NG EVANGELION live action ?

spiderman30

Civilian
Reaction score
Hello,
to when the NEON GENESIS EVANGELION live action movie ?:eek:
And who is this director Matt Greenfield ?:eek:

Hello:spidey:

Matt Greenfield is the founder of ADV Films. He directs or produces English dubs for a lot of anime that ADV licenses and also does voice over work.

He wrote an early draft of the script for this movie. That I don't think will ever happen, at least not any time soon.

with any luck Hollywood will never get there grubby mits on EVA..I pray to god everyday that it never happens, not because I dont want it to, but because they could NEVER do it justice..its an utter mind-f**k of pure unadulterated magnificense itd take like 6 films or something to even scratch the surface.

Having said that..the WETA art for it (they want to do the effects, its there dream project apparently) look amazing.

Not to sure about this "americanisation" of the lead character though

I think an Evangellion movie could work, but it would take a director with a buttload of vision to pull it off. The WETA art was amazing, and if the movie looked like that it would be one of the most visually stunning films of the decade. But there was the very annoying "americanized" names that drove a lot of people crazy, however they were not final and were only there for place holders.

If they were going to do an Evangellion movie right, they'd have to get an international cast, like in the Anime. My big concern though is wether or not they'd be able to make a cohesive story that doesn't get the hardcore fanboys too PO'd. I'm not that big a fan of Evangellion however I really enjoyed the earlier episodes, before they started running out of money and the story kept getting weirder and less understandable. But would the fans accept a "The good parts" movie? I don't know.

very valid points above.

They could go two ways PO the hardcore Eva fans (and there are many) and condense the story maybe take a few liberties change things around a little

or

Make a true live action representation of the anime. Thus ailienating anyone who hasnt watched/heard of the anime.

Its a far to complex story imo the themes, the choices the sheer scale of the thing must be absolutely daunting for any prospective studio/director even remotely looking at the project, WETA stuff is brilliant though, stunning even.

I just cannot see them doing it just yet, i think they will wait to see what Cameron does with Battle Angel before anything happens.

they're still drumming up funding for it, they're either half way to their $120 million target, or $20 million short, can't remember which.

All I've been hearing for the past 3 years is "We're negotiating with director's, we're negotiating with director's, etc., etc."

Shame Stanley Kubrick isn't alive. This would've up his alley.

If they only have a 120 million dollar budget...that seems pretty skimpy and small for something that could be as big as EVA. $180 million would seem to be a bit better IMO.

I love the Anime, but I know changes have to be made and the story has to be way condensed down. It'll piss off people no matter what and there will always be nitpickers to come along and trash it for all the tiny things that aren't just perfect. So I don't think anyone should worry about that too much.

Peter Jackson aquired the rights a few years back. WETA did some work, but its officially been on the back burner for the last two years.

I don't know if Peter Jackson is going to be involved, I certainly haven't heard anything about that. Weta will definately be the ones doing the art and FX though, we can be pretty certain of that.

Last I heard of this movie was in February, when Matt Greenfield from ADV said at NY Comic Con that three "A-List" directors have shown serious interest in the project, and that they happened to be three directors that they were already eying for their short list. He would not say who they were, but said that they were each "very different individuals", so there's obviousely a lot of serious consideration that must go into picking one.

This project may be on the "backburner" right now, but it thankfully hasn't been forgotten. I really don't know where the budget for this movie is coming from at this point, and my guess is that the 100+ million is a "suggested budget" to any studio who's interested. Hopefully one of the big ones (other than Fox) will show some interest and help this project get underway!

Timstuff said:
I don't know if Peter Jackson is going to be involved, I certainly haven't heard anything about that. Weta will definately be the ones doing the art and FX though, we can be pretty certain of that.

Last I heard of this movie was in February, when Matt Greenfield from ADV said at NY Comic Con that three "A-List" directors have shown serious interest in the project, and that they happened to be three directors that they were already eying for their short list. He would not say who they were, but said that they were each "very different individuals", so there's obviousely a lot of serious consideration that must go into picking one.

This project may be on the "backburner" right now, but it thankfully hasn't been forgotten. I really don't know where the budget for this movie is coming from at this point, and my guess is that the 100+ million is a "suggested budget" to any studio who's interested. Hopefully one of the big ones (other than Fox) will show some interest and help this project get underway!

I don't know, just sounds like more press/marketing talk to me. I'd feel more comfortable knowing who these interested directors were. Until then, I'm just going to consider it a lot of hot air. And if It goes to Fox, you can bet that Tom Rothman is going to try to undercut it by underbudgeting the project. It's just what he does.

Yeah, having Fox produce it at the mercy of Tom Rothman would be the kiss of death, so hopefully they won't be interested in the first place. As for the directors, I could imagine why they wouldn't want to just go blabbing who they are, because most directors like to be secretive about what projects they're interested in (unlike say, John Woo, who gets everyone's hopes up by declaring his intent too early and then never does anything).

On other boards I've seen some rather heated discussions about the casting for this movie, namely their ethnicity. Personally, as long as the actors bear a decent "real world" resemblance to their Anime counterparts and are talented, I'll be happy. The main arguement is whether Shinji will remain Japanese, or if they'll change him to caucasian to make the movie more marketable in the primarily white US (which some believe would mean a name change). Well personally, I think that it doesn't matter wether Shinji is white or asian, as long as he looks the part and can act.

