Mattchew's fanart thread 4.0... Nerd Alert!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tweaked Mrs. B and the Colonel, and I think it looks a bit better. As for debris, I just think it is so busy already I don't know how to add more without making it overkill. I threw in some pebbles here and there, but that's about as much as I could push it.

The pic has been replaced, so you can see these changes now in the orginal post (although you may need to refresh).

Thanks, buddy!

I think it looks better. I like seeing a bit more of both. I think you're right any more it would look too cluttered, but what you did add works and helps give it a little more of a grounded feel.

when I saw "Santa B.C" I thought of santa/caveman. then I read the rest.:)

Well I am going for a santa/caveman-ish visual... just wondering if the subtext will be obvious.

The play on 'Santa B.C.' is great, the visual will no doubt be awesome - but I think the concept of the title is strong enough to stay separate! It's immediately obvious what the joke is...

On the other hand, if its not obvious to other people then why are you sending them a card in the first place!? And not b-slapping them for being so dense?

Now that's what I'm talking about! I think most of my buddies will get it, but I tend to caste a wide net with my x-mas card list so there may be some mouth breathers in there. ;)

looks great, and i love it.... however i do have one criticism... ms butterworth/aunt jamima... feels like shes missing her lover half.. and like part of her should be sticking out of the other side of hamburglar... and instead.. sorta makes it look like she's got fire blowing out her ass...

thats the only thing that bothers me... everything else is fantastic

i though of that too just as i was wrapping it up, but i just dont have it in me to fix it at this point. really valid critique.

Intentional or not... that's hilarious!

not intentional, for the record. ;)

F**king awesome. :up: :up: One of my favourites.

thanks buddy!

I think it looks better. I like seeing a bit more of both. I think you're right any more it would look too cluttered, but what you did add works and helps give it a little more of a grounded feel.

thanks mrh! good to hear.

No rest for the weary... I have a x-mas card to get out before the 25th.

As stated in a previous post, the concept is 'Santa B.C.', featuring santa battling 2 raptors while delivering a present to a caveboy... the potentially heady joke being that Santa is derivative of Christmas, but Santa B.C. predates Christ...

Anyway, I intend Santa's head to be more or less conventional, while his body will be dressed as a caveman.... So here's the pissed off head of Santa... B.C.

sbc_01.jpg

More updates soon... I'm gonna try to push on this, cause I need to getting this thing moving ASAP!

Santa B.C., body shot.... aka body sHOT. ;)

sbc_02.jpg

More tomorrow.

Added 2 raptors, and a little caveboy to my Santa B.C. pic...

The ball in Santa's hand will be replaced by a present for a little caveboy, but I don't know what he'll be gifting just yet....

sbc_04.jpg

More to come, soon.

I'd love to hear thoughts!

Looks awesome as always! BTW anybody know where the Avvy thread went ? I would like to get an avatar of one of youre masterpiece's Matt. (With your permission of course)

Looks awesome as always! BTW anybody know where the Avvy thread went ? I would like to get an avatar of one of youre masterpiece's Matt. (With your permission of course)

not sure about the thread, but feel free! :D

Thanks a lot I think I'm going to use your tin-man !( Always loved him)

santa looks really good, I like the way you did him, cool and funny, great work so far.:)

Flat color on my 'Santa B.C.' themed christmas card.

sbc_05.jpg

More updates coming...

DEAR LORD!!! That is the most fantastic thing I have ever seen! It is so insanely far beyond anything that I could have imagined. Wow.... just... just.... WOW!!!:wow:

:D Best compliment! Very nice to hear!

It's already that time of year? I always look forward to this.

Again, thanks! I hand construct these, and my list has swelled to over 50 this year! :dry: You'll notice I'm trying like mad to get the artwork done ASAP so I can get these in the mail at some point in 2009.

Last edited:
Another update on my 'Santa B.C.' picture for my 2009 X-Mas card.

