Marvel MAX - On the Big Screen?

CaptainWagner

I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (he/him)
Reaction score
Shortly after the announcement of the Disney-Fox deal, Bob Iger assured share-holders that they wouldn't force Deadpool to be PG-13, implying he believes there is room for an "R-Rated Marvel" branding alongside the rest of the MCU. What sort of movies besides Deadpool would you all want to see released under this potential banner?

Black Widow?

51dZU%2BI2C6L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I do hope they can bring the Netflix heroes in for a feature film.

There's certainly some characters that would be better served by a more mature approach and content wise maybe need to have that sort of material. Bring it on. It certainly hasn't hurt things like DD, JJ or Punisher on Netflix.

http://collider.com/r-rated-marvel-movies-disney-fox-deal/#bob-iger
what happens to Fox Searchlight and Fox 2000, smaller Fox umbrella studios that specialize in creating content for adults and teenagers. Iger reportedly said he is “very interested in what Searchlight accomplished and Fox 2000, and we fully intend to stay in those businesses.” Here’s hoping.

Fox Studio (depending on how much swallowed up) Disney could perhaps still utilize for following:
2019-Gambit
2020-X-Force
2020-New Mutants Sequel
2020-Black Widow
2021-James Mangold project whatever that may be

Sony:
2018-Venom
2019-Silver Sable and the Wildpack (Black Cat guest starring)
2020-Venom Sequel
2021-Morbius

Horror/Supernatural Characters would be interesting to develop moreso as well but just not enough room under Disney umbrella. Marvel Entertainment could perhaps make a horror anthology for small screen. Marvel Studios perhaps could do 1 or 2 post-2020 when phases obsolete just have to put a Max stamp over the Studio logo or something as well but doubt that'll happen.

Last edited:
Uh... I think that Marvel Studios will be the home of MARVEL characters from now on.

Marvel Studio's is part of Disney so can set-up office on Fox studio lot with Sony produced films being all that's separate. Marvel worked with Sony on Homecoming so I wouldn't mind it being with the Venom film but I know many feel STRONGLY different. Anyway, that's the movies that I can see happening as R-Rated based on what's been announced but of course subject to cancellation if another course is taken.

Marvel Studio's is part of Disney so can set-up office on Fox studio lot with Sony produced films being all that's separate. Marvel worked with Sony on Homecoming so I wouldn't mind it being with the Venom film but I know many feel STRONGLY different. Anyway, that's the movies that I can see happening as R-Rated based on what's been announced but of course subject to cancellation if another course is taken.

I think you're willfully not getting it. It's not a good look.

I'd be fine with a Marvel Max brand for films that take place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe but maybe shouldn't be seen by kids. Disney will want to make sure that parents know that their Deadpool movie isn't kid friendly like Spider-Man...and he said in his quote that they would make sure that parents knew that it was rated R...so I actually could see Disney doing this.

I don't read the comments as anything more than answering the question about Deadpool. Certainly, I wouldn't read it as anything other than comments on franchises acquired from Fox unless Venom is both a success and Marvel reacquired the rights from Sony (which is contradictory).

Black Widow?

I don't see it. She is associated with the Avengers at this point, they won't want to limit their BO potential on any of the main Avengers. Someone like Moon Knight? Before I would have said he is a Netflix show, but this is another door open to the likes of him or Blade.

I do hope they can bring the Netflix heroes in for a feature film.

This.

And it doesn't need to be an event film or summer blockbuster. Just make it a quieter crime drama that is R-rated. Other studios manage to put out more than 3 films in a year. A DD film or a Heroes for Hire film or a Punisher film could go out like one of the smaller films that other studios make.

I don't see that the film division need to dedicate so many resources to it either that it will interfere with their slate. They could get the people who work on the shows to work on these, but just edit it so that the pacing is better, and have a few more bigger action set pieces.

But even then, they don't need to be massive set pieces. The hallway fights in DD have been great.

Just think of it like the Batman 66 movie. They managed to put one out between seasons. Then they used some extra footage or sets from that for the TV series later on.

And an X-Files movie was also made between seasons.

For the Marvel movies, they haven't really expanded into the gritty crime drama on the big screen yet. For all those who haven't watched the Netflix series, that genre is still untapped in the movies. That means it could still feel fresh.

