MCU Fight: Thor vs Hulkbuster Iron Man

BigThor

God of Thunder
Reaction score
We will be doing VS. battles for the MCU every week and will be using the Winners and Losers to create an accurate power tier list created by some of it's biggest fans (you). So don't forget to VOTE and after voting for a Winner please include a comment on which power tier, both the Winner and Loser should reside within. Also, see below for more details on the characters abilities as well as for a list of available power tiers to choose from.

Don't forget to put which Tier group you think Thor and Hulkbuster Iron Man belong to in your posts. :up:

So, without further delay here is this week's match up.

THOR Vs. HULKBUSTER IRON MAN

thor-ragnarok-trailer.gif

giphy.gif

THOR

- Superhuman Strength: As an Asgardian, specifically the son of Odin, Thor is the third strongest Asgardian alive, apart from Odin and his elder sister Hela. He can lift or move immensely heavy objects effortlessly, such as when he was able to easily catch a falling car with one arm during Battle of Sokovia, saving the family trapped inside. He can also easily crush extremely durable objects - such as Iron Man's gauntlets. Thor was even able to tear space ships apart with his bare hands during his escape from Sakaar and held the upperhand while grappling with the Hulk during their gladiator battle.

- Superhuman Speed: Thor can move at superhuman speeds. Thor tackled Hulk through the wall of a Helicarrier in a split second, visibly appearing as a blur.

-Superhuman Reflexes: Thor can react and dodge objects traveling at high speeds, with him blocking many differences kinds of weapons with his hammer such as Dark Elf lasers and Chitauri lasers.

- Superhuman Agility: Thor's agility, dexterity, balance, and bodily coordination make him a great warrior for battle. He moves with incredible grace and speed despite his considerable size and body density. He was able to dodge the wing of a jet fighter thrown at him by the Hulk, as well as dodging many of Hulk's hammer and battle-axe blows in their second battle.

- Superhuman Durability: Thor's skin, muscle, and bone tissue have many times the density of the same tissue in the body of a human being, making him extremely durable. Thor possesses nigh-invulnerability, including resistance to powerful energy blasts, immense blunt force trauma, falls from great heights, explosions and various other opposing forces. He withstood the extreme cold of Jotunheim, the extreme heat of Muspelheim, survived a direct near point-blank range blast from Gungnir blasting him out of Odin's chamber, and falling several hundred feet to the ground, showing no visible signs of injury. Thor withstood a 400%-charged repulsor blast from Iron Man, was barely affected by Quicksilver smashing into him at super sonic speeds and even withstood the full force of the Destroyer's energy blasts. During his final battle with Malekith, Thor was even able to survive being hit by quite a few tendrils of the Aether Infinity Stone energy, and later a blast of Surtur's Twilight Sword flames without any permanent damage, though it should be noted that Thor had not been facing off against Surtur while the latter was at full power. Whenever he is injured, Thor's physique allows him to shrug off minor injuries such as small stab wounds from Asgardian blades, or allows him to withstand a direct blow in the face from a massive Frost Giant and laugh afterwards. He resisted the direct destruction of the entire city of Novi Grad followed by one kilometer drop in the sea, and was only momentarily unconscious.

Regenerative Healing Factor: Due to his Asgardian physiology, Thor is able to heal at a rate much faster than a normal human. After seemingly being killed by the Destroyer and proving himself worthy of Mjølnir once again, Thor regained his full power and immediately healed himself in seconds. Despite receiving mild to severe stab wounds from Asgardian blades on several occasions, after working past the initial pain of the injury, Thor was able to quickly recover and continue fighting. After the brutal beating he suffered from Kurse, upon arriving to Earth several minutes later, he had nearly completely recovered from his bleeding wounds. While fighting Hela, Thor was painfully pierced multiple times by her Necroswords, getting his right eye gouged out in the process, and while Thor was unable to regenerate his eye, he recovered from all of the stabs mere minutes later, despite the Warriors Three all perishing from a single stab from Hela each.

- Weather Manipulation: Thor displayed the ability to manipulate parts of the weather even before he lost his hammer to Hela. His focus always seemed to be somewhere else, so whenever events of him displaying his power occurred his mind was elsewhere. Among them was when he was able to keep rain from touching Jane Foster as a downpour occurred, and when he began to generate sparks of lightning from his hands after becoming furious. He began to unlock the full potential of his abilities during his encounter with Hela, now being able to generate rather large storm clouds and create thunder.

