Man of Steel (2013) vs Black Panther (2018) vs Wonder Woman (2017)

I believe this should be in the Misc. Comics Films section.

I still have no idea why you're comparing MoS with BP.

Origin story.

Is there any particular reason people keep pitting BP against MOS lately?

Having looked at the three options, the correct answer is Batman Begins.

Wonder Woman.

I believe that Black Panther is a huge achievement as a film - but that doesn't make it as good as Wonder Woman. Close, but not quite.r

interestingly they have opposite faults:

WW has an incredible lead who absolutely embodies the character , probably the best cbm performance of 2017 - but the supporting cast are really one note especially the villains.

BP has a likeable lead who is constantly in danger of being overshadowed by the supporting cast especially the villains.

Both have underwheming final set piece battles.

All in all I feel like WW was a tougher concept to pull off on the big screen.

For the thread why not just WW vs BP ? That's a real competition.

Wonder Woman is indulged by the reputation of being the only good DCEU film up to this point (I want Aquaman to be another one), but I can't bring myself to try and watch anything involving the Greek mythology, so I'll avoid voting on this poll.

I'm bored and I included Wonder Woman this time.
It's still unnecessary to include Man of Steel after you saw the beating it got by Black Panther.

Having looked at the three options, the correct answer is Batman Begins.
No fifth option allowed, please.

Definitely Black Panther. By far the most unique film of the three with it's world building, it has the best characters including the villain, it has some real character growth, and Boseman is a clearly better actor while using a different voice and accent than Gadot is using her own. As a bonus it has some of the best social commentary in the genre.

Wonder Woman was good but while Gadot is charming she is a mediocre actress, although it's far better hidden here than in the other two WW appearances. The story also really feels like it takes many beats from TFA and Thor, making it feel less unique. Pine's character is good though and he clearly stands above Gadot in the acting department, plus that his character is more significant than the analogs in the two other films I mentioned.

Both these films have disappointing finales though, where the action isn't as good as earlier in the films, but BP is still better as Killmonger still feels like a good character while Ares looks ridiculous and goes into generic villain mode.

MoS was already defeated in my judgement in the other poll so I'm not acknowledging it's presence here.

Last edited:
Wow triple threat. Still Black Panther is on top of this one. Both BP and WW have weak third acts, Gal is iconic, but BP has a great villain and better supporting characters.

Not sure why these movies are being compared. Why not just WW vs BP? I like both equally but to me one wasn’t better than the other

Wonder Woman. Black Panther has a much better villain, but I find it a lot weaker overall and not one I go back to as often. It's definitely still very good though. And then there's MOS with...well, it has the best score of them.

Man of Steel vs Wonder Woman, arguably the most popular non-Batman DC movies since Superman and Superman II; as well as Black Panther, with the same impact for black superheroes in film that Wonder Woman has for women superheroes in film.

Interesting poll. I voted Wonder Woman. Black Panther is a close second.

Okay. WW > BP > MOS but IMO the battle of Smallville is the single best action scene out of any of these three films. That and the score are the only points at which MOS tops this poll.

Smallville Battle > No Man's Land > all the action scenes in BP

BP is still a very good film but I just found the action scenes kind of generic, even the final showdown, I can barely remember them - I only saw WW once but I really remember the Germans v Amazons and of course No Man's Land, which is kind of emotional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"