Secret Invasion Marvel Studios' Secret Invasion General Discussion Thread

Oof. Well at least this means if they never reference the show, no one will care.

To be fair, Super Skrulls are supposed to be threat levels for an entire team. Similar to Amazo. So that doesn't bother. What bothers me more is giving that power level to a hero. Villains make sense cause you need someone who dwarfs the power of your hero. But when a hero has this kind of power, it's hard to write threats for them. So, I think they're gonna have to nerf her somehow. Whether it be make them temporary without the machine reupping her power or something

I don't think anyone should have that amount of power personally. Carol Danvers was already overpowered able to get Thanos on his knees and tank his hits. Ga'ia now dwarfs even her in terms of power level. Beyond Galactus or a Celestial. There is no threat what so ever to her

At least Kl'rt wasn't too overpowered just having the powers of one team. And if we ever get him now he will be totally redundant.

Said this in another thread, but about how long a certain character has been a Skrull
Rhodey being a skrull since Civil War will piss off a lot of fans since he wasn't there when Tony died. But i think it's a ballsy move, in a good way. One of the main critiques I and others have for the MCU is it playing things too safe. Honestly like the source material

Rhodey not being there adds some extra tragedy without things being in grimdark mode. And for a story that should have big implications like Secret Invasion, Rhodey being a skrull for that long is at least something

Of all the bad things this show did, I think the worst was what they did to Fury. He was so unlike what Fury should be. Trying to give him some sympathetic character arc was a big misstep. And
him having a secret skrull wife since the 90s?
So dumb.

Said this in another thread, but about how long a certain character has been a Skrull
Rhodey being a skrull since Civil War will piss off a lot of fans since he wasn't there when Tony died. But i think it's a ballsy move, in a good way. One of the main critiques I and others have for the MCU is it playing things too safe. Honestly like the source material

Rhodey not being there adds some extra tragedy without things being in grimdark mode. And for a story that should have big implications like Secret Invasion, Rhodey being a skrull for that long is at least something
Did they give us an actual timeline on this? I feel like they left it vague because they didn't think through when it actually would have happened.

I am sure this will get clarified. Best guess during Armor Wars

Ah, good call. I forgot that show was even a thing that was happening.

Sheeez.

I don't even look at RT ratings for TV shows but those are atrocious, especially if we value RT ratings for TV shows as much as RT ratings for films.

I don't really have an opinion about the show. I liked the look of the show. But I don't care about the characters (which I can say to most MCU shows). So I guess its another Mcu series completed its run, another should have been better a 2 hour sitting commitment.

I tend to give Marvel some slacks but the criticisms are well deserved. I hope this is a wake up call and they can’t take their audience for granted.

What a dogsh*t this show was (and this comes from an MCU lover).

Cheap CGI, weak story and they somehow managed to make Samuel L Jackson boring. She-Hulk was dogwater too, but at least it had some fun moments and energy. Secret Invasion was just DULL and boring.

And don't even get me started on this atrocity:

ecbb81c10176c3ce2e79e2856d03df52.jpg

I think these miniseries are diluting the quality of the MCU. Imo this show shows it the strongest with how they tried to get us the viewer to have a revelation that certain characters had been replaced as Skrulls for a significant amount of time making it impactful but ultimately it wasn’t because they only had a limited amount of actual characters they could use. Now going forward we’re left to pick up the pieces..

You know, in retrospect, it really sucks that they completely nullified Nick Fury's role in Spider-man FFH all for the sake of setting up a Disney+ series that ended up not being very good. Would've been better if they'd just had the real Nick Fury in FFH and not bothered with Secret Invasion.

Skrulls were never a particularly good fit for the MCU anyway. They work in the comics because characters have endless amounts of screentime to spare. Whereas with the MCU we get a few hours total with each character. People were never gonna be happy about retconning any of those precious few hours into being a skrull all along.

Last edited:
Watched the first episode and thought it had a promising set up. Missed the remaining episodes because I was out of the country for 3 weeks and haven’t had a chance to watch the rest.

But…I’ve heard terrible things about the show and more so the finale. Is it really that bad? Should I just skip it?

Watched the first episode and thought it had a promising set up. Missed the remaining episodes because I was out of the country for 3 weeks and haven’t had a chance to watch the rest.

But…I’ve heard terrible things about the show and more so the finale. Is it really that bad? Should I just skip it?
"Its all connected" and if you skip pass the credits not that big a time burden to finish it. While you may be disappointed in the choices made it is not like you will fall asleep mid punch during the finale. And judging from the finale of Wandavision something down the line might come of that a casual wouldn't understand when that later movie comes out.

It's not bad, is just... awful. There are some good dialogues and the acting is above average for something like this, but the whole thing is probably the most skippable of all Marvel things. Lots of truly bad decisions that make me question the MCU as it is right now.

I really did not like this show. I cant help but think that the biggest issue with it was that it was a Nick Fury solo series. The concept of this should have been bigger and been adapted as a movie but if it had to be a tv show, then it needed more characters. The reasoning for why the Avengers werent brought it just didnt work for me. The finale was boring and when it ended I couldnt help but think what was the point?

