• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Luke Cage Luke Cage General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will Rosario Dawson also star in this series as well now, since she's playing Claire Temple? It would make sense for her to feature. But will she be a current lover or former lover preceding her relationship with Bill Foster?

So will Rosario Dawson also star in this series as well now, since she's playing Claire Temple? It would make sense for her to feature. But will she be a current lover or former lover preceding her relationship with Bill Foster?

She could easily be used as the link between all 4 characters and then helps bring them together for the Defenders.

I wonder whether the 4 series will be set during the same time, or whether they will be set when they are released

Ooh, that's a good question. My personal preference is to have them set when they're released because it's easier for the viewer, but the fact that it's Netflix changes that equation. I'm going to be watching them when each of them come out, but somebody might discover them years down the line. They could watch all four in a week. For him, it's far easier to imagine all four shows happening simultaneously.

Plus, you can get cool cross-references that way. Have an event in Daredevil that gets media attention play in the background of a news report that Luke Cage is listening to, for example. It's a shame they don't have all four creative teams set, yet, though. Then they could foreshadow references as opposed to only having them go one way.

Another question is whether each series will be set during a short space of time, possibly even during a couple of days. In a film that can happen, or if it's a series like 24. But usually TV series are set over several months. However, with a Netflix series where people might binge watch them in a day, are the stories usually designed to be set over the course of a day or a week even, rather than months?

I think they tend to progress over a period of time just like other television shows. The amount of time depends on the show, but both House of Cards and Orange is the New Black feels like a period of months.

Waiting with baited breath. This may be enough to pull the TV out of storage,...

So having never read any solo Cage stuff and only ever seeing him as a team member or leader I don't know what to expect.

Can someone explain to me a possible direction the character could take to fill 13 hours?

this isn't about the netflicks/pay channel plans to have jewel, cage, and DD in a show?

So having never read any solo Cage stuff and only ever seeing him as a team member or leader I don't know what to expect.

Can someone explain to me a possible direction the character could take to fill 13 hours?

Well for starters his backstory before he even gets superpowers is pretty interesting. Cage has Matt Murdock and Peter Parker level bad luck.

Born and raised in New York City's Harlem neighborhood, Lucas spends his youth in a gang called the Rivals. With his friend Willis Stryker, he fights the rival gang the Diablos and commits petty thefts, often on behalf of deformed crime lord Sonny Caputo, a.k.a. Hammer. In and out of juvenile homes throughout his teens, Lucas dreams of becoming a major New York racketeer until he finally realizes how his actions are hurting his family. He seeks to better himself as an adult by finding legitimate employment. Meanwhile, Stryker rises through the ranks of crime, but the two men remain friends. When Stryker's activities anger the Maggia (a.k.a. the Syndicate), he is badly beaten in a mob hit, saved only by Lucas' intervention. When Stryker's girlfriend, Reva Connors, breaks up with him in fear of his violent work, she seeks solace with Lucas. Stryker is convinced that Lucas is responsible for the breakup, so he plants heroin in Lucas' apartment and tips off the police. Lucas is arrested and sent to prison where contact with his family is sparse due to the resentment of his brother James, Jr., who intercepts Lucas' letters to their father James and eventually leads each to believe the other is dead.

Lucas is consumed by rage over Stryker's betrayal and his father's supposed death, engaging in frequent brawls and escape attempts. Eventually transferred to Seagate Prison off the coast of Georgia, he becomes the favorite target of sadistic racist guard Albert "Billy Bob" Rackham, whose brutality ultimately leads to a demotion that he blames on Lucas. Later, research scientist Dr. Noah Burstein recruits Lucas as a volunteer for experimental cell regeneration based on a variant of the Super-Soldier process he had previously used to empower Warhawk. Burstein immerses Lucas in an electrical field conducted by an organic chemical compound; when he leaves Lucas unattended, Rackham alters the experiment's controls, hoping to maim or kill Lucas. Lucas' treatment is accelerated past its intended limits, inducing body-wide enhancements that give him superhuman strength and durability. He uses his new power to escape Seagate and makes his way back to New York, where a chance encounter with criminals inspires him to use his new powers for profit.

Adopting the alias Luke Cage and donning a distinctive costume, he launches a career as a Hero for Hire, helping anyone who can meet his price. He soon establishes an office above Times Square's Gem Theater, where he befriends film student D. W. Griffith. Burstein, aware of his friend's innocence, also relocates to New York and opens a medical clinic, assisted by Dr. Claire Temple, whom Cage begins dating. Although Cage is content to battle strictly conventional criminals, he soon learns that New York is hardly the place to do so. Stryker himself has become a Maggia agent known as Diamondback and dies battling Cage.

A Luke Cage show should be The Wire meets Shawshank Redemption meets The Fugitive meets Payback.

Last edited:
Why did they use Henry Simmons in AOS instead of Luke Cage? :argh:

Hope she crosses over. Rosario seems more high profile than Night Nurse needs and giving her more to do in the other series would help justify that.

I'm sure if Marvel wanted Simmons for Cage he would have been off limits for AoS.

