Comics Marvel Announces Brand New Web of Spider-Man Ongoing Series

You've got it wrong just a tad bit.
He's not trying to spite anyone....

It's just that One more day (whether we all want to admit it or not)
Is the very foundation of Brand new day. That's a reminder in itself.

Thats understandable, at least to me.

Okay, but what is his opposition to Web rooted in? I don't get that. Half of it, the Spider-Girl half, doesn't even take place in the 616 (which means One More Day and Brand New Day aren't even continuity)... and as for the Kaine story by DeMatties? Do you think DeMatties even knows what happened in One More Day, let alone read it? I doubt it. The last Spidey story he read was probably his own. Way I heard it, he stormed out of the Marvel summit when they told him they were resurrecting Aunt May. If he can ignore that two of his best stories were undone (the deaths of Aunt May and Harry Osborn), then farmer can ignore the fact this story *technically* takes place in the post-BND 616. Peter probably won't even appear in the Kaine story, so there's nothing there that even the most anti-BND zealot could object to. It's all a bit silly, no? I hated when Aunt May was brought back (which to me, still stings me more than the deal with Mephisto), but I still read Jenkins' and JMS's take on her, because I didn't want to miss out on some great stories.

It's just like when John Bryne wanted Rick Jones to be the hulk. (or the hulk separated from Banner, I forget)
controversial eh? Well Jim shooter had it flipped back and than Peter David had arguably the BEST run on hulk.

Of course they didn't change the identity of Spider-man. But to some readers this feels like Ultimate Amazing.....and they aren't really wrong for thinking that either. It really feels like the book ended in ASM 544

You could make the argument that the book ended any time in Spidey's history. There's some people who think the clone saga killed the book. Some who think the marriage killed the book (which kick-started this whole thing). Spider-Man will probably be published for a century, so naturally there will be ups and downs, but the fact is, you have to roll with the punches. Spider-Man has been involved in some absolutely atrocious storytelling over the years. But that's comics for you. And if you don't move past that one bad story, you're denying yourself all the great ones that will come out.

Okay, but what is his opposition to Web rooted in? I don't get that. Half of it, the Spider-Girl half, doesn't even take place in the 616 (which means One More Day and Brand New Day aren't even continuity)... and as for the Kaine story by DeMatties? Do you think DeMatties even knows what happened in One More Day, let alone read it? I doubt it. The last Spidey story he read was probably his own. Way I heard it, he stormed out of the Marvel summit when they told him they were resurrecting Aunt May. If he can ignore that two of his best stories were undone (the deaths of Aunt May and Harry Osborn), then farmer can ignore the fact this story *technically* takes place in the post-BND 616. Peter probably won't even appear in the Kaine story, so there's nothing there that even the most anti-BND zealot could object to. It's all a bit silly, no? I hated when Aunt May was brought back (which to me, still stings me more than the deal with Mephisto), but I still read Jenkins' and JMS's take on her, because I didn't want to miss out on some great stories.

Web of Spider-man does take place within current continuity.
I thought it wouldn't at first but someone explained to me either wise.

The funny thing is, most people reference this retcon and compare to others when this is the first time EVER that something has been written out with magic completely. Peter can still reference Aunt May's "death" in 400. That retcon built upon it to bring back Aunt may. It's lame but it makes sense.

But he can't reference his marriage nor can he remember it properly.

The difference between this retcon and any other, is that it states that all these years Peter and Mj weren't married. These characters can now never reference their marriage. It's going to make the title really confusing when new readers jump on and read back issues.

You could make the argument that the book ended any time in Spidey's history. There's some people who think the clone saga killed the book. Some who think the marriage killed the book (which kick-started this whole thing). Spider-Man will probably be published for a century, so naturally there will be ups and downs, but the fact is, you have to roll with the punches. Spider-Man has been involved in some absolutely atrocious storytelling over the years. But that's comics for you. And if you don't move past that one bad story, you're denying yourself all the great ones that will come out.

Like I said before, all of those previous stories are extensions to the mythos. This is a comic where "Superboy punches to the timeline" don't exist. It's why I'm not a big DC fan.

The greatest Spider-man stories build off of his mythos and contiunity.
Peter Parker and Mary jane are the best known comics couple next to Superman and Lois Lane.
Stan Lee gave them all the tools they need to tell amazing stories.

Gwen Stacy? He created her. Juggernaut? He created him.
It just took another writer to put those stories together to make something great.

There are some exceptions of course......
Like who killed jean dewolfe.

But The majority of great ideas came from his head. What he built.

lol I won't be missing some great stories.
Not really, there hasn't been a great Spider-man story arc since "Coming home......
American son (which i liked) was Harry Osborn's show.

Ultimate Spider-man is excluded from that because all that story did was tweak Classic tales.

I think I'm going to be a Daredevil fan from now on. :oldrazz:
DD is the new Spider-man. No wait, that's invincible.