- Lightning Manipulation: Thor can generate, control and project electrical energy, with him thus being dubbed the "God of Thunder". Following Odin's death and visions from his father's spirit, Thor's electrokinetic powers are further enhanced to the point where he could generate electrical energy from his own body and summon thunder and lightning from the sky, all without the use of Mjølnir. His new ability allows him to seamlessly integrate lightning into his fighting sequences against Hulk in the Contest of Champions, and then later against Hela and her undead army. Indeed, Thor's generated lightning bolts were powerful enough to take down a Chitauri Leviathan, to blacken an Aether-enhanced Malekith, to send an enraged Hulk flying back, and to even temporarily stun Hela herself, all with a single respective blast. Additionally, he could pull enemies towards him using lightning and he was able to destroy a proportion of Rainbow Bridge that Hela was standing on to ultimately send her crashing down into the water beneath.

-Mjølnir: Due to the enchantments placed upon the mystical hammer, Thor was granted the ability to focus his innate mystical abilities and harness them. It allowed him to easily harness his dominion over thunder and lightning and that allowed for several other sub-abilities to follow suit.

- Hammer Mastery: Thor is a master of fighting with his battle hammer Mjølnir, due to centuries of practice wielding it, and he is also extremely proficient in hammer throwing. He even had been able to use Mjølnir as a defense tool, blocking energy shots from the Destroyer, Loki's Scepter, Chitauri weaponry, Malekith's Aether, and even Surtur's Twilight Sword (though Surtur was notably not at full power then).

HULKBUSTER IRON MAN

- Superhuman Strength: The suit was specifically designed to match the incredible superhuman strength of Hulk (should he ever need to be subdued), and is powered by over eleven Arc Reactors in order to grant the strength required for such a task. The suit was able to hit Hulk in the face hard enough to knock a tooth out, send Hulk flying two streets away with one punch, and ultimately succeeded in knocking Hulk out when the latter started to calm down after seeing the damage caused.

- Superhuman Durability: The armor was built to be much stronger than any previous suits, to take more extreme damage, such as Hulk's brutal attacks.

- Repulsor Beams: The armor has the ability to shoot repulsor beams strong enough to slow down Hulk, if only for a while.

- Prehensile Technology: Using an independent propulsion system, each section can fly to the user from a drop pod hovering around the combat zone and automatically assemble into the Hulkbuster Armor. Despite being composed of individual parts, the XLIV is still able to sustain quite a few blows from Hulk, unlike the XLII.

- Grappling Hook: It is used to hold Hulk down long enough to use the Repulsor Beams on Hulk.

- Extended Punches: The suit is able to use its fist like a jack hammer.

- Chemical Spray: The suit had a chemical spray outfitted in its wrist which Tony tried to use on Hulk.

- Missles: The XLIV is able to launch small missiles which Tony used to increase damage to Hulk after dropping him into the building under construction.

- Veronica Replacement Parts: Should the Hulkbuster armor sustaine heavy damage, the Veronica hovering above the armor will respond to the authorized user's command by sending spare parts to replace the ones that were damaged. For instance, when the Hulk drove a pole into the Hulkbuster's left arm and severely damaged it, upon the command of Tony, Veronica releases several armor parts that would form an alternate left arm for the armor to battle the Hulk.

*****Below is the list of power tiers to choose from. Please select a power tier for each character doing battle (the characters below in Red are not in any particular order). Be aware both characters can share the same power tier*****

The character's current statuses below are as follows

BLUE CHARACTERS = OFFICIAL FINAL PLACEMENT FOR CHARACTERS
GREEN CHARACTERS = OFFICIAL TRANSITIONAL PLACMENT FOR CHARACTERS FIGHTING UP THE TIER LIST
ORANGE CHARACTERS = OFFICIAL TRANSITIONAL PLACMENT FOR CHARACTERS FIGHTING DOWN THE TIER LIST
RED CHARACTERS = UNOFFICIAL SPECULATIVE PLACEMENT FOR CHARACTERS

*****NOTE: Characters that are OFFICIAL will always be Placed above characters that are UNOFFICIAL.*****

Cosmic Tier (cosmic/interdimension level power/presence on a planetary scale, at the minimum)

