Ms. Marvel Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel General Discussion Thread

I dont know how to feel about this.
Her music in What If was kind of forgetable and uninspired for me, giving me early 00s vibes.
I wished for a young composer from a similair culture background.

Does anyone still use "Ms" these days? Especially teenagers?

Not gonna lie, I'm feeling less than enthused by everything I've been hearing from production troubles up through her power changes (though I believe those are budgetary more than anything). Oh, and now's probably not the time to imitate The Flash with all the Ezra Miller shenanigans:

FSqGSuJX0AAu-td

Then again, The Eternals did rip off Superman with Ikaris, so they're not exactly a beacon of originality right now.

Ms. Marvel: Iman Vellani says Disney plus Show Is 'Cheesy' for a Good Reason (streamingdigitally.com)

That's not surprising because any teen based TV shows and movies that have many of the usual tropes we see from the teen genre are cheesy. I recently rewatched the first 2 American Pie movies, and the teenage tropes in that film are quite prominent and super cheesy. Yet at the same time, I loved the first two American Pie movies.
Ha, least they are acknowledging it ahead of time. No pretending otherwise lol.

Ha, least they are acknowledging it ahead of time. No pretending otherwise lol.

What was the last teenage related show or movie that wasn't cheesy anyways with the teen tropes? I went back to watch many of teen movies released between 1998-2009 and every single one of them have those cheesy teen tropes. Not all of them have every single one of them, but they all have a lot of them. I also watched two seasons of "Never Have I Ever" on Netflix and many of those same cheesy teen tropes were all there. Many of my favorite teenage movies have those tropes by the dozen and all were cheesy and corny as hell and yet somehow, I still enjoyed those movies. The first American Pie movie was in essence a very cheesy and corny movie with many of the teenage tropes in tact. The three MCU Spider-Man movies had those cheesy tropes as well, not the extent of other teen movies and TV, but they were still there. In the MCU Spider-Man movies, especially in Homecoming, you had the nerdy protagonist in Peter Parker, with his equally nerdy best friend in Ned Leeds (teen trope #1), Peter has a crush on a classmate named Michelle Jones (teen trope #2), he has an adult in his life who is loving but worried about his actions (teen trope #3) although instead of a concerned parent, it's a concerned Aunt May. She becomes less concerned in FFH and NWH, but still has some concerns even after she knows he's Spider-Man. There's a teacher who is concerned about Peter's grades (teen trope #4), he has a rival in school who picks on him (teen trope #5) but instead of a jock as it usually is, it's another nerdy character. And then Homecoming has a school dance (teen trope #6). The only trope that was missing was the fact that Peter didn't have an annoying younger sibling or an overbearing "I am better than you at everything" older sibling. We saw less of the tropes in FFH and NWH, but they were heavy in Homecoming.

Ms. Marvel will probably hit on 6 of those tropes as I suspect that Kamala's older brother is more of a "I love you sis but I am concerned about what you are doing outside of school" rather than "I am better than you at everything." Hell, the trailer has six of those tropes present all over the trailer. You got the nerdy protagonist in Kamala and her equally nerdy best friend in Bruno. She has a crush on a classmate, a rival in school in Zoe Zimmer who's probably a cheerleader and dating the star QB, parents who are loving but concerned about Kamala, a teacher concerned about her grades and of course.....a school dance. Hopefully we see less and less of these tropes as we move onto Kamala's story.

What was the last teenage related show or movie that wasn't cheesy anyways with the teen tropes? I went back to watch many of teen movies released between 1998-2009 and every single one of them have those cheesy teen tropes. Not all of them have every single one of them, but they all have a lot of them. I also watched two seasons of "Never Have I Ever" on Netflix and many of those same cheesy teen tropes were all there. Many of my favorite teenage movies have those tropes by the dozen and all were cheesy and corny as hell and yet somehow, I still enjoyed those movies. The first American Pie movie was in essence a very cheesy and corny movie with many of the teenage tropes in tact. The three MCU Spider-Man movies had those cheesy tropes as well, not the extent of other teen movies and TV, but they were still there. In the MCU Spider-Man movies, especially in Homecoming, you had the nerdy protagonist in Peter Parker, with his equally nerdy best friend in Ned Leeds (teen trope #1), Peter has a crush on a classmate named Michelle Jones (teen trope #2), he has an adult in his life who is loving but worried about his actions (teen trope #3) although instead of a concerned parent, it's a concerned Aunt May. She becomes less concerned in FFH and NWH, but still has some concerns even after she knows he's Spider-Man. There's a teacher who is concerned about Peter's grades (teen trope #4), he has a rival in school who picks on him (teen trope #5) but instead of a jock as it usually is, it's another nerdy character. And then Homecoming has a school dance (teen trope #6). The only trope that was missing was the fact that Peter didn't have an annoying younger sibling or an overbearing "I am better than you at everything" older sibling. We saw less of the tropes in FFH and NWH, but they were heavy in Homecoming.

Ms. Marvel will probably hit on 6 of those tropes as I suspect that Kamala's older brother is more of a "I love you sis but I am concerned about what you are doing outside of school" rather than "I am better than you at everything." Hell, the trailer has six of those tropes present all over the trailer. You got the nerdy protagonist in Kamala and her equally nerdy best friend in Bruno. She has a crush on a classmate, a rival in school in Zoe Zimmer who's probably a cheerleader and dating the star QB, parents who are loving but concerned about Kamala, a teacher concerned about her grades and of course.....a school dance. Hopefully we see less and less of these tropes as we move onto Kamala's story.

Probably all of those tropes are attached to US schools though. If someone actually wanted to avoid them, they'd set the show/movie in a European school. No jocks because schools don't have sports teams, no school bands or whatever, nobody getting locked in a locker because there's no lockers.

I love that they kept the "if you save one life, you save the whole world" part from the comic. I've seen the comic book page when I think it's the first time she "embiggens" when she thinks about her father saying that line from the Quran.

Ms. Marvel co-creator Sana Amanat on bringing Kamala Khan from page to screen | EW.com

Obviously, so much of the show is an adaptation, and we thought it was important to make sure that her powers are linking to larger stories in the Marvel universe. We wanted to make sure there is a little bit more story to tell after this series. Obviously, she goes into The Marvels. The powers do look different, which is very controversial. I know people are like, "How dare you change the powers!" I know people are upset about it, but as someone who's probably one of the closest people to this character from the inception, and having spoken to Willow about this as well, I think Willow and I have always felt that this made sense. This was the right move because there are bigger stories to tell.

It's really fun to give Kamala different kinds of powers that feel big in scope and cinematic in a different way. We can do a lot of fun things with her. I don't want to spoil too much about how she uses her powers, but they're fun and bouncy. At the same point, the essence of what the powers are in the comics is there, both from a metaphorical standpoint and from a visual standpoint. We're doing the embiggened fist. We're doing the elements that make her feel and look kind of crazy, but also really cool. I think it's going to be familiar to people, but at the same time, different in a fresh and unique way.

Considering the trailer, I am willing to believe it is different from standard MCU fare.

I challenge anyone reviewing or tweeting about something MCU-related to review it without using the word "fun." Like, try "enjoyable" or "entertaining" for once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"