Marvel's Black & Minority Characters: Roundtable Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asians are martial artists, blacks are streetwise and native americans are magical. Those are the rules.

Latinos all have the power of invisibility.

I'm not sure.....but wasn't there a series with a Latin martial artist as part of the team in the 70's in the Marvel large size b/w mag they had that starred Shang Chi?

The White TIgers? They're dead....and the current one is an undead hand ninja now. :(

I'm not sure.....but wasn't there a series with a Latin martial artist as part of the team in the 70's in the Marvel large size b/w mag they had that starred Shang Chi?

You're talking about White Tiger. They had to kill him off for breaking the rules...:cmad:

they eventually replaced him with his niece, though :cwink:

The White TIgers? They're dead....and the current one is an undead hand ninja now. :(

The group was the Sons of the Tiger. White Tiger got his powers from their discarded amulets...

He got shot by the cops after being falsely accused of murder and trying to steal a tv.

no doubt.

Does Dr light count as asian w/ kung fu?
Atom his book didnt last long enough so i couldnt tell you on him, but
i think you might have thought of one Varient. i don't remember her using any martial arts. good job!

You're talking about White Tiger. They had to kill him off for breaking the rules...:cmad:
they eventually replaced him with his niece, though :cwink:

The group was the Sons of the Tiger. White Tiger got his powers from their discarded amulets...

Glad to know I least was right that there was one at one time. Haven't read those books in decades. Sorry to hear they killed him off though.

i think you might have thought of one Varient. i don't remember her using any martial arts. good job!

If she doesn't know martial arts...expect her to get the White Tiger treatment soon.

Sorry to hear they killed him off though.

Another strike against Bendis :cmad::cmad:

I only ever read two books White Tiger appeared in (not counting his death-by-Bendis appearances), two issues of that old kung fu book you mentioned that my brother had back in the day. One had his origin and the other his first adventure. I'm pretty sure they were among the first comics I ever read and they are one of the reasons I've always liked Iron Fist, Sons of the Tiger and White Tiger.

Another strike against Bendis :cmad::cmad:

I only ever read two books White Tiger appeared in (not counting his death-by-Bendis appearances), two issues of that old kung fu book you mentioned that my brother had back in the day. One had his origin and the other his first adventure. I'm pretty sure they were among the first comics I ever read and they are one of the reasons I've always liked Iron Fist, Sons of the Tiger and White Tiger.

I'm pretty sure I still have those books boxed up somewhere....I need to dig them out and take another look.

YOWZAAAA....I went to the garage and found them!! I have 33 issues of the Marvel b/w mag THE DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU........got some extra reading to do.

White tiger was the &^%$#@! i was pissed when he got killed off Hahahaha you kill me Rock he broke the rules so he had to get whacked.
well i guess that answers the question about Atom .so there's "1" in the multitude of comicdom. that's sorry.

YOWZAAAA....I went to the garage and found them!! I have 33 issues of the Marvel b/w mag THE DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU.........

There's no jealousy emoticon so this will have to do

:cmad::cmad::cmad::cmad:

Man!Corp and all you guys with white tigers and such. have had me thinking about that whole "black" in front of their names all day and i remembered this cat( literally)
Coaltiger.jpg

hahaha "Coal Tiger"
which is just another way to say Black Tiger you gotta love it. at least my boy was cool as hell cause he changed into a were- panther which i always wanted T'challa to do.
That why i gotta make mine marvel!

BP went by that name for awhile because marvel didn't want him associated with the Black Panthers.

Personally I was given to understand that Magneto was a gypsy(like Dr Doom!)- not to be insensitive about the "Shoah", but they did also suffer under nazism!

Secondly I can name at least three marvel heroes of Latino origin- Living Lightning, Firebird and White Tiger, so I dispute the poster who claimed that Latino characters were basically invisible in Marvel( for that matter I can throw in three heroes of native American heritage to boot- Red Wolf, American Eagle and Black Crow)

Terry

Secondly I can name at least three marvel heroes of Latino origin- Living Lightning, Firebird and White Tiger, so I dispute the poster who claimed that Latino characters were basically invisible in Marvel( for that matter I can throw in three heroes of native American heritage to boot- Red Wolf, American Eagle and Black Crow)

Wow...three whole latino characters. Who rarely ever appear. Guess I was totally wrong *snicker*

And two of the three native americans you name have magical abilities. You are just tearing my previous post apart...:dry:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

P.S. I never said just Marvel...DC is pretty much the same.

DC has Super Chief, Vibe, Fire, and Jamie Reyes.

Marvel clearly hates native americans the most of the minorities. Especially in the fact none of them will ever keep a woman. (forge, puma)

For latino's I think Black Trantula is the most known guy there, and Bru decided to up the steriotype quotient to a 13 with that guy (cause a well spoken latino that doesn't say "ese" every other word isn't really latino, right?)

Marvel clearly hates native americans the most of the minorities. Especially in the fact none of them will ever keep a woman. (forge, puma)

For latino's I think Black Trantula is the most known guy there, and Bru decided to up the steriotype quotient to a 13 with that guy (cause a well spoken latino that doesn't say "ese" every other word isn't really latino, right?)

???
All seriousness aside,...

until two decades ago there were not much more than ONE rep for each color outside of caucasian,... and females were either slimy evil ****s bent on world domination or damsels in distress.

There has been improvement.

Forge started out okay,.. just Like Puma,.. but then later writers wrote them like punks.

???
All seriousness aside,...

until two decades ago there were not much more than ONE rep for each color outside of caucasian,...

Agreed.

and females were either slimy evil ****s bent on world domination or damsels in distress.

What the hell is your problem with slimy evil ****s bent on world domination? I should eStab you for that.

There has been improvement.

Forge started out okay,.. just Like Puma,.. but then later writers wrote them like punks.

There has, but native americans have the short end of the stick for the races. Hell BP stole forge's girl for no reason other than she was black and hudlin wanted it. WTF?

I'd say your pecking order for minorities in marvel goes like this:

Blacks (two main titles, hudlin also get's carte blanche authority to make them as steriotypical as he wants and loves, which apparently he thinks helps or soemthing)
Lesbians (mavel and DC loves them some chick on chick action)
Asians (no main titles, but lots in various teams, sure they're steriotypical as ninjas and math guys, but at least they don't get shown up continiously)
Latinos (basically invisible or steriotypes, even good writers can't get past it)
Native Americans (want a beat up doll, use this race, they apparently don't count for much, and none of them can keep a girl if there's a white or black guy nearby)
Gays (yeah not much there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"