Comics MAJOR Spider-Man spoilers involving Civil War

samurai black said:
Yep, Spider-man will be unmasked. Let's just wipe our tears away, deal with the reality and think about the story. So say that marvel is just pulling a cheap trick and uses doc strange to do undo everyone's knowledge of spider-man being peter parker. I for one for would like to see it go back to days where pete had to hide his id from aunt may, sneak into his apartment, had j.j.j. going after him in the paper, and what if mj lost her memory too, and he had to make her fall in love with him all over again or help her jog her memory? I think that would be cool and a breath of familiar air into the characters. Not any of that divorce crap or uneccasary deaths.

That could very well be where this is all heading. And not just "mind wiping" Spidey's secret ID, but ALL secret identities of those heroes who want their identities secret. Likewise, this will cause no record or memory of the marriage between Peter and MJ to exist, except, just like House of M, Peter remembers everything. Another consequence of this mindwipe could also be that, once again, Norman Osborn not only doesn't remember Spider-Man is Peter Parker but he also forgets he was ever the Green Goblin, sort of like what happened to him at the end of ASM #40. Question is, would such a mindwipe also effect Venom as well?

Spiderluke said:
Yes it's new but I don't really think it's good. Like I stated before, you must be very careful when doing something drastic with a superhero. I'm not saying that Spidey unmasking is bad because I haven't seen the impact it has. I'm afraid of a few things with/if it happens. 1. It will become obsolite in a couple years. 2. They wont build too much off of it. My biggest problem with going public is there was not enough buildup. I would have prefered that if he goes public to do it in a later part of the story and give him a bigger reason to do it. I really shouldn't be judging something like Civil War this early in the series because there are so many unawnsered questions (especailly with Spider-man. I like how Tony's, MJ's and Aunt May's influence helped him decide on what to do (which I don't know if he's unmasked or not and if you know PLEASE tell me.)

Yeah, Tony unmasked in civil war frontline and its been revealed so will pete in civil war #2
i agree with what you said. Unmasking spider-man can be a great thing, if written properly, but marvel hasn't had a good reputation as of late and this is something too monumental to mess up. This isn't the unmasking of just any Marvel super-hero. This is the unmasking of Marvel's most popular hero.

Spiderluke said:
Yes it's new but I don't really think it's good. Like I stated before, you must be very careful when doing something drastic with a superhero. I'm not saying that Spidey unmasking is bad because I haven't seen the impact it has. I'm afraid of a few things with/if it happens. 1. It will become obsolite in a couple years. 2. They wont build too much off of it. My biggest problem with going public is there was not enough buildup. I would have prefered that if he goes public to do it in a later part of the story and give him a bigger reason to do it. I really shouldn't be judging something like Civil War this early in the series because there are so many unawnsered questions (especailly with Spider-man. I like how Tony's, MJ's and Aunt May's influence helped him decide on what to do (which I don't know if he's unmasked or not and if you know PLEASE tell me.)

Well, have you been reading since the beginning of JMS' run? Because everything has basically been new since JMS has been on the Spider-Man book. Things didn't start to go downhill until they did Sins Past. Ever since then it's been like pulling teeth with some Spider-Man fans.

While I thought the idea was really stupid and it just reverbed of the Clone Saga so much. You have a storyline in the past. LEAVE IT IN THE PAST!! They did not LEARN THIS?! But despite the idea the stories execution wasn't too bad...but it didn't even FIT into continuity. Go back and read the old stories before Gwen died. There was absolutely no way Osborn could have did what he did. EVEN OFF PANEL! Just...craziness.

But there have been stories here and there that have been unbearable. Sins Past and The Other are the two stories that basically everybody can agree on that sucked. Sins Remembered was about the biggest piece of garbage ever released in the world. I actually dropped Spectacular Spider-Man during that period until Jenkins closed the series.

But you've been getting plenty of new stories out of the Spider-Man mythos lately. It's just up to whether you can enjoy them or not.

And with the unmasking thing. Well, since this IS a Major Spoiler thread he is going to unmask. In Thunderbolts they overhear the press conference and, yeah, it pretty much happens. Just look earlier in this thread as well.

