Comics Marvel Announces Brand New Web of Spider-Man Ongoing Series

The Joker

The Clown Prince of Crime
Reaction score
After the stunning events of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #600, Spider-Man's life has become more unpredictable than ever, and it's about to get even more tangled in the all new ongoing WEB OF SPIDER-MAN, launching this October! That's right, it's the first new Spider-Man monthly series in two years and it kicks off with a bang, as one of Spider-Man greatest and most controversial foes returns! Each extra-sized issue of WEB OF SPIDER-MAN features your favorite Spider-Man writers and artists presenting can't-miss Spidey stories!

"With the ‘Gauntlet' storyline starting up and many classic adversaries of Spider-Man coming back to the book, we wanted to find a place to tell you more about them without it eating up too many pages of the thrice-weekly AMAZING SPIDER-MAN," explains series editor Steve Wacker. "So while we were tossing ideas around on where to best put that stuff, beleaguered assistant Tom Brennan came up with the notion to bring back the [WEB OF SPIDER-MAN] title as a way to give a home to stories to people caught up in Pete's life. Starting with the first issue's Kaine story by J.M. DeMatteis and then continuing onto stories about Electro, the Rhino, the Lizard and many more by Web-Head Fred Van Lente and regular Spidey artist Barry Kitson, the stories here directly impact what we're doing in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN!"

Plus, don't miss the continuing adventures of Spider-Girl in this all-new ongoing series! Every month, WEB OF SPIDER-MAN's your place to get the new adventures of Mayday Parker as brought to you by the incomparable team of Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz! What's next for the Spectacular Spider-Girl? Fans, new and old alike, will be thrilled by the answers!

Spider-Man's got everyone's spider-senses tingling with the thrice monthly AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, but now you can get even more Spider-action in WEB OF SPIDER-MAN #1, arriving in stores this October!

Link: http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.8750.New_Web_of_Spider-Man_Ongoing_Series

Wow so there is basically going to be a new spider-book every week of the month now...that works! lol

Aloha,
Marvel marketing at it's best.Amazing 3x a month, Web of Spider-Man on the fourth week, with a continuation of Spider-Girl.Those into SG but not that much into current continuity, will be exposed to what's happening in Amazing by way of Web. Sooner or later, they'll buy Amazing.
Spidey rules 4x a month:word:

The cover looks pretty nice, and with Kaine being the lead story, should be good :)

I read this, so wrong at first.
The second time too. I thought it was an internet comic, and than I thought it would run alongside ASM. Instead it's ASM family remixed.
Man, I need to go chill out. I've got a major headache. :(

I think this is a mistake. Overexposure and flooding the market. I think SMF wasn't selling that well, so they decided to re-brand that lame title with a title folks are familair with. People will think they need Web just like they needed Web or Friendly neighborhood, or SM or any of the other spin offs before. Soon we'll have Arachno, the Spider-Pup with his own series. I want Mayday dead. I want Ultimate dead. I want one ASM with continuity. But then again, I've never run a comic book company, so I'm probably wrong. :)

Last edited:
I read this, so wrong at first.
The second time too. I thought it was an internet comic, and than I thought it would run alongside ASM. Instead it's ASM family remixed.
Man, I need to go chill out. I've got a major headache. :(

"With the ‘Gauntlet' storyline starting up and many classic adversaries of Spider-Man coming back to the book, we wanted to find a place to tell you more about them without it eating up too many pages of the thrice-weekly AMAZING SPIDER-MAN," explains series editor Steve Wacker. "So while we were tossing ideas around on where to best put that stuff, beleaguered assistant Tom Brennan came up with the notion to bring back the [WEB OF SPIDER-MAN] title as a way to give a home to stories to people caught up in Pete's life. Starting with the first issue's Kaine story by J.M. DeMatteis and then continuing onto stories about Electro, the Rhino, the Lizard and many more by Web-Head Fred Van Lente and regular Spidey artist Barry Kitson, the stories here directly impact what we're doing in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN!"

Aloha,
Seems to me like this will be like when there was Amazing and PP Spectacular S-M, but with the added attraction/benefit of keeping Spider-Girl alive in some form.I'm reading that these Web of Spider-Man stories will be in continuity with Amazing. What's so wrong about that?:huh:
Spidey rules

At first I was like, "Oh man, they are adding ANOTHER Spider book!" Damn you Marvel!!! But then they are cancelling Family, which made me sad, but they are continuing Spider-Girl in the book!!! And it's a dollar cheaper! So I will be saving a buck! NICE!!! And J.M. DeMatteis is going to be writing the Web part, Tom Defalco, of course, writing Spider-Girl! And the first story is freakin' KAINE!! GEEKASM!!!!!!!! :wow:

Marvel is really bringing back the Clone stuff full force, huh?:word:

With this news, does anyone think that the Ben Reilly in the annual was actually Kaine impersonating Ben? It makes sense to me as Kaine was always tailing Ben and trying to mess him up by whatever means necessary.

I don't think so because Kaine had the degeneration scars on his face.

If I recall, we've never seen Ben and Kaine's first battle. In the early times of the lost years, Ben might have been hounded by Kaine and had his life messed up, and tried to find out who was doing it to him, which lead him to Damon mistakingly - maybe Kaine planted clues to put him on the wrong scent!?

Wow. They are going all out on the clone stuff. This is weird. And very sudden too. Why the change of heart? Is this Wacker's doing or Joe Quesada seeing if he can work some Mephisto magic and turn crap into gold? (Not that I thought the clone saga was crap per se, but that is the common perception among comic fans)

This is also a second chance for clone fans. If you REALLY like Ben Reilly you will buy (or even buy multiple copies of)... Amazing Annual #36, the upcoming ASM "Who is Ben Reilly?" arc (even if you're part of that dumb boycott), the Clone Saga mini by Defalco and Mackie and this Web of Spider-Man comic with Kaine. Keep a checklist and get all of them. That's the only way we'll get our point across that we want more Ben and Kaine.

Anyone with sales info know if X-Men/Spider-Man #3 outsold 1,2 and 4? That could have sparked this. Also, the Spider-Girl fans are mostly clone saga fans too, so maybe they figure they already have a built-in fanbase.

Aloha,
Seems to me like this will be like when there was Amazing and PP Spectacular S-M, but with the added attraction/benefit of keeping Spider-Girl alive in some form.I'm reading that these Web of Spider-Man stories will be in continuity with Amazing. What's so wrong about that?:huh:
Spidey rules

LOL thanks. I've still got a headache and didn't really want to go through reading the whole thing again. It hurt to focus my eyes.

So now we've got 4 monthly titles, with them starting to reference the clone saga. I have to check it out since that's basically my birth as a spidey fan. :D

Wow. Kaine. They arent playing around about referencing the Clone Saga again. And DeMatties is back, so thats definitely a very good thing.

ug... here we go again

won't be long until we have 4 spidey titles.

It would be decent if Web was made like a double-issue for the conclusion of arcs.

I predict the next ongoing will be one focusing on Ben Reilly at this point. :o

Glad they are bringing back the Web of Spider-Man title, i always liked that, and it works very well for this style of comic.

Meh.

I'll buy it for Spider-Girl, as that is why I was buying ASM:Family. Don't care for the rest of it.

ug... here we go again

won't be long until we have 4 spidey titles.

It would be decent if Web was made like a double-issue for the conclusion of arcs.

It is taking the place of Amazing Spider-Man family. And technically they are having four Spidey titles. The three Amazing books and now the Web of Spider-Man book...so you have a new Spidey story every week now...no breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"