Let's Watch Spider-Man 3 Again and Find Positive Things To Say About It

I haven't watched this movie in years... I'm apprehensive about whether I want to or not.

okay the extreme rules of this thread is silly :p There's no point in hating something to death, people can always talk about what it is that they disliked about a particular movie instead of going over-board and sealing it with an "F" grade for "Forget It" that's just a waste of time.

There are a lot of things about Spidey 3 that I liked, especially the overarching theme of fame and celeb-dom, from MJ's stage to Pete's fame to Brock Jr's need to be famous, all of it connected with the larger-than-life superheroism that's set in the grandest stage in the finale. I think Raimi was trying to say something with that and juxtaposing all that spectacle with all these human moments, saying how those little moments matter more than the big ones and so we end with Pete and MJ not going straight into marriage but into a more mature relationship instead.

It felt unfinished. I'd have preferred a Spidey 4 with the same cast. Loved Aunt May in it, and while Venom was ruined it felt like a Venom that Stan Lee would've written back in the 60s.

I actually watch most of the "bad comic" films with my 4-year-old sister and relish at the fact that she loves every moment of those over-the-top scenes. She loved Doc Ock, but was utterly terrified by the Sandman :funny:

Then I realised that I'm essentially torturing the poor kid. Oh well. But hey at least she's among the few who actually watched Ghost Rider and Superman IV with genuine interest!

So,what would you guys say,has Spider-man 3 gotten better or worse with age?

Probably about the same. It's a shame, really. The movie had such potential. There are still several really good moments in the film though and are worth watching over again.

After re-watching SM3, it just re-affirms, to me, that there is nothing good to say about it.

Probably about the same. It's a shame, really. The movie had such potential. There are still several really good moments in the film though and are worth watching over again.

Is it worth to watch the entire movie even for those really good moments though? Yes, there's that great Stan Lee cameo as well as the birth scenes of Sandman and Venom, but are they enough to watch the entire film?

After re-watching SM3, it just re-affirms, to me, that there is nothing good to say about it.

The ending credits :cwink:

Is it worth to watch the entire movie even for those really good moments though? Yes, there's that great Stan Lee cameo as well as the birth scenes of Sandman and Venom, but are they enough to watch the entire film?

I bookmark the scenes I want to watch on my Blu-ray so it just plays the ones I choose and skips the rest. :cwink:

Hrm. Well, that's a smart way on how to view specific scenes, haha.

the church scene seriously made about zero sense in the context of the film. Wait... so Brock goes to church and asks God to Kill Peter Parker because... um... huh? Oh look Tobey Maguire and gooey scenes!

riight. It's one of those great moments where paying homage actually made things worse for a comic-book film.

I get what Raimi was trying to do he just didn't execute it well enough. You had all those great visual cues with Spidey vs Sandman, they ought to have kept up with that. Or, alternatively, really made this the "dark" Spider-Man movie and showed a Hobgoblin-centric tale where MJ dies. They say that Marvel's Silver Age ends with the death of Gwen Stacey, that's what should've happened with the movie: ACT 1, all fun and super-powered hi-jinks, ACT 2: Peter's greatest fear, that MJ dies because of him, comes true. ACT 3: Spider-Man learns to deal with his responsibilities in a darker world. Raimi gives up the mantle, the franchise gets rebooted, Marc Webb comes in with a trilogy that necessarily is darker than the previous one.

(Oh wait I forgot I wasn't in charge of the franchise's continuity, let alone the cosmos).

Lol, I hated the whole idea of Eddie asking God to kill Peter, but the entire scene itself is so amazing and becomes one of those beacons of light in such a disappointing film, imo, that I let that one sentence pass.

It's when it's something that I can't just let go, such as Spidey saving Gwen and then swinging off, is something I can't just say that scene of Spidey saving Gwen is a great scene because it doesn't feel like something Spidey would do when he just doesn't care about the falling debris.

^ i know, :funny: but to be fair on them that entire scene had about the same sort of jeopardy as Metropolis from Superman III.