Well for starters his backstory before he even gets superpowers is pretty interesting. Cage has Matt Murdock and Peter Parker level bad luck.

Born and raised in New York City's Harlem neighborhood, Lucas spends his youth in a gang called the Rivals. With his friend Willis Stryker, he fights the rival gang the Diablos and commits petty thefts, often on behalf of deformed crime lord Sonny Caputo, a.k.a. Hammer. In and out of juvenile homes throughout his teens, Lucas dreams of becoming a major New York racketeer until he finally realizes how his actions are hurting his family. He seeks to better himself as an adult by finding legitimate employment. Meanwhile, Stryker rises through the ranks of crime, but the two men remain friends. When Stryker's activities anger the Maggia (a.k.a. the Syndicate), he is badly beaten in a mob hit, saved only by Lucas' intervention. When Stryker's girlfriend, Reva Connors, breaks up with him in fear of his violent work, she seeks solace with Lucas. Stryker is convinced that Lucas is responsible for the breakup, so he plants heroin in Lucas' apartment and tips off the police. Lucas is arrested and sent to prison where contact with his family is sparse due to the resentment of his brother James, Jr., who intercepts Lucas' letters to their father James and eventually leads each to believe the other is dead.

Lucas is consumed by rage over Stryker's betrayal and his father's supposed death, engaging in frequent brawls and escape attempts. Eventually transferred to Seagate Prison off the coast of Georgia, he becomes the favorite target of sadistic racist guard Albert "Billy Bob" Rackham, whose brutality ultimately leads to a demotion that he blames on Lucas. Later, research scientist Dr. Noah Burstein recruits Lucas as a volunteer for experimental cell regeneration based on a variant of the Super-Soldier process he had previously used to empower Warhawk. Burstein immerses Lucas in an electrical field conducted by an organic chemical compound; when he leaves Lucas unattended, Rackham alters the experiment's controls, hoping to maim or kill Lucas. Lucas' treatment is accelerated past its intended limits, inducing body-wide enhancements that give him superhuman strength and durability. He uses his new power to escape Seagate and makes his way back to New York, where a chance encounter with criminals inspires him to use his new powers for profit.

Adopting the alias Luke Cage and donning a distinctive costume, he launches a career as a Hero for Hire, helping anyone who can meet his price. He soon establishes an office above Times Square's Gem Theater, where he befriends film student D. W. Griffith. Burstein, aware of his friend's innocence, also relocates to New York and opens a medical clinic, assisted by Dr. Claire Temple, whom Cage begins dating. Although Cage is content to battle strictly conventional criminals, he soon learns that New York is hardly the place to do so. Stryker himself has become a Maggia agent known as Diamondback and dies battling Cage.

A Luke Cage show should be The Wire meets Shawshank Redemption meets The Fugitive meets Payback.
Thanks for the info.

Man, I really hope they cast Nicholas Cage as Rackham. He'd make a wonderful racist prison guard.

Nicholas Cage as Luke Cage!

Thanks for the info.

Ditto.
Sounds like they could stretch that across at least five episodes.

Wonder if All Hail the King will be referenced and if Justin Hammer will cameo.

I hope they will adatp that story where Dr Doom owes Luke 200 bucks, and Luke borrows a jet from the FF to go to latveria reclaim his money.

Good write-up :up:

That said, there are major logic problems with the origin.

If a scientist came to me asking to experiment on prisoners using a variation of the super-soldier serum, I would say no and ask why they could not find volunteers without a criminal history.

If that scientist received permission and then asked to recruit a prisoner who had engaged in prison brawls and escape attempts, I would say no and ask why they could not use someone more docile.

When the experiment becomes a "success" and the now super-powered prisoner escapes because he is virtually unstoppable, I would say "I told you so."

One could argue the experiment was ****ed with and that changed the outcome. While I agree, sort of, the very nature of an experiment is that the outcome is unknown and leaving a live test unattended could lead to bad or unintended results, as was the case with Cage.

I really hope this origin is changed around a bit because of all the stupid. I have and will continue to watch all the Marvel properties even with these problems, but man, the stupid.

Proposed fix: If the intentions of the prison are to control a super-powered group of villains, then cool, experimentation on prisoners works because they would want shady folks to begin with. If they are experimenting on prisoners just because, then no, the stupid is too much.

Cage2.jpg

Cage3.jpg

Carl Lucas (Cage) was chosen because he was the most physically fit for the experiment.

The aim of Dr Burstein's experiment was cell regeneration not superpowers. Cage never would of got superpowers if Rackham never messed with the experiment.

Governments experimenting on prisoners is well documented.

The U.S government MK-ULTRA project that was run by CIA doing human experiment programs on prisoners who were unwilling administered hallucinogenic drugs in attempt to develop incapacitating substances and chemical mind control agents is one of the most well known.

Carl Lucas (Cage) was chosen because he was the most physically fit for the experiment.

Not taking into consideration the mental state and general cooperativeness of the patient is a major oversight.

The aim of Dr Burstein's experiment was cell regeneration not superpowers. Cage never would of got superpowers if Rackham never messed with the experiment.

