Magnum P.I.

It takes all kinds shows to make up a network TV schedule. Sometimes, there’s highbrow stuff like The West Wing; sometimes the effort is more lightweight and escapist like Castle.

But even by the latter standard, I don’t think Magnum PI is particularly well written.

At its “best,” Magnum presents a serviceable, paint-by-numbers “case of the week.” And upon this foundation, the strength of the series (to the extent it has one) is the characters/actors’ chemistry - whether that’s the comedy relief provided by Rick and TC or the sexual tension between Thomas and Juliet.

Where Magnum goes off the rails is when it attempts a more “serious” episode that heavily relies on a “complicated” mystery or a nuanced plot. Like the last episode. :word: Bluntly put: the show either doesn’t know how to write these types of stories or chooses not to write them.

They should stick with the lighthearted procedural format. That’s their genre niche. Embrace it.
I agree, where as with Tom Selleck I found the lighthearted episodes near unwatchable but when the tone turned serious it was a go to show. I guess that because of that inconsistently I liked Simon & Simon better both during the original run and all those years in syndication before they were relegated to the oldies stations.

I think that they unexpectedly found pay dirt with the Magnum to Higgins show so moving away from legacy show reoccurring characters and situations is not a problem for me.

I think that team Magnum did themselves proud on a pretty good 5-0 episode. Meanwhile while the same Mcguffin was in play on Magnum PI's half the 5-0 rookies could have been any client. I will give the two hours a rewatch some time next week

I think that team Magnum did themselves proud on a pretty good 5-0 episode. Meanwhile while the same Mcguffin was in play on Magnum PI's half the 5-0 rookies could have been any client. I will give the two hours a rewatch some time next week

I need to watch the crossover.

I thought the Magnum episode was better and it raised the stakes by having it be Tani and Nyssa hiring them to recover the SD card. Also it changed the nature of what we thought the wife hired them for in H50, so gave it a new light.

I thought the Magnum episode was better and it raised the stakes by having it be Tani and Nyssa hiring them to recover the SD card. Also it changed the nature of what we thought the wife hired them for in H50, so gave it a new light.
I think that Tani literally could have been any cop with a partner held and Magnum trying to get stuff. Sergeant Quinn just escaped and evaded to join in for little effect except two cops and two PI's. For the "I don't watch 5-0 because they violate rights" crowd nothing would be missed if they catch the single Magnum episode in syndication. Calling back what Higgins said about a basement rendition room, I think as a joke when it turned out to be true with the Robin's wine cellar bit was about the only really 5-0 bit in the Magnum episode if you did not know their rookie characters.

Meanwhile Magnum and Higgins were all over the 5-0 opening episode playing little brother to McGarrett and big sister to Tani. There was no way for the "he's not Tom Selleck" crowd to avoid Jay Hernandez if they are to watch every 5-0 episode. We even had the B-team, Rick and TC coming in for a Magnum show interlude to knock Magnum down a peg with the hero worship of McGarrett. When given their service origins a SEAL and Naval Intelligence guy, McGarrett is should be unknown until 5-0 was on the local news or the Opray like TV show, but a star to a USMC air crew for his Naval service? Meanwhile Magnum and the guys escaped from a POW camp and would be all over the media.

I still think if you cut out the last 3 seconds you can also watch 5-0 and get an entire story without asking what happened, and years later realizing oh its on another show's syndication package.

Last edited:
Saw the crossovers via CBS App, and the crossover is well done.

So Magnum is on hiatus now. When will it be back considering MacGyver will probably be a full season?

At least Juliet played a lot more this week. I always enjoy watching her. I think she might be the breakout star of this series.

So Magnum is on hiatus now. When will it be back considering MacGyver will probably be a full season?

At least Juliet played a lot more this week. I always enjoy watching her. I think she might be the breakout star of this series.
My guess that while MacGyver is doing its 22 episodes they switch back to Magnum rather than run 5-0 repeats

We did get the crossover, although I sort of wanted to see Katsumoto interact with McGarrett.

I think that Tani literally could have been any cop with a partner held and Magnum trying to get stuff. Sergeant Quinn just escaped and evaded to join in for little effect except two cops and two PI's. For the "I don't watch 5-0 because they violate rights" crowd nothing would be missed if they catch the single Magnum episode in syndication. Calling back what Higgins said about a basement rendition room, I think as a joke when it turned out to be true with the Robin's wine cellar bit was about the only really 5-0 bit in the Magnum episode if you did not know their rookie characters.