If they find a good looking teenage asian/asian-american boy who speaks perfect english and happens to be a very gifted with acting, then great! But if they can't, then they can always fall back on the option of making Shinji be part-Japanese, which IMO would not be a bad option. They'd just have to have one of his parents being asian, and people would have no trouble buying that hes a white or mostly white person with a Japanese name. Whoever it is they choose, as long as he can act the part and has a good screen presence for the role, I don't really care wether he's asian, caucasian, or something in between.

They definately need to go with un-knowns for the teenagers though. Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia showed us that un-discovered talent is quite possibly the best place to find young actors to fill familiar roles, and they should try to catch some of this sucsess with Evangellion.

Actually guys, ADV and the Japanese producers plan on funding this movie themselves.

I don't think Peter Jackson has anything to do with EVA at all other than that his FX/production house is working on it.

TheVileOne said:
Actually guys, ADV and the Japanese producers plan on funding this movie themselves.

I don't think Peter Jackson has anything to do with EVA at all other than that his FX/production house is working on it.

I have a hard time believing that ADV and Gainax (sp?) are capable of pooling the resources necessary to fund the movies by themselves. It's possible that they could find other investors to get there, but I think a more plausible scenario is that they are going to shop the project around to the big studios, one of whome will hopefully handle most of the funding, and distribute the movie.

And yeah, Peter Jackson has nothing to do with this project, except that his special effects/design/prop company is involved.

Timstuff said:
Yeah, having Fox produce it at the mercy of Tom Rothman would be the kiss of death, so hopefully they won't be interested in the first place. As for the directors, I could imagine why they wouldn't want to just go blabbing who they are, because most directors like to be secretive about what projects they're interested in (unlike say, John Woo, who gets everyone's hopes up by declaring his intent too early and then never does anything).

That's entirely their prerogative of course, but as I'm on the receiving end of the info, I choose to be more cautious about statements made from from someone who is looking to personally gainfinancially from the film, whether the final product is considered quiality or not.

Timstuff said:
I have a hard time believing that ADV and Gainax (sp?) are capable of pooling the resources necessary to fund the movies by themselves. It's possible that they could find other investors to get there, but I think a more plausible scenario is that they are going to shop the project around to the big studios, one of whome will hopefully handle most of the funding, and distribute the movie.

This came from Matt Greenfield's own mouth. He said they are getting most of their money from Gainax. And they have almost all of it together last I heard. And if its all of their own money, its not as big of a risk for a studio.

And yeah, Peter Jackson has nothing to do with this project, except that his special effects/design/prop company is involved.

That's what I just said ;) .

To be honest if I was a director I'd simply say **** the fans, there so annoying. You guys act like you know how to make a film and what's best, when you don't. If you did, you'd be film-makers. That's not saying "**** the source material" mind you, but fans IMO matter little because if you make a good movie most of the time they don't really care, there just like any extremist group... hypocritical know-it-alls. THis is really in response to Infamy posts, they really annoyed me.

Well they said **** the fans with LXG and all they got was a big budget bomb.

I still don't see how you can make an EVA movie that audiences have to like and go see without dumbing it down and giving it a more comprehensible ending.

Movies205 said:
To be honest if I was a director I'd simply say **** the fans, there so annoying. You guys act like you know how to make a film and what's best, when you don't. If you did, you'd be film-makers. That's not saying "**** the source material" mind you, but fans IMO matter little because if you make a good movie most of the time they don't really care, there just like any extremist group... hypocritical know-it-alls. THis is really in response to Infamy posts, they really annoyed me.

Honestly, I don't think I'm a big enough Evangelion fan to get PO'd over every tiny little detail that they change in the movie. All I really want is for the movie to be good, and fairly faithful to the Anime. Notice, I said "faithful", not "accurate". I do not confuse the two, even though they are somewhat related.

I wouldn't expect it to be a shot for shot adaptation.

But I refuse to believe they would not dumb it down majorly.

They pretty much have to dumb it down, at least a little. But dumbing it down isn't necessarily a bad thing, just different. Evangelion the Anime, in it's raw form would be way too difficult for most audiences to understand. They'll probably end up having to simplify aspects of it to make it easier to digest, but that doesn't mean it will be un-intellegent. It simply means that the Anime is so complex that even a dumbed-down version of it might still be considered intellegent in comparison to most movies these days.

Many people who like the anime feel that at some times it's a little too convoluted for it's own good, while others feel that that's what makes it so good, since you have to use your head. I'd imagine that making the movie will largely be about finding a good balance between these two opinions, so that mainstream audiences can grasp it's concepts, and deeper thinkers can still have nice, long discussions about it.

To me, it's not a question of wether or not the movie is dumbed down/ watered down/streamlined or whatever, but by how much. I think it's possible to do a more acsessable version of Evangelion for western audiences without alienating fans, but we'll just have to trust the film makers to get it right.

I guess so. I personally think the ending of the anime sucks and could use some dumbing down.

Fact is, otaku would NOT accept that. They'd go postal over it.

Question: What are this pictures from WETA you guys are talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"