Dormammu

Eson the Searcher with Infinity Stone

Surtur Prime

Ego the Living Planet

Odin

Doctor Strange with Time Gem (Reality Hack)

Transcendent Tier (City to planetary level power & Cosmic/interdimensional level influence on a local scale)

Hela

Ronan (with Power Stone)

Ultron Prime (Vibranium)

Kurse

Fenris

Powerhouse Tier (Beyond top tier, power/interdimensional power on a block to city Level)

Ghost Rider

Abomination

Hulk

Malekith (with Reality Gem)

Doctor Strange

Vision

Destroyer Armor

Giant Man

Kaecilius

Top Tier (Street to block level)

Aldrich Killian

Drax the Destroyer

Iron Man

Loki

Iron Monger

Ronan

Whiplash

War Machine

Scarlett Witch

Valkyrie

Heimdall

Sif

Hogun

Fandral

Volstagg

Korath The Pursuer

Quake

Groot

Killgrave

Yondu

Lash

Hive

Frigga

Pepper Potts with Extremis

Mantis

Skurge

Korg

Baron Mordo

Master Wong

Superhuman Tier (Street Level)

Captain America

Gamora

Spider-Man

Vulture

Black Panther

Red Skull

Winter Solider

Starlord

Eric Savin (Extremis Soldier)

Ellen Brandt (Extremis Soldier)

Quicksliver

Luke Cage

Iron Fist

Jessica Jones

Crossbones

Madame Gao

Mr. Hyde

Slingshot

Aida

Raina

Deathlok

The Patriot

Carl Creed the Absorbing Man

Lorelei

Nebula

Miek

Ant Man

Yellow Jacket

Street Tier (non super human, agent level)

Daredevil

Black Widow

Elektra

Hawkeye

Shocker

Batroc The Leaper

Rocket Raccoon

Coleen Wing

Falcon

Batroc The Leaper

Kingpin

Diamondback

Nobu

Bakuto

Peggy Carter

Sharon Carter Agent 13

Dum Dum Dugan

Mocking Bird

Maria Hill

Misty Knight

The Punisher

Nick Fury

Phil Coulson

Zemo

*****As I mentioned earlier, as fights occur an official tier list will be created and updated by me and that can be viewed here.*****

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009

So enjoy and we are looking forward to the results. Spread the word.

Last edited:
Considering Thor took like 10 punches to the face from Hulk, without any injury, visible damage, or anything signifying loss of consciousness, I dont think Hulkbuster sn do too much to Thor.

Also, Thor's lightning won't be ineffective. Especially a big blast. I see Hulkbuster with an early advantage, tossing Thor around till he can set his feet. After that, Thor goes into lightning mode and probably smacks around the suit, dismantles it, destroys veronica, then finishes off the suit.

When Thor gets going, I think it is actually pretty one side . Not sure I see anyone in the powerhouse tier without sort of magic handling Thor. MCU Thor has a **** ton of good durability feats, combat feats, and power feats.

I think Ragnarok has put MCU Thor into a different league now. So many huge feats in that film.

Thor body slammed Hulk while he was choking him during the gladiator battle, never thought I'd see that in the MCU. Just wow

But yeah I think Thor is too durable to really be significantly hurt by anything the Hulkbuster armor has to offer. He'll get knocked around a bit similar to his fights with Hulk, but his damage soak and power output will be too much for Hulkbuster Iron Man.

Thor's lightning also seems to be more potent in Ragnarok, it was down right disentegrating those undead Asgardians and destroyed the balcony of the Asgardian palace and a portion of the rainbow bridge.

Thor body slammed Hulk while he was choking him during the gladiator battle, never thought I'd see that in the MCU. Just wow

But yeah I think Thor is too durable to really be significantly hurt by anything the Hulkbuster armor has to offer. He'll get knocked around a bit similar to his fights with Hulk, but his damage soak and power output will be too much for Hulkbuster Iron Man.

Thor's lightning also seems to be more potent in Ragnarok, it was down right disentegrating those undead Asgardians and destroyed the balcony of the Asgardian palace and a portion of the rainbow bridge.

That lightning blast that knocked Hela off was huge. I'd wager he could one shot the suit if he did that. If it damaged the palace like it did, the suit probably explodes.

