World Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

In case people missed it.....this week BEST BUY has each season of Lois and Clark for $14.99 each. They have several other series prices this way too (Nip/Tuck, West Wing, Le Femme Nikita....).

In case people missed it.....this week BEST BUY has each season of Lois and Clark for $14.99 each. They have several other series prices this way too (Nip/Tuck, West Wing, Le Femme Nikita....).

Now that is a good deal! I didn't want to spend $40 on it which was the original price last time I checked, but $15 is great. This will be in my collection this week. For sure:woot:

My opinion??

Overall a wonderful series. One of my favorites ever.

Some of the stories were awful but some were brilliant, esp the first 2 years as some here have commented.But it is far better than Smallville. Someone once said Smallville is like Dawsons Creek with a Clark kent added. I agree.

You could just as easily say Lois & Clark is Moonlighting with a Clark Kent added.

Overall, Lois & Clark was a mess.

First of all, the special effects were embarassing. Not just bad, embarassing.

Secondly, the show was cheap, and obviously so. It was extremely obvious that Metropolis was a backlot. The sets looked like sets. The props looked like props. Compare this with the stylish, atmospheric movie-like visuals of The X-Files, a TV show which was made in the same period.

Lois & Clark is really a run-of-the-mill 1980's adventure TV show that was made in the early 90's. Plots from L&C could easily have appeared on The A-Team, Knight Rider, etc. Most storylines were L&C investigating some half-assed crime which would result in Superman stopping some half-assed criminal. Compare this with the genuinely dramatic plots on Smallville.

Plus, it was supposed to be a romantic comedy as well. The comedy consisted of Teri Hatcher acting like a little girl.

The relationship between L&C had a certain amount of spark. Hatcher and Cain had chemistry. But it was never convincing as a relationship. Compare this with the doomed relationship between Clark and Lana in Smallville, which is much more believable and effecting.

And finally, Dean Cain is the worst Superman ever.

On the plus side, he was a great Clark Kent.

I used to think Teri Hatcher was the best Lois, but she's not really. She's just the sexiest.

I liek the show, I have the first two seasons on DVD and will likely buy the other two. It's an extremely easy to watch piece of television. I like to watch an episode before I go to bed. But as far as screen versions of Superman go, it's no way near as good as the 40's animated shorts, the 90's animated series, Smallville, Superman, Superman II or Superman Returns.

But as far as screen versions of Superman go, it's no way near as good as the 40's animated shorts, the 90's animated series, Smallville, Superman, Superman II or Superman Returns.
Well each of those raised the bar in Superman's history where as Lois & Clark just came at the mythology from a whole different angle. The fleischer cartoons brought Superman to film. S:TM made you believe a man could fly, Superman II raised the stakes and added a depth to Superman that most never realized was there, the 90's cartoon was pure awesomeness and simplified the Superman universe in a way that was not only easy for newcomers to follow but also kept die hard fans happy and enthralled everyone who watched with climactic and epic storytelling, Smallville reintroduced Superman to the masses with a fresh take on the characters origin and created it's own mythology that has evolved over the past 7 years into a world all it's own full of action suspense and drama, and Superman returns brought it full circle and not only dazzled the world with action and dramatic storytelling but it had more heart than any take on Superman that had come before it.

Lois and clark didn't try and raise the bar or add a dew dimension to superman's mythology, L&C simply decided to develop Clark Kent and Lois Lane rather than superman and explore an aspect of Superman that most simply overlook, the life he leads and the struggles he endures not just fighting crime but developing relationships and trying to live a life. The first season of L&C is has a distinct comic feel to it and really laid the groundwork for the side of Superman that has always been almost an afterthought. The second season fell short of the first season's expectations but still was strong and enthralling, the third and forth season while having a few great moments here and there overall lost the spark that made the show fun and different. I love lois and clark for what it was but i know it will never be considered by any means a classic or definitive interpretation of the character. I hold lois and clark in the same regard as I hold Batman '89. Batman begins is in my opinion the best interpretation of the character but Batman '89 is still my favorite; the same with Lois and Clark, it's not the best but it's still my favorite

The 90's animated series is amazing. Surprisingly, I like more than the Batman animated series.

Dean Cain is still my favourite Clark Kent.

i thought the show had an amazing amount of potential...

my major critisims of the show

*the suit was atrocious like somethin you buy at party city
*Lex was grossly underused
*the villains were terrible
*the majority of the writing was hack at best...
*no curl

these are things that could have easily been fixed to make it what couldve been the best superman ever on screen...

hell adding a curl and a real superman suit alone wouldve made the series worth watching...

more lex and actual superman villains couldve made the show stronger...

ask any fan of superman to write the show...i mean you see people on forums like this all the time that could easily right a real superman better then the fools they got on there...

I don't see how people could say the suit was cheap.
s2walkwithmaysonlr3.jpg

IMHO The lois and clark suit was probrolly the BEST supersuit to date. The darker blue, the large \S/, the long flowing cape with the contrasting gold on gold shield, plus dean cain had an awesome build and filled the suit out really well. It was simple where it needed to be simple and modern where it needed to be modern. This suit was the physical embodiment of the 90's superman

I already had season 1 on DVD....and got seasons 2-4 for Christmas. I have a lot of watching to catch up on.

