Mass Shooting at Christchurch Mosque

No. Stop. Your claim is refuted. It's not true. Let's not have this discussion about single parent homes because it's not relevant.
How about broken homes then? Is that better? The writer of your debunking article at least agrees that a dysfunctional home is likely the case and in the same article a respondent posted a link to an article where a doctor cites over 56 school shooter cases where the vast majority of the shooters grew up in a single parent environment at some point in their childhood.

In my experience single parent homes and mixed family homes are a lot alike. Maybe its different for you. Most people don't want believe that kids growing up without their biological fathers in the home is a problem, even though there is enormous amounts of evidence to the contrary.

I like that it's apparently crazy that black people aren't shooting innocent people.
Well that would be wrong to say. If we start getting into gun violence in general, Chicago is Chicago. People of all races sadly hurt and kill their loved ones in their own homes everyday. But when it comes to mass shooting or terrorist attacks in the "west", which is what we are talking about here, it does seem that being a white male is by far the most common trait.

And? That is the agreed upon definition of mass shootings.

And....it explains why black people, who are more likely to grow up in a single parent home, do not commit more mass shootings. Because murders in the black communities are not classified as mass shootings.

How about broken homes then? Is that better? The writer of your debunking article at least agrees that a dysfunctional home is likely the case and in the same article a respondent posted a link to an article where a doctor cites over 56 school shooter cases where the vast majority of the shooters grew up in a single parent environment at some point in their childhood.

In my experience single parent homes and mixed family homes are a lot alike. Maybe its different for you. Most people don't want believe that kids growing up without their biological fathers in the home is a problem, even though there is enormous amounts of evidence to the contrary.
What about growing up without a biological father turns someone into a mass shooter? How does it effect someone more then say, access to guns or radicalization on the internet?

Let's look at the piece of **** that murdered 50 people in New Zealand. Considering his access to weapons and what he himself said was his reasoning, do you think a lack of a father figure had more to do with his mass shooting then his access to guns and being told the white race was being replaced by brown folk?

I like that it's apparently crazy that black people aren't shooting innocent people.
I think you missed the words "random" and "unmotivated" and I think I just explained that most shootings in black communities don't fall under "random" and "unmotivated".

And....it explains why black people, who are more likely to grow up in a single parent home, do not commit more mass shootings. Because murders in the black communities are not classified as mass shootings.
Apparently the FBI do include such shootings. They include gang related violence which sees 3 or more people die. They do not include murders that happen inside the shooter's own home.

What about growing up without a biological father turns someone into a mass shooter? How does it effect someone more then say, access to guns or radicalization on the internet?

Let's look at the piece of **** that murdered 50 people in New Zealand. Considering his access to weapons and what he himself said was his reasoning, do you think a lack of a father figure had more to do with his mass shooting then his access to guns and being told the white race was being replaced by brown folk?
Apparently he had a father figure, but his parents were separated.

A similar question: what about growing up without a biological father ruins so many young children in the black community, which also has the highest number of fatherless homes out of any community in the country by far. Growing up in those homes, children lack consistent authority. The father may be in and out of the child's life, or the mother may remarry or date another man who comes in and tries to discipline the child and that causes huge problems. I can tell you this from experience that prisons are filled with black men who fell victim to dysfunctional home lives.

So I can see that how these shooters grew up had a larger influence than whatever they are listening to on YouTube. In fact, just as bad homes drive young black men to join gangs, bad homes can drive a young man to listen to objectionable material or find acceptance through a toxic community. But where did it all start? Where did all those guys in that community come from? What kind of homes did they live in?

If you can't see the difference between gang killings in impoverished neighbourhoods and the mass shooting of innocent people, then you can't have an honest conversation in this thread.

And you're just going to ignore the other article and how the 26 out of 27 number is incorrect. Not verifiable. Complete crap.
That's perfectly fine...the number is incorrect. As I just pointed out however, your same author that wrote the debunking article confirmed and agreed with a source posted by a respondent that the majority of school shooters came from dysfunctional families.

I see the different between the two killings and pointed it out. That was the point of my response, to explain how mass shootings and gang killings are different.

Apparently he had a father figure, but his parents were separated.

A similar question: what about growing up without a biological father ruins so many young children in the black community, which also has the highest number of fatherless homes out of any community in the country by far. Growing up in those homes, children lack consistent authority. The father may be in and out of the child's life, or the mother may remarry or date another man who comes in and tries to discipline the child and that causes huge problems. I can tell you this from experience that prisons are filled with black men who fell victim to dysfunctional home lives.

So I can see that how these shooters grew up had a larger influence than whatever they are listening to on YouTube. In fact, just as bad homes drive young black men to join gangs, bad homes can drive a young man to listen to objectionable material or find acceptance through a toxic community. But where did it all start? Where did all those guys in that community come from? What kind of homes did they live in?
What do you mean they lack consistent authority? Are mothers incapable of this? This really isn't the topic, but I would say living in poverty has more to do with how young black and Hispanic kids end up in trouble. Especially when you consider that is why so many of their fathers are in prison themselves. It's a viscous cycle, based around limited options.

Dysfunctional families and single parent homes are not the same. Stop making this discussion about that.

Also, where in the article does he agree that mass shooters come from dysfunctional families?

