Make a new X-MEN Animated series

Jordacar

The Endless One
Reaction score
A while back Avi Arad announced that there will be another X-Men cartoon coming soon.

I'm NOT here to talk about that.

Instead I ask:
If you were in charge of making an X-Men cartoon, what would you want to do?

What would you want in this version that wasn't in the other 'toons?
What would you want to improve from previous versions?
What would you want to see more of?
What would you want to see less of?
What characters would you include?
What stories would you want to focus on?
What stories would you not want to focus on?
Is there anything that you would change that has never been done before?

Would stick the basics of the comics like the 90s show and give it some serious upgraded graphics, but give the characters major depth and motivation.

Even though I didn't get into X-Men until the late 90s, I'd love an animated series based on the original five, but have them all as full on adults, and serving as faculty for Xavier's School. I'm of the mind now that any X-Men animated series should have a focus on the X-Men teaching other mutants when they're not on missions. Of course I'd make concessions for characters like Beast, who would probably split his time even more between missions, teaching, and being a renowned scientist. And Angel, since he'd also probably have to deal with executive duties for Worthington Industries.

I'd push the sci-fi elements as much as possible, not focus so much on "superheroics". The X-Men would of course have the usual battles with other mutants and enemies of mutants, a lot of missions would be more about investigation.

One advantage X-Men Evolution had over the 90s series was that it didn't try to adapt specific comic book stories. Not to mention, the 90s series had horrible continuity. Characters would introduce themselves in present day certain episodes, then later episodes revealed in flashbacks that these characters knew each other. Angel never seems to have any acknowledged past relationship with the X-Men in all his appearances, but any flashback with the original five, and there he is.

Basically, I want tighter continuity in the context of the series itself. I don't want the show tripping over itself, because it feels compelled to adapt pre-existing stories.

Of course, I'd want to see Wolverine, but I do agree with fans who have had enough of him. I'd let the whole first season play out without him, then maybe introduce him "interlude" style. Little snippets of him, maybe in the woods, you wouldn't see him fully, but eventually, you'd know it's him.

Xavier and the original five. There'd be about as many students as there are in the film series, but the focus would be on Jubilee, who's just starting out, Kitty and Colossus, who'd be on the verge of graduation.

They'd be a lot more politically-driven, the president would be in a position where he's not sure what stance he wants to take on mutants. Naturally, Senator Kelly could factor into this.

Sinister would play a big part in the series from day one. In disguise, he'd be working with Beast in some capacity, with Beast confiding in him about being a mutant and working to cure his mutation. At which point Sinister would take it as an opportunity to use Hank as a guinea pig for whatever private experiments he'd be conducting, thus resulting in the "blue fur" Beast we know now. Magneto would be there, of course, but he wouldn't be the X-Men's main through until further down the line. In fact, I'd start off the series with him already in custody after facing off against the X-Men in the past. The X-Men would face indivudual mutants, and ultimately discover that they were all working separate pieces of one plan, which is to release Magneto.

X-Men . . .IN SPACE!!!! I usually don't like the X-men space stories, because they tend to run very long, and draw you away from the fundamental themes.

Hard to say. The 90s series really ran the gammut of comic stories from the late 70s through the 90s. And Evolution focused on them as teenagers, harkening back to the original 60s comics. It's hard to think of something that's "never" been done on an X-Men series before.

Even though I didn't get into X-Men until the late 90s, I'd love an animated series based on the original five, but have them all as full on adults, and serving as faculty for Xavier's School. I'm of the mind now that any X-Men animated series should have a focus on the X-Men teaching other mutants when they're not on missions. Of course I'd make concessions for characters like Beast, who would probably split his time even more between missions, teaching, and being a renowned scientist. And Angel, since he'd also probably have to deal with executive duties for Worthington Industries.

It's true that the movie started the concept of Xavier's school being an actual school with regular classes and such. I'd definitely like to see more of that, the day-to-day existence which can make attacks from supervillains even more dramatic. As for the original five, I've always prefered it when they mix it up and not stick slavishly to the original roster, although they could rework some of the relationships and dynamics if they start from the beginning like that.

One advantage X-Men Evolution had over the 90s series was that it didn't try to adapt specific comic book stories. Not to mention, the 90s series had horrible continuity. Characters would introduce themselves in present day certain episodes, then later episodes revealed in flashbacks that these characters knew each other. Angel never seems to have any acknowledged past relationship with the X-Men in all his appearances, but any flashback with the original five, and there he is.

Basically, I want tighter continuity in the context of the series itself. I don't want the show tripping over itself, because it feels compelled to adapt pre-existing stories.

Agreed. I liked that Evolution freed itself from having to slavishly rip the storylines from the comics and instead let the story and the characters grow and evolve more organically. I'd like to see even more character driven storylines in the next series.

Of course, I'd want to see Wolverine, but I do agree with fans who have had enough of him. I'd let the whole first season play out without him, then maybe introduce him "interlude" style. Little snippets of him, maybe in the woods, you wouldn't see him fully, but eventually, you'd know it's him.

