Marvel's Black & Minority Characters: Roundtable Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i've been watching a lot of Justice League Unlimited these days and man, John Stewart was such a great character on that show. How come DC doesnt give Stewart more prominence in the comics? The cartoon showed that he can be just as cool a character as Hal Jordan, I'm surprised DC never took advantage of that.

Personality differences. John Stewart in the comics is a lot more lame than John Stewart in the cartoon. Even Dwayne McDuffie, one of the writers on Justice League Unlimited, didn't like using John when he wrote the JLA comic.

Makes no sense whatsoever. If they want his characterization to be more like the JLU version, it's perfectly within any writer's power to make it so.
There's a new creative team on Black Panther, and they're doing great work. If you're a fan of the character who has dropped the book because of Hudlin, then now is the time to come back.
Maberry, right? I'm going to pick up Doomwar, which he's also writing. I might try out Black Panther after, depending on how good Doomwar is.

Originally Posted by Manic
Personality differences. John Stewart in the comics is a lot more lame than John Stewart in the cartoon. Even Dwayne McDuffie, one of the writers on Justice League Unlimited, didn't like using John when he wrote the JLA comic.

Are they really that different? I mean, couldnt they just tweak his personality a little bit then?

There's a new creative team on Black Panther, and they're doing great work. If you're a fan of the character who has dropped the book because of Hudlin, then now is the time to come back.

Hudlin was great on Black Panther! I feel that a character as powerful in as many ways as he is should be written by a actual black writer. The sense of pride and inclusion I got from his writing is the same that I recieved from Milestone comics. Black characters written by people that actually understand what it's like to live the black experience.

If you didn't like Hudlin you can suck it.:yay:

You saw the smilie right? I wasn't serious. I know I'm new but do I have to post disclaimers?

Regardless, telling people to "suck it" tends to create a hostile tone, which leads to heated arguments. Best to just not say things like that in the first place.

Hudlin was great on Black Panther! I feel that a character as powerful in as many ways as he is should be written by a actual black writer. The sense of pride and inclusion I got from his writing is the same that I recieved from Milestone comics. Black characters written by people that actually understand what it's like to live the black experience.

If you didn't like Hudlin you can suck it.:yay:

Please, it's the most base form of stereotypical pandering possible. None of my black cousins like Hudlin's panther at all, in fact that man has actively made us dislike the BP (which is saying something). Maybe if he was capable of actual character depth or plot it might be different, but that ain't gonna happen.

He was like black batman with a more arrogant attitude and no personality. It was less than inspired or inspiring.

If you don't agree, you're welcome to a wonderful life, with horrible taste in comics, storytelling and writing in general.

Please, it's the most base form of stereotypical pandering possible. None of my black cousins like Hudlin's panther at all, in fact that man has actively made us dislike the BP (which is saying something). Maybe if he was capable of actual character depth or plot it might be different, but that ain't gonna happen.

He was like black batman with a more arrogant attitude and no personality. It was less than inspired or inspiring.

If you don't agree, you're welcome to a wonderful life, with horrible taste in comics, storytelling and writing in general.

He is a King. That is the way that a King should be. His character personified the "Royal We" that monarchs are supposed to think of themselves as.

Who is us?

Hudlin is one of the only Black writers ( next to Mcduffie ) that actually make character decisions. I liked the fact that it was written from a Black perspective. I find/found that it gave him more versimilitude than he had in the past. The refences might have gone past whites like LL's mention of FUBU in the gap ad.

I think Hudlin is a great writer. You know, when he's writing about teenagers sneaking out of their houses at night to go to a party on the other side of town while being chased down by Full Force.

I'm talking about House Party, by the way.

Hudlin was a hack. You want a black writer who knows how to write BP, that would be Christopher Priest.

BP nothing. You call Christopher Priest when you want a black writer who knows how to write. (period)

I'll go you one better, You call Chris Priest when you want a writer that knows how to write. (Period)

The fact that Jason Arron (a white guy, as if such a thing actually matters) came on for 3 issues and did soooooo much noticeably better on those 3 issues than Hudlin did in like, 50, shows you how crappy that dude is. He's pretty much killed all my interest in the character. Freaking chick BP doesn't help matters either. :o

I think Hudlin is a great writer. You know, when he's writing about teenagers sneaking out of their houses at night to go to a party on the other side of town while being chased down by Full Force.

