Mad Max: Fury Road - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time I hear Tom Hardy talk in person, I'm struck by how he sounds nothing like his characters in stuff like Lawless or Fury Road. His real voice is so much softer.

Any time I hear Tom Hardy talk in person, I'm struck by how he sounds nothing like his characters in stuff like Lawless or Fury Road. His real voice is so much softer.

Mark of a good actor, for sure. :yay:

Lawd, I may never be the same after witnessing his face full on for 1.5 hours in IMAX. :hmr: (Those 2 seconds that it was uncovered in TDKR didn't count!)

Mel's Max never really seemed that "mad" to me. He was more shell shocked i think. Like the Feral Kid said "A burnt out shell of a man". But yea he was more calculating, in Road Warrior there are scenes where you see the cogs turning in his head.

Hardy's Max definitely seemed a bit insane. With all the visions and his weird twitches. He seemed a bit more barbaric and running on pure instinct.

Crazy is the norm in Max's world. He's mad because he's the exception.

"My name is Max. My world is reduced to a single instinct: Survive. As the world fell it was hard to know who was more crazy. Me... Or everyone else."

Last edited:
I think the reason why I didn't like the first act of the movie (I thought the climax was incredible) is because Max is a passive character. He is literally a hood ornament. I think it was only when he gets loose do I become engaged. The climax is one of the most riveting climaxes I have ever seen.

Last edited:
I don't like dissing other movies in order to big another one up, there have been some excellent films this year (ex machina, furious 7, it follows) , there will be some more excellent films this year. I would be surprised if anything resonated as well as Mad Max did with me this year though, but I'd welcome any film to try.

The action in this film was amazing. I really hope this starts inspiring more directors to deal with more practical effects in regards to their action.

I think the reason why I didn't like the first act of the movie (I thought the climax was incredible) is because Max is a passive character. He is literally a hood ornament. I think it was only when he gets loose do I become engaged. The climax is one of the most riveting climaxes I have ever seen.
He's not a willingly passive hood ornament. His WTF reactions are HILARIOUS.

The sequence of shots when Nux yells "WHAT A LOVELY DAY" to Max's ?!?!? reaction to the bird skull bobble head on Nux's dash nodding maniacally is one of my ROTFLMAO moments in the film.

The sequence of shots when Nux yells "WHAT A LOVELY DAY" to Max's ?!?!? reaction to the bird skull bobble head on Nux's dash nodding maniacally is one of my ROTFLMAO moments in the film.

Hardy had some great deadpan looks. I think one of my favorite was the "you want that thing off your face?" Reaction.

Mkyt4t9.jpg

MUbuoYj.jpg

I liked the close ups of his face when he was on the front of Nux's motor. I swear he was mumbling expletives to himself lol.

I don't like dissing other movies in order to big another one up, there have been some excellent films this year (ex machina, furious 7, it follows) , there will be some more excellent films this year. I would be surprised if anything resonated as well as Mad Max did with me this year though, but I'd welcome any film to try.

Not dissing since MMFR, AoU and F7 are all different movies. AoU is fun and bubble gum. I did love Michelle Rodriguez's Letty and her moving character arc. But if you compare MMFR with the other two, it is the better movie with the better tighter story.

Yeah Hardy's like mid 30's and Mel was in his early to mid 20's.

I really hope this starts inspiring more directors to deal with more practical effects in regards to their action.

Great practical stunts/effects irl are actually quite dangerous. Miller kept worrying about safety throughout the shoot. Look at Expendables 2 or 3 where a stuntman got killed.

So I can understand why film makers use CGI for many reasons.

Not dissing since MMFR, AoU and F7 are all different movies. AoU is fun and bubble gum. I did love Michelle Rodriguez's Letty and her moving character arc. But if you compare MMFR with the other two, it is the better movie with the better tighter story.

I don't think anyone is disputing that.

It only occurred to me during my 3rd viewing that Splendid slipped off the car (and to her eventual death) because her leg was all bloody thanks to the shot that Max fired at her. Ooops.

Oh and another thing, for people who are so adamant that Max is without any discernible characteristics. I really enjoyed seeing his defenses put up the first time he meets furiosa leading up towards the "brothers in arms" sequence, everything he does from his movements in the war rig, to the way he orders the wives about, to grabbing the guns, to holding one on toast's head so he can check the gastown goons behind him, in fear that furiosa will stab him in the back, seeing him hold a gun to splendid...and seeing that trust quickly get established during the next chase sequence. He does all of this without saying much, and it's just a testament to how layered Hardy portrays Max.

Yeah Splendid died saving Max's hand, and I understand why he helps Furiosa/remaining wives there after.

Yeah Tom did a great job acting with minimal dialogue. His facial expressions were all on point. He could've killed Furiosa, but he didn't which quickly earned Furiosa's trust.

It only occurred to me during my 3rd viewing that Splendid slipped off the car (and to her eventual death) because her leg was all bloody thanks to the shot that Max fired at her. Ooops.
I honestly don't know why they didn't wash that off. Blood dries all itchy and crusty. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"