SpideyInATree said:
Well, have you been reading since the beginning of JMS' run? Because everything has basically been new since JMS has been on the Spider-Man book. Things didn't start to go downhill until they did Sins Past. Ever since then it's been like pulling teeth with some Spider-Man fans.

agreed

SpideyInATree said:
But you've been getting plenty of new stories out of the Spider-Man mythos lately. It's just up to whether you can enjoy them or not.

Uuum, what Great major events have happened lately?

SpideyInATree said:

While I thought the idea was really stupid and it just reverbed of the Clone Saga so much. You have a storyline in the past. LEAVE IT IN THE PAST!! They did not LEARN THIS?! But despite the idea the stories execution wasn't too bad...but it didn't even FIT into continuity. Go back and read the old stories before Gwen died. There was absolutely no way Osborn could have did what he did. EVEN OFF PANEL! Just...craziness.

But there have been stories here and there that have been unbearable. Sins Past and The Other are the two stories that basically everybody can agree on that sucked. Sins Remembered was about the biggest piece of garbage ever released in the world. I actually dropped Spectacular Spider-Man during that period until Jenkins closed the series.

And with the unmasking thing. Well, since this IS a Major Spoiler thread he is going to unmask. In Thunderbolts they overhear the press conference and, yeah, it pretty much happens. Just look earlier in this thread as well.

My grudge is not that we are not getting all new material. It's that the new material is rancid. Sin's past was exicuted great but like you said, it doesn't fit. Nothing like that should have ever happened. C'mon now, Gwen's been dead for so freaking long and even though she wasn't my favorite character, she deserved respect because she was Spidey's girl. But no. Sin's Past had to come along and the once O.K. character of Gwen Stacy was ruined. There are a few people in comic books whos deaths I think should have been left alone. Then that brings me to the other piece of cow poop called The Other. I've posted a million times why this story blew @$$ and I really don't want to get into it again. Plus you all know why it sucked. Now as far as the unmasking goes, WOW. I still am in disbelief. It's unbelievable. Damn. I'm starting to get over it. It's kinda wierd though.

samurai black said:
agreed

Uuum, what Great major events have happened lately?

Like I said, it's up to you whether you will enjoy them or not. The current story in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is turning out to be a sleeper hit to me. When everybody practically wrote it off because they thought Uncle Ben was coming back, and that's not what it was. Heh.

The New Avengers story arc from Amazing Spider-Man was really good. Solidified Spidey on the Avengers, it's too bad JMS wrote a better Avengers than the ACTUAL AVENGERS WRITER!!! :eek: But...anyhoo...

Paul Jenkins Spectacular Spider-Man stuff was really good. His Morbius story was really good and the final issue to Spectacular Vol. 2 was a budding classic for Spidey.

Millar's Marvel Knights run was pretty good, really fizzled at the end in the worst way...but it had a lot of bright points...and Millar seems to be the only recent Spidey writer, besides Dan Slott, who realized that the Clone Saga happened.

Like I said, it all depends on what you're willing to enjoy. Some fans around here push themselves away from the books because they're so pissed off. Like I said, I don't take things as seriously as others...it REALLY helps out when bad stuff happens. :)

Spiderluke said:
My grudge is not that we are not getting all new material. It's that the new material is rancid. Sin's past was exicuted great but like you said, it doesn't fit. Nothing like that should have ever happened. C'mon now, Gwen's been dead for so freaking long and even though she wasn't my favorite character, she deserved respect because she was Spidey's girl. But no. Sin's Past had to come along and the once O.K. character of Gwen Stacy was ruined. There are a few people in comic books whos deaths I think should have been left alone. Then that brings me to the other piece of cow poop called The Other. I've posted a million times why this story blew @$$ and I really don't want to get into it again. Plus you all know why it sucked. Now as far as the unmasking goes, WOW. I still am in disbelief. It's unbelievable. Damn. I'm starting to get over it. It's kinda wierd though.

There was a lot going on in Spider-Man other than Sins Past and The Other.

As I said, there has been a lot of new material introduced over the years and it's really up to the reader as to who enjoyed what.

JMS' early run with the totems and Ezekiel. A lot of Spidey fans didn't like that, and that was even before Sins Past came out. But it wasn't like people were like spitting venom and cursing JMS yet. They just didn't agree with the possibility that Spider-Man may have been "chosen". And I liked the ending of it, with the Book of Ezekiel where it was left to the reader to decide whether it was just dumb luck or he was chosen.

