Ms. Marvel Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel General Discussion Thread

Red Dagger looks cool.
Hope he won’t be another Kazi or Battlestar. Same for Kamran

We should all expect that since this a teenage show at its core, that most of us will probably find the teenage stuff corny, cheesy and stupid, but teenagers might like it. Already in the teaser, we see many of the usual teenage tropes we see in many movies and TV shows involving teens the last 20 years: the nerdy protagonist and her equally nerdy best friend who may or may not have a crush on her (it's a trope that usually happens if the protagonist and best friend are of opposite genders), the rival who is most likely a cheerleader who's dating the star QB of the football team, her having a crush on a boy in her class, parents who are loving but overly concerned about her, a teacher/principal who's concerned about her grades and her activities outside of school that is causing a decline in her grades and the usual "school dance" which is usually the big event in many of these teenaged based films and TV. Instead of the usual "protagonist has annoying younger sibling" which is prominent in many teenage movies and TV shows, Ms. Marvel has the "protagonist who has an older sibling" which will be different." What will be different is obviously the superhero stuff and that it connects to the greater MCU. I am hoping that the school dance is a minor story in her overall arc and her showing off her powers at the dance (which was seen in the teaser) changes that trope around a bit. And based on a cursory glimpse of Ms. Marvel's bio from the comics, the girl who is her rival on the show Zoe Zimmer, who was her rival in the comics and then later became her friend.

Apparently in Pakistan they'll have the whole series in theatres in chunks of 2 episodes because Disney+ hasn't launched there yet.

Cool, glad they are doing that and hope it’s received well over there.

Yeah, pretty much all those tropes were in the book.

What will be missing is a lot of what made that initial arc so amazing.

I don't care about the book. I am looking at it as a non comic book person, someone who has never read any superhero comics ever. My quickie summary of Ms. Marvel from a Google search is Pakistani girl with stretchy powers who is a teen. That 30 second spot shows briefly a giant fist. It might come from a gauntlet, but if that's where it comes from in the MCU then so be it.

I guess me not being a comic book fan is the reason there's not a single MCU Disney+ show that I hate. As I have said earlier, I don't have any preconceived notions and other than quick Google searches, I come into every show and movie with new characters cold turkey. I don't want to know anything coming in when it comes to new characters in the MCU, for both movies and TV other than the brief summaries.

Last edited:
I don't care about the book. I am looking at it as a non comic book person, someone who has never read any superhero comics ever. My quickie summary of Ms. Marvel from a Google search is Pakistani girl with stretchy powers who is a teen. That 30 second spot shows briefly a giant fist. It might come from a gauntlet, but if that's where it comes from in the MCU then so be it.

I guess me not being a comic book fan is the reason there's not a single MCU Disney+ show that I hate. As I have said earlier, I don't have any preconceived notions and other than quick Google searches, I come into every show and movie with new characters cold turkey. I don't want to know anything coming in when it comes to new characters in the MCU, for both movies and TV other than the brief summaries.

Look, my comics experience is pretty close to exclusively to X books, so my comic interest has no effect on why I have not liked most of the Disney+ stuff. Hell, I love Filoni's animated work, but I still side eye some of the stuff he is pushing in Mando.

There are key themes that are intrinsically tied to how her powers are portrayed in the comics. To write off that concern as the typical "comic book must be portrayed 100%" is not listening to the concerns. Most are not demanding pure faithfulness to the book. We will see how the show goes, but I am concerned one of the key themes of Kamala Khan is getting ignored. The key theme to why she is popular imo. Same theme as why there is always a new generation of X-men every decade.

I don't think this is about pure comic accuracy. It's about the story, themes, and character work, and what is missing when you make such a change. A lot of powers, especially ones like Kamala's, play heavily into story and character work.

Just consider the X-Men and how things change if you swapped the powers of Charles and Logan, or Beast and Iceman.

I don't think this is about pure comic accuracy. It's about the story, themes, and character work, and what is missing when you make such a change. A lot of powers, especially ones like Kamala's, play heavily into story and character work.

Just consider the X-Men and how things change if you swapped the powers of Charles and Logan, or Beast and Iceman.

All I know of the X-Men came from the animated series, so I expect the live action counterparts to be like what they were from the animated series. That's different. To me, there's no other previous medium to which I know Kamala from (all of my video game playing has largely been sports games and the only fighting games I have are the first three Mortal Kombat games, all of the WWF/WWE games and the Street Fighter games) so I don't have any preconceived notions about her powers going forward other than a cursory glance. If she gets her powers via gauntlets, then so be it. If there's a superhero I know from animation or TV previously that is being rebooted, I expect that superhero have the same set of powers. If it's someone who's new, I expect that their powers look cool when I am watching them. That is where I am coming from.

