Mark Millar To Consult On FOX's MARVEL ADAPTATIONS

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
PRESS RELEASE
Marking an expanded commitment to some of its most important franchises, Twentieth Century Fox has brought on comics superstar Mark Millar to serve as a creative consultant on the studio’s upcoming projects based on Marvel Comics properties.

Millar wrote several celebrated Marvel books such as The Ultimates, Civil War and Wolverine: Old Man Logan, before moving on to found Millarworld (millarworld.tv), where he continues to develop existing film franchise titles Wanted and Kick-Ass, as well as newer comic properties The Secret Service, Superior, and Nemesis — the latter also in development at Fox. Millar will work with Fox on developing new avenues for its "X-Men" and "Fantastic Four" tentpoles.

Commented TCF production president Emma Watts: “We are excited to be working with Mark. In addition to his groundbreaking Marvel work, he is simply one of the most original voices in comics today and will be an invaluable resource to us and to our filmmakers as we look for fresh opportunities to innovate within our shared Marvel universe."

Upcoming for the studio is THE WOLVERINE, starring Hugh Jackman, directed by James Mangold; X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, helmed by Matthew Vaughn; and a reboot of “FANTASTIC FOUR, to be directed by Josh Trank (Chronicle).

“As someone who has spent his entire life obsessed with both comic-books and movies, this is essentially my dream gig as it's a unique combination of both,” stated Millar. “I spent ten years working at Marvel and am really happy with the work I did on the comic side of things so the idea of working with these characters now in a brand new medium is enormously exciting for me. I really like the Fox team, love this bold new direction they have for their franchises and am proud to be working alongside some of modern cinema's biggest talents. James Mangold is incredible, Matthew Vaughn's one of my closest pals and Josh Trank gave us, in my opinion, one of the greatest superhero movies of the last decade with Chronicle. The invitation to join this crew was maybe the coolest phone-call I've ever had.”

About Mark Millar
Mark Millar is the writer of Civil War, Marvel's biggest-selling series of the fifteen years, Ultimate X-Men, Wolverine: Old Man Logan, Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic Four and The Ultimates (described by Time magazine in 2010 as the best comic series of the decade). His Millarworld line of comics boasts a roster of creator-owned books such as Wanted, turned into a blockbuster movie starring Angelina Jolie; Kick-Ass, which starred Nicolas Cage; and Nemesis, which Fox is presently developing as a theatrical feature. Kick-Ass 2 is currently filming in London and Toronto, starring Jim Carrey and Chris Mintz-Plasse and Universal is also developing his War Heroes series with Mike DeLuca producing. The Secret Service, co-created with Watchmen legend Dave Gibbons and X-Men First Class director Matthew Vaughn, is also currently indevelopment. In his native UK, he's the editor of CLiNT magazine, an advisor on film to the Scottish government and managing director of his film and television company Millarworld Productions."

About 20th Century Fox Film
One of the world’s largest producers and distributors of motion pictures, 20th Century Fox Film produces, acquires and distributes motion pictures throughout the world. These motion pictures are produced or acquired by the following units: Twentieth Century Fox, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Fox International Productions and Twentieth Century Fox Animation.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=95273

You can pretty much write off the Fox Marvel movies now.

This is pretty awesome news. Fox is the company to beat as far I'm concerned. If only they let him at wolverine ahead of time.

Is it the best person?

No.

Is it a step in the right direction?

Yes.

I think Millar is a little too derided sometimes - he has done some very capable mainstream superhero work in the comics, but that does tend to take the backseat to his crazier work (where he has become a cliche).

Still, this is a good step for Fox in general - the fact that they care enough to do this is a big deal. Fox are notorious for rushing these films, just getting anyone who can deliver within a ridiculously tight window. They usually wouldn't bother actually having this kind of consultation.

This is pretty awesome news. Fox is the company to beat as far I'm concerned. If only they let him at wolverine ahead of time.