I don't see how people could say the suit was cheap.
IMHO The lois and clark suit was probrolly the BEST supersuit to date. The darker blue, the large \S/, the long flowing cape with the contrasting gold on gold shield, plus dean cain had an awesome build and filled the suit out really well. It was simple where it needed to be simple and modern where it needed to be modern. This suit was the physical embodiment of the 90's superman

Ii agree with you here. The only problem was that Cain suffered the same problem as Routh; great Clark, lacking Superman. Plus they stopped shooting flying scenes in the later episodes; they just had him flourish his cape and they played a whooshing sound effect while all the bystanders looked up. Now THAT was cheap.

Ii agree with you here. The only problem was that Cain suffered the same problem as Routh; great Clark, lacking Superman. Plus they stopped shooting flying scenes in the later episodes; they just had him flourish his cape and they played a whooshing sound effect while all the bystanders looked up. Now THAT was cheap.

Yup, that it was. But by the end everything got cheap as the ratings dropped. The first season was the best IMO and the second was still pretty good, but the third was the beginning of the end....

Now while I don't doubt that except for a few shining examples, Dean Superman was pretty lacking, the suit itself was pure awesome.

I never liked the "s" design. It looks really cartoony to me. I always felt that if they used the Ross "s" design and changed the rectangular buckle to an oval, cut "v" notches in the boots, and used a more matte blue fabric that the Lois and Clark suit woulda been perfect. IMO. haha.

More pics of Hatcher as Lois!

To be fair to Cain, he really did the work to have the build of Superman. Npne of the other screen Supermen looked as muscled as he did, although a large part of that is due to the fabric of the costumes. And his usual pose was crossing his arms in a certain manner to make the muscles look bigger.

http://www.popcornfor2.com/movies/images/superman/super_26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
gotta admit, those arms are huge... and that neckline is utterly fantastic

I've been watching Season two, and my opionion on the series has changed somewhat. The special effects do improve, and the scripts are sometimes above average rather than below.

However, Season Two also highlights another of the main problems; the villains and the threats to Metropolis were often embarassingly lame. One of the episodes has two guys who invents a pen which shines a laser that blinds people....and that's it. Beyond pathetic.

The series had far too many deliberately cartoony scientists with crazy hair and white lab coats, standing in extremely stereotypical 'science labs', coming up with half-assed excuses for clones, cyborgs, resurrections from the dead. The producers seemed to think that, if you had to sell a sci-fi concept, as long as you showed an eccentric cliche scientist, the audience would accept it.

I just watched the episode where Lex Luthor returns from the dead. It's all too predictable but is somewhat more ambitious and busy than most episodes. And Lex is finally bald! However, they screw it up by shaving off his eyebrows as well. And he gets sent to prison by the end of the episode-! His return is built up for half the season, and then he exchanges a few words with Supes, and then he's sent to the slammer. Not only did Superman not even need to do anything (indeed, he actually prevents Lex from commiting suicide), but Lex didn't even come close to getting his revenge. Worse than that, Luthor never even comes back.

A very watchable series, but dramatically inept half the time.

I could never really get into these series, too much cheese and cornyness, but kinda fun at times, I guess, like S4, LOL.
And Cain, while a decent actor and good looking guy, he looks Nothing like Superman. Actually, he is the worst Superman ever and looked so wrong in the suit, plus he is too short. When I look at him I can't see Superman at all. I see a guy in a halloween custome. And I hate most of his facial expressions as Supes. too fake. He just couldn't inhabit the character for me.
But his Clark was good, however, he played both Supes and Clark the same, there was no clear distinction, bah!

it's not bad...i enjoyed it. I think both did a good job considering what they had to work with. I definitely think the this suit had the BEST Color scheme of all the suits

I bought the first season on DVD yesterday. Easily the best season of this show. John Shea looked nothing like Luthor but yet had the essense of the character down pat. Pa and Ma Kent couldn't have been cast more perfectly, as was Lane Smith as Perry White.

No one talks about it, but I thought David Warner as Jor-El was fantastic casting too.

No one talks about it, but I thought David Warner as Jor-El was fantastic casting too.

http://www.nerf-herders-anonymous.net/images/DavidWarner_LoisClark.jpg

I agree. Although the sets and costumes were a little too Donner influenced. Not that I don't love the movie version of Jor-El, clearly Brando is the best ever. But as this was the cheap TV version, the producers of Lois and Clark would have done well to avoid comparissons to the movies. They should have gone with a look akin to John Byrne's MoS Krypton.

But, you know, like everything in L&C, it flounders because it's obviously a cheap set and its shot badly.

In the third season of L&C, another actor plays Jor-El briefly, and he sucks.

it's not bad...i enjoyed it. I think both did a good job considering what they had to work with. I definitely think the this suit had the BEST Color scheme of all the suits

deancain38tg.jpg

Colours were good. It bypassed the 'problem' Superman Returns had withthe clashing colours by not muting the red but muting the blue. It's really that simple.

But look at Cain's face, his hair. That's clearly not Superman.

Compare this with Gerard Christopher, the previous actor to play the role.

http://gerardchristopher.com/sbwall-lg.jpg

even though the show was called Superboy, Gerard looks so much more like Superman. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"