Mass Shooting at Christchurch Mosque

My take...

PDP is a producer of insipid videos that's been LUCKY enough to be able to reap some rewards. He's indeed dabbled in some questionable humor that, right or wrong, does make it very easy for someone to think he's at least a fellow traveller of the Alt-Right.

That said... No, he's not some grand disseminator of radical White Identity propaganda and he's not responsible for acts of violence even if the perpetrator mentions him by name. (Though... Yeah, maybe ask WHY that is, and I'm sorry, "They're crazy" doesn't cut it anymore.) He's not going to be censored by Youtube and I doubt whatever he's done warrants it, though if individuals wish to make their displeasure that he's being supported by various corporate entities known to said entities and they say organize a boycott or bring social media pressure to bear well, tough nuts PDP defenders. That's not government action. Live by the social media... Die by the social media.

More to the point though... This discussion which has dominated this thread is at best tangential. If we were talking about the wealth of Alt-Right/White Supremacist/White Identity Political material and ideological spokesmen online that would be one thing. There's a nuanced and important discussion to be had about that, which includes questions of free speech and yes, it's limits perhaps in the age of incredibly vocal keyboard warriors from one end of the spectrum to the other that are using the various media platforms available on the Internet to spread whatever message they want in whatever way they want including ways that are either insidious, outrageous or designed specifically to foment argument and resentment.

But we're talking about ****ing Pewdiepie. Does everyone really want to die on this hill? And more to the point... Why is this dominating the discussion about this tragic act of terrorism, and it is terrorism. Terrorist action inspired by the online world of White Identity politics which is neck deep filled with insane conspiracy theories and unhinged reactions to the way the world is. This is resulting in a spike in Right Wing Reactionary crimes across the globe... But Pewdiepie is hardly the cause. At best he's a symptom of a generation of people that have the ****tiest judgement about everything from taste in humor to what is understandable youthful rebellion and what's just stupid postering, yes, even on the subject of free speech. It's funny because there was a poster going on about how PDP represents some break from older media that is more pure and truthful or whatever bull**** he was peddling. It's funny because it's more apparent than ever that in fact the generation raised on new media are ****ing morons when it comes to knowing what's noise and what's signal to the delight of corporations and governments everywhere.

But... I'm sorry this back and forth right now based solely on PDP being mentioned is a snapshot of how the forest isn't seen through the trees with the usual suspects, not just here but all over the media world, shining up their armor and sharpening their blades all powered by their resentments from some previous argument they had somewhere else on some other topic using the same poses of moral and intellectual superiority which at this point are no longer reasonable or understandable... It's schtick. Schtick that makes some feel better about themselves. This is all sides. ALL SIDES.

50 people who are guilty of nothing more than being at their house of worship were slaughtered and that's nothing more than a blip. It's an excuse for the same people we've heard for the last 18 years make the same ****ing circular arguments we've all heard before. Lost in that is the horror of connecting with other people and a whole nation really, that is in an emotional tailspin because of actions taken by a person who cannot fathom that there is nuance and gray. Are there Islamic Militants who use their dogmatic impulses to justify mass slaughter? There are, that there is no doubt on from my point of view. I'm an atheist. I find ALL religions to be frankly delusions with an end point that will never have good outcomes in one form or another because when you believe in things that are not so you will never have a good end, even if there are short term positive results from your belief. But at the same time the whole world isn't going to convert to my view on these things overnight and I cannot force them to do that. And if someone is going about their faith in a peaceful manner I should, if for no other than practical reasons, respect that. The shooter cannot understand that. He's set in a binary view (like a lot of people who are posters here on the Hype) that if one person is a threat from the faith of Islam, then they all are. No inbetween. No debate. And in being trapped in this binary view of humanity he allows himself the rationale that what he did was justified. And in his wake is a ripple effect of sorrow and despair as the end of those 50 lives touches a network of humanity across the globe likely.

If going on about this brings any some sense of accomplishment, by all means, please go on about it. I can't stop you. But notice how this tragedy is being used to talk about everything BUT the murder of these people.

If I've offended anyone here (and I'm looking at Darth and Trav) I honestly don't care. This is just what this sort of Hype ****show brings out in me.
I am not simply talking about PDP. Most of my posts are not about him. Since I got on tonight are about the idea that you can't try and remove hate speech from the intertubes. You talk about the shooter's binary mindset. But where did he get that from? Mass murderers like him are cultivated and it is done on the internet to greater and greater effect these days.

Cloudflare are trying to make the argument they should keep 8chan up because them no longer working with them wouldn't matter because someone else would pick them up. Yeah, that doesn't really cut it. De-platforming works. Look at the amount of sway people like Milo and Alex Jones have lost since being de-platformed. Also, I am not talking about PDP. But clearly he has an appeal to the alt-right, and considering he has sent his followers to alt-right propaganda before, he sure as hell ain't helping.

