Comics Marvel NOW: Spider-Man Renew Your Vows

UltimateWebhead

Black's the new Red&Blue
Reaction score
A new series headed up by writer Gerry Conway and artist Ryan Stegman is approaching sometime this fall or possibly early next year. It's a continuation of the previous RYV written by Slott. It has Peter still married to MJ and they have a daughter, Annie. This story, for those that don't know, tells a tale that is set as though the deal with Mephisto never took place.

Here's some art released by Stegman:

vows.jpg

tumblr_oc2mr7iQOY1svvfjzo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oc2n96xd7Y1svvfjzo1_1280.jpg

CqGHjDxW8AEfaDu.jpg

CqJ3tb3UMAY54c2.jpg

spider-man_renew_your_vows_mary_jane.jpg

tumblr_inline_obz0h3Ikuw1s16be1_540.jpg

Gerry Conway famous writer from 70's? That so great.

Yep. It's the same Gerry Conway. Not only do I enjoy both his writing and Stegman's art but Conway was always an advocate for the Peter/MJ relationship, so it's great to see him in a role where he gets to write them as a couple once again. Both Conway and Stegman seem to be excited about working on this project.

I am looking forward to this more than any other comic currently running or in production and I truly hope it outsells the main ASM book. Probably won't change anything in the long run but if it does outsell ASM, it may send a message to Marvel.

You want them to put Peter and MJ back together?

Yes.

Part of the reason I'm so looking forward to this series--I'm just going to pretend it's the main continuity until they fix the awful ASM book.

Here's some more art by Stegman:

CqUp64rWIAI_ahW.jpg:large

So this means the whole Superior Spiderman didn't happen and Ock is still alive?

So this means the whole Superior Spiderman didn't happen and Ock is still alive?

Yes. RYV takes place prior to OMD. In the 2015 RYV series, Spidey beats the tar outta Ock.

I cannot wait for this;

Pete's finally a family man

MJ's back

Gerry Conway is writing!

I have one question, is this after the Regent storyline? It'll be a bit disappointing to have so many heroes dead if that's the case. :(

I cannot wait for this;

Pete's finally a family man

MJ's back

Gerry Conway is writing!

I have one question, is this after the Regent storyline? It'll be a bit disappointing to have so many heroes dead if that's the case. :(

Yes, it takes place after the Regent storyline. Sucks that so many heroes are dead. But how often do heroes come back? If they don't, I think that's why we're seeing MJ in costume. They ended the Regent story with the Parkers fighting as a family, looks as though that will continue.

I'm excited about this too. Really hope it turns out well--but so far everything points toward greatness.

I was much more excited with the pitch "Wonder what would've happened if Brand New Day didn't occur?" than I am with the Amazing Spider-Fam.

I haven't read it either. I was pretty disgusted with the spider-titles at the time (to a lesser degree, I still want new creators) and saw the non-ASM months as a chance to take a break from the character. I by all accounts missed a pretty good story though.

No not read it. Is it good?

Yes. It is very good imo. The biggest drawback is that it is only 5 issues and covers quite a bit of time within that span of pages. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

I haven't read it either. I was pretty disgusted with the spider-titles at the time (to a lesser degree, I still want new creators) and saw the non-ASM months as a chance to take a break from the character. I by all accounts missed a pretty good story though.

Understandably so. Slott has been on the book for 8 years or longer and was on the "let's ruin the marriage team" that brought us OMD. He's had his moments though...Spider-Island was decent, his "I'm with Stupid" book was awesome and Slott actually is the one who penned RYV. Despite a couple of minor flaws, Slott kicks ass on the series. So, yes, imo, you missed out on a pretty good story. Not too late though, this new RYV with Conway starts sometime this fall, I think. You have time to pick up the start of the series and read it.

Understandably so. Slott has been on the book for 8 years or longer and was on the "let's ruin the marriage team" that brought us OMD. He's had his moments though...Spider-Island was decent, his "I'm with Stupid" book was awesome and Slott actually is the one who penned RYV. Despite a couple of minor flaws, Slott kicks ass on the series. So, yes, imo, you missed out on a pretty good story. Not too late though, this new RYV with Conway starts sometime this fall, I think. You have time to pick up the start of the series and read it.

Oh, undoubtedly. I am a fan of the marriage and I think OMD is colossally freaking stupid, but I enjoyed much of the BND era and what followed. I was pretty happy with a majority of Slott's stories up until vol. 3 of ASM (right after Superior ended). Dear God, that blew. For the most part I think Slott has some admirable ideas and good stories, but his stories have gone way downhill since Wacker stopped editing his books. Spider-Island is definitely on my short list of best Spidey stories and my top 5 list of Spidey stories post-2000. I was looking forward to the new RYV book because I like Conway, and I'm still gonna pick it up, just not psyched about the whole MJ in costume ordeal. Definitely giving it a chance though! :up:

Have to admit, despite my reservations, I'm pretty excited for this book.

Have to admit, despite my reservations, I'm pretty excited for this book.

Me too. It makes sense though...Gerry Conway, a big-time advocate of the Peter/MJ relationship, is writing a story featuring a married MJ and Peter. The argument that I've always seen is how having Peter married somehow dulls the stories or doesn't even allow for exciting or well-told stories because it somehow takes away from a part of his character. Rubbish. My hope is that this turns out to be a high quality, really good story that's fun, funny, and just feels like a Spider-Man book. Something that has been sorely missing from ASM.

Looks like the release date for RYV is this November! And as you can read, apparently now MJ also has Spider powers. Not sure how she gets them in this series, as she didn't have them in the end of the previous RYV series that this new one is a continuation of--but I'm sure it will be explained...

From the Marvel solicitations:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #1
GERRY CONWAY (W) • RYAN STEGMAN (A/C)
Variant Cover by ADAM KUBERT
HIP-HOP Variant Cover by TBA
Action Figure Mary Jane & ANNIE Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
Divided We Stand Variant Cover by TBA
The Parker family is web-slinging and wall-crawling their way into your hearts and into comic shops later this year! Life is good for Peter Parker and Mary Jane; their daughter Annie is their pride and joy, they’re both working and (barely) making ends meet, they’re keeping the streets of New York City safe from super villains…you know, normal family stuff. Oh, did we mention MJ and Annie have Spider-Powers –– just like Peter?! Being Spider-Man just became a family affair...
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

http://www.newsarama.com/30738-marvel-comics-november-2016-solicitations.html

I really do hope they don't try to eek out a whole storyline of mystery and intrigue surrounding MJ's acquisition of powers. Just give it to us on the recap page.

I really do hope they don't try to eek out a whole storyline of mystery and intrigue surrounding MJ's acquisition of powers. Just give it to us on the recap page.

I agree. Not sure how that will play out but I still remain confident Conway will handle it with the right amount of care...giving it just enough of an explanation and not over do it. I think he's coherent in his writing to know exactly what is and what is not needed.

Agreed. Other than that "Spiral" ASM.1 mini from awhile ago, I've ready very little of Conway that I haven't liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"