But, of course, The Other buried that.

SpideyInATree said:
Like I said, it's up to you whether you will enjoy them or not. The current story in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is turning out to be a sleeper hit to me. When everybody practically wrote it off because they thought Uncle Ben was coming back, and that's not what it was. Heh.

The New Avengers story arc from Amazing Spider-Man was really good. Solidified Spidey on the Avengers, it's too bad JMS wrote a better Avengers than the ACTUAL AVENGERS WRITER!!! :eek: But...anyhoo...

Paul Jenkins Spectacular Spider-Man stuff was really good. His Morbius story was really good and the final issue to Spectacular Vol. 2 was a budding classic for Spidey.

Millar's Marvel Knights run was pretty good, really fizzled at the end in the worst way...but it had a lot of bright points...and Millar seems to be the only recent Spidey writer, besides Dan Slott, who realized that the Clone Saga happened.

Like I said, it all depends on what you're willing to enjoy. Some fans around here push themselves away from the books because they're so pissed off. Like I said, I don't take things as seriously as others...it REALLY helps out when bad stuff happens. :)
No matter what happens, I don't think anything would ever keep me away from reading Spidey. FNSM is turning out to be great. Sensational has really been cool. The clone saga thing is something I wish more writers would accept happened.

Spiderluke said:
No matter what happens, I don't think anything would ever keep me away from reading Spidey. FNSM is turning out to be great. Sensational has really been cool. The clone saga thing is something I wish more writers would accept happened.

Well, I know why Marvel hides the Clone Saga. It's mostly, in my opinion, because of Baby May. If you acknowledge the Clone Saga more often it's going to make people think about the child that Pete and MJ lost. Therefore, Marvel will have to do something about it at some point. And we all know how Quesada and his merry bunch of editors don't want to make Peter have a family.

I hate the "age the character" crap. Because how many people, in this day and age, are in their mid 20's and have kids already? A lot.

My friend is 26 and has four kids already. So, there ya go. And he's as everyman as you're gonna get.

SpideyInATree said:
Well, I know why Marvel hides the Clone Saga. It's mostly, in my opinion, because of Baby May. If you acknowledge the Clone Saga more often it's going to make people think about the child that Pete and MJ lost. Therefore, Marvel will have to do something about it at some point. And we all know how Quesada and his merry bunch of editors don't want to make Peter have a family.

I hate the "age the character" crap. Because how many people, in this day and age, are in their mid 20's and have kids already? A lot.

My friend is 26 and has four kids already. So, there ya go. And he's as everyman as you're gonna get.

Good poiint. The thing that Spider-man used to do is keep up with the times better than any other comic. Style, clothing, enviorment and dialouge has developed all with the current era it's in. Why they refuse to let Spidey develop is beyond me. Manybe the "merry bunch of editors" need to get their heads checked.

Spiderluke said:
Good poiint. The thing that Spider-man used to do is keep up with the times better than any other comic. Style, clothing, enviorment and dialouge has developed all with the current era it's in. Why they refuse to let Spidey develop is beyond me. Manybe the "merry bunch of editors" need to get their heads checked.

Yeah, it could be that the editors are "out to lunch", heh. But I also think that the Spider-Man movies really have had a huge effect on the direction that they've gone. I jumped on the books again right when the first movie was coming out into the theaters.

The Spider-Man books got VERY different once the movie came out. Then the second one came out. And now the third one is less than a year away.

Personally, I think that the boys at Marvel are trying desperately to catch new readers from the movie crowd. And it pisses me off that they have to change things around in the comics to cater to people who haven't been reading these stories for decades.

If you're reading Superman, then you know this, but in the current Superman arc it's basically catering to the Superman Returns movie so people who are just casual movie goers happen to check out the comics they have material that is familiar. While I understand the point of it and can't really knock it...you're basically alienating the comic book fans who helped keep the character going all these years, THOUGH ALL THE BAD SUPERMAN MOVIES! So...there ya go.

SpideyInATree said:
Yeah, it could be that the editors are "out to lunch", heh. But I also think that the Spider-Man movies really have had a huge effect on the direction that they've gone. I jumped on the books again right when the first movie was coming out into the theaters.