:lmao: Not as far as Marvel characters/CBM are concerned!!! :pal:

I dont see how this is bad in any way. Seems Fox is trying to push making more solid decisions with their properties. All the Directors they have are solid right now and Millar knows his **** better then any Fox exec. Rothmans gone and Millars now overseeing whats goen on for future flcks. This all seems like great news to me.

:lmao: Not as far as Marvel characters/CBM are concerned!!! :pal:

I get that he's the guy to hate(we have plenty of those in film), but anyone that doesn't appreciate his Superman work alone is just being obtuse.

His other works such as the acclaimed ultimates(which whedon wrote the forward for if i'm not mistaken), xmen, civil war have been absolute cultural hits, Which is what these films strive to be! I've read his creator owned stuff and it's out there, fine, let it be, it's another thing. I don't look at kirkmans walking dead and say he's too silly violent for mainstream, it's its own thing.

Millar's comic mainstream work is top notch. "marvel fans" have have their first avenger and thor films, I'd personally prefer a bolder touch. His jingo cap personally saved the character for me. Ulitmates one is some of the best cap work I've seen. His Cap vs Chris Evans?

Fox is looking to him for mainstream work, which means we'll get the mainstream Millar. His one issue of JLA 27 with amazo was excellent. Anyone that hates that is an idiot imo.

Oh gosh, he's going to turn FF into Kick Ass.

I get that he's the guy to hate(we have plenty of those in film), but anyone that doesn't appreciate his Superman work alone is just being obtuse.

His other works such as the acclaimed ultimates(which whedon wrote the forward for if i'm not mistaken), xmen, civil war have been absolute cultural hits, Which is what these films strive to be! I've read his creator owned stuff and it's out there, fine, let it be, it's another thing. I don't look at kirkmans walking dead and say he's too silly violent for mainstream, it's its own thing.

Millar's comic mainstream work is top notch. "marvel fans" have have their first avenger and thor films, I'd personally prefer a bolder touch. His jingo cap personally saved the character for me. Ulitmates one is some of the best cap work I've seen. His Cap vs Chris Evans?

Fox is looking to him for mainstream work, which means we'll get the mainstream Millar. His one issue of JLA 27 with amazo was excellent. Anyone that hates that is an idiot imo.

Oh gosh, he's going to turn FF into Kick Ass.

And I get that he's written some good stuff on paper but THIS IS MOTION PICTURES... What Joss Whedon has that he's written comic book stories but he also has experience behind the cameras so he has a vision that Fox can't get from Millar. Like I've said before Fantastic Four could be awesome ( or more than likely just short) but If they rush it just to keep the rights and have to put this movie out against the Avengers 2. After shooting Wolverine they're getting on X-Men DOFP and then FF reboot just squeaking next to the revert deadline.. Man I just don't feel good about this and I don't care who they get to consult unless its Marvel/Disney cause if I was them I'd give them no extentions unlike what they did for Fox with Daredevil..

He's the consultant, not the director. His film experience(which he does have actually) isn't really an issue here.

For example, as a consultant, if fox pitched you tim stories fantastic four, would you "Dr Tactics" with your limited experience as a filmmaker, be in a position to help that property or make it worse? The thing about Millar is that he writes some kick ass mainstream plots. Mainly cause unlike hollywood he knows comics and unlike us fans, he's good enough to write them at top caliber levels. If any one should be consulted it's someone like that. Film experience isn't all that big an issue at this point.

This is the dude responsible for Cap going fist to fist with Iron man. Let him consult and give the main stream audience more things like that.

I can see it now: Reed Richards is an alcoholic, wife beating cannibal. Sue Richards is a pill popping, hippie, granola, scientist. Johnny Storm is a flashy, martini drinking, homosexual. And Thing...cannibal!!