In this update, I did some paint work on the first of two velociraptors...

sbc_06.jpg

As a side note, I am having a BLAST with this!

I grew up a dino-obsessed kid, so drawing dinosaurs temporarily turns me into a 9 year-old!

Also after my last piece (the insanely dense 'food fight' piece), it is so refreshing to really focus in on detail without feeling like:
'why am I being so anal... i have 30 more characters to work on!'

Anyway, enough of my commentary.

If you have thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

Last edited:
Also, kinda a funny note...

I got into digital art because I wanted to take part in the SHH monthly fanart contests.

My very first entry was sometime back in 2006 in a 'superheroes as dinosaurs' contest. My entry kinda lends itself to comparison with this current piece.

Not sure if anyone cares, but looking at the two side by side made me laugh (and cringe a little, in that way we all do when we look back at stuff).

raptor_robin.jpg

sbc_06.jpg

It's worth saying that at the time I did that robin/raptor piece it was the extreme limit of my ability... So if you're just getting into it, keep the faith and keep pushing yourself with each new piece you do!

Hopefully I can look back a cringe at this current piece some day! :D

Love the two pics side-by-side. Shows just how far you've come! As I said on DA the fire in the food fight piece isn't quite there I don't think, but with every challenge I've seen you come up against, you've nailed it next go - so I've sure we'll be seeing some awesome flames from you soon. So its not surprising to see such a vast improvement in your work!

Also, when I said 'Intentional or not... that's hilarious!'.. I wasn't commenting on the pic... but responding to spideyboy's comment - referring to her 'lower portion' as her 'lover half'...

Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111
... feels like shes missing her lover half...

Like I said, typo or not, I'm loving that comment.

Love the two pics side-by-side. Shows just how far you've come! As I said on DA the fire in the food fight piece isn't quite there I don't think, but with every challenge I've seen you come up against, you've nailed it next go - so I've sure we'll be seeing some awesome flames from you soon. So its not surprising to see such a vast improvement in your work!

Also, when I said 'Intentional or not... that's hilarious!'.. I wasn't commenting on the pic... but responding to spideyboy's comment - referring to her 'lower portion' as her 'lover half'...

Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111
... feels like shes missing her lover half...

Like I said, typo or not, I'm loving that comment.

yeah... i didnt notice the typo till just now. :D

More paint work on my Santa BC piece.

I may tweak the right raptor a bit more, but you get the idea....

sbc_07.jpg

Thoughts?

Ridiculously awesome as always.

Have you ever had written a tutorial on how you do these projects? I've been messing around with Photoshop CS4 (is that what you use?) for ages and I've never been able to get the end results you do. More a matter of your skill >>>>>>>>>>>mine x 304, but a tutorial on how you work would be awesome if you've ever got the time.

Love the two pics side-by-side. Shows just how far you've come!

I'll second that! I haven't looked back on your older stuff if quite some time. You really should be proud of how much you've advanced.

More paint work on my Santa BC piece.

I may tweak the right raptor a bit more, but you get the idea....

sbc_07.jpg

Thoughts?

Nice. I love the raptors' expressions. The left one especially seems as if he's thinking "This is a bad day!"

Thanks! nice to hear!

Ridiculously awesome as always.

Have you ever had written a tutorial on how you do these projects? I've been messing around with Photoshop CS4 (is that what you use?) for ages and I've never been able to get the end results you do. More a matter of your skill >>>>>>>>>>>mine x 304, but a tutorial on how you work would be awesome if you've ever got the time.

yeah, i dont think my process is for the faint of heart. I'm pretty sure i waste loads of time the way I do it, so i actually could benefit for reading a few tutorials myself.

thanks for the interested though.

I'll second that! I haven't looked back on your older stuff if quite some time. You really should be proud of how much you've advanced.

Nice. I love the raptors' expressions. The left one especially seems as if he's thinking "This is a bad day!"

Thanks! I had fun with raptors for sure. I want the one to look kind shocked and the other to just be totally pissed! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"