The Spider-Man books got VERY different once the movie came out. Then the second one came out. And now the third one is less than a year away.

Personally, I think that the boys at Marvel are trying desperately to catch new readers from the movie crowd. And it pisses me off that they have to change things around in the comics to cater to people who haven't been reading these stories for decades.

If you're reading Superman, then you know this, but in the current Superman arc it's basically catering to the Superman Returns movie so people who are just casual movie goers happen to check out the comics they have material that is familiar. While I understand the point of it and can't really knock it...you're basically alienating the comic book fans who helped keep the character going all these years, THOUGH ALL THE BAD SUPERMAN MOVIES! So...there ya go.

I've been a Spidey fan since I was a kid, and have recently been off and on with with other books but I always remained faithful to spidey. Although recently I got back into all Marvel and DCcomics (crossovers are a *****) andI have noticed that in the time eras the movies did change the way the books were going. It is catering to the movie goers. It's one of the reasons I think the storys got so out of hand. Especially with Ultimate which I'm expecting aroung April and May of next year to see a return of Venom. Another reason I like Deadpool so much is the remarks he made about Tobey in Cable Deadpool #24 I believe.

SpideyInATree said:

Sorry this is so long. Tried to shorten it but sure there will be one word or sentence replies anyway. Oh well.

Perhaps I'm off and have no basis for saying this seeing as I'm new to the comic fandom but not new to the character of Spider-man (cartoons, games, movies, and games over the years since I was really young) but I have to say the following.

It's kind of a damn if you do and a damn if you don't type of situation. I don't think anyone disagrees that in general the comic buying community is shrinking has been for a long time. I have to say that when I started getting into things a few months ago I was surprised at the actual number issues sold, especially the big names like Spider-man, X-men, Batman, and Superman. I had the misinformed opinion that they sold several hundred thousands or millions. I'm sure that the lowering numbers over the years isn't lost at all on DC and Marvel.

It only makes sense that they would try to take advantage of the success of the films in the hopes of trying to bring in new readers. You say that is what the Ultimate universe is for. I counter that by bringing attnetion that the movies are not based on the Ultimate universe but the 616 universe. As a result readers are going to take notice of that first.

While I liked The Other and Spidey's new powers I do think those in charge need to be replaced or givne a swift kick in the throat in order for them to wake up.

How do you advance a character but at the same time try to get back to his roots? You should either just continue advancing him. WHich is what Stan Lee and the others were doing. Which is naturally him getting married and having children and perhaps his children gain his powers or someone else gets the powers and the name is passed or perhaps he just gets older. Or you just turn back the time and start over while trying to keep with continuity. I don't think you can do both at the same time as Marvel seems to want to do.

I think the "problem" with Spider-man at the moment is as much a fault of the editors and writers as it is of the fans themselves. I know many aren't going to agree but think about it for a moment. They want the character to change and evolve as all characters have to unless they exist in a timeless bubble which Spidey does not. Which is why I think the supporting cast ended up where it did. It was just a natural progression of storytelling. Some fans, perhaps the more vocal or majority, I'm not really sure, seem very resistance to change. Maybe not all changes but some and have a different idea how Spidey should be handled. Not wanting to piss off these fans because they know they aren't getting a lot of new readers as each year passes they give in and undo changes they want to do and when they try to do more changes again the backlash takes place. Which brings us to the point we are at now I think.

I don't think problems appeared over night or even recently but have been there all along in the form of the conflict with Marvel itself with it's writers/editors and the fans themselves.

I think the only way things are really going to get better, and that will depend how you look at it, is if Marvel finally says enough is enough and stops listening to fans.Then over night either go one way or the other and stick with it.

Either they say enough and advance Peter by letting him age, get on with his life, have kids and continue to be Spider-man and take the risk of losing readers, losing the "everyman" feel and risk him not being their flagship character.

Or they say screw it all and work some magic by deaging Peter and those in his life to a point where he's back in high school an everyone from Norman to Aunt May have lives that reflect this new life where the rest of the Marvel communtiy continues on but notes that changes have taken place to certain areas in the MU and they are changed as a result. A mini-Crisis (ala DC).