Wolverine? Cannibal! Cyclops drug addicted, religious zealot. Oh and Beast....Cannibal!!!

yes, that makes perfect sense. It's literally what he did the last time he had complete control over the characters with editors standing by. I can also see it now.

i'm semi intrigued with what the plan is. FF and x-men don't really cross over that much. but they could expand x-men into multiple teams x-factor force etc. leading to them all joining up for AoA and other x-events. they could mimic hulk wolverine battles using thing. deadpool could have a spider-man type dynamic with the FF. they are definitely rebooting FF but would they reboot x-men when it's bringing in money for them already. if they don't reboot x-men they it'd be hard to find a tone for FF that would fit. anyway it's win win either they do something good or screw the pooch and marvel can get the rights back when they actually have time to do something with them. perhaps the events of DoFP will actually reboot the x-men in continuity.

Last edited:
i'm semi intrigued with what the plan is. FF and x-men don't really cross over that much. but they could expand x-men into multiple teams x-factor force etc.

It could be a clever strategy depending on how the new FF works. Although X-Men have such a large universe on their own, I'm not sure if it's necessary on a story level to crossover.

If it means they make FF a period piece, I'm all for it though.

For me, its just a resounding meh. Its another "creator consultant", which doesn't seem to amount to much in most projects. From what I've seen, Millar's only really good at refining existing classic elements and parody/satire. Besides being a fan, I don't see what he'd bring to the table that gives me any more hope for FOX Marvel superhero projects.

I guess we can look forward to more ULTIMATE influence moving forward. Which there kind of already was. But it seems really unlikely that FOX would greenlight films stemming from the kind of ULTIMATES material that Millar made himself a big name on.Millar's not exactly a purist, either, and seems to be ok with reinventing pretty much anything. I don't see this really having all that much impact on the overall quality of the individual films.

I can see it now: Reed Richards is an alcoholic, wife beating cannibal. Sue Richards is a pill popping, hippie, granola, scientist. Johnny Storm is a flashy, martini drinking, homosexual. And Thing...cannibal!!

Wolverine? Cannibal! Cyclops drug addicted, religious zealot. Oh and Beast....Cannibal!!!

....Dude, put down whatever you're smoking

i expect he's just drunk cos it's miller time.

"consulting" means nothing if no one actually listens to him. Stan Lee had a "consulting" role on the early Marvel TV projects but had no genuine creative control.

I'd say, unless he actually gets to be an active producer and, preferably, writer, on these projects, it's kind of like window dressing to a certain demo of fans..

By the way-- "Old Man Logan" as a movie will be thematically hobbled without the other characters that are not Fox-licensed...

I wish X-Men and Fantastic 4 would go back to Marvel!

Last edited:
Chris Claremont and Stan Lee were both "consultants" for the first X-Men movie. Not that big a deal.

Wasn't he one of the Marvel people who were hired when they were making the first Iron Man movie. I could've sworn i saw something like a round table discussion with marvel artists and Jon Favreau where they were pitching ideas back and forth

I think this is the first time Fox in an official press release acknowledges Josh Trank working on a Fantastic Four movie.

One other thing to notice: No Daredevil mentioned in this press release :D .

I can't wait to see what happens with Millar and the X-men. I think he really loves them and might bring their classic coolness back. It might even help their comics as well. They haven't really been relevant since M-day.

Back on topic though, I'm sure Vaughn is thrilled! I'm hope between the two of them they do for the X-men what Whedon and Feige did for the Avengers!

I think this is the first time Fox in an official press release acknowledges Josh Trank working on a Fantastic Four movie.

I'll be a believer when Trank actually starts shooting the damn thing. Until then there's no guarantee he won't be just the next director departee.

By the way-- "Old Man Logan" as a movie will be thematically hobbled without the other characters that are not Fox-licensed...

Not necessarily. Sure seeing cap and skull and hulk and where all the others landed was fun from a fan perspective, but from a story telling point of view, the unforgiven style themes would sell themselves. A man of violence swears never to pull out the claws again(after one crazy night). Instead of the green guys showing up to collect rent it could just as easily be other or even new muscle. What matters in that scene is how logan handles it. And that's how it would go for the entire film. However if that sort of thing was so important(something I'm glad millar would be involved with, thank goodness), they fox does own a good deal of characters worth making that happen with. For example switching frost with sue storm.
But I don't see this movie happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"