live action anime

sailor moon! Lol

they did make a live action sailor moon tv show in japan that was essentially power rangers.

to the guy who responded about nay to bleach - i agree, i didnt think of it from that perspective. i do disagree about the age, i just feel it would be odd seeing real 13 year olds beating up gangbangers and fighting demons. since the movie itself would probably be pg13, they would probably cast late high school early college age people to appeal to a wider audience.

I think watering down the source material because seeing 13 year old aliens/magic beings/superhumans beat up non-powered grown men is "too unbelievable" is weak... a lot of anime and cartoons and stuff are about KIDS... if you make it about high schoolers, then it's something totally different... a lot of the appeal is gone and you lose the coming of age vibe and get something much more generic and typical flavorless western badass.... as said before: If it's not broken, do not fix it. Also, no one seemed to feel 'odd' about the little Harry Potter kids taking on grown folk, I don't see why they'd have a problem all of a sudden now.

Outlaw Star would make me happiest, but I could really dig some Ronin Warriors... though, that seems a bit hard to translate the battles... it could be done, but seems... unwieldly in some way which I can't quite describe yet...

It seems they're going forward with the DBZ one, God save us all.

I always thought Supernatural Beast City (Wicked City in the Western Release)

index.jpg

Would be great live action. They had one that was done in Asia and it sucked. I would like to see a quality version of it made.

HokutoNoKen5.jpg

I would also like to see a quality Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the Northstar in the Western Release).

I think both could be done very well with a budget these days.

What if they could make a live action Dragonball z, Naruto, Sailermoon, and Pokemon (I don't know if it's anime.)

i understand the point your making about not changing ages. i know i would personally rather see them be older because frankly in live action thats how i wouldve pictured it and for mainstream audiences i think would prefer it as well, but i can understand what your saying. i do disagree with using harry potter as an example. that is set nearly entirely in a magical whereas one of the reasons as you said yu yu hakusho would work previously was that much of it happens in the 'real world' and they wouldnt use magic to beat people up but would physically be beating up people like five years older than them. yoshiro togashi himself sidenotes in the manga that he thinks its silly and he drew characters to look older than they really were.

well they are making live-action dbz, as i said they already did live-action sailor moon which i should have also mentioned thye do a ton of singing in it as all the characters are apparently musicians or some garbage (i only got through like 2 episodes). naruto wouldn't be too bad, like harry potter its set entirely in a magical world so it could work with nearly no changes. the zabuza arc i think would make for an interesting movie.

If done ala advent children or even beowulf then yes, a dbz movie would rule but they're going live action. They've cast goku and piccolo and I'm fully aware of how much this movie will suck.

I can definitely see this working. It's got lots of things going for it. Firstly, it's anime. Secondly, it's got vampires. These two elements alone would be more than enough to almost ensure a respectable degree of commercial viability. Add to that the potential 'controversy' publicity it would have since it's movie has a positive portrayal of vampires and a negative slant towards the Vatican and you've got an almost surefire success in your hands right there.

On a separate note, what do you all reckon on the potential of a Doraemon movie? Lots of the suggestions thus far have mostly leaned towards the action genre. I think a comedic anime-based movie also has a lot of potential as well.

doraemon_family.gif

If done ala advent children or even beowulf then yes, a dbz movie would rule but they're going live action. They've cast goku and piccolo and I'm fully aware of how much this movie will suck.

Beowulf looks incredibly dull and uninspired. If anything, I think Beowulf is a perfect example of how technology cannot compensate for lack of creativity. If they filmed it in live action, it would have been 1/10 as expensive and would have looked 10x better. CG is not the ultimate solution, despite what internet nerds who know nothing about art believe. Final Fantasy AC worked because they had creative ideas behind it, and they used CG to do things that just don't work in live action, like hyper-stylized characters and action sequences. Using CG to mimmick reality however, as is the case in Beowulf (and the first Final Fantasy movie) always ends up looking visually boring and un-convincing.

gantz-02.jpg

Genres: Adventure, Drama, Horror, Psychological, Science Fiction, Supernatural

Plot Summary: Kei Kurono is a typical high school student in a selfish world, not caring about anyone other than himself. However when, by chance, he was forced to help out his childhood friend, Katou Masaru, rescue a drunkard who fell into subway tracks, both he and Katou were killed... Or not. After being run over by the train, they were suddenly teleported to an enclosed apartment with others who recently died. And now their lives are controlled by a mysterious black ball inside the apartment called GANTZ, and they are forced to participate in a "game" of unprecedented danger and horror.

