Ms. Marvel Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MCU Limited Series on Disney+' started by terry78, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Pennywise Registered

2. Pennywise Registered

3. Kev4000 Registered

I dont know how to feel about this.
    Her music in What If was kind of forgetable and uninspired for me, giving me early 00s vibes.
    I wished for a young composer from a similair culture background.

4. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Does anyone still use "Ms" these days? Especially teenagers?

5. KManX89 Registered

Not gonna lie, I'm feeling less than enthused by everything I've been hearing from production troubles up through her power changes (though I believe those are budgetary more than anything). Oh, and now's probably not the time to imitate The Flash with all the Ezra Miller shenanigans:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then again, The Eternals did rip off Superman with Ikaris, so they're not exactly a beacon of originality right now.

6. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Yes, in work and meetings.

Teenagers from where I live, call their professor - ms. or mister.

7. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

8. Dr. Evil Registered

Iceman and Albright like this.
  9. Dr. Evil Registered

10. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Ha, least they are acknowledging it ahead of time. No pretending otherwise lol.

11. Pennywise Registered

12. Holy Slapper Registered

She's way too adorable.

#438 Holy Slapper, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  13. Dr. Evil Registered

What was the last teenage related show or movie that wasn't cheesy anyways with the teen tropes? I went back to watch many of teen movies released between 1998-2009 and every single one of them have those cheesy teen tropes. Not all of them have every single one of them, but they all have a lot of them. I also watched two seasons of "Never Have I Ever" on Netflix and many of those same cheesy teen tropes were all there. Many of my favorite teenage movies have those tropes by the dozen and all were cheesy and corny as hell and yet somehow, I still enjoyed those movies. The first American Pie movie was in essence a very cheesy and corny movie with many of the teenage tropes in tact. The three MCU Spider-Man movies had those cheesy tropes as well, not the extent of other teen movies and TV, but they were still there. In the MCU Spider-Man movies, especially in Homecoming, you had the nerdy protagonist in Peter Parker, with his equally nerdy best friend in Ned Leeds (teen trope #1), Peter has a crush on a classmate named Michelle Jones (teen trope #2), he has an adult in his life who is loving but worried about his actions (teen trope #3) although instead of a concerned parent, it's a concerned Aunt May. She becomes less concerned in FFH and NWH, but still has some concerns even after she knows he's Spider-Man. There's a teacher who is concerned about Peter's grades (teen trope #4), he has a rival in school who picks on him (teen trope #5) but instead of a jock as it usually is, it's another nerdy character. And then Homecoming has a school dance (teen trope #6). The only trope that was missing was the fact that Peter didn't have an annoying younger sibling or an overbearing "I am better than you at everything" older sibling. We saw less of the tropes in FFH and NWH, but they were heavy in Homecoming.

Ms. Marvel will probably hit on 6 of those tropes as I suspect that Kamala's older brother is more of a "I love you sis but I am concerned about what you are doing outside of school" rather than "I am better than you at everything." Hell, the trailer has six of those tropes present all over the trailer. You got the nerdy protagonist in Kamala and her equally nerdy best friend in Bruno. She has a crush on a classmate, a rival in school in Zoe Zimmer who's probably a cheerleader and dating the star QB, parents who are loving but concerned about Kamala, a teacher concerned about her grades and of course.....a school dance. Hopefully we see less and less of these tropes as we move onto Kamala's story.

14. Holy Slapper Registered

Probably all of those tropes are attached to US schools though. If someone actually wanted to avoid them, they'd set the show/movie in a European school. No jocks because schools don't have sports teams, no school bands or whatever, nobody getting locked in a locker because there's no lockers.

15. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

16. Sithborg Registered

Looks fun, but her powers still makes me sad.

Snow Queen, Bren and DarthSkywalker like this.
  17. Holy Slapper Registered

I love that they kept the "if you save one life, you save the whole world" part from the comic. I've seen the comic book page when I think it's the first time she "embiggens" when she thinks about her father saying that line from the Quran.

18. Dr. Evil Registered

Ms. Marvel co-creator Sana Amanat on bringing Kamala Khan from page to screen | EW.com

19. Dr. Evil Registered

20. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

21. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

22. Sithborg Registered

Considering the trailer, I am willing to believe it is different from standard MCU fare.

23. NotNickFury Registered

I challenge anyone reviewing or tweeting about something MCU-related to review it without using the word "fun." Like, try "enjoyable" or "entertaining" for once.

24. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<