Superman Returns Mark Millar's thoughts on the movie . . .

It's nice to hear from a writer's point of view. The only problem I have is that he's going by his trailer impressions and not the movie. I'd be much more interested in what he thinks of the final film. Any number of people can give their doubts or simply praise a trailer. That's not too interesting to me. For example, all the writers who talk about how "Singer nailed the character" are full of hot air just as much as Millar expressing his doubts and fears. It'd be nice to actually hear their opinions once they see the final product.

Superman isn't about his relationship with Lois Lane and their kid. It's about Superman doing 'cool ****'

LOL

Superman is not about him and Lois--Superman is only about doing cool ****. Alright. Then let's have him fight a giant spider and . . . . nuclear man!! wtf. I'm constantly surprised how people think that the only thing that will sell a movie is violence. I like it just as much as the next guy, don't get me wrong, but there are things called "character development" and "conflict" and "drama" that don't rely on a Superman smackdown with Darkseid, Brainiac, Zod, etc.

I would LOVE TO SEE any of those.

But given this is reintroducing the character, you don't just jump right in the middle; his place needs to be RE-established, then we can go for the supervillians in the sequels. Obviously he can't fight Lex in every movie.

The kid concerns me. But we HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE YET. Geeze, how can he make all these assumptions and then expect to be vindicated? The movie will either do well or it won't, and it won't be because there is/isn't a showdown between Supes and someone that can go toe to toe with him. It will be because the story is solid or it isnt.

Superman isn't about his relationship with Lois Lane and their kid. It's about Superman doing 'cool ****'

Didn't Jon Peters say things like this?

Pickle-El said:
Didn't Jon Peters say things like this?
Close. I think what Jon Peters said was, "It's about Superman doing 'cool **** to giant spiders and polar bears."

I like his comment about X3, considering the reviews on X3 we're getting. Haha.

Everyone is allowed an opinion...even negative ones. It's always interesting to hear what people in the business think about a project.

It seems like Superman The Movie PLUS A KID.
OUCH!

This is why Singer should have started this franchise anew...with no history or connections to Supes 1 and 2. A lot of movie critics are going to be saying the exact same thing. This doesn't mean it's not gonna be a good movie, but the name "DONNER" is going to be mentioned more times than "SINGER" in most reviews because of this.

DARKSIED vs. SUPERMAN

Make it happen in the sequel, and make Lex Luthor a background character.

He does have a point about the whole "kid" thing coming in at the end of a franchise not the beginning. No one wants to see Superman dragging a family around for 3 films, though I lost some respect for Millar after his whole "Caviezel is Superman! I guarantee it!" schpiel last year

The Incredible Hulk said:
... though I lost some respect for Millar after his whole "Caviezel is Superman! I guarantee it!" schpiel last year

Oh yeah, I remember that now! Wasn't that even posted on AICN, he had some bet with Harry?

VGPOP said:
Who the hell is Mark Millar? :confused:

The best writer in comics today, save Alan Moore.

Tanin said:
Is Marvel asking their writers who hates the movie and paying them to say just how much they hate it?

Millar has wrote DC and Superman before. Most recently would be, if I'm not mistaken Superman: Red Son

Matt said:
I happen to disagree. I think that Millar is a less talented wannabe Warren Ellis.

Planetary is some cool stuff.

skruloos said:
I happen to disagree. I think that Millar is a less talented wannabe Warren Ellis.

Are you kidding me? Have you read The Ultimates or Ultimate X-Men?

Matt said:
Are you kidding me? Have you read The Ultimates or Ultimate X-Men?
Yes. And I don't think he's all that spectacular.

Matt said:
That honor would go to Grant Morrison, still it's only one person's opinion and while I may enjoy most of his work I need no other man's opinion on this film save my own.

C. Lee said:
Planetary is some cool stuff.
Exactly. I'd take Ellis work on any property any day over Millar. Just comparing their respective work on something like The Authority shows their vastly different styles. I just happen to enjoy Ellis more.

skruloos said:
Yes. And I don't think he's all that spectacular.

Have you read World Tour? Return of the King? Gods and Monsters? And you still don't like him...thats crazy talk...to each his own. I suppose he does rely a bit much on pop culture references...but it works.

Matt said:
Have you read World Tour? Return of the King? Gods and Monsters? And you still don't like him...thats crazy talk...to each his own. I suppose he does rely a bit much on pop culture references...but it works.
I never said that I don't like him. I just don't think he's spectacular. I'd place a few other writers above him.

As for Superman Returns. Well, I have to say...

...I'm a little worried.