It was directed at DP. It's who I replied to. :funny:

But good job ignoring all the other post. It's almost like you are doing it on purpose...
My god Darth, I know that. Why are you still not keeping up here? I know you replied to DP, but your response was referring to me. Your idiotic Trump reply was directed at me. It’s the only person who it could be directed towards: “let’s see if HE names Trump and his supporters 5x”. The “he” you referred to is me, which is why I responded. How is this lost on you?

And I’m not ignoring anything. I’m having a hard time keeping up on my phone, as it is. I’m in a green room waiting around killing time. Once I’m in front of a computer, this will be easier to respond. Right now, I’m trying to make heads or tails of your responses. They’re not making sense.

My god Darth, I know that. Why are you still not keeping up here? I know you replied to DP, but your response was referring to me. Your idiotic Trump reply was directed at me. It’s the only person who it could be directed towards: “let’s see if HE names Trump and his supporters 5x”. The “he” you referred to is me, which is why I responded. How is this lost on you?

And I’m not ignoring anything. I’m having a hard time keeping up on my phone, as it is. I’m in a green room waiting around killing time. Once I’m in front of a computer, this will be easier to respond. Right now, I’m trying to make heads or tails of your responses. They’re not making sense.
Fine, you win. Going to reply to the other posts?

I will say, youtube's recommendation algorithem does need to be discussed. Because whether or not you view PDP as a racist, it is clear he is a vector to other racist content. For a long ass time, would not watch Star Wars content on yt, because it would flood my recommendations with ****ty TLJ rants. And the sad reality is, with how that has worked, it has incentivized creators to be friendly, if not outright supportive, of racists.

I do not envy parents. The sort of policing that it needs is scary. Because yt has shown they will only act when the advertisers react.

I will say, youtube's recommendation algorithem does need to be discussed. Because whether or not you view PDP as a racist, it is clear he is a vector to other racist content. For a long ass time, would not watch Star Wars content on yt, because it would flood my recommendations with ****ty TLJ rants. And the sad reality is, with how that has worked, it has incentivized creators to be friendly, if not outright supportive, of racists.

I do not envy parents. The sort of policing that it needs is scary. Because yt has shown they will only act when the advertisers react.
Yeah, lived through that. How does watching a Star Wars trailer or countdown video lead you to Stefan Molyneux? And even if I said I did not want to see those videos anymore, they still popped up.

The line is when someone is calling for action: that’s it. Everything else is free speech. PDP isn’t calling anyone to action. It’s completely silly to think so.

All this will lead to, is more advocation for censorship. People will just drum up excuses as to why this is “different”, when it’s not.
That's a clear cut line I can agree with and that is the problem I have when it comes to the public trying to point the finger at anyone other than the perpetrator. And the strange thing about it, the perpetrator does the exact same thing, point the finger at the world at large, blaming everyone for this horrific act they are preparing to commit, writing novel long manifestos about how screwed up the world is.

It's something else broken in these people that compels them to commit these egregious acts. Most mass shooters come from single parent homes. Maybe that is where we should start.

That's a clear cut line I can agree with and that is the problem I have when it comes to the public trying to point the finger at anyone other than the perpetrator. And the strange thing about it, the perpetrator does the exact same thing, point the finger at the world at large, blaming everyone for this horrific act they are preparing to commit, writing novel long manifestos about how screwed up the world is.

It's something else broken in these people that compels them to commit these egregious acts. Most mass shooters come from single parent homes. Maybe that is where we should start.
What exactly do you do about single parent homes?

Also so even if someone is radicalized on the internet, that has nothing to do with these incidents? When they parrot known conspiracies, that has nothing to do with it? Nothing to do with his choice to walk into a mosque as opposed to anywhere else?

I mean, that is what radicalization does. It breaks someone into making them able to commit murder. Frankly, military training does similar things.

The only difference is, that people are willing to ignore white radicalization more than say, islamic.

Please provide a source for your claim about mass shooters and single parent homes.

So the article references Suzanne Venker's opinion piece with FoxNews. That's where the information is coming from. Here is an article that refutes that:

Maybe It’s The Missing Fathers? No, It’s Not. – Verily (retired)

In the Fox News opinion piece, anti-feminist Suzanne Venker doesn’t actually address the claim in her headline. At all. But she links to an earlier editorial she wrote, called “The desperate cry of America’s boys”, in which she claims that someone else claimed that of seven mass shooters since 2005, only one (Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho) was raised by his biological father throughout childhood. Not only does she not attempt to verify this claim, but she doesn’t even take issue with the fact that he’s only using a sample size of seven mass shooters since 2005 before going on to assume it’s true and talk about how important fathers are.

The comments in that Patheos article even refute the claim.