I sure when I watched the CR films as a kid somehow all of that made sense to justify superheroes -- of COURSE no one realises Clark and Superman are alike, he's a super-dork all the time; of COURSE Lex Luthor is a conniving businessman, he loves land; of COURSE Metropolis needs Superman, it's the goofiest place on Earth! :funny:

Not unlike the 60s Adam West show where you were convinced why people would be dressed up like that...

Yes childhoods are scary.

I never had that much of a problem with Brock asking God to kill Peter since that was such an awesome moment(the birth of Venom),but I can understand why alot of you hate it. Maybe he should've said to God,"I beg your forgiveness...because I'm going to murder Peter Parker."

Eddie Brock has become a twisted soul by this time and thus it would be even better if he were to say..."Please, God, give me the strength to kill Peter Parker."

Not asking God to do the deed, but asking for strength and in his mind, this strength from God comes down in the form of this symbiote.

****, I hate it when I think of smarter ideas than actual screenwriters/directors.

Yeah,but then you'd have some people thinking that God answered his prayer.And that God was trying to help him kill Spidey.:nono:

Then those people would be stupid.

We're talking about a twisted soul named Eddie Brock whose life crumbled around him. To him, God gave him the symbiote as the 'strength' to kill Spidey.

And if someone need a hit in the head, then have Eddie mention this to Spidey how God 'gave' him this gift.

Plot holes aside I also consider the birth of Venom sequence to be excellent.

Has anyone read(or remember)the comic that came with the dvd called Spider-man 3:The Black? I believe it was included with the dvd at Walmart. Anyway,they filled in a little bit more of Eddie getting the symbiote and Venom's first hours. I love the moment in the comic when the symbiote falls on Eddie in the church and he screams in pain as all the symbiote's memories(or Peter's memories to be exact)come rushing into his head. That was a great moment that I wish was included in the film. It would've explained to the non-Spidey fans exactly how Venom knew all about Mary Jane.

Sandman, with the exception of him being Ben's killer,was a fantastic character IMO.

I feel they did a perfect job making him a sympathetic villain and I love the scene at the end with him and Peter.

Has anyone read(or remember)the comic that came with the dvd called Spider-man 3:The Black? I believe it was included with the dvd at Walmart. Anyway,they filled in a little bit more of Eddie getting the symbiote and Venom's first hours. I love the moment in the comic when the symbiote falls on Eddie in the church and he screams in pain as all the symbiote's memories(or Peter's memories to be exact)come rushing into his head. That was a great moment that I wish was included in the film. It would've explained to the non-Spidey fans exactly how Venom knew all about Mary Jane.

I read it. And, I also read the novelization. I know this is the "positive" thread so I'm gonna try to be good :cwink:, but...shouldn't the movie be capable of showing those motivations, memories, and other details and not make the viewer have to go read a book or whatever to truly know what was going on? SM3 could have and should have done a better job at conveying those points.

I read the comic as well, but it's a cheap shot to elaborate Venom more in a comic for the movie when the movie could have very well done the job.

Edit: There :oldrazz:

I read it. And, I also read the novelization. I know this is the "positive" thread so I'm gonna try to be good :cwink:, but...shouldn't the movie be capable of showing those motivations, memories, and other details and not make the viewer have to go read a book or whatever to truly know what was going on? SM3 could have and should have done a better job at conveying those points.

:up:

Last edited:
Eddie Brock has become a twisted soul by this time and thus it would be even better if he were to say..."Please, God, give me the strength to kill Peter Parker."

Not asking God to do the deed, but asking for strength and in his mind, this strength from God comes down in the form of this symbiote.

****, I hate it when I think of smarter ideas than actual screenwriters/directors.
No murder rap on him if Peter died without a kill by Brock, but his luck was to be there when Peter was getting rid of the alien

Now compare this to the original version; "Eddie Brock seeks forgivness in a church cause he attempted suicide...."
Gah, I that version makes me shudder

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"