Marvel's Black & Minority Characters: Roundtable Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
His JLA was s**t anyway. If Giffen and DeMatties can write one of the best JLA incarnations without all of the trinity, I'm sure McDuffie could have bulls**ted his way into a decent read at least. Also, he's responsible for the cosmic half nelson fiasco.

I just had to go search for that comic someone made a while back about what happened to Dwayne McDuffie on JLA...

mcduffied.gif

Haha, DC's universe has definitely been an astonishing mess since Infinite Crisis.

It really has. I blame the balding guy.....also, the Bald guy isn't taking nearly enough drugs.

Really? I thought the bald guy was never completely sober.

He needs to start cutting his heroin with Peyote and Mescaline.

I truly believe that if he did so, he could open a portal to another universe with his Johnson......or die horribly.

Throw some whiskey in there, and he'll be on a 24/7 trip like Ellis. But then he might develop Writer's ADD and forget to write new issues of his ongoing comics...

I've only ever attributed Writer's ADD to Warren Ellis. Nevermind that John Cassaday is one of the slowest artists on earth, it took Ellis a long time to even hammer out the script to Planetary #27 because he was working on other comics, I'm still waiting on the next issue of Fell, and the man launched like 8,000 new indie comics in the year 2008.

I always get Grant Morrison and Mark Millar mixed up.

Add some Whisky, Profanity and violence in the mix and you get Garth Ennis.

Yeah I never realised how many comics Warren Ellis actually wrote because he does he truck load of indies that I have never heard of.

Grant Morrison - Sci-fi genius whose characterization you might or might not agree with.

Mark Millar - Popcorn action writer whose characterization is non-existent.

Didn't Morrison write the sucky New X-Men?

Isn't that highly regarded as awesome as hell? I mean the only critism i've seen is how Marvel messed with the whole Xorn character and making him a seperate character compared to who he truly was.

If you pay attention, 90% of the complaints most people have about New X-Men forcus on the last couple of story arcs (especially Planet X). Otherwise, there was some really good stuff during his run. I liked mutants becoming their own subculture, and I wish someone would bring back the U-Men villains.

Relatability? Overrated.

Oh, I agree. But that's not the point. Someone said that the Black Panther should be written by a black writer who understands the black experience. My point is that this argument is false. Since his creation, the character has had virtually no connection to any sort of black cultural experience in the real world.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. I mean he's a comic book character. What real world experience could he have?

Emphasis mine. Simply put, there's nothing culturally or historically specific about the character that would require the intimate knowledge of a person of the same or similar ethnic background to create good stories.

Simply put, there's nothing culturally or historically specific about the character that would require the intimate knowledge of a person of the same or similar ethnic background to create good stories.

That can be said for every comic book character at Marvel and DC.

Correct. Did you read the thread or did you just pick out my post? Because that's what I'm goddamn saying in response to an earlier post. If you read up, then you'll understand the context. Thanks!

Have you bunch been agreeing this whole time and assuming it's an argument?

I don't know. I thought I was just echoing what you and MD said on the previous page, but apparently, some people took it as a criticism against the character.

Correct. Did you read the thread or did you just pick out my post? Because that's what I'm goddamn saying in response to an earlier post. If you read up, then you'll understand the context. Thanks!

Heh. To quote Public Enemy... "You're quite hostile".

You may be arguing with someone but it isn't me. If you take every question or response to as being a "criticism"...hey, whatever.

Heh. To quote Public Enemy... "You're quite hostile".

You may be arguing with someone but it isn't me. If you take every question or response to as being a "criticism"...hey, whatever.

Rock, I don't believe in stupid questions. But I know you're not dense. I know you're better than this. I tried to clarify my point for you, as your question indicated that you hadn't yet read the previous post that I referenced before interjecting yourself into the discussion. Your follow-up response was rather rude, and was far beside the point of what I had just explained to you, and to the discussion of the entire previous page. Which, if you had read only a few posts, would've helped you to understand before deciding to just nitpick someone's individual statements out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"