Logan LOGAN - Early Reactions and Reviews Thread

It was singer who pitched FC, he told fox they couldnt do a proper FC movie unless they told the origins of charles and eric first and he then wrote the story for FC

They already had scripts for Charles and Eric before Singer came back as we knew about Origins: Magneto.
It's between Singer or Vaughn to have decided to do First Class the way it ended up.

FC was singer's story.some want to take it away from him.now the idea of mystique as xavier's foster sister and possibly mystique/beast romance came from him.setting in early 1960's and using cold war as backdrop came from him.Donner and Kinberg suggested hellfire club to him.

The greatest never filmed X-Men story is singer's X3

They already had scripts for Charles and Eric before Singer came back as we knew about Origins: Magneto.
It's between Singer or Vaughn to have decided to do First Class the way it ended up.

The idea i get is that Singer started work on it and vaughn finished work on it as in an IGN interview in 2011 singer did talk about his involvement with the movie

IGN: Why did you decide to make X-Men: First Class?

Bryan Singer: It was initially a title I liked. I knew that there was exploration of doing a movie based on the First Class comic book, but I thought that to earn that or to get there, it would be interesting to go back to the origin of the X-Men. The formation of the relationship and the schism between Xavier and Magneto. And yet I still liked the title First Class because it reflected that concept every bit as much as the comic it's based on, so I just decided that I would pursue that story of young Xavier and young Magneto but retain the title First Class as a sort of beginning of the X-Men and they could go from there.

IGN: Why did you decide to set your story against the backdrop of the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Singer: I was bouncing around in my mind what time period would Xavier and Magneto be in their mid-20s. Because that's how I'd want to see them, so I started doing the math in my head taking into account the age of Patrick and Ian and when X-Men loosely took place in my mind so I back-tracked to the early '60s and thought about what was happening then, and you've got the Civil Rights movement, which is fantastic, and the birth of the X-Men comic book, which is interesting and ironic,

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/04/20/x-men-first-class-bryan-singer-interview?page=2

And in a more recent interview around the time of Apocalypse

Singer: It would be [weird to direct Days of Future Past] if I didn’t write the story for X-Men: First Class. I wrote the story to that movie and I produced it and I was instrumental in the casting, in design and involved in the post-production, so I was part of that movie. I initiated that movie and originated it so in that way, and worked with Matthew and I was the one who actually hired Matthew so in a way I feel like I’m not completely entering someone else’s franchise. I’m entering one that he executed wonderfully, but one that I was also part of.

The idea I get is that Singer started work on it and vaughn finished work on it as in an IGN interview in 2011 singer did talk about his involvement with the movie
I understand that as Vaughn and Goldman took over after his initial story treatment filling it with all the other characters, dialogue, and plot details whilst Singer was instrumental in that process.

I don't doubt they read up on previous script(s).

French critics seems to love Logan on twitter. Things looking good.

When it comes to the whole leader thing though i feel its a very superficial concern because honestly id rather watch this character grow and develop rather then just be given something because the comics say he has to have it since i seen that in X1 and i am fairly certain it didn't make him special or important.

The idea that being the leader makes you something special is very superficial, It would just be there to help fans sleep at night so they can dream of a comic panel on screen rather then make him anything particularly important.
What the hell kind of post is this, GuestStar? I'm sure you didn't mind other character details being kept such as Magneto with his holocaust background, Wolverine with his Weapon X background, Jean in constant struggle with Phoenix but God forbid people want a character trait of Cyclops to be kept intact because you don't feel it makes him special enough. Typical "everything about the movies is good" mentality.

I'm sorry for continuing to veer off topic but this just had to be addressed.

OMG, i can't wait for Logan.

11 days here in Germany!!! Too long : /

wpGZhwf0.gif

Hope it stays above 80 average range on RT. Right it's 20% sample of critics.

Jean chose Scott over Logan in X-Men 2 when she was repairing the jet. As far as I'm concerned the love triangle or whatever they tried to make happen ended there. It was only in X3 they brought it back by killing off Scott and having Logan say "I love you" to Jean when he kills her. Ugh. Jean never loved Logan, it was infatuation.

If only Singer stayed for X3 and X4, or Fox had waited the movie timeline would not be this messed up.

First Class was good especially after X3 and Origins but some stuff shouldn't have happened in it as well.

I agree with all of this. Love or hate Singer's interpretation of Scott and Jean's coupling in X-men or X2, it can't be denied that the love triangle should've ended in X2: "She chose you [Scott]."

I think they should have actually brought in Cain Marko as Charles' step-brother and his turn into a villain and joining Magneto, instead of making Raven his adopted sister? The **** was that about? I still don't understand why since it was never mentioned in the OT, at all.

I blame Kinberg too, did he not watch what X2 was setting up for? Whatever he wrote should not have happened. Seriously, honest to god. Kinberg.

They didn't really need to make someone Xavier's step sibling just to make them important.

TBH, I'm not the biggest fan of Juggernaut as Xavier's step-brother in the comics either.

Best Comicbook movie -> The Dark Knight
Best Marvel movie -> Logan

Hello, Kevin Feige! #Fox #Wham!

Does anyone know when the next screenings take place?

The film premiered in Brazil today, so the always popular Brazilian X-Men fan account posted their review. I also know Brian Tallerico of rogerebert.com has seen it, his review just hasn't gone up yet for whatever reason (It may be he has a different embargo, but he mentioned when the embargo lifted that if he mentioned the film he thought of while watching the film, then people's expectations would be lifted so high they couldn't be matched).

I'm sure we'll get more reactions soon enough.

Desolate, refrained, patient, disconsolate, mature and vulnerable, Logan is a flawed but powerful conclusion. At a time when superhero movies fail to establish themselves beyond their predecessors, Mangold’s tormented, dejected low-key salute to the gritty morality of Wolverine’s broken soul is a downbeat final note that isn’t afraid to wallow or mourn. It’s heavy and heavy-hearted, but in its somber devastation, it’s nearly brilliant in its melancholia. Logan ends Jackman’s chapter not with a whimper but with a solemn cry, a foreboding resolution that’s only appropriate: http://www.cutprintfilm.com/reviews/logan/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"