The Official Hype Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Hype Archives' started by ShadowBoxing, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

2. Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Damn, I was going to suggest swimming. Aqua exercises are the only thing my mom can do since it's low-impact and doesn't involve lifting anything heavy. (I'd like her to start something more substantial, but that's another story entirely. She certainly hasn't had a disc replaced, nevermind the 7 surgeries!)

How about yoga? It sounds girly, but it's fairly low-impact and you actually do have to work to hold the positions. My best friend loses muscle tone if she doesn't do yoga for a while, but she also doesn't do a lot of strength training, so...I dunno. :funny: Couldn't hurt to try, at least.

Developing a strong core will help with your back recovery, I think. Working out my obliques automatically makes me stand up straighter, that's for sure.

3. Joined:
    Jan 31, 2007
    Hey guys,i was wondering if i could get a bit of advice. i starting going to the Gym properly recently, been going say 3 times a week or 5 times actually since i been on holiday. when im back at work im gonna go say 4 times a week for around an hour.

im weigh 70kg atm and im just toning up and wanting to put on a little bit of wieght. when im at the gym i start off by going on the rowing machine for around 10mins then go on the bike machine for 5mins then i do about 40 reps on each machine i go on, ones working chest, back of my arms, biceps and i also do about 60 sit ups and say 40 bycycle crunches.

does this seem like a good routine to you guys? i think im seeing some results and im not expecting to have brad pitts body in two weeks or anything...just wondering if it seems good?

4. DeGenerate10 Br Ba

What kind of weight training splits do you guys use?

5. Saved SynTheMerc

Actually I have a question about that. Should I do pullups and push ups on different days? I've been doing them on the same day for a month but I'm worried about overtraining.

6. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

Nah, you should be fine doing them both on the same day. what else are you doing on those days? And how often are you doing them?

7. Saved SynTheMerc

I've been doing about 200 pullups, about 600-700 pushups (various kinds, not just the regular ones), dips, tricep extensions, and bicep curls. That's everyother day, on the other days of the week I do about half our to an hour of abs.

I feel like I need to split this up more.

8. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

Whoa! 200 pullups is an amazing feat but pretty much the definition of overtraining; same with all those pushups. Add some weight and decrease your number of reps or you're just wasting your time.

An hour of abs? Sweet Christmas! Cut that down too.

You ever read the page in Jag's signature?

9. Saved SynTheMerc

That's why I need to buy P-90x or something so I can do more effective exercises in less time.

I will say one thing, I've gotten a lot more definition in my arms in the last month. Any tips on how to increase effectiveness in the ab exercises so I can cut that time down?

EDIT Never read the page in Jag's sig. Didn't he disapear?

10. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

You can work your abs 2x a week and get great results. Pick 5 or 6 ab exercises, split them in half and do them 2x a week. Tues and Sat for instance, just leave enough time to rest and repair the ab muscle tissue. And when in doubt, add weight. You can still aim for 3 sets of 6-12 reps.

11. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

12. Saved SynTheMerc

Keep in mind I don't go to the gym, I have a pull up bar and a lat pulldown/butterfly machine, two long bars (not iron, some orbitron deal) about 200 lbs in weights, two 30lb dumbells, and 1 40lb dumbell. So for abs I pretty much do leg raises and crunches.

Thanks for the site :up:.

13. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Good news: I had a successful job interview after school, and I've got my ass a winter job.

Bad news: I didn't want to work out between class and the interview, I just got home from the interview, and now I have to wait until 9pm for the gym to get less crowded before working out.

14. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

Leg raises and crunches for 60 mins? I need to see this lol. Here are some more exercises:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/13/abs

15. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

I got some bad news too. I was busy at work and didn't eat my normal amount(prob got 700 calories today) so I had to skip the gym :down:

16. Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Sweet Christmas is right! I thought for sheer muscle growth, the rule was less reps, more weight? If your muscles aren't fatigued by the time you finish 3-5 sets, you're simply not doing enough weight.

Maximizing reps with small amounts of weight is how women are typically told to train for "lean muscles." :oldrazz: Probably not what you're going for, and even for women I think that's bullcrap. I do as much weight as I can for everything and I'm still quite lean and thin.

Not that I have a prayer of even doing ONE pullup, but my arms have gotten visibly larger by doing as much weight as I can, which admittedly isn't much since I have trouble initiating bicep curls, but I do each rep very slowly so the muscle is fatigued anyway. Maybe you can try doing each rep more slowly, just to mix things up.

Increase your weight? :oldrazz:

What are you looking for? Bigger abs, or just definition? Sheer ab definition likely requires some diet changes as well, since they're very likely a bunch of muscle there that isn't showing up under a layer of fat. It's kind of embarrassing how many people forget this - once I was at a Body Worlds exhibit and multiple times I heard people say, "Wow, this guy's got a six-pack too!" Well yeah, EVERYBODY would have a six-pack if they were stripped of their skin and fat. :o

17. Saved SynTheMerc

Aw, thanks a lot, man. Now I can do some variation here and hopefully do less.

Also, I kid you not, up until the last week (because I was sick, so I fell off the bandwagon) I was running about 40 miles a week in addition to the routines I said above. Needless to say, time management and efficiency are my main objectives right now.

18. Saved SynTheMerc

I'm on a strict diet and I have like no fat between my abs and my skin, so I know I need to get the ab muscles bigger or perhaps more defined. I've got a four pack now but I want that six and I also am trying to get my obliques bigger too.

And by strict diet, I mean I eat only natural foods and lean meats.

19. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

Strength = 1-5 reps
    Mass = 6-8(maybe 10)
    Endurance = 10-12

Please, you can do some pullups. There's nothing better than seeing people do a pullup who don't think they ever could; women, overweight people, etc. I'm the first dude in the gym to congratulate somebody who knocks out a few pullups when they're just starting to do them :D

20. Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

I just remember the boys in middle school making fun of me because I was so skinny and weak. :csad: (And I'm a chick, that tells you something about how skinny and weak I was. :funny: ) I'm much stronger now, but I just haven't gotten myself over to the pullup machine to start training them. :funny: I still have trouble initiating a 25-lb bicep curl on the machine, something tells me I wouldn't be able to whip out a pullup magically...

One of these days, though. :hehe:

21. mrvlknight21 Pullups for breakfast!!

Legs????

22. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

He only needs them to run!

23. Saved SynTheMerc

Running and the occasional squats. I really don't do much for legs and I probably should. My hamstrings could use some bulk.

24. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

Is there an assisted pullup machine at your gym?

25. Saved SynTheMerc

I remember reading about using a resistance band to aid in pullups for beginners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.