Dare I say Thor as of Ragnarok has crossed into transcendent tier? Lol

Don't think so. But I think he puts up as a good of a fight as one can

Hulkbuster Iron Man tosses Thor around a little, but none of it ends up hurting Thor. Hulkbuster then tries to use it's weapons against Thor, but again none of it does anything except maybe slow him down a little. Then when Thor gets his footing he calls upon a giant bolt of lightning and he lights up with the lightning coursing through his body, and then he directs a blast of electricity at Hulkbuster Iron Man that ends up Frying Hulkbuster's circuits and Electrocuting Tony Stark.

Despite Thor being shown to be extremely powerful in Ragnarok, I still believe both he and Hulk-Buster Iron Man belong in the Power House Tier.

At least that's how I see it.

Surfer

Last edited:
That lightning blast that knocked Hela off was huge. I'd wager he could one shot the suit if he did that. If it damaged the palace like it did, the suit probably explodes.

Dare I say Thor as of Ragnarok has crossed into transcendent tier? Lol

Don't think so. But I think he puts up as a good of a fight as one can

I feel like as of Ragnarok, Thor could beat Ultron Prime and maybe even Kurse and Fenris.

Speaking of which, Ultron Prime vs Kurse or Kurse vs Fenris would be awesome (or even Ultron Prime vs Fenris).

I think Thor takes this. The armor is the Hulkbuster and not a Thorbuster one. And even though it showed to be a really tough armor with a ton of strength, power... and a good back up plan in "Veronica", it wasn't made to deal with Thor as a threat. Thor has a very different fighting style, set of skills, power moves...

It would definitely be a though fight. Thor would struggle at points with the sheer strength of the machine but in the end and taking into account what we have seen in Ragnarok where Thor got a boost in terms of power, he at some point would have made irreparable damage to the suit of armor and gotten through to Tony putting an end to the fight.

If Thor doesn't hold back, I can see him winning this pretty easily.

I feel like as of Ragnarok, Thor could beat Ultron Prime and maybe even Kurse and Fenris.

Speaking of which, Ultron Prime vs Kurse or Kurse vs Fenris would be awesome (or even Ultron Prime vs Fenris).
I don't think Thor could beat Ultron Prime. With the boost from Ragnarok he could take on Kurse and make it a more even fight for sure and i also think Thor would defeat Fenris.

Surtur Prime should be right above Hela and Odin above Surtur.
- Odin
- Surtur
- Hela

Last edited:
I don't think Thor could beat Ultron Prime. With the boost from Ragnarok he could take on Kurse and make it a more even fight for sure and i also think Thor would defeat Fenris.

Surtur Prime should be right above Hela and Odin above Surtur.
- Odin
- Surtur
- Hela

You think Ultron Prime is more powerful than Kurse?

Ultron Prime and Kurse are 2 different threats. Ultron Prime is a machine, made of vibranium which is almost indestructible, not to mention that he is much more intelligent, very strong, can fly...

Kurse is basically a juiced up version of the Hulk. A strength based beast which is incredible in it's own right but not as well rounded as Ultron Prime.

Ultron Prime and Kurse are 2 different threats. Ultron Prime is a machine, made of vibranium which is almost indestructible, not to mention that he is much more intelligent, very strong, can fly...

Kurse is basically a juiced up version of the Hulk. A strength based beast which is incredible in it's own right but not as well rounded as Ultron Prime.

I agree with this assessment. Many consider power to be just strength or a characters offensive power, but to me Durability and even Intelligence is equally important when establishing who is the more powerful character. And I agree that Ultron would best Kurse in both of these departments. Should be a good future fight though.

Surfer

Ultron Prime is more Durable, and Versatile than Kurse but definitely not physically stronger. Kurse Swatted away Mjolnir with one Hand (a better feat than a sufficiently angry Hulk stopping that war hammer with one hand)

Post Ragnarok Thor would still have his hands full fighting Kurse

I wouldnt be surprised if Kurse could rip apart Ultron prime. His strength was greater than an in motion mjolnir.

Unless Thor's lightning short circuits Ultron, he probably cant destroy Ultron.

Kurse takes em both. But this is Thor vs Hulkbuster.

I know but I wonder is this pre or post Ragnarok Thor

Technically, it is both since it is the same character and all Feats should be considered his and to be one of the same character.

Surfer

I know but I wonder is this pre or post Ragnarok Thor

Why do you keep saying that? We're using an actual picture from Ragnarok, not to mention Odin says Thor's powers with Mjolnir was his all along.