The truth is that finding that information about the shooters is incredibly difficult and no one actually has the real numbers. Also, black boys are more likely to live in single parent homes, yet most mass shooters are white. That doesn't add up to this so called evidence.

Please provide a source for your claim about mass shooters and single parent homes.

I am betting he's basing it on media reporting from sources that didn't even verify what they put out there.

What most have in common is not single parent homes.

(Excuse the sensational title of the article, although it's true, the similarities go beyond gender.)

Mass Shooters Are All Different. Except for One Thing: Most Are Men.

This list is enlightening since you can see that this isn't a case of "kids" going on rampages due to not having good father figures. Or even of people in their twenties. Mass shooters range in age from teens to people on the verge of retirement age.

US mass shootings, 1982-2019: Data from Mother Jones’ investigation

So the article references Suzanne Venker's opinion piece with FoxNews. That's where the information is coming from. Here is an article that refutes that:

The comments in that Patheos article even refutes the claim.

The truth is that finding that information about the shooters is incredibly difficult and no one actually has the real numbers. Also, black boys are more likely to live in single parent homes, yet most mass shooters are white. That doesn't add up to this so called evidence.
I can see a correlation between openness to radicalization and the vulnerability of poor or even no parenting. But as you pointed out, that is a rather large leap to being the cause.

I think writer's schtick is trying to get people talking about how its single mothers that are the real problem. I've seen this crap before in the Gender Roles thread.

I think writer's schtick is trying to get people talking about how its single mothers that are the real problem. I've seen this crap before in the Gender thread.
When I saw this on another site, that did seem to be the case. Complaints of going away from our "traditional values".

What exactly do you do about single parent homes?

Also so even if someone is radicalized on the internet, that has nothing to do with these incidents? When they parrot known conspiracies, that has nothing to do with it? Nothing to do with his choice to walk into a mosque as opposed to anywhere else?
Maybe more big brother/big sister programs are needed. Because even if you censor away all the bad talkers, it won't mean that a person who is already depressed, angry or unstable won't commit acts of atrocity.

A mosque? A school? A night-club? A business? A hospital? Is there really any difference between them? Human life is human life and unhinged people are unhinged. Just because they decided to assign a "reason" to their psychopathic behavior doesn't make it anything more than a mindless massacre. There were mass shooters before the internet existed, Columbine took place before YouTube. No, I think those who are damaged in their minds will somehow reason their way into destructive action no matter who they are listening to.

I think writer's schtick is trying to get people talking about how its single mothers that are the real problem. I've seen this crap before in the Gender thread.
Huh? I don't have a schtick. I'm sorry you feel that way though.

No. Stop. Your claim is refuted. It's not true. Let's not have this discussion about single parent homes because it's not relevant.

When I saw this on another site, that did seem to be the case. Complaints of going away from our "traditional values".
I'm the furthest thing from a traditionalist.

The comments in that Patheos article even refute the claim.

That's because gang related killings or murders in black neighborhoods that are generally not classified as "mass shootings". Usually gang members have targets, people they are trying to take out. And murders related to armed robbery and drug deals gone wrong are not considered "mass shootings". The term "mass shooting" as coined by the media are generally referring to random unmotivated killings of innocent people, and as crazy as it seems, that rarely happens in the black community.

Maybe more big brother/big sister programs are needed. Because even if you censor away all the bad talkers, it won't mean that a person who is already depressed, angry or unstable won't commit acts of atrocity.

A mosque? A school? A night-club? A business? A hospital? Is there really any difference between them? Human life is human life and unhinged people are unhinged. Just because they decided to assign a "reason" to their psychopathic behavior doesn't make it anything more than a mindless massacre. There were mass shooters before the internet existed, Columbine took place before YouTube. No, I think those who are damaged in their minds will somehow reason their way into destructive action no matter who they are listening to.
Of course the target matters when it is a targeted attack. Also the amount of mass shooting has gone up quite a bit.

That's because gang related killings or murders in black neighborhoods that are generally not classified as "mass shootings". Usually gang members have targets, people they are trying to take out. And murders related to armed robbery and drug deals gone wrong are not considered "mass shootings". The term "mass shooting" as coined by the media are generally referring to random unmotivated killings of innocent people, and as crazy as it seems, that rarely happens in the black community.

If you can't see the difference between gang killings in impoverished neighbourhoods and the mass shooting of innocent people, then you can't have an honest conversation in this thread.

And you're just going to ignore the other article and how the 26 out of 27 number is incorrect. Not verifiable. Complete crap.

Last edited:
I thought Elektra was talking about the writer of the articles. My mistake.

And? That is the agreed upon definition of mass shootings.

I thought Elektra was talking about the writer of the articles. My mistake.

And? That is the agreed upon definition of mass shootings.

I like that it's apparently crazy that black people aren't shooting innocent people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"