Black Widow?

It seems almost as if Infinity War is already paying homage to Yelena Belova's look with ScarJo sporting a blonde hairdo similar to that.

I don't see it. She is associated with the Avengers at this point, they won't want to limit their BO potential on any of the main Avengers. Someone like Moon Knight? Before I would have said he is a Netflix show, but this is another door open to the likes of him or Blade.

Most likely the r-rated films will be tangential to the main films, much like the netflix series. Since Iger specifically said as long as they let the audience know it won't be a problem so having them somewhat isolated with their own crossovers. They don't want parents to buy an R rated film because Black Widow is on the cover so it'll be fine because "she's an avenger". So there's might be some crossover but mostly likely be separate.

I never really minded that something wasn't R rated. R rating doesn't mean "good" just a little more uncompromising, but there are stories that can play to the strength of that. Deadpool being a perfect example. You can have Blade or Ghost Rider, but I don't see the MCU being interested in either of those. Maybe X-Force if they like the set up in Deadpool 2 and can work it into the MCU.

Most likely the r-rated films will be tangential to the main films, much like the netflix series. Since Iger specifically said as long as they let the audience know it won't be a problem so having them somewhat isolated with their own crossovers. They don't want parents to buy an R rated film because Black Widow is on the cover so it'll be fine because "she's an avenger". So there's might be some crossover but mostly likely be separate.

I never really minded that something wasn't R rated. R rating doesn't mean "good" just a little more uncompromising, but there are stories that can play to the strength of that. Deadpool being a perfect example. You can have Blade or Ghost Rider, but I don't see the MCU being interested in either of those. Maybe X-Force if they like the set up in Deadpool 2 and can work it into the MCU.

Ghost Rider could work like the Hulk in a team movie. I want a Champions movie with Black Widow, Hercules, Angel, Iceman and Ghost Rider.

tumblr_nsp3epDs7K1uy8kf7o1_1280.jpg

It would also be teaming up different properties we haven't seen together before. BW from Marvel/Disney, Hercules whom we've never seen before, Angel and Iceman from Fox and Ghost Rider (formerly from Sony).

Of course, a Champions movie doesn't need to be R-rated. That can work perfectly as a PG or PG-13 movie. But that's one way for the MCU to use Ghost Rider. I don't want him relegated to the small screen in AOS where he has very limited screen time and they have to keep cutting away from him after he's lit up.

http://collider.com/r-rated-marvel-movies-disney-fox-deal/#bob-iger

Fox Studio (depending on how much swallowed up) Disney could perhaps still utilize for following:
2019-Gambit
2020-X-Force
2020-New Mutants Sequel
2020-Black Widow
2021-James Mangold project whatever that may be

Sony:
2018-Venom
2019-Silver Sable and the Wildpack (Black Cat guest starring)
2020-Venom Sequel
2021-Morbius

Horror/Supernatural Characters would be interesting to develop moreso as well but just not enough room under Disney umbrella. Marvel Entertainment could perhaps make a horror anthology for small screen. Marvel Studios perhaps could do 1 or 2 post-2020 when phases obsolete just have to put a Max stamp over the Studio logo or something as well but doubt that'll happen.

Not sure if Black Widow deserves an R-rating. James Bond and Jason Bourne both get away with PG-13 ratings just fine.

Yes, please. PLEASE MARVEL DO THIS. It'd be nice to have an adult brand of Marvel films. I'd like to see:

Black Widow
Ghost Rider
Daredevil feature film (Charlie Cox deserves it)
Blade

AND, while this won't ever happen, this is my fanboy fantasy so do please don't stone me:

SPIDER-MAN

Let me explain. lol I'm not saying I want a rated R Spiderman film but I would like a Spider-man movie perhaps years later when Tom Holland is older where Peter is in college or fresh out of college and is a young adult and tackling more mature and adult issues. I'd like a Spider-man movie reminiscent of the John Romita stories from the 70's and 80's where Peter where is juggling romance, sex, work, turmoil in friendships (maybe tackle the Harry Osborn drug addiction issue) with his Spider-man life.

They don't need to call it Marvel Max or Marvel Knights. They would just be films that are designed to be more adult and r rated and is still.connected to the other MCU films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"