Meaning Thor didn't necessarily get a power boost, he just learned to control his powers independently.

Why do you keep saying that? We're using an actual picture from Ragnarok,
yes but Mjolnir is still listed as a weapon in character details ,u
not to mention Odin says Thor's powers with Mjolnir was his all along.

Meaning Thor didn't necessarily get a power boost, he just learned to control his powers independently.
i think that is too literal an interpretation of what Odin was communicating because Thor went from being physically over powered by a sufficiently angry Hulk to physically over powering said Hulk

Okay, even Pre Ragnarok Thor would have beaten the Hulkbuster - although it would have been very close and I feel like Thor would have taken a pounding.

Since these battles are no holds barred we can assume the Hulkbuster is using all it's weapons at full power and shooting to kill. However Mjolnir would still be too much for Tony to handle.

While Hulkbuster was able to eventually KO Hulk, that was a nearly mindless Hulk with non control at all. Whereas Thor is a skillful opponent, and would have almost certainly KOd Hulk ( even without Mjlonir) in the Grandmaster's arena.

Assuming we're dealing with post Ragnarok Thor, he does have some problems ( e.g. can he fly without Mjlonir ? and he doesn't have it to deflect attacks as he did when he fought the Destoryer and Surtur).

However his lightning powers appear mightier than ever.
Possibly to the point of eventually overloading Hulkbuster 's arc reactor. In hand to hand/ close quarters Thor's deadly skills and immense strength would be decisive.

I don't think this is a one shot, and at first Thor would take some heavy hits. However as the battle wore on Thor would tear the suit apart piece by piece, and unless Tony had nearly unlimited replacement parts, sooner or later he'd be standing there in his iron undies, while Thor laughed and toasted his victory.

So a clear win for the Odinson.

Unless....and this is key....the background music was picked by Iron Man. If ACDC was playing then Tony might have a chance. On the other hand if the DJ loads up the immigrant song then it's going to be over quick !

yes but Mjolnir is still listed as a weapon in character details ,ui think that is too literal an interpretation of what Odin was communicating because Thor went from being physically over powered by a sufficiently angry Hulk to physically over powering said Hulk

I can only take it for what he said, nothing more or nothing less I don't like to put my own spin on things.

This is a battle forum and Mjolnir is Thor's signature weapon I feel it's earned it's right to be brought back.

Last edited:
I feel the stipulation is Thor post Ragnarok.. in tune with his powers. Except he also wields Mjolnir KNOWING thaylt the power is his, and that he can charge himself up. If we agree Thor users his hammer, then I feel any advantage Tony has is negated. Imagine when Tony and Hulk's fist collided and stopped, causing the shockwave.

Replace Hulk's fist with mjolnir swung by an all out, coated in lightning Thor. I would imagine the arm gets blown off.

I feel the stipulation is Thor post Ragnarok.. in tune with his powers. Except he also wields Mjolnir KNOWING thaylt the power is his, and that he can charge himself up. If we agree Thor users his hammer, then I feel any advantage Tony has is negated. Imagine when Tony and Hulk's fist collided and stopped, causing the shockwave.

Replace Hulk's fist with mjolnir swung by an all out, coated in lightning Thor. I would imagine the arm gets blown off.

Thor's shockwave from punching Hulk in the galdiator fight was bigger than the shockwave from Hulk and Hulkbuster's fists colliding.

Oh and that was just from Thor's punch ALONE, it didn't need to colliden with someone else's fists.

Last edited:
I wouldnt be surprised if Kurse could rip apart Ultron prime. His strength was greater than an in motion mjolnir.

Unless Thor's lightning short circuits Ultron, he probably cant destroy Ultron.

Kurse takes em both. But this is Thor vs Hulkbuster.

Yeah, I agree that Kurse could rip up Ultron - he displayed immense strength and destructive power against Thor, easily beating him in hand to hand - something Hulk couldn't do.

I think that post Ragnarok Thor probably has the power to hold his own with Ultron Prime - although Cap held his own with Ultron (although not Ultron Prime). Ultron as a whole was very underpowered -compared to his comic book counterpart.

Could post Ragnarok Thor beat Kurse? Hard to say.

Could Hulkbuster defeat Kurse.?...not likely ( don't think he could hurt Kurse). Could Hulkbuster defeat Ultron Prime? Maybe.
Could he defeat post Ragnarok Thor ? Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"