Until that happens I don't think things are going to change. Marvel will continue to try "fix" things to make fans happy. But fans won't be happy, but for a while, because Marvel will try to evolove the character again but some fans won't want that.

It's like living in the woods and loving it and wanting some piece and quiet from the big city. You want the birds to stop chirpping but you don't want to kill or drive the birds away. So what do you do? Either kill the birds and drive them away or let them stay or leave the woods all together and no one wants the last option or either of the other two it seems.

Effect said:
Sorry this is so long. Tried to shorten it but sure there will be one word or sentence replies anyway. Oh well.

Perhaps I'm off and have no basis for saying this seeing as I'm new to the comic fandom but not new to the character of Spider-man (cartoons, games, movies, and games over the years since I was really young) but I have to say the following.

It's kind of a damn if you do and a damn if you don't type of situation. I don't think anyone disagrees that in general the comic buying community is shrinking has been for a long time. I have to say that when I started getting into things a few months ago I was surprised at the actual number issues sold, especially the big names like Spider-man, X-men, Batman, and Superman. I had the misinformed opinion that they sold several hundred thousands or millions. I'm sure that the lowering numbers over the years isn't lost at all on DC and Marvel.

It only makes sense that they would try to take advantage of the success of the films in the hopes of trying to bring in new readers. You say that is what the Ultimate universe is for. I counter that by bringing attnetion that the movies are not based on the Ultimate universe but the 616 universe. As a result readers are going to take notice of that first.

While I liked The Other and Spidey's new powers I do think those in charge need to be replaced or givne a swift kick in the throat in order for them to wake up.

How do you advance a character but at the same time try to get back to his roots? You should either just continue advancing him. WHich is what Stan Lee and the others were doing. Which is naturally him getting married and having children and perhaps his children gain his powers or someone else gets the powers and the name is passed or perhaps he just gets older. Or you just turn back the time and start over while trying to keep with continuity. I don't think you can do both at the same time as Marvel seems to want to do.

I think the "problem" with Spider-man at the moment is as much a fault of the editors and writers as it is of the fans themselves. I know many aren't going to agree but think about it for a moment. They want the character to change and evolve as all characters have to unless they exist in a timeless bubble which Spidey does not. Which is why I think the supporting cast ended up where it did. It was just a natural progression of storytelling. Some fans, perhaps the more vocal or majority, I'm not really sure, seem very resistance to change. Maybe not all changes but some and have a different idea how Spidey should be handled. Not wanting to piss off these fans because they know they aren't getting a lot of new readers as each year passes they give in and undo changes they want to do and when they try to do more changes again the backlash takes place. Which brings us to the point we are at now I think.

I don't think problems appeared over night or even recently but have been there all along in the form of the conflict with Marvel itself with it's writers/editors and the fans themselves.

I think the only way things are really going to get better, and that will depend how you look at it, is if Marvel finally says enough is enough and stops listening to fans.Then over night either go one way or the other and stick with it.

Either they say enough and advance Peter by letting him age, get on with his life, have kids and continue to be Spider-man and take the risk of losing readers, losing the "everyman" feel and risk him not being their flagship character.

Or they say screw it all and work some magic by deaging Peter and those in his life to a point where he's back in high school an everyone from Norman to Aunt May have lives that reflect this new life where the rest of the Marvel communtiy continues on but notes that changes have taken place to certain areas in the MU and they are changed as a result. A mini-Crisis (ala DC).

Until that happens I don't think things are going to change. Marvel will continue to try "fix" things to make fans happy. But fans won't be happy, but for a while, because Marvel will try to evolove the character again but some fans won't want that.

It's like living in the woods and loving it and wanting some piece and quiet from the big city. You want the birds to stop chirpping but you don't want to kill or drive the birds away. So what do you do? Either kill the birds and drive them away or let them stay or leave the woods all together and no one wants the last option or either of the other two it seems.
Marvel does need something ground breaking to get things straight in their universe. Here's what I think it is. Better control over what they put out. I've read interviews with Joe Q saying how bad he messed up in certain areas or whatever, here are some solutions: don't screw it up and listen to your fans. If Marvel would have listened to the fans then Sins Past could've been completely avoided (come on now, let the dead live on by happy memories, not children with your worst enemy.) Secondly you are completely right about the fans being to blame as well as the editors. If we as fans keep buying the books then Marvel thinks "hey, these chumps will buy anything unless it has a variant cover with Spidey on it." Sadly it's true. I never miss a Spidey or Wolverine or Gambit or Captain America story in comics. Same thing with DC with Batman and Robin and Nightwing. We have our favorites and no matter how bad it becomes we will always support our wall-crawler in red and blue (or red and gold now.) It's the characters that sell. People love Spidey because it's Spidey. I don't know a single fan who would want Peter to move in with his Aunt May and become a teenager again. Then we would be saying to ourselves, "What was the point in the last 500 issues of Amazing Spider-man?:

