She-Hulk Marvel Studios' She-Hulk General Discussion Thread

Yeah, the vfx artists are almost certainly gonna be too busy working on all the shots we didn't see to spend their time overhauling her appearance. Best to just hope that she looks better in future appearances after this show.
Right. This is the trailer, so it's probably the best shots they have. Yikes.

I'm no CGI expert, but I imagine they already had loads of assets for Hulk ready to go from Endgame, while She-Hulk had to be made from the ground up for this show. So that might be why there's a disparity between the two?

I understand this and it does make sense. But for some reason for me it feels even more awkward that Hulk looks much better than her, because it kinda looks like the main character was an afterthought. That there wasn't the same amount of effort for her. And that's awkward.

No he's right. She-Hulk is part of the the umbrella rights associated with Hulk. From everything I've read up on it over the years, the contracts for these characters have a list of associated characters that can or cannot be used by the studios. If you look up the leaked Sony contracts for Spider-Man, there are a slew of Spider related characters that Sony has exclusive rights to, even characters that have little to no connection to Peter.

Now that's solely film related. TV, Marvel can do whatever they want. Just like they were planning on Hulk show 10 years ago without any involvement from Universal.

Universal has distribution rights on Hulk. That means that if Marvel wants to make a Hulk-related project then Universal will decide how and when it will be released. If Universal decided in 2008 that the Incredible Hulk was going to be released straight on DVD, or premiere on NBC, or chop it to pieces and release it as TV series, then Marvel would be unable to do anything about it.

That obviously isn't the case with She-Hulk. Marvel decided to make a limited series and release it on Disney+ and Universal can do nothing about it. Because Universal has no rights on She-Hulk whatsoever. Universal can't tell to Marvel/Disney what to do with She-Hulk anymore than they can tell them what to do with Blade or Miss Marvel. Why is it so hard to comprehend?

It's funny how much better Orphan Black did one actress playing multiple rolls within the same frame, yet D+ can't make the same actress look a little bigger and green - decent looking.

Rendering a convincing humanoid character at the level they are aiming for this show is a thousand times more difficult than convincingly splicing footage together from different sources.

It seems like Disney has really invested interest in face mapping naturalistic effects, but it just hasn't worked out well. This trailer gives me a lot of vibes of Luke Skywalker from the Mandalorian. I think I would have personally preferred it if they had done makeup for the face shots and CGI'd the body.

That being said.. I'm sure it'll get much more smooth from here, and everything else about the trailer, I liked. I love her style and the dating stuff and the social life of a middle aged successful woman material. It was all a lot of fun, and I could see a lot of potential.

It seems like Disney has really invested interest in face mapping naturalistic effects, but it just hasn't worked out well. This trailer gives me a lot of vibes of Luke Skywalker from the Mandalorian. I think I would have personally preferred it if they had done makeup for the face shots and CGI'd the body.

That being said.. I'm sure it'll get much more smooth from here, and everything else about the trailer, I liked. I love her style and the dating stuff and the social life of a middle aged successful woman material. It was all a lot of fun, and I could see a lot of potential.

They definitely should've done makeup for Tatiana's face shots. Gamora looks more realistic because it's just Zoe Saldana in green paint. They could easily have done that for Tatiana and given her a wig and it would've looked exactly the same but just not so fake and uncanny valley. It's not like she even needs prosthetics or any real enhancements to her face because it's essentially her there.

Universal has distribution rights on Hulk. That means that if Marvel wants to make a Hulk-related project then Universal will decide how and when it will be released. If Universal decided in 2008 that the Incredible Hulk was going to be released straight on DVD, or premiere on NBC, or chop it to pieces and release it as TV series, then Marvel would be unable to do anything about it.

That obviously isn't the case with She-Hulk. Marvel decided to make a limited series and release it on Disney+ and Universal can do nothing about it. Because Universal has no rights on She-Hulk whatsoever. Universal can't tell to Marvel/Disney what to do with She-Hulk anymore than they can tell them what to do with Blade or Miss Marvel. Why is it so hard to comprehend?

Universal has distribution rights for feature films not television. Again as I pointed out, Marvel was planning on making a Hulk aka Bruce Banner TV show 10 years ago and it was going to be on ABC. Universal had zero involvement distribution wise, because they don't have the rights for television.

It's the same thing with Sony and Spider-Man. Sony does not have television rights to the character, they gave that up back in 2010/2011 (as well as merchandise revenue), when they renegotiated their contract with Marvel.

Universal has distribution rights for feature films not television. Again as I pointed out, Marvel was planning on making a Hulk aka Bruce Banner TV show 10 years ago and it was going to be on ABC. Universal had zero involvement distribution wise, because they don't have the rights for television.