Man, I thought this looked good from the trailers but this was such a disappointment. Olivia Colman was the highlight, everyone else struggled with the material. The story was dull, the twists were meh, the action was pretty bad especially the big fight at the end. And I really don’t care for this retroactive retconning/revisioning/whatever you want to call it of the MCU’s history where Skrulls have been such a big part of it but none of the heroes have ever come across them. Also, I think this story made Fury really unlikeable. The way he used and discarded the Skrulls is fairly despicable. He doesn’t even seem remotely remorseful even though he claims he came back because of Gravik who also pretty much sucked. They tried to give him some dimension but he really just comes across psychotic for the most part.

The finale was also just extremely stupid.
There was no reason to give Gravik the real harvest. He and Gi’ah had the same power set, they could’ve fought without making Gravik even more powerful and risking him winning. The standoff with SkrullRhodey was also so dumb like just ****ing shoot him in the arm, you’ll prove your point but no we need the president to make his choice based on our claims alone because yeah we got time.

The president also kinda pissed me off because he was a nothing character and then he suddenly turned into a hateful, fear mongering person just to set up whatever the next thing they have planned.

The Rhodey twist I’ll wait to see how they handle it before I make a judgement on it. We lose a lots of good stuff with him but it would be genuinely tragic if he actually has been under since Civil War. Watching him find out that Tony is dead and come to terms with the world he’s woken up in in Armor Wars would make for some good material. If they decide he’s been a skrull just for the past couple of years while he was off screen then it’s like… what was the point even.
I’m curious about the relation of this story to Fury’s next appearance in the Marvels. If that’s canonically after this and the events of this aren’t even referenced in that, then… again what was the point of all this? I’m just going to have to stop watching these D+ shows because apart from WandaVision and She-Hulk, I haven’t really loved any of them. Hell I watched FATW, Moon Knight, and parts of this at 1.65 speed :o.

I think I'd like this better if I could have binged it. The time in-between disrupts the flow. Some shows aren't as good spread out.
I think that might helped the show for me too.

Man, I thought this looked good from the trailers but this was such a disappointment. Olivia Colman was the highlight, everyone else struggled with the material. The story was dull, the twists were meh, the action was pretty bad especially the big fight at the end. And I really don’t care for this retroactive retconning/revisioning/whatever you want to call it of the MCU’s history where Skrulls have been such a big part of it but none of the heroes have ever come across them. Also, I think this story made Fury really unlikeable. The way he used and discarded the Skrulls is fairly despicable. He doesn’t even seem remotely remorseful even though he claims he came back because of Gravik who also pretty much sucked. They tried to give him some dimension but he really just comes across psychotic for the most part.

The finale was also just extremely stupid.
There was no reason to give Gravik the real harvest. He and Gi’ah had the same power set, they could’ve fought without making Gravik even more powerful and risking him winning. The standoff with SkrullRhodey was also so dumb like just ****ing shoot him in the arm, you’ll prove your point but no we need the president to make his choice based on our claims alone because yeah we got time.

The president also kinda pissed me off because he was a nothing character and then he suddenly turned into a hateful, fear mongering person just to set up whatever the next thing they have planned.

The Rhodey twist I’ll wait to see how they handle it before I make a judgement on it. We lose a lots of good stuff with him but it would be genuinely tragic if he actually has been under since Civil War. Watching him find out that Tony is dead and come to terms with the world he’s woken up in in Armor Wars would make for some good material. If they decide he’s been a skrull just for the past couple of years while he was off screen then it’s like… what was the point even.
I’m curious about the relation of this story to Fury’s next appearance in the Marvels. If that’s canonically after this and the events of this aren’t even referenced in that, then… again what was the point of all this? I’m just going to have to stop watching these D+ shows because apart from WandaVision and She-Hulk, I haven’t really loved any of them. Hell I watched FATW, Moon Knight, and parts of this at 1.65 speed :o.

I have made this point several times. They were both already Super Skrulls. Why give Gravik the power set of the whole of the Avengers as well as some powerful villains. Had he defeated G’aih he would have been unstoppable. It doesn’t make sense when they both already had the same powers anyway.

What will Marvel do with this show in the future? Will they reference it at all in the movies and any of the events that transpired here? Or will they ignore it and just stick it in the same category as either Agents of SHIELD or Inhumans? I'm guessing they will retcon things here rather than sticking to their plan, or at least I hope they will.

What will Marvel do with this show in the future? Will they reference it at all in the movies and any of the events that transpired here? Or will they ignore it and just stick it in the same category as either Agents of SHIELD or Inhumans? I'm guessing they will retcon things here rather than sticking to their plan, or at least I hope they will.
I think when the time comes for Rogue to suck the powers it will be politically objectionable to do that to Brie Larson and seen as ending her run in a comatose state instead of going out a winner into the vastness of space heroism. They now have another option

I hate the Rhodey twist because it takes away from his arc in Infinity War and Endgame. He didn't have much to do in those movies but he still worked as a supporting character and seeing him mourn Tony made Tony's death more moving. Now that I know its a Skrull pretending to mourn him, it kind of ruins it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"