Last edited:
ULCER: You're trying not to be excited about a book that you obviously want to be excited about, for no other reason than to spite the creators of 'Brand New Day'. But you're really spiting yourself. What, you think Kaine is going to talk about Peter's deal with Mephisto in that issue? Or will Spider-Girl who is in a different reality completely? Why can't you approach these stories (and these writers, such as DeMatties and DeFalco who have NOTHING to do with BND) independently? Your logic is effin' ridiculous.

First off buddy...i shouldn't have to defend my love for spider-man all these years. I cannot believe Captain Stacey started this. Good grief.

Second of all...i am STILL reading spider-man, my favorite character. I am not going to BUY it, like my friend does and DOESN"T read it. I don't mock him, or tell him to move on and stop buying. What's the hoola hoopin' matter with some people on here???!

Third...I am not "TRYING" to not like my favorite character. Feelings come naturally. If anything...i am honestly trying hard to LIKE my fav....i even broke down and BOUGHT the NWTD TPB, because i WANT to like my favorite character.

Fourth....you do NOT know my intentions..despite you telling and claiming i am trying to "spite the creators". Hwo can you claim to know my inner intentions? I am the quiestest, least spiteful person ever...my friend DIED LAUGHING at that one when i told him about this bunk on here about having to move on if you don't like BND. He's BUYING something he doesn't like...IT"S HIS GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO BUY HIS FAVORITE AND NOT LIKE IT. HE collects it! I am not buying..but i do not JUDGE him for.

This is stupid i have to defend myself for not liking a direction i am READING. Good grief.

Everyone should defend themselves and we should call names and talka bout motives for those liking it. Why have we become so anal on this thread that we're out attacking people with other thoughts who are READING this book?

So what if i was excited at one point and then it dwindled. I get excited about lots of things initially before my thoughts take over. Whoopty doo. AND if you READ the link about the new WEB, they state it is a part of the BND world..!!!!!

This board is getting sad when people start LABELING and pretending they know MOTIVES of others and told to not read something anymore jsut because you share your opinions.

Varying opinions make the world go round.

If this is how marvel wants their fans treating other fans of their flagship character....that is not a good sign.

don't go telling people what their motives are and labeling them for different opinions. this is no different than saying you're a bigger fan, or you're not a fan or whathaveyou.

ULCER: Brand New Day doesn't have a chance with you, because no matter what the story is about you'll find some way to connect it to the original sin of One More Day,which is never even freakin' referenced! A writer who comes onboard a year after that story was published will still be judged by it in your eyes. Newsflash: It's not getting retconned. Move on.

Um....i don't have to find ANY way to connect OMD and BND....OMD...IS...BND. IT is the foundation for the reboot which is BND.

It is never referenced? Maybe you should stop reading spidey comics since you don't seem to be actually "reading" it. Everything about OMD is IN ..BND...and referenced constantly. The mindwiping, the magical mask, Harry Osborn, MJ, winks to the devil...i mean, Slott alone has put in LOTS of stuff continuing on the so called mystery of the magical reboot.

"Newsflash?...its not getting retconned? Move on?"

Kind stuff there Mr. Ulcer, the guy who knows my actual MOTIVES.

Have you ever read my posts and know how NICE i am to people on here and how i see their points and joke light heartedly all the time????

And, sorry, but this reboot WILL be retconned. The unmasking was not getting retconned either, at one point, Joe Q. stated.

Why are we arguing about THAT? You HONESTLY think this will never get retconnned.

I am sure MArvel will be glad to know you and cap'n stacey are encouraging VERY LONG TERM SPIDEY FANS AND CUSTOMERS to move on.

Maybe i should just be a fan of a comic where people care?

Sheesh.

THing is, there are a lot of intelligent, nice posters on here who i would miss, besides missing spidey, like i do.....TMOB, ILUVCLONES, STYLESHIFT, SIAT, DOC,...others...

I look forward to not having to defend my MOTIVES for a simple post on here, which is what mine originally was. Again, i am shocked cap'n stacey crapped on me so everyone could join the bandwagon...he is usually very respectable.

Wow, this is getting heated guys. lol. I mean look at the end of the day, its comics, there's going to be good storylines, bad storylines and really really bad storylines. The fact that many people are still talking about One More Day is a testament to how catastrophic it was. I dont think anybody could defend that story. I could be wrong but i dont think there's any other comicbook storyline out there that could compare to how OMD messed with Spider-man. Period. Not even the clone saga. And its not like the story just happened and now we're moving on, the ripples and plot holes from that continue to affect the book. The moment MJ comes back into the book, what do you think everybody's going to be talking about? Her new look? lol.

JJ Ulcer, i completely understand your point, but you have to also understand that Marvel's not makin it easy on us to forget OMD. Its extremely hard not to look at Mary Jane nowadays and not think of OMD, or what she whispered to mephisto, or how much of her previous life does she remember. I think i speak for a lot of people when i say, i would like to give BND a fair shot, cause there's definite potential, but for once and for all Marvel NEEDS to find a way to sweep OMD underneath the carpet. FAST. Cause dragging it out is just making it worse.