Meanwhile Magnum and Higgins were all over the 5-0 opening episode playing little brother to McGarrett and big sister to Tani. There was no way for the "he's not Tom Selleck" crowd to avoid Jay Hernandez if they are to watch every 5-0 episode. We even had the B-team, Rick and TC coming in for a Magnum show interlude to knock Magnum down a peg with the hero worship of McGarrett. When given their service origins a SEAL and Naval Intelligence guy, McGarrett is should be unknown until 5-0 was on the local news or the Opray like TV show, but a star to a USMC air crew for his Naval service? Meanwhile Magnum and the guys escaped from a POW camp and would be all over the media.

I still think if you cut out the last 3 seconds you can also watch 5-0 and get an entire story without asking what happened, and years later realizing oh its on another show's syndication package.

Tani and Junior have been fine, but they lack what Chin Ho and Kono had. Also, this season has less and less Danno as he was mentioned but nowhere to be found in the crossover.

My guess that while MacGyver is doing its 22 episodes they switch back to Magnum rather than run 5-0 repeats

Well that would make sense. I hope it does come back soon. I prefer it to H50 and MacGyver.

Tani and Junior have been fine, but they lack what Chin Ho and Kono had. Also, this season has less and less Danno as he was mentioned but nowhere to be found in the crossover.

He always takes time out. It's written into his contract, which is probably why Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park didn't like it. He's paid more but works less.

Really don't like that Magnum is going on hiatus as it seemed to have found its groove and audience after the H50 crossover. I'm sort of over MacGyver since the show just wasn't the same without Jack and Mac's relationship.

A typically dumb/simplistic plot - which is arguably saved by the humor (Jin, poker night, karaoke, etc.). But one line struck me as particularly bad. After loading the shooting victim into an ambulance, Katsumoto turns to the gang (who are only a few feet away from the ambulance and were eyewitnesses to the shooting) and announces: “The bartender is being rushed to the hospital in serious condition.” Perhaps Tim Kang is earning extra money by providing “descriptive audio” for the visually impaired. :word:

I hope they might move magnum pi reboot TV show .back to Mondays at 9:00 pm!! i heard there cancelling rise. so fingers crossed. or even an different day. how about macgayer Hawaii five o & Magnum pi night. just not on Friday.i think Fridays is horriable time slot for shows. i usually call my uncle around 9:00 pm now i been calling him around 10:00 pm. cause magnum pi is on at 9:00 pm!!

The latest episode was… okay. But lets talk about how well the awesome Toyota Supra was integrated into the plot. :word:

Was there a new episode of Magnum this week?

There was an extended Toyota commercial which comes off kind of lame when you remember Magnum's normal ride is a Ferrari.
In short Kumu is kidnapped an escaped convict. With 5-0 saying goodbye to their boss Detective Katsumoto leads the hunt, but he depends upon a private sector helicopter crew to provide aerial recon. Meanwhile Magnum and Higgins on Kumu's urging pulls out of the search rescue mission and investigates for the kidnapper.

The writing on this show is usually pretty bad. But the last two episodes - though formulaic - have been better. I wonder if they’ve revamped the writers’ room? :thf:

So… will Juliet’s immigration status somehow get resolved? Or will they go through with the “green card marriage”? That could actually be kinda interesting. :word:

Maybe they'll discover they do have romantic feelings for each other. Wouldn't they have to stay married to each other for a while to sell it otherwise it would look fake?

I thought the first episode back was rather dull and seemed like a bottle episode with so much talking in the car between Kumu and her kidnapper.

The two episodes after were better and do seem to really be playing up the Magnum/ Higgins relationship and pairing them off.

Great news. This Friday is a double bill which includes the season finale.

It is not awful but it is the typical Chuck Lorre sitcom level quality, being a Chuck Lorre series. It is one of those shows I watch because while it is not really great it is not bad enough to quit either, although it is far from the top of my must watch list.

To be fair too, Folake Olowofoyeku is a pretty good "straight man woman" foil to Billy Gardell's slightly more goofish character. I watch the show more for her and her aunt and uncle than anything else.

Also glad Magnum has been renewed, despite not having seen any of this season so far. I will catch up on it though in a long binge.

I'm surprised that Magnum seemed fine with Higgins now engaged to TC. I would've thought they'd have a reaction shot of him at the end of the episode not being completely okay with it but putting on a brave face, suggesting that maybe he does have feeling for Juliet deep down.

I think he understood why it needed to be done but him finding out that TC was the choice instead clearly showed some disappointment on his part. Based on the clips that have been released of the final two episodes, I get the feeling that there'll be some complications that'll make the wedding not necessary or fail to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"