There are no different rights for films and television, that's what you don't understand. If Disney films a Hulk project then it's up to Universal to decide whether it will be released as a theatrical film, a TV series, or sell it to a streaming service. Disney might want to release it theatrically but if Universal disagrees then there is nothing they can do about it. This isn't a Spiderman case where Sony has the rights for theatrical films but Marvel has the rights for TV projects.

Ask yourself this: Feige announced a She-Hulk series back in 2019. These three years, from announcement to release, has there been any news about any kind of involvement by Universal?
No. Because they have no rights, distribution or otherwise, on the character. This is Marvel's rodeo and they can do whatever they want.

There are no different rights for films and television, that's what you don't understand. If Disney films a Hulk project then it's up to Universal to decide whether it will be released as a theatrical film, a TV series, or sell it to a streaming service. Disney might want to release it theatrically but if Universal disagrees then there is nothing they can do about it. This isn't a Spiderman case where Sony has the rights for theatrical films but Marvel has the rights for TV projects.
Dude yes it is lol. I provided you explanation with examples on how Sony's contracts are, which readily available online. These studios operate more or less the same with their contracts. If you disagree, then you need to provide citations, cause I'm not gonna go around and around with you on this.

Ask yourself this: Feige announced a She-Hulk series back in 2019. These three years, from announcement to release, has there been any news about any kind of involvement by Universal?
No. Because they have no rights, distribution or otherwise, on the character. This is Marvel's rodeo and they can do whatever they want.
Yea cuz its for TV not film. These companies do not write up contracts for ever single character. They are lumped together. Hulk and Hulk related characters, Spider-Man and Spider-Man related villains, etc... Again look up the Spider-Man contracts, people like Spider-Woman and Black Cat are lumped in with him. It's the same with She-Hulk.

Last edited:
Ugh. Olivia Wilde is supposedly directing the Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman movie for Sony. But they obviously can't user her Hydra origin so now it's just some random "criminal organization".
Just…not ideal. :csad:

Film and TV rights are very different. Venom 1988 is correct in his evaluation of the rights.

I was really looking forward to this. Love Orphan Black and love the She-Hulk comics.

The CG for She-Hulk is awful. What a misfire. They should postpone the release and fix it.

Agreed with everyone here saying the CGI looks bad. It's not just this though, it was the same in Moon Knight. And even in Spider-Man No Way Home the Lizard didn't look great... so I don't think you can just use the excuse for it being a tv show. Hulk in the first Avengers movie looks better than this. Seems like Disney is getting lazy.

I really don't like the naivety on how strained these CGI companies are nowadays. Artists working on ridiculous deadlines with burnout in between, crap pay and lousy benefits. Some of you need to get off your high horse because the demand and workload for flawless CGI in these shows is at a all time high. Theres alot of people in this industry (I know of personally) who are under alot of pressure and stress. im not saying average CGI needs to be the standard but the lack of empathy for CGI artists in general is quite disturbing.

CGI looks very questionable, and her height seems to be fluctuating all over the place. But, I'll give it a fair shot cause i like Tatiana. But yiggity yikes

It's not just big budget Disney projects with bad CGI, I've noticed it in a few non Disney projects as well, including the Adam Project on Netflix. So the whole blame shouldn't go to Disney.

I think maybe we should keep this in mind the next time we say “why hasn’t Disney shown us anything yet!!!!” Like, people are freaking out about the cgi which I’m sure will be fixed by the time it comes out. Unfortunately it has hurt the hype for introducing Jen. Hopefully everything turns around. I’m sure it’s a great series and Tatiana will be amazing

I really don't like the naivety on how strained these CGI companies are nowadays. Artists working on ridiculous deadlines with burnout in between, crap pay and lousy benefits. Some of you need to get off your high horse because the demand and workload for flawless CGI in these shows is at a all time high. Theres alot of people in this industry (I know of personally) who are under alot of pressure and stress. im not saying average CGI needs to be the standard but the lack of empathy for CGI artists in general is quite disturbing.

Nobody is blaming the artists, we're blaming Disney for rushing everything. If the CG looks like crap, I'm going to say it looks like crap. I'm not giving this a pass just because Disney isn't giving artists enough time to work on it. Save your anger for the Mouse.

I honestly don't mind the vfX that much, though if it was a feature film, the trailer would have looked like it had more budget even with dodgy vfX (like Shang-Chi).

My issue for me is the cinematography and how SyFy it looks. It definitely looks like low budget, straight to DVD content.

It should be given that there's two Hulks. Imagine if Iron Woman got a series and Tony Stark is in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"