NG EVANGELION live action ?

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by spiderman30, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Addendum Registered

Just use the Frank Sinatra version.

2. Timstuff Registered

I suppose that could work, depending on what the ending is like.

3. Addendum Registered

I first heard Frank Sinatra's version, then I saw NGE in college in '97.

I guess I'm one of the few people that doesn't need subtitles when someone with an accent is speaking or singing in English.

4. TheVileOne Registered

If its in Eva, just use the Eva version. That'd be easier than using Sinatra's.

5. Timstuff Registered

Why would you want the Eva version though? It's engrish, and it sounds all silly. Sinatra's version sounds 100x better, and it's the original. Besides, using "oldies" in movies tends to work out fairly well sometimes, and people familiar with Sinatra would instantly recognize his version, wheras with the engrish version, it's more like "What the heck? Who is that that's butchering a classic song?"

6. MaskedManJRK Registered

Gotta agree. Either Ole' Blue Eyes, or no song at all.

7. TheVileOne Registered

Cause I like the EVA version and I want to hear it in the movie. It's that simple.

8. Timstuff Registered

If they want people to take the movie seriousely, they can't have an engrish song at the end. Not only would people laugh, but there's no reason to use it when they could go with a much higher quality one (the original).

9. Timstuff Registered

I think Cruel Angel Thesis is way to trippy sounding to be the themesong of the movie, however I think it would be a great homage if they had a remix of the song playing at a party scene or something.

10. TheVileOne Registered

I don't see what's trippy sounding about it at all.

To me it would be a great show of class by the filmmakers and ADV if they keep it in.

11. MaskedManJRK Registered

My idea would be to take the translated lyrics, change it slightly to fit a rhyme scheme, and get a fairly popular bad to do it (my personal favorite--A Perfect Circle, kickass band, and a lot of their songs fit with the themes of the series).

By the way, here's the latest news I've heard about the live-action Eva movie:
    • Matt Greenfield says that Weta approached ADV about approaching Gainax to do a live action Eva movie.
    • Three "A List" directors that are also fans of Evangelion approached ADV about the project, not the other way around.
    • Greenfield talks about getting their pitch package together and that "the first thing is Robin Williams talking about Evangelion", who is apparently a big Evangelion fan, and the appearance of the Mass Production Eva toy in One Hour Photo is entirely his doing.
    • Celebrities have been inquiring directly to ADV about being involved in Live Action Evangelion.
    • The director to be signed will most likely be the first to have room in their schedule.
    • Greenfield acknowledges the uncertainty of the final product due to the nature of film making being driven by the director.
    • The slug script was written by a well known writer who has written several well known sci-fi movies. The slug script will be re-written to fit the tastes and vision of the director selected.
    • Greenfield acknowledges that the children will most likely be age appropriate. The kids will be picked and then the adults will be cast to work well with the children.
    • Tiffany Grant asserts that Weta gets 20 times more email about Evangelion than Lord of the Rings.
    • Greenfield says a director will most likely be signed by the end of the year.
    • Greenfiled says they don't want to make it for profit, but because they want to do it, and they want to do it right, and do it justice in the same way that Lord of the Rings did.
    Sounds good. What really interests me is Robin Williams being involved...I think I could see him in a role. Maybe Gendo Ikari?

12. TheVileOne Registered

I'd sooner have the original Japanese artist just do it in English, bleh :p .

I wonder why they can't or won't say who this screenwriter is. A lot of this is the same stuff we've been hearing for almost years. It really seems like there's been little to no movement on this project.

The only character I would cast Williams as is Pen-pen.

13. MaskedManJRK Registered

The problem with that is...well...the song in English doesn't rhyme; nor does the English lyrics fit the beat of the song.

I think the way the music played might need to be changed too--I don't think audiences would accept a movie which has been hailed as a dramatic, operatic, philosophical movie involving big f**kin' robots to have a theme music that sounds like something Glora-f**kin'-Estefan would do.

The guy can play dramatic (One Hour Photo, Insomnia), and from the sounds of it, he's a very big fan of the series and would take it very seriously. I could potentially see him as Gendo (though that would have to make Shinji at least half-white, but I wouldn't mind that). He could possibly play the head SEELE guy as well.

14. Timstuff Registered

That idea has me very frightened. Hopefully Greenfield was merely making a statement that there are people in the biz who are Eva fans. And Hugo Weaving needs to play Gendo!

When he touts that "Celebrities are interested in the project", it makes me cringe since when I think "celebrity", I usually think "tabloid fodder". That's certainly not something I'd like to be associated with the movie, and it would have been much more comforting if he said "solid actors" instead of "celebrities", but then again we don't really know what he meant by it. For all we know, Paris Hilton might be trying to get the role of Misato and Tom Cruise wants the Church of Scientology to produce it. That definately would not be something to be bragging about.

Other than that, it's good news. I hope that they finally make some progress in getting the movie made soon. Who knows, maybe by the end of the year they'll finally have a studio and director attached, and maybe even get the long awaited green light.

Oh yeah, I also came up with some ideas for the names of the movies in an Eva trilogy.