KGUILLOU: ...you have to also understand that Marvel's not makin it easy on us to forget OMD. Its extremely hard not to look at Mary Jane nowadays and not think of OMD, or what she whispered to mephisto, or how much of her previous life does she remember.

I think i speak for a lot of people when i say, i would like to give BND a fair shot, cause there's definite potential, but for once and for all Marvel NEEDS to find a way to sweep OMD underneath the carpet. FAST. Cause dragging it out is just making it worse.

thank you. that's how i feel. They could have at least divorced them, killed mj, (not recommending that)....but it is WAY better than a magical new world created by the devil deal/altering history...wondering who remembers what and knows what about a marriage that happened but never happened and the ripple effects it had to create but didn't because Joe says so. Doh! The whole thing DOES need to be swept under a rug. I woulda been mad if they had done those things to MJ....but at least THEY are things in life that HAPPEN...and i woulda gotten over it....but they wanted NO progression with Pete...which stands out now more than ever like a SORE THUMB due to everyone around Pete with progression, marriages, past marriages, while Pete's history he CANNOT HAVE. Everyone is moving on or has, while PEte isn't and never did. He might as well be a college boy or something...i dunno...it feels just odd...imo.

Look, I've bought EVERY issue since Amazing #1. Every issue. Not only that, but of Web, Peter PArker Spectacular, Marvel Tales, MArvel-Team Up, all of it. The only thing i don't have is the Clone Sage and post OMD issues.

I've bought TONS of comic issues that i loved, and bought TONS of comic issues that weren't the best spidey issues compared to some others too. Tons of hi's and lo's that i PAID for.

I've endured bad stories. Bought bad stories. Still love Spidey.

I am reading bad stories currently but am not buying, yet i STILL LOVE SPIDEY!!!

Obviously i am prone for a whole lot of spider-lovin' as a fan and customer. I am not gonna suddenly just totally DITCH my favorite character and role model that i've enjoyed and grown up with just because we're in an extended slump or poorly contrived reboot. I will not dump spidey because a few forumers want me to.

I came BACK after Clone Saga, unlike many many others. I'll come back after this. Again, i am not even GONE....i am just NOT BUYING it...except for the NWTD...because it feels so ODD to NOT buy spidey stuff. It feels weird to not buy spidey stuff. It is what i've ALWAYS done and always will do in the future when BND is history and ignored mostly, as is Clone Saga now.

I am not buying it for one reason...not worth my money....i am not SPITING the creators...i love Slott!!!!..so whatever....i am not boycotting....i am just not buying something so mandated, forced, and etc. JR JR is one of my favorite artists...i bought his Wolverine TPB's...jsut for his art!!...(one of the extra reasons i bought NWTD!!...tho his art there wasn't his best, i'd say...not to be negative....err, i mean...JRJR's art in BND is the keenest coolest ever!! WOOHOOOO!!)

So yes, I was EXCITED ABOUT A NEW "WEB OF"....because it is nostalgic to me....i think of all the first "Web of" cover images that come to my mind and the excitement of originally going to Bells Grocery Store with my mom and buying them monthly! Wiating for the next issues! Web Of when it came out just seemed so cool...and i dunno...different..an edge...

Another example..I LOVE GI JOE CARTOONS! NOSTALGIC...THO I MUST ADMIT, whenever i actually rewatch them on dvd sets i have..they are not QUITE as good as my initial hyped EXCITED FEELING...not because i am a GI JOE hater!!??? :whatever:

After reading more info about the new Web, and it's ties to BND World...which is what Spidey IS right now...love it or hate it...i personally was LESS excited. Period. No big deal. No thoughts of spiting creators. Just my FEELINGS i was expressing on a FORUM for spidey fans, which all of us are. Hope that is clear. Having to DEFEND your FEELIINGS to a stranger on here about one's dwindled excitement, is odd....good grief.

Last edited:
sheesh...some attitudes here bring me down...:csad:

Yes. Which is why I took a very long break from these boards. Unfortunately things have not changed much.

Though you never answered my question. Weren't you a fan of Spider-Girl? Or I may be thinking of another poster.

I like Spider-Girl.....but i think you are maybe thinking of Shinlyle.

He's a much bigger spider-girl fan than I am. I"ve only got an issue or two, and i think one TPB. Never read it as much, but do like what i have read.

Sorry SIAT...didn't mean to ignore ya's! :yay:

Ok because I was going to say if you are still wanting to follow Spider-Girl it is going to be continuing in the Web of Spider-Man series.

It works out perfect for me. Get another regular universe Spider-Man story, filling that one week void Amazing has, and then Spider-Girl still continues in the same book...and it saves me a dollar from Spider-Man family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"