Last edited:
What do you mean they lack consistent authority? Are mothers incapable of this? This really isn't the topic, but I would say living in poverty has more to do with how young black and Hispanic kids end up in trouble. Especially when you consider that is why so many of their fathers are in prison themselves. It's a viscous cycle, based around limited options.
I won't say ALL mothers are incapable of authority, because that would be a lie, but I will say MOST mothers need a lot more support to be consistent. People get tired and here's a kid that still wants to stay up late, watch TV, eat cake and drink soda. After mom has been working all day long and wants to sleep. But when you have two parents...now you have strength, back up. But if they are single and doing it by themselves....at least in the black community, it is failure X 1000. I have coached youth football teams where mothers are bringing their young kids to play that don't even want to play football, but the moms are hoping that a "father figure" will somehow materialize, or at least by being around other men, this child gets some much needed mentoring through "osmosis" I guess. And most of the coaches are just there to pick up on the moms!

The real problem is no consistency. One day the father is here, then he isn't. Then a boyfriend comes by sometimes, and sometimes he's not there either. Boys above everything need structure and rules. Poverty isn't really the issue. Some of the happiest, intact families I have seen were dirt poor, but the father was there along side mom, being a disciplinarian and helping the mother raise his own children. He's naturally going to care more about his own kids and together they get the job done.

Dysfunctional families and single parent homes are not the same. Stop making this discussion about that.

Also, where in the article does he agree that mass shooters come from dysfunctional families?
There's a respondent at the bottom of the article.

https://kotaku.com/valve-removes-over-100-steam-tributes-to-suspected-new-1833328548

In addition to nearly 100 pages that referred to or venerated the suspected New Zealand shooter, hundreds of pages continue to nod toward past mass shooters including perpetrators of massacres in Charleston, Isla Vista and Parkland and of the 2011 mass killing in Norway. These profiles also appropriate these terrorists’ names and images, sometimes their mugshots or press images from their trial. Many have been live for months or years. 45 profiles referencing the Charleston shooter’s name remain live, including four created near the date of the 2015 attack.

“It’s very hard to speculate about why people do things on the internet. Internet culture tends to be steeped in irony and satire,” said Alice Marwick, an assistant professor of communications at UNC Chapel Hill, where she studies extremist content on social media. “With that being said, a lot of the time this kind of irony and satire does cloak genuine hatred. . . I think when people take on the mantle of these people, yes, they could be ironic or edgelords, but even if you’re not emulating their actions, you’re emulating their belief system.”

Public veneration for mass shooters contributes to the misguided and deeply demented “hero” narrative that helps spawn them, be it ironic or sincere.

If you want to blame mass shootings by teens or people in their 20's on absent fathers... Okay I might be able to see a point. Maybe. If I squint. But mass shootings have been carried out by folks across the age spectrum. Which brings in all kinds of wrinkles to the theory that the absent fathers phenomenon is some key indicator.

Can we please let this discussion about single parent families die? That's not the reason for mass shootings. Make a new thread if you want to spew anecdotal evidence about single moms.

Can we please let this discussion about single parent families die? That's not the reason for mass shootings. Make a new thread if you want to spew anecdotal evidence about single moms.
I already corrected to dysfunctional families.

If you want to blame mass shootings by teens or people in their 20's on absent fathers... Okay I might be able to see a point. Maybe. If I squint. But mass shootings have been carried out by folks across the age spectrum. Which brings in all kinds of wrinkles to the theory that the absent fathers phenomenon is some key indicator.
So what would you attribute the mentality of the killer to? Something has to be broken inside the person to commit this heinous act, correct? Its closer to the way the person was raised than it is to YouTube videos.

So what would you attribute the mentality of the killer to? Something has to be broken inside the person to commit this heinous act, correct? Its closer to the way the person was raised than it is to YouTube videos.

Sir/madam... If you think that merely having two parents is some guarantee of producing a happy, whole and mentally incorruptible human being then I'm sorry, you have a simplistic and shallow understanding of how complex and unsolvable a riddle the human animal is.

Sir/madam... If you think that merely having two parents is some guarantee of producing a happy, whole and mentally incorruptible human being then I'm sorry, you have a simplistic and shallow understanding of how complex and unsolvable a riddle the human animal is.
Did I say it was a guarantee? This is a discussion. If you don't have anything to add to it, just kick back.

This wasn't some simple mass shooting. This was a terrorist attack. Planned for months, maybe even years before. And executed with precision. He shot up 2 mosques, and was on his way to a third. For some odd reason, I don't see people making the argument that broken homes is the cause of terrorism. One almost wonders what makes this guy different than others who were referred to as terrorists.

This wasn't some simple mass shooting. This was a terrorist attack. Planned for months, maybe even years before. And executed with precision. He shot up 2 mosques, and was on his way to a third. For some odd reason, I don't see people making the argument that broken homes is the cause of terrorism. One almost wonders what makes this guy different than others who were referred to as terrorists.
I agree it was an act of terrorism. Most articles I'm reading describe it as such. I would categorize almost all mass shootings of indiscriminate victims as terroristic attacks.

This is fairly fascinating twitter thread.

Sadly, we already know the answer to the question of "will the online platforms treat white supremacy like ISIS?".

Especially since Jack Dorsey has espoused sympathy for the white supremacists.

I suspect only after some investigative journalists do some in depth work on how active white supremacists are online, and we have a few more mass murders, will there be any political will to take further steps.

You’ll also have tons of intellectually deficient libertarians bleating about “muh free speech” preventing headway for a while.

We've already had white supremacists commit mass murder and there has been in depth reporting on their online activities and the major platforms only take token steps to address them.

The big issue is the right has embraced way too many of the alt-right talking points. Admitting there is a white supremacist problem is a no go for them because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"