Mad Max: Fury Road - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the way Max says "it's bait" when he sees the naked lady. Also I love how the shots ring in his ears when someone fires a weapon too close to him. What an amazing film! Thank you, George Miller.

^ Ha, two things I liked were when Furiosa rests the rifle on his shoulder, he gives it a bit of a "that's really close..." glance. And in the openong chase when the War Boy throws one of the explosive lance's "Watch my head!!".

So, anyone think that in the future whenever someone compiles a list of 'greatest female characters in movies' Furiosa should be right up there with Ellen Ripley?

^ Ha, two things I liked were when Furiosa rests the rifle on his shoulder, he gives it a bit of a "that's really close..." glance. And in the openong chase when the War Boy throws one of the explosive lance's "Watch my head!!".
Agreed.

How about you do that yourself?

huh?
You said too many films are unjustly rewarded. I'm simply not a fan of what that implies. However, I'm curious which we you are referring to when it comes this so called consensus because clearly there are large amounts of groups that like and dislike all sorts of 'art'. From the one you deem mediocre to the one you seemingly enjoy.

You are the one that alluded to 'we', and I'm the one asking if you are speaking to anyone outside of some entitled few because I really don't see any difference in this consensus and the various others that have and will come about over the course of the year. A group of people like something alot...

I think Mel's Max would've been so different from Tom's Max that the movie may have ended way more differently. We can't help it but to compare Mel's Max with Tom's, but Tom's version is so...different. Much more feral, much more insane. Both are great performances.

I tend to agree with this.

So, anyone think that in the future whenever someone compiles a list of 'greatest female characters in movies' Furiosa should be right up there with Ellen Ripley?

Ripley has always been one of my utmost favorite fictional characters of all time. And yes, I would put Furiosa up there in Ripley's league (though I think Ripley wins out for me still, if I had to compare the two). Charlize Theron has been trying to become an action star for years now ... I hope she succeeded with Mad Max, because she freaking deserves it. She was incredible in this role.

I think Furiosa deserves to be among the ranks of the best female action heroes, like Ripley, Sarah Connor, and The Bride.

Image the smell if the future is gonna be like that. No one showers and everyone poops everywhere.

Yea, I can't help but question stuff like the fact that Max has presumably been wearing the same underwear, shirt, and everything for YEARS.

I think she'll be memorable because she's sadly one of the few who aren't treated like a Fighting .... Doll. She's a very COOL character and the metal hand gives her a distinctive look...and one I'd like to like see more of and know more about. But since her character arc happened before the movie started (she decided before the film starts that she needs to take action to get redemption for something in the past), with the movie itself just being an extended action scene (it isn't like her character really evolves or has any deep emotional or intellectual arc), I'd have a hard time considering her on the same level as Ripley. That isn't a slam against the movie...one thing that makes the movie so unique is that it is pedal to the metal from the word "go." In order for Furiosa to join the upper echelon of female action/sci-fi icons, she'll need an origin movie or her story fleshed out in a sequel. But even as is, the fact that she wasn't treated like eye candy makes her better than everyone BUT Ripley, Sarah Connor and a few others.

It's never the same undershirt in the films. So we know he at least changes that.

huh?
You said too many films are unjustly rewarded. I'm simply not a fan of what that implies. However, I'm curious which we you are referring to when it comes this so called consensus because clearly there are large amounts of groups that like and dislike all sorts of 'art'. From the one you deem mediocre to the one you seemingly enjoy.

You are the one that alluded to 'we', and I'm the one asking if you are speaking to anyone outside of some entitled few because I really don't see any difference in this consensus and the various others that have and will come about over the course of the year. A group of people like something alot...

Feel free to interpret it however you wish.

I think she'll be memorable because she's sadly one of the few who aren't treated like a Fighting .... Doll. She's a very COOL character and the metal hand gives her a distinctive look...and one I'd like to like see more of and know more about. But since her character arc happened before the movie started (she decided before the film starts that she needs to take action to get redemption for something in the past), with the movie itself just being an extended action scene (it isn't like her character really evolves or has any deep emotional or intellectual arc), I'd have a hard time considering her on the same level as Ripley. That isn't a slam against the movie...one thing that makes the movie so unique is that it is pedal to the metal from the word "go." In order for Furiosa to join the upper echelon of female action/sci-fi icons, she'll need an origin movie or her story fleshed out in a sequel. But even as is, the fact that she wasn't treated like eye candy makes her better than everyone BUT Ripley, Sarah Connor and a few others.