I was thinking something like that. Don't have Wolverine in there right away, but instead build up the anticipation and demand.

Xavier and the original five. There'd be about as many students as there are in the film series, but the focus would be on Jubilee, who's just starting out, Kitty and Colossus, who'd be on the verge of graduation.

Interesting switch. Kitty and Peter are usually the newbies.

They'd be a lot more politically-driven, the president would be in a position where he's not sure what stance he wants to take on mutants. Naturally, Senator Kelly could factor into this.

Sinister would play a big part in the series from day one. In disguise, he'd be working with Beast in some capacity, with Beast confiding in him about being a mutant and working to cure his mutation. At which point Sinister would take it as an opportunity to use Hank as a guinea pig for whatever private experiments he'd be conducting, thus resulting in the "blue fur" Beast we know now. Magneto would be there, of course, but he wouldn't be the X-Men's main through until further down the line. In fact, I'd start off the series with him already in custody after facing off against the X-Men in the past. The X-Men would face indivudual mutants, and ultimately discover that they were all working separate pieces of one plan, which is to release Magneto.

I've started to feel that Sinister deserves a comeback, so to rework him from day one would be great. Make him the crazy mad scientist who views all mutants as his own personal guinea pigs.

X-Men . . .IN SPACE!!!! I usually don't like the X-men space stories, because they tend to run very long, and draw you away from the fundamental themes.

I'm really glad Evolution, Ultimate, and the movies steered clear of the overblown outerspace adventures that detracted from the main idea of the show.

I've started to feel that Sinister deserves a comeback, so to rework him from day one would be great. Make him the crazy mad scientist who views all mutants as his own personal guinea pigs.

Well, I've always felt that the movies missed the opportunity to find some way to incorporate him, especially with The Last Stand, and the whole idea of the cure. One idea I had was that if they did the third film, as well as a fourth, I would have revealed at the end of the third film that Cyclops was rescued before Jean could kill him. Sinister would have had someone watching him, and tracked him to Alkali Lake. Seeing what Jean was doing to Scott, that someone would intervene, knocking Jean out, and taking Scott back to Sinister. I'd have had that someone be Havoc.

I got an idea that I wish they'd done for the movies. Rather than Dark Phoenix being a split personality thing, bring Apocalypse into it. As Jean's power grows, she is taken by the Big A and turned into his horseman, thus becoming Dark Phoenix.

I'd push the sci-fi elements as much as possible, not focus so much on "superheroics". The X-Men would of course have the usual battles with other mutants and enemies of mutants, a lot of missions would be more about investigation.

Hard to say. The 90s series really ran the gammut of comic stories from the late 70s through the 90s. And Evolution focused on them as teenagers, harkening back to the original 60s comics. It's hard to think of something that's "never" been done on an X-Men series before.
I pretty much agree with you.

I absolutely love the 90s show. It was a part of my childhood. Knowing what I know now, I'd actually like to have animation that ran in the Japan intro. It looked like a living comic. The animation was great! But get all the original voice actors.

i like the idea of the series focusing on the original five students at first

I got an idea that I wish they'd done for the movies. Rather than Dark Phoenix being a split personality thing, bring Apocalypse into it. As Jean's power grows, she is taken by the Big A and turned into his horseman, thus becoming Dark Phoenix.

So many X-Men have been Horsemen of Apocalypse at this point, that I could see that working.

I loved the 90s show, but going back and watching it, it was a little bit dated. That's not to say it isn't good anymore, but if they made a new one, I think they could actually improve upon that version.

I'd like them to introduce Wolverine like they did in Ultimate X-Men, but instead of being a full-fledged member, kind of show up from time to time, but not officially join the team until at least the second season.

I'd like them to introduce Wolverine like they did in Ultimate X-Men, but instead of being a full-fledged member, kind of show up from time to time, but not officially join the team until at least the second season.

I like that idea. If they're so anxious to have Wolverine on there, maybe they could do a Wolverine series on Adult Swim at the same time.

I really wanted to see X-Men Evolution make a return, too..

I mean, their last two seasons were really good and I would've liked to see the show handle more characters like M.Sinister and Mojo..

-TNC

I generally like the 90s show, and they should follow the same theme, with the following changes:

Delete Gambit, Rogue and Jubilee
Add Kitty, Colossus and Nightcrawler

Have Emma Frost show up more often as a sometimes-ally, sometimes-antagonist, but not as part of the core team (with Jean Grey, in a TV context she would be redundant with similar powers).

More Gambit.

Less Wolverine.

AND NO ORIGINAL CHARACTERS! Come on man, you have so many characters to chose from. I really don't see the need to create new ones like Spyke or X23.

If only the new one sounded more like the ideas on here.

Bring back the 90s show. xmen works best when it's not toned down like that evolution daweson's creek crap.

yes!!! bring the 90's show back....that was perfect. I never got into Evolution. I still don't get why they haven't released all the 90's x-men cartoon on dvd, they only released bits here and there but never the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"