• Evangelion: Beast of War
    • Evangelion: Dark Revelation
    • Evangelion: Final Impact

I think that those would work OK, and it would be better than just slapping numbers to the title of the first film.

15. MaskedManJRK Registered

Eh, Robin's shown that he can play the creepy evil guys very well in One Hour Photo and Insomnia, and since he seems to be a big fan, he probably gets how the characters would work (well, just about as much as any of us know, anyway...).

I got a question for you guys--who could you see as the cast? I know most of you guys probably want unknowns for Shinji, Rei, and Asuka, but what about the other characters? I'll post my ideas when I have more time (I should be writing my novel project right now).

Love the titles you chose, by the way. :up:

16. Timstuff Registered

For some reason the idea of Erica Durance playing Misato tickles me in a good way, but that's if they're planning to westernize some of the characters.

[​IMG]

I've already said I'd like Hugo Weaving as Gendo. All he needs is the glasses and an "honest abe" beard.

[​IMG]

Also, on another board someone suggested Jared Leto as Kaji, and I think he would be a pretty good fit.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure who I'd cast as Ritsuko or sub-commander Fuyutski (I've heard someone suggest Ian McDirmond as Chairman Lorenz Keel, although that's probably just type-casting). Shinji's mom should be played by an asian actress though, because I thik Rei should be asian and the actress who plays her needs to look like the actress who play's Yui,

17. TheVileOne Registered

Then keep it in Japanese or appropriate the lyrics. It's not rocket science.

Nonsense is all I'm reading here. Cruel Angel's Thesis is one of the best anime themes of all time.

He's not Gendo. He's not Japanese.

18. Timstuff Registered

To me, Cruel Angel's Thesis sounds like something you'd hear when you walk into a dance club. I've never actually felt that it was a good fit for the show, but I'm guessing I'm in the minority in thinking that. Chances are we won't hear it in the movie outside of a "cameo appearance" in the background of a scene anyway though.

And Gendo doesn't have to be Japanese, just like Kingpin didn't have to be white. If they cast a white kid as Shinji, they'll get a white actor for Gendo. If they cast an asian actor as Shinji, they'll get an asian actor for Gendo. Simple as that.

19. jmao Pot Head

whats up with all these white people? arent there gonna be any japanese people in this movie?

20. Timstuff Registered

Rei needs to be asian, and thusly so does Yui Ikari. The actor for Shinji can be white, asian, or mixed. Asuka needs to be white. Most of the other characters can be white, asian, or mixed. It all depends on who can pull off the most satasfying performance, regardless of ethnicity.

21. Timstuff Registered

I was just thinking earlier today... Wouldn't it be interesting if for the motion capture on the Evangelions, instead of just getting generic stuntmen to do it, they had the actual actors playing the kids do it? It would be a cool but subtle reminder during the Eva scenes that the kids are inside of those things making them move.

22. TheVileOne Registered

If WETA did the production I bet they'd do something like that.

Cruel Angel's thesis is great because it jazzes me up. It's cool and its not something you hear in movies a lot.

The movie needs an opening like that. If they have an opening like the series with Cruel Angel's thesis, that's points for me.

Gendo is Japanese, he's not a white guy.

23. Timstuff Registered

The thing is, a movie is a very different format from a TV show, so I really don't see how opening with CAT would work. In a show you almost always have an intro sequence accompanied by a song that becomes familiar, wheras in a movie that's not how it's done (with a few exceptions like Mission: Impossible). I like the idea of fitting the song into the movie somewhere in homage to the show, but I don't think that it would work as the centerpiece of the soundtrack.

As for your comment about Gendo, I'd like to remind you of something. Kingpin was white, not black. But that didn't stop them from casting Michael Clark Duncan as him in the DD movie (and while personally I felt that movie was rather crappy, MCD was as close to a perfect match as you can get without CG). They should cast whoever is best able to convey the character, and in this case I believe that it's Hugo Weaving.

24. TheVileOne Registered

So EVA can be one of the exceptions, bleh :p .

And I felt Michael Clarke Duncan was a poor Kingpin and was nowhere near as menacing or intimidating as he is in the comics. He came off more as a thug or a henchman than the big boss.

I think they should actually instead of looking for names, see that there are quality Asian actors that can act.

You don't need Smith or V as freaking Gendo.

25. Timstuff Registered

CAT is a very dated song also though. If it's the first thing people hear when they sit down in the theater, they're going to say "When was this movie made? 1986?" It just plain wouldn't work that well IMO.

Also, there are plenty of good Asian actors. However, most of them can't speak english without a very thick accent, and that would seriousely annoy a lot of people. And selection of actors who speak perfect english AND look and act the parts is even smaller. Basically, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. For practical reasons alone, it's inevitable that at least some of the characters will be white or part white. And also you've got to consider that they're not going to make a 150 million dollar blockbuster epic with an all-asian cast. America is a melting pot, and to appeal to that melting pot they're going to need at least a multi-ethnic cast with a lot more white people. The only white person in the entire series was Asuka, and everyone else was Japanese. A summer blockbuster with an all-asian cast, wether you think it's fair or not, would not be a sucsess at the BO.