Beowulf looks incredibly dull and uninspired. If anything, I think Beowulf is a perfect example of how technology cannot compensate for lack of creativity. If they filmed it in live action, it would have been 1/10 as expensive and would have looked 10x better. CG is not the ultimate solution, despite what internet nerds who know nothing about art believe. Final Fantasy AC worked because they had creative ideas behind it, and they used CG to do things that just don't work in live action, like hyper-stylized characters and action sequences. Using CG to mimmick reality however, as is the case in Beowulf (and the first Final Fantasy movie) always ends up looking visually boring and un-convincing.

A tenth? Really? Wow, I'd have loved to see that great $15 million-dollar epic!!

That was an exaggeration. But it would have been less expensive and better looking nonetheless. 300 cost $60 million, and I am quite certain that they could have made a good Beowulf movie with the same budget that would have been 10x better than what Zemeckis actually made. So approximately 1/3 of the budget would have been a more accurate statement.

That was an exaggeration. But it would have been less expensive and better looking nonetheless. 300 cost $60 million, and I am quite certain that they could have made a good Beowulf movie with the same budget that would have been 10x better than what Zemeckis actually made. So approximately 1/3 of the budget would have been a more accurate statement.

You can't say to a certainty that the film would look better. More than anything, you'll just have people saying it's a 300 rip-off. Furthermore, you're making this assumption, and making it seem as if it's a fact without even seeing Zemeckis' film in its entirety.

Dragonball, Gundam(any), Cowboy Bebop, Yuyu Hakusho, Death Note, Naruto ... oh, I don't know. :huh:

3DMan27, Ufo Robot Grendizer adapted from Go Nagai's Manga in 1975 is the image posted. Grandizer was a Shogun Warrior toy. Grendizer, Getter Robo G, Danguard Ace, Gaiking, and StarZinger were in Jim Terry's Force Five. Force five adapted 4 super robot anime and one other space adventure series. Ufo Robot Grendizer became Grandizer, while Getter Robo G became Starvengers, Leiji Matsumoto's Danguard A became Danguard Ace, while Daiku Maru Gaiking became Gaiking. Shogun Warriors was also adapted as a Marvel Comic. Reideen, Combattler V/ Combattera in the USA, and Danguard Ace protected the planet from evil alien invaders in 1980.

Live Action Read or Die

Yomiko Readman: Esther K. Chae or Julie Dreyfuss

Nancy Makuhari: Zalia Sham

Jonathan Joseph "Joker" Carpenter: Carey Elwes

Wendy Earhart: Renee Zellwiger

Mr. Gentleman: Christopher Lee

Drake Anderson: Kiefer Sutherland

The President: Dana Carvey

Sumiregawa Nenene: Agnes Monica

Michelle Cheung: Jennifer L. Johnson or Qi Shu

Maggie Mui: Danielle Graham

Anita King: Rhiannon Leigh Wryn (By the time they get around to producing it, she'll be perfect)

Lee Linho: Russel Wong

Kim Wosung: Abe Patigawa

Sonny Wong: Woun Young Park

While I don't know who the VAST majority of those folks are, Read or Die would own, put simply.

I'm still thinking Gundam, then Outlaw, then Ronin Warriors...

And yeah, Unless Grendel (or whatever the monster's name is) is on some SERIOUS stuff, then, yeah, Beowulf could/should have been done live action.

I think Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (remake of the 1980s Bubblegum Crisis) would make for a great sci-fi/action trilogy.

Not 2040, but they are in the planning stages of making a live action movie based upon the original Bubblegum Crisis OVA.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/05/1...to-develop-live-action-bubblegum-crisis-film/

Bubblegum_Crisis_Collection.jpg

My sister would die if they make a movie based on them.

You should get her to watch the subtitled Live action Sailormoon T.V. series. They have the episodes on Youtube.

Last edited:

index.jpg

Would be great live action. They had one that was done in Asia and it sucked. I would like to see a quality version of it made.

HokutoNoKen5.jpg

I would also like to see a quality Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the Northstar in the Western Release).

They did both Anime already i have both them on tape. :)
vkf3GtY8JibSVpr.jpg

livedvd.gif

DoIt.php

DoIt.php

I couldn't even sit through the Asian live action of Wicked City, Variety reported there was a plan to make a western live action of Wicked City a few years ago but no update since, shame, I love the anime film.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"