Specifically, it lets fans vote their approval/disapproval before the movie is necessarily even out.

Yes, that part of it sucks.

It also isn't very reliable for tv shows, movies that came out decades ago, or anything else with a tiny number of reviews. But not much can be done about that.

When you see the status of Get Out on there and how it got knocked out of being a perfectly reviewed film because of one *******, you see the flaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"