Not true. Because it was an experiment the outcome was unknown and because they were working with a derivative of a formula known to give super powers, one of the possible outcomes could be super powers. Also, what type of ****** scientist walks away in the middle of an experiment with a live subject who you don't want to hurt? This guy is a hack.

Also, enhanced cell regeneration, even a low-level enhancement of cell regeneration, is a super power. This sort of thing was already explored in IM3 where they used injured soldiers to regrow body parts. Why is it so hard to find volunteers who are not prisoners for something that would benefit injured people? Were these unsanctioned experiments? If so, why?

Governments experimenting on prisoners is well documented.

How many of those experiments were done with the intentions of the subject living with a body or mind enhancement?

The U.S government MK-ULTRA project that was run by CIA doing human experiment programs on prisoners who were unwilling administered hallucinogenic drugs in attempt to develop incapacitating substances and chemical mind control agents is one of the most well known.

Find me an experiment on a prisoner where they volunteered and the outcome was going to be positive for the prisoner. I'll wait.

I'm not arguing that experimentation has not occurred, I am arguing that real experiments on prisoners were never done with the expectations of enhancing them. They were done to test the limits of the human body. As you posted, they were done with the intentions of developing mind-control and incapacitating substances. The outcomes for the prisoners were universally bad in every case. In the case of Cage, the outcome was to be positive, which begs the question "Why can you not find a volunteer who is not a criminal?"

In IM3, there were plenty of individuals who happily signed up to regrow limbs with the distinct possibility of blowing up. If they can find folks to sign up for that, then why recruit criminals for low-level cell regeneration?

Lets say the experiment on Cage went without a hitch and he got some low-level cell regeneration stuff. Do you think that will make him easier to control or harder?

Also, in IM3, Killian gave a prisoner, Pepper Potts, the Extremis cocktail. There were two outcomes: Death or super-powers. Pepper got powers. She killed Killian. Do we need to discuss why it is stupid to give a prisoner any advantage regardless of how small or inconsequential it may seem at the time?

Again, I'm not saying that experiments have not happened or even should not happen to prisoners. I am saying that it is odd that they would choose this experiment for prisoners, or even this particular prisoner taking into account his behavioral problems, considering the other choices they had available.

At the end of the day it is a comic book show. It is fantasy. I think you either go with it or your don't. I doubt general audiences would nitpick about the why's of experimenting on Cage instead of someone else.

Dr Burstein believed Cage was innocent and became an ally to Cage in the comics. They could always say Dr Burstein believed Cage was innocent from the beginning or say he took sympathy on Cage due to the brutality he suffered from from sadistic guard Rackham in TV show I guess.
30963_5_page_14_3_122_38lo.jpg

Last edited:
OR, the prison is run by [insert evil organization here] via puppet company who are attempting to create a super-powered team of baddies from fundamentally bad people. Figure out a way for the prison to control them after they have been empowered and BAM! instant evil-doers with a purpose. Cage, at heart, is not a bad guy but gets caught up in it due to his criminal history and emotional baggage. He eventually gains his freedom and does his hero routine. Easy fix.

Cage is actually a perfect candidate for experiments conducted by a nefarious organization because he has no visitors and has a long sentence. He causes problems in the prison and would receive plenty of solitary confinement. No one will miss him if something goes awry. Many prisoners are in contact with someone on the outside meaning their absence would be noted but because Cage does not have that, he is isolated and forgotten. Discovering his father is/was alive during his captivity could be a small piece of his character arc.

It all boils down to the intentions of those in power.

The show is fictional, you are right about that, but that does not give them license to ignore reality and logic, especially when they are trying to live in the real world. I am willing to go with the idea of superheroes (obviously) but if the story can be made more plausible with a few minor tweaks, I think it is in the writer's and character's best interests to do so. As a comic reader, do you get upset when a character is misrepresented or misused in a story? Do you just "go with it?" These boards are full of people who don't just let it go. A prime example is the general dislike for the Civil War story arc and how many people thought Tony Stark was made to look so bad. As evidenced by TWS, the tighter the story the more enjoyable it is because the more plausible it becomes.

You have been around here for a while so you should be aware of the amount of stupid little **** that people get caught up on. Doubting audiences will nitpick something is not paying attention to people. As an example of nitpicky people, on Talking Dead, the recap show for Walking Dead, Chad Hardwick, the host, commented that people were complaining/questioning the coffee table changing based on how many guests there were on the show that week. The Coffee Table. Not the guests or the content of the show or things that actually matter. The Coffee Table. Enough people asked about it to illicit a response. The Coffee Table.

Honest question: Does Cage, after gaining powers, escape prison or is he pardoned and allowed to go? Because if he just escapes and then the authorities are like "whatever, he's a good guy now", that's BS and folks will question that, I promise you. Even after doing some heroic deed, he still escaped from prison and when caught, would be sent back. He may be pardoned or have his sentence reduced but that doesn't change the fact he is a convict (rightly so or not) and escapee.

Dr. Burstein is an idiot to believe Cage. Ask any convict, they're all innocent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"