Spiderluke said:
The clone saga thing is something I wish more writers would accept happened.

ok, i'm a tad confused. i've only just started picking up these books again so want to know how certain writers are ignoring the clone saga. i mean... do you want every writer to mention it often or is it something inparticular? im not havin a go, its just a frequent moan on these boards by fans and im confused. how exactly was it addressed in spectacular then?

SpideyInATree said:

ahahaha, u just called him a plain jane. he will be pleased...

Effect said:

Whoa thats messed up and kinda scary. now crawl back to ur woods and hunt those birds...
joke.

TOMORROW is "THE" day!!!!
Some will hate.
Some will love.
All will talk!

Not me baby...I'm dropping a lot of Marvel titles today if it happens. And my wallet will love me long time.

Well, if you like it, cool. If you hate it, I'm sure you can sell it on Ebay for tons of cash. It's already sold out according to Midtown Comics. If it sells more than issue #1 (and it will), then this wil be THE highest-selling comic in a longtime...whether we like it or not.

Still, I've decided to drop a slew of Marvel titles because of it....even if, for soem reason, I enjoy it...still dropping alot of Marvel books.

shinlyle said:
Still, I've decided to drop a slew of Marvel titles because of it....even if, for soem reason, I enjoy it...still dropping alot of Marvel books.

but... that doesnt make any sense! if you enjoy it why punish the industry more?

Can't see the appeal of Spider-Man if he's unmasked voluntarily.

Everyone has imagined being a superhero at some time or another. And the excitement comes from being someone you're not, someone else. You publicise the man beneath the mask and it detracts from the hero; from the character of Spider-Man. The very essence of what made him lovable as a hero in his first appearance was his change from timid and shy to wise cracking and confident. The mask gave him that escape from his troubles as Peter Parker. And that is what makes being a superhero so appealing to everyone, what makes us read comics - its the escapism. You put Spidey up against a foe who knows who he is and he just starts begging with them or spouting off - no jokes, no quips - its a less fun character to read. Now make everyone a foe who knows him... you've just got Peter Parker, famous to the world, running round in tights. There would be no everyman about him, no everyday problems like the rest of us. His problems become fantastic problems, his personal life becomes the stuff of the national enquirer - and the hero that is spider-man (as much as Peter Parker is Spider-Man, there is still very much a Batman is the real person, Bruce Wayne is the persona about Spider-Man; Peter Parker is the real person, but Spider-Man is the hero with the drive of Peter Parker - its a different persona under the mask) dies.

MyPokerShirt said:
but... that doesnt make any sense! if you enjoy it why punish the industry more?

Like Doc Destruction said: Not the industry, MARVEL.

If I buy ten copies of Civil War o if I torch ten copies of Civil War, it doesn't matter. Marvel's going to make millions off of it, regardless. However, if I drop all the other books they do that I read just for the sake of reading for tradition's sake, then it hurts them a little more. If I drop every Marvel title I get except for 6 of them, then that costs Marvel at least 1,000 bucks a year for as long as I do it. Pennies to them, but a fortune to me. It's a small victory, but it's one I'll relish.

Marvel has made it apparent that they are going to do whatever they want to whatever character own, simply because they can. It'll shock people, and they'll sell books. They don't care what the fans think, simply because they'll make there money off of the "collectors". I'm not hating on the collectors, as they are what keeps the industry afloat....but they don't always help the situation. Publishers look at the bottom line: If it makes money, they'll continue to do it. If a bunch of people whine about it on the internet, but the book still sells, then they could care less. It's the way it works.

If I can take some coin out of their pocket, then I will.

I buy one Marvel book...Moon Knight. I wont buy another until JQ is removed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"