I'm talking about House Party, by the way.

I guess that's the us that I saw referenced earlier. C'mon, you know he did other stuff than "House Party". How about "Boomerang"?

I like Priest too. You can like 'em both.

He is a King. That is the way that a King should be. His character personified the "Royal We" that monarchs are supposed to think of themselves as.

Who is us?

Hudlin is one of the only Black writers ( next to Mcduffie ) that actually make character decisions. I liked the fact that it was written from a Black perspective. I find/found that it gave him more versimilitude than he had in the past. The refences might have gone past whites like LL's mention of FUBU in the gap ad.

I guess that's one way to describe a king or dictator throughout history. The best kings or leaders acknowledge human weakness and fault. They aren't always perfect and to put that out as such dehumanizes the man and the king in my eyes tremendously.

Don't ever compare Hudlin with McDuffie in terms of writing or anything else other than skin color. McDuffie is a good writer that writes good stories, they are worlds different. McDuffie also doesn't pander to anyone, he only seems to want to write good stories that are enjoyable to everyone.

Black perspective? Don't give me that crap. BP is a king with the most tech and money in the world. How many other black people can say that's anything like a "black perspective". Personally I hate this ****. There is no difference between me and my black cousins other than skin color. We have the same perspective, everyone meets small minded *******s in their lives no matter what skin color or lifestyle choice. The question is do you let that define your perspectives to complete exclusionism of all other people and types based on the idea they haven't lived your life exactly, or do you incorporate the similarities in all walks of life and build your perspective off of that? One mindset is responsible for most of the racism in the world the other is responsible for most of the people I would buy a beer.

Us would be me and my cousins (six of whom are black) that used to read the BP but can't stand him now. That was pretty clear in the sentence I wrote.

I'll go you one better, You call Chris Priest when you want a writer that knows how to write. (Period)

The fact that Jason Arron (a white guy, as if such a thing actually matters) came on for 3 issues and did soooooo much noticeably better on those 3 issues than Hudlin did in like, 50, shows you how crappy that dude is. He's pretty much killed all my interest in the character. Freaking chick BP doesn't help matters either. :o

Here, here.

I guess that's the us that I saw referenced earlier. C'mon, you know he did other stuff than "House Party". How about "Boomerang"?
He directed Boomerang. It was written by Eddie Murphy and two writers he worked with on Saturday Night Live.

I guess that's one way to describe a king or dictator throughout history. The best kings or leaders acknowledge human weakness and fault. They aren't always perfect and to put that out as such dehumanizes the man and the king in my eyes tremendously.

Don't ever compare Hudlin with McDuffie in terms of writing or anything else other than skin color. McDuffie is a good writer that writes good stories, they are worlds different. McDuffie also doesn't pander to anyone, he only seems to want to write good stories that are enjoyable to everyone.

Black perspective? Don't give me that crap. BP is a king with the most tech and money in the world. How many other black people can say that's anything like a "black perspective". Personally I hate this ****. There is no difference between me and my black cousins other than skin color. We have the same perspective, everyone meets small minded *******s in their lives no matter what skin color or lifestyle choice. The question is do you let that define your perspectives to complete exclusionism of all other people and types based on the idea they haven't lived your life exactly, or do you incorporate the similarities in all walks of life and build your perspective off of that? One mindset is responsible for most of the racism in the world the other is responsible for most of the people I would buy a beer.

Us would be me and my cousins (six of whom are black) that used to read the BP but can't stand him now. That was pretty clear in the sentence I wrote.

I wrote this long response that was not posted due to the lag time. *Ugh* So over that crap!

There's something that's always confused me a little. There are black comic book fans who talk about wanting to read about heroes they relate to. Why do they then name Black Panther? I can relate to Black Panther about as well as I can relate to Namor, Aquaman, Thor, or Wonder Woman in terms of character background.

Really!! C'mon dude, grow some skin. It.Was.A.Joke.:yay:

The moderator makes a point. As you can see from the succeeding comments no one else got your joke. Hence his wise admonition to you.

And to think we don't even get paid for this. :whatever:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"