Last edited:
Kevin Feige Explains the Changes To Ms. Marvel's Powers

Looks like I was right, she was changed because of brand synergy. I like how he acknowledges that she was an Inhuman because of the push to make the Inhumans the new X-men at the time, but fails to see that he is doing a similar thing. And the power change is more than just the big hands, there are a whole range of imagery using her powers that we are not going to get. Gangly legs > stepping disks. I understand why Feige is a coward for him avoiding the bit about her wanting to be a white girl, but that is a huge loss to her origin.

Kevin Feige Explains the Changes To Ms. Marvel's Powers

Looks like I was right, she was changed because of brand synergy. I like how he acknowledges that she was an Inhuman because of the push to make the Inhumans the new X-men at the time, but fails to see that he is doing a similar thing. And the power change is more than just the big hands, there are a whole range of imagery using her powers that we are not going to get. Gangly legs > stepping disks. I understand why Feige is a coward for him avoiding the bit about her wanting to be a white girl, but that is a huge loss to her origin.

Why is he a coward for avoiding that question?

Why is he a coward for avoiding that question?

I mean ignoring the awkwardness of showing the effects of only having white heroes to look up to as a bit of a denunciation of the MCU for a very long time, it is a story beat that has to walk a very fine line. Not shocked he would rather skip that beat than to possibly come off as racist.

I mean ignoring the awkwardness of showing the effects of only having white heroes to look up to as a bit of a denunciation of the MCU for a very long time, it is a story beat that has to walk a very fine line. Not shocked he would rather skip that beat than to possibly come off as racist.

Oh that was one of my main criticisms of the MCU after Thor: The Dark World. However, I don't think Carol is the only hero she looks up to. I think she looks up to all of the Avengers, she just believes Carol is her favorite. of them all I don't think she just loves Carol and hates the rest of the Avengers, not based on the teaser anyways when she was wearing an Avengers T-Shirt rather than a Carol T-Shirt. I think she would be as star struck in meeting Sam or Rhodey as she would with Carol.

I don't think Carol is the only hero she looks up to. I think she looks up to all of the Avengers, she just believes Carol is her favorite. of them all I don't think she just loves Carol and hates the rest of the Avengers, not based on the teaser anyways when she was wearing an Avengers T-Shirt rather than a Carol T-Shirt. I think she would be as star struck in meeting Sam or Rhodey as she would with Carol.

It would be weird since there are probably just five minutes footage of Carol in Endgame out there. :ebr: The public seems not to know about her 90s adventure, so there is nothing much to cheer about.

Maybe something happened between the five year time jump, but I need an explanation from this show where the hype for Carol comes from.

Oh that was one of my main criticisms of the MCU after Thor: The Dark World. However, I don't think Carol is the only hero she looks up to. I think she looks up to all of the Avengers, she just believes Carol is her favorite. of them all I don't think she just loves Carol and hates the rest of the Avengers, not based on the teaser anyways when she was wearing an Avengers T-Shirt rather than a Carol T-Shirt. I think she would be as star struck in meeting Sam or Rhodey as she would with Carol.

The thing is, the story beat I am talking about is how her powers, when she first got them, allowed her to physically look like Carol. The story beat of a brown girl physically changing into a white girl is problematic to portray well. I am a bit too tired at the moment to try to dig up the key panel, but it was a very emotional story.

Of course Kamala was a big fan of all the superheros. But Carol was the one she subconsciously wanted to be. And while the bits in her origin where she was talking about the issues with the old Warbird costume is fine not being there, I will miss her little personal journey.

I do hope she has some joke about a Sam/Bucky fanfic, if just to piss off an actor.

It would be weird since there are probably just five minutes footage of Carol in Endgame out there. :ebr: The public seems not to know about her 90s adventure, so there is nothing much to cheer about.

Maybe something happened between the five year time jump, but I need an explanation from this show where the hype for Carol comes from.

I mean, all of SHIELD's files did get online. I'm sure someone eventually found out about the 90's incident.

Also, I'm going to be slightly pissed if Carol wasn't around Earth for a little bit after the opening of Endgame. It makes no goddamn sense for her not to be here for Maria...

I mean, all of SHIELD's files did get online. I'm sure someone eventually found out about the 90's incident.

Also, I'm going to be slightly pissed if Carol wasn't around Earth for a little bit after the opening of Endgame. It makes no goddamn sense for her not to be here for Maria...

Carol probably was, but Monica didn't know because she was blipped. That's how I think they will resolve that story from WandaVision.

As long as there's a slight difference between her powers and Carol's powers, I am all for it. I don't want her to be Captain Marvel Jr. with the exact same powers as Carol. Same with Monica. I don't want Monica to have the same offensive powers as Carol either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"