Any regular poster here knows how much I dig Superman. Superman is the reason I started reading comics and the reason I wanted to write them too. I have Christopher Reeve's cape hanging in my hall and Frisky the cat stuffed and sitting on top of our dining room piano. I have also waited for nineteen years for Superman to be back on the big screen. I almost wept like a baby when I heard that Bryan was doing this flick after so many scares with Burton, Cage, killer polar bears and scripts based on a 1990s comic-book marketing stunt.

So why am I worried? I dunno. It's my spider-sense. It's just tingling. I liked the first trailer a lot, but that second trailer... It just seemed to lack any moments. There was a lot of everyone except Superman there and there wasn't a single moment that had my hair standing on end as I would have expected. Only a fool judges a movie based on a trailer, but there only needed to be one money shot-- one big moment-- to get me excited and what should have been that moment in the final third of the trailer is this horrible, jarring scene where the needle almost seems to jump and we get Spacey camping it up. Also, there are two big action sequences in this movie; a series of rescues by Superman in the middle and Superman saving people from a huge Earthquake towards the end. I'm not saying he needs to hit somebody, but... with today's special effects and what's expected from a superhero movie I think he DOES really need to hit somebody in the third act. It's what makes Spidey satisfying and Hulk unsatisfying. Superman isn't about his relationship with Lois Lane and their kid. It's about Superman doing 'cool ****' and I worry he's not going to be doing enough in this novie.

I thought Batman Begins would do 800 million and it did 400. I realize this is because the movie, though brilliant, lacked Batman. Similarly, Spidey 2 was a superior movie to Spidey 1, but the first flick had Spidey every eight minutes or so and kids watched it continuously. Kids don't want Spidey 2 or Batman Begins over and over and my worry is that Superman is going to suffer from the same problem. Also, it seems like Superman 5. It seems like the CAPSTONE to a franchise as opposed to a new foundation a quarter of a century after the first movie. Heroes get the girl and have a kid at the END of their adventures. Doing this right at the beginning just feels off and is problematic for sequels. Imagine 'BOND IS BACK... AND THIS TIME HE'S BROUGHT HIS WIFE AND KID' and you'll see what I mean. Incredibles is one of my top 5 movies ever, but the gag there is that it's a family of superheroes. That's not what makes Superman cool. It's a great ending to the franchise, but an unfortunate beginning.

Anyway, I pray I'm wrong because I want to love this more than any of you. I'll open a vein if Superman isn't as big as Titanic, but a Superman movie that starts with Krypton, goes to Smallville, has Clark going to the big city, has Superman saving Lois from a crashing plane, has Superman doing a series of rescues, has Luthor stealing Kryptonite, poisoning Superman and then setting off a huge earthquake seems kind of familiar and oddly pointless. It seems like Superman The Movie PLUS A KID.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but in terms of moments and coolness and all the things little kids wants to see on the screen I have a weird feeling that X3 might be the one that delivers this Summer.

MM
[/quote]It's funny, he sounds like me. I've said the same about technology these days and all. And there is a total lack of an actual Super story with this movie. Just more of him saving people...again.:down

This is a time when comics can really come to life, but with directors like Singer doing them they mess them up, 'cause they don't know and don't care about the character. They just want to do their own thing. Those type of directors need to stay away, and be kept away.

Here's how it should be, the filmmakers see the comic and what it is about, then, they bring that story to life, nothing more, nothing less. Don't add, don't take away. Just make the Superhero jump off the page and onto the silver screen.

And once again, I see this web site doesn't even have real fans on here, just a bunch of morons talking about stuff they don't even know about.

All that I saw was a bunch of idiots who didn't even know who Millar was.

Just pathetic. Superhero Hype isn't the only site out there, and it seems to have attracted just people who don't know anything and just have seen some movies, but they aren't fans.

I'm probably completely wrong about this...but was it Millar or Harry from AICN that said Caviesal would be Superman because if it was Millar than who gives a damn about his opinion.

The Watchman said:
That honor would go to Grant Morrison, still it's only one person's opinion and while I may enjoy most of his work I need no other man's opinion on this film save my own.

Morrison is over rated. I consider him the Howard Stern of comic books. He is like a shock jockey. He does things for the sake of shock value (Professor X's sister whom he killed in the womb, etc). In the end, his stories are lacking I think.

Matt said:
Morrison is over rated. I consider him the Howard Stern of comic books. He is like a shock jockey. He does things for the sake of shock value (Professor X's sister whom he killed in the womb, etc). In the end, his stories are lacking I think.
That's funny. I feel exatly the same way about Millar. But to each his own.

Morgoth said:
[They just want to do their own thing.

Or in Bryan Singer's case he just wants to do things Richard Donners way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"