MCU Fight: Thor Vs. Hulk

Avoided this at first since I assumed it'd only be a huge cluster****. Maybe it was, I only skimmed.

Guess I'll give my piece. To preface, I voted Thor. In an all out fight, Thor wins this. (Hulk is my love, Hulk is my life, but I can see logic and reason) Maybe not instantly since I hold that Hulk is insanely durable, but be it the third, fourth or fifth lightning strike, Hulk gets KO'd at some point and Hulk, while physically stronger, doesn't really have anything offensively to get through Thor's own insane durability, whereas Thor does have the offensive power to eