• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Marvel Studios' Movies Won't Be R-rated

The first sentence didn't make sense.
Guess, you're not a frequent visitor to the Bat Boards.
Realism is one of the main arguments for everything over there.

But anyways. Iron Man is different. He's not an R rated character like Punisher or Blade. So that argument was very weak.
The argument isn't weak at all...
Iron Man was wasting people left and right under a pg-13 rating, to the tune of (currently) $450 million dollars.
Killing does not necessarily mean an R rating.
These characters have all been successful for YEARS in comics and even cartoons WITHOUT blood and gore. You have presented no valid reasoning whatsoever as to why they need to be R rated, except the fact that it is your own personal desire to see that for whatever reason.

And that's fine, but hardly proof that it is NEEDED. :yay:
Exactly.
Are you for real???????????????????? Blade not only kills Vampires for a living, but he also kills humans for a living. You don't think a guy shooting and cutting up monsters that kill and drink peoples blood is something that needs an R rating?
Buffy The Vampire Slayer "killed vampires for a living" (heh) on tv for six successful years, and guess what? NO R rating. :yay:
They've even had Buffy having sex on tv, and still no 'R' rating. It can be done.

(I accidently skipped over you).

My argument still stands because if you were to bring those things to live action and place it on the big screen it would be an R. Plain and simple.

In your opinion.

Guess, you're not a frequent visitor to the Bat Boards.
Realism is one of the main arguments for everything over there.

The argument isn't weak at all...

Killing does not necessarily mean an R rating.

Exactly.

They've even had Buffy having sex on tv, and still no 'R' rating. It can be done.

Exactly.

Not so much a complete waste of time, but he was definately nuteured during the sixties. Notice that he didn't gain much attention until AFTER he got into the B&W comics that had no CCA rulings.

Question: Have you read any of the MAX stories? I'm sorry, but they are consistantly better than most of the all-age stories with Punisher in it.

Besides, there's now precedent for an R-rated Punisher movie. Three out of three have been R. Think about the controversy when Live Free or Die Hard was PG-13, or imagine what would happen if we got a PG-13 Rambo picture.

First of all; he wasnt "neutered during the sixties", because he wasnt even created until the early 70's...

Didnt get much attention? Are you kidding me? His appearances in regular Marvel comics were so popular, he guest starred EVERYWHERE, and even went on to headline THREE monthly comics...all under the comics code.

Yes, i've read the MAX book. So? Doesnt mean that THAT particular version is nesscessary. There's also a regular Punisher comic running alongside of it, doing quite well last time i checked.

Yeah and that's gonna messed them up like how Fox did AVP.

AVP sucked because of the piss-poor story and lack of continuity with the other films, not the lack of gore or PG-13 rating. And AVP:Requiem sucked harder BECAUSE of the ridiculous violence.

Lol. This is ridiculous. What you people have against violent movies?

IMO, you can't do PG-13 rated vigilante movie. The Punisher is R. Same goes for Elektra. Assassin's ain't for kids. Last time we got PG-13 Elektra movie it didn't exactly work. And last time I read Deathlok it was pretty intense and violent.

Of course you can do anything in PG-13, but can you do it faithfully? No you can't.

R rating is good. Accept it into your life. ;)

My point is it has proven successful in a popular medium WITHOUT excessive violence. What's YOUR point? " Duh...dese guys have big guns so me need to see lots of blood and gore!!!"?

If I'm watching a movie of a man walking around with big guns and shooting at people. I expect to see blood. Don't you?

Come on, dude. :whatever:

Iron Man was wasting people left and right under a pg-13 rating, to the tune of (currently) $450 million dollars.

Iron Man was just tossing, knocking people down, and blasting them away with those jet hands. He didn't put bullets in their heads. He didn't dismember them.

These characters have all been successful for YEARS in comics and even cartoons WITHOUT blood and gore. You have presented no valid reasoning whatsoever as to why they need to be R rated, except the fact that it is your own personal desire to see that for whatever reason.

And that's fine, but hardly proof that it is NEEDED. :yay:

Yes I did. You're just ignoring them.

Iron Man was just tossing, knocking people down, and blasting them away with those jet hands. He didn't put bullets in their heads. He didn't dismember them.
Well he did shoot those minirockets/bullets in the heads of some of the terrorists. I assume they died. In reality, their heads would have exploded but Iron Man don't need to be R so I understand that they just collapsed. Exploding heads would have been cool though.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer "killed vampires for a living"

Those vampires in Buffie just turned into dust. In the Blade comics when he kills vampires there's actually some blood and gore involved.

(heh) on tv for six successful years, and guess what? NO R rating. :yay:

Those sex scenes in Buffie didn't show jack. And would studios ever do those sex scenes in a comic book movie? Hell no. Why? It's because it'll get an R.

If I'm watching a movie of a man walking around with big guns and shooting at people. I expect to see blood. Don't you?

Yes I did. You're just ignoring them.

Do i expect to see blood when people are shot? Depends on the rating. But people getting shot doesnt mean blood NEEDS to be shown. I've seen plenty of movies with people getting shot, with no blood being shown. Look at RAC's example above concerning the terrorists that Iron Man shot in the head; not one ounce of blood shown, yet still effective.

Those vampires in Buffie just turned into dust. In the Blade comics when he kills vampires there's actually some blood and gore involved.

Those sex scenes in Buffie didn't show jack. And would studios ever do those sex scenes in a comic book movie? Hell no. Why? It's because it'll get an R.

It depends on how graphic the director wants to get. Again; look at Iron Man. A sex scene between Tony Stark and the news reporter...Did you have any problem figuring out what happened? Me neither. All under a PG-13 rating. :yay:

Lol. This is ridiculous. What you people have against violent movies?

IMO, you can't do PG-13 rated vigilante movie. The Punisher is R. Same goes for Elektra. Assassin's ain't for kids. Last time we got PG-13 Elektra movie it didn't exactly work. And last time I read Deathlok it was pretty intense and violent.

Of course you can do anything in PG-13, but can you do it faithfully? No you can't.

R rating is good. Accept it into your life. ;)

I have nothing against violence. I just find violence for the sake of shock value or to "look cool" not only distasteful, but bad. Utterly bad. Gratuitous use of any "mature" content (i.e. sex, violence, drug use) is anything but mature, and cheapens the story and characters.

The Punisher isn't just a guy who kills criminals. Frank Castle is a man who has lost everything and is lashing out in a way he feels is productive to society in removing people like those that ruined his life.

Elektra, while being an assassin, isn't completely heartless and can be portrayed in a manner that doesn't require any excessive violence or gruesome murdering, particularly when used in conjunction with Daredevil.

Deathlok is a man who is trying to regain his humanity, not a cold killer robot. He's a very deep character emotionally, and doesn't need an R rating to portray his character at all.

That being said, movies featuring each of those characters could have scenes of extreme violence or "adult themes" for various story-telling reasons, such as the idea that Castle may be suicidal in his campaign against criminals, or Deathlok's horror at what he had been made into, but my main argument is that it is not NEEDED to make these movies.

I have nothing against violence. I just find violence for the sake of shock value or to "look cool" not only distasteful, but bad. Utterly bad. Gratuitous use of any "mature" content (i.e. sex, violence, drug use) is anything but mature, and cheapens the story and characters.

The Punisher isn't just a guy who kills criminals. Frank Castle is a man who has lost everything and is lashing out in a way he feels is productive to society in removing people like those that ruined his life.

Elektra, while being an assassin, isn't completely heartless and can be portrayed in a manner that doesn't require any excessive violence or gruesome murdering, particularly when used in conjunction with Daredevil.

Deathlok is a man who is trying to regain his humanity, not a cold killer robot. He's a very deep character emotionally, and doesn't need an R rating to portray his character at all.

That being said, movies featuring each of those characters could have scenes of extreme violence or "adult themes" for various story-telling reasons, such as the idea that Castle may be suicidal in his campaign against criminals, or Deathlok's horror at what he had been made into, but my main argument is that it is not NEEDED to make these movies.

Same here. You could make an R rated Spider-Man movie if you wanted, but an R rating isnt NEEDED to make Spider-Man effective. Nor any OTHER character at Marvel, all of whom have flourished for decades without graphic storytelling....

You foolish old people! Can't you understand that we kids like everything violent these days! Violence = good!

(Don't take that too seriously. ;))

But you can't deny that R rated Elektra done by Miller wouldn't be freaking cool.

PG-13 is basically splitting the difference, when studios want to garner the biggest audience and have their cake and eat it too. They know most families and hardcore fans will go see a PG-13 flick because it caters to so many demographics. It can be light PG-13 or hard PG-13, so they can really skirt that.

You foolish old people! Can't you understand that we kids like everything violent these days! Violence = good!

(Don't take that too seriously. ;))

I'm 24? :huh:

But you can't deny that R rated Elektra done by Miller wouldn't be freaking cool.

I'm not a big fan of either, but seeing as how Frank created her, he would be the best person to bring her to film, regardless of the rating. I'm not kidding myself, I know Millar will make it rated R, but his intention should be to make a good movie, with the rating to come later.

Same here. You could make an R rated Spider-Man movie if you wanted, but an R rating isnt NEEDED to make Spider-Man effective. Nor any OTHER character at Marvel, all of whom have flourished for decades without graphic storytelling....

That's something of a strawman. Aside from the Death of Gwen Stacy (which they'll never use), and any story involving Venom, (Already done. Don't need to see it again in live action for another 15 years), Carnage, his fling with Black Cat, and the Clone Saga (none of which we absolutely have to see) there's nothing in the corpus of the solo exploits of Peter Parker that could be remotely R rated. (And even then, Peter's part in each of these wasn't the R part.)

There are many characters I will freely admit either don't need an R rated treatment, or else just don't work with them. (Captain Planet, Thor, Power Pack, any New Universe property, Squirrel Girl, and the New Warriors, to name just a few.) However, there are other characters that do need it. A surpriisingly large number, as a matter of fact.

Personally, we must all remember: Don't chase a rating, chase a story!

That's something of a strawman. Aside from the Death of Gwen Stacy (which they'll never use), and any story involving Venom, (Already done. Don't need to see it again in live action for another 15 years), Carnage, his fling with Black Cat, and the Clone Saga (none of which we absolutely have to see) there's nothing in the corpus of the solo exploits of Peter Parker that could be remotely R rated. (And even then, Peter's part in each of these wasn't the R part.)

Kraven's Last Hunt?

There are many characters I will freely admit either don't need an R rated treatment, or else just don't work with them. (Captain Planet, Thor, Power Pack, any New Universe property, Squirrel Girl, and the New Warriors, to name just a few.) However, there are other characters that do need it. A surpriisingly large number, as a matter of fact.

Personally, we must all remember: Don't chase a rating, chase a story!

You're right about that last part, but I still hold that no Marvel character "needs" an R rating.

Oh, and Kraven's Last Hunt may tread into R territory.

I bet it wouldn't be as cool as in R.

I bet it would be. The interpersonal relationships between the characters would be identical, and that's what matters there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"