Mattchew's fanart thread 5.0... dukee, refined!

Hey all... If you're wondering what happened to your comments, the mods are deleting threads and reopening them, if they have 10,00 posts or more.

I just decided to copy over all my stuff over to a new thread before it just disappeared.

Anyway, this 5.0 thread is my new home!

Quick x-mas card update....

sbc_09.jpg

more coming.

I'm really digging the muted color pallette, a good contrasrt to the holiday theme.

Looking very good, I can't wait to see what this look's like finished :)

^^Thanks guys!

Here's my final update for today (night)....

sbc_11.jpg

It's getting towards the home strech but there are just TONS of tweaks left...

Neither hand is done, I need to replace with ball with a caveboy-appropriate gift, shadows and outlining to make them stand out from the background, add a pterodactyl flying in the distance, and so on.

Anyway... basic artwork should be done tomorrow probably... but there's a twist coming (if I can pull it off)! ;)

Loving it! Looks great and I'm really liking the theme!

Your stuff just keeps getting better Matt :woot:

Completed: 11/18/2009

Thanks to all who have been following the progress on this piece!

This is the final for the artwork on my 2009 x-mas card I send out to my buddies.

xmas_card_2009.jpg

I am really happy with the way it turned out. The dinos were a blast to draw, but in the end it was all about Caveman-Santa...

He was really fun to draw, so I hope you guys think it's funny!

I was aiming for the opposite of Christmas-y, and I think I got there.

As always, I'd love to hear reactions!

And while I'm at it, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, and all the rest! Hope all your holiday travels are safe and here's hoping for a great 2010 for you and your family!

PS: If you want to see a bigger version...
xmas_card_2009_big.jpg

PSS: I always try to do a twist with my x-mas cards... This year, they're being sent out IN 3D! I realize not everyone has a pair of red/cyan glasses just chilling out in their drawer, but if you do, please enjoy!

x-mas_card_2009_3D.jpg

Last edited:
Very solid style. Now it's all about ideas ~ and this one is awesome.

Love those minor details like mistletoe tying the spear and the "To Bam Bam" card.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
-Burai

So I hinted in previous posts that I was gonna do a twist on this year's x-mas card...

And here it is: IN 3D!!! I'm sending out my cards this year with 3D glasses... I hope people think this is as cool as I do.

I realize not everyone has a pair of the old red/cyan glasses just chilling out in their drawer, but if you do, please enjoy!

x-mas_card_2009_3D.jpg

If you can see it in 3D, let me know what you think!

Last edited:
damn i only have orange/blue ones not red green

fantastic work as usual though

While I don't own a pair of 3d glasses, I think what you did was fantastic. As I saw the completed artwork, I wondered to myself: "I could swear that he always does something special with his xmas cards. What happened?" Haha. Send me a pair of those glasses will you? :p

Really great job. I didn't comment your mascot picture, but I will say that the final result was brilliant. There is just so much good stuff to talk about, but basically all was covered by the other posters. Keep it up Matt!

damn i only have orange/blue ones not red green
fantastic work as usual though

thanks... and in the event anyone cares, this was made for red/cyan glasses, actually.

While I don't own a pair of 3d glasses, I think what you did was fantastic. As I saw the completed artwork, I wondered to myself: "I could swear that he always does something special with his xmas cards. What happened?" Haha. Send me a pair of those glasses will you? :p
Really great job. I didn't comment your mascot picture, but I will say that the final result was brilliant. There is just so much good stuff to talk about, but basically all was covered by the other posters. Keep it up Matt!

Thanks a million for all the kind words.

Yep... i used to do motion cards with pull tabs and stuff when my card list was closer to 20, but im sending out 65 cards this year, and I just can't cut out all those tiny pieces without losing my mind, so I've been trying to add some "wow factor" in other ways.

For next year, my mom gave me the idea to do some twist on an advent calendar, so that may be where I'm headed.

For the record, I did a a few trials with the 3D for my card... the version currently viewable is the final.

The layers are now further apart now and I've cleaned up the ghosts as much as my current abilities allow...

x-mas_card_2009_3D.jpg

If anyone has red/cyan glasses, let me know what you think!

Any chance I can get a proof read on this... The people I generally tap for this are all receiving this card and I dont want to ruin it...

"Happy Holidays!

Part of me says, "Apologize for the randomness of the card design. You can't just send out a Christmas card depicting Caveman-Santa fighting dinosaurs without some kind of explanation."

But it's in 3D, which is undeniably badass...

As a result, I simply refuse to apologize for any issues you might have with the sheer implausibility and general lack of holiday cheer depicted on the front of this card. I am just not responsible for your bull**** baggage that is leading you to deny Caveman-Santa's obvious charms. I mean, where do you get off? HONESTLY!

Unless you have depth-perception issues, nullifying any 3D effect... In which case, you have my deepest apologies.

In any event, I hope you and your loved ones have a safe and happy holiday season. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, and have a Happy New Year!"

If you spot any thing, please give me a heads up!

Much appreciated!

dang... apparently they're getting super strict about threads. mine hadnt been posted in for a month and it disappeared from the forum.

Well I just got a Wacom Cintiq 21X, so the way I do digital pieces will probably be switched up a bit. I used to sketch with pencil, scan, and then recreate everything in Photoshop. I think generally, I be sketching digitally from here on out.

Anyway, I have mythology on the brain with the surprisingly cool 'Clash Of the Titans' trailers that have come out recently.

I thought I'd take a crack at Medusa... Here's my first progress shot.

medusa_01.jpg

I'll just say this: To get to this point using the Cintiq took only about a quarter of the time... I'm kinda loving this new toy!

Anyway, I'd love to hear thoughts.

Last edited:
Another Medusa update... starting on the hair...

medusa_02.jpg

thoughts?

One of my favorites in mythology! Glad you made her a good looking Gorgon-many people confuse that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"