No origin story. She's fine the way she was portrayed. Mad Max as a series is all about ambiguity anyway.

I'd bet that if the story of Eve Ensler's involvement didn't come out none of these idiots would even be smart enough to have seen any supposed feminism in the movie.

I'd bet that if the story of Eve Ensler's involvement didn't come out none of these idiots would even be smart enough to have seen any supposed feminism in the movie.
They probably still would have. Charlize Theron's wielding a gun, in the same frame as the male protagonist ZOMG.

I'll see this on the weekend. Looking forward to it quite a bit, actually.

To the people who saw it, how full was your screening? Is this going to do good business?

I saw this tonight. What an interesting film! I mean this kinda thing really isn't normally what I'm into. But I quite enjoyed this. There was some fantastic imagery, it really was beautiful. And totally weird. And the action was non-stop and was really great. :up:
8/10 :)

If you watch every film Mel's done since his return to acting you'll see Mel's not past his prime and is actually a stronger actor now. He left very strong and came back stronger.

I've watched two of his films since his return. I severely disagree. Mel just doesn't have the spark he had in the 80s and early 90s. He's still a good actor but it's beyond obvious that Gibson is on the decline.

That's a cheap shot. Mel's nowhere near what the press made him out to be. He's a brilliant actor and filmmaker which is all us film fans should care about. He's prejudiced - but so are most people. That's a fact. He drinks - and so do most people. That's a fact. Bottom line? The personal lives of actors/filmmakers shouldn't matter.

Heck, if Mel's crazy then RDJ is a psychopath and Joaquin Phoenix is clinically insane.

Perhaps it was a cheap shot but Mel brought this upon himself with his arrogance and personal issues. Granted, he's owned his mistakes but the damage has been done. Very few actors can overcome PR disasters. Tom Cruise is a perfect example. Tom is doing better nowadays but his star power has diminished significantly just because of the Scientology scandal. Mel may not be a prejudice bastard but those comments won't be leaving people's minds anytime soon.

True, but Mel is the bad mofo.

Mel is BAMF but Hardy has had more badass roles and he choked out Inarritu like a boss (and then proceeded to endorse it).

No origin story. She's fine the way she was portrayed. Mad Max as a series is all about ambiguity anyway.

Yeah, my friend who is a big Mad Max fan was explaining to me that it's perfectly fine that Max really had no arc. His take was that Max is like the embodiment of chaotic good...he gets dropped into situations that are none of his business but he can't look away...and then he's off to get tossed into another situation...so the character almost HAS to be left in a position similar to where he started so he can end up in a new adventure.

That bothered me the first time I saw the movie because I didn't know anything about the Mad Max movies and had seen people claim that the characters were great. But once he explained it to me, I was able to adjust my thoughts before I watched it again, so I wasn't looking for some great emotional character arc that wasn't even supposed to be there because curing the "Mad" part would end the franchise.

Yeah, my friend who is a big Mad Max fan was explaining to me that it's perfectly fine that Max really had no arc. His take was that Max is like the embodiment of chaotic good...he gets dropped into situations that are none of his business but he can't look away...and then he's off to get tossed into another situation...so the character almost HAS to be left in a position similar to where he started so he can end up in a new adventure.

That bothered me the first time I saw the movie because I didn't know anything about the Mad Max movies and had seen people claim that the characters were great. But once he explained it to me, I was able to adjust my thoughts before I watched it again, so I wasn't looking for some great emotional character arc that wasn't even supposed to be there because curing the "Mad" part would end the franchise.
Usually I don't care for movies where the protagonist doesn't have an arc (I didn't think 500 Days of Summer was all that because of it), but Max does kind of have one. I mean, it's the same tiny arc he has in all the Mad Max films: lone wolf gets thrust into heroics thanks to his last shred of humanity peeking through. But realistically, extremely damaged people aren't fixed in the span of a few hours or a few days. Or maybe even years. The people around Max DO change thanks to his actions, and that's enough. He doesn't have to fix himself, but he fixes situations, and other people in the process, as he can. That's what the Mad Max movies purport themselves to be. It's not about Max fixing himself like a lot of movies would try to do, it's about Max helping to make things right.

I'll see this on the weekend. Looking forward to it quite a bit, actually.

To the people who saw it, how full was your screening? Is this going to do good business?

About 8 folks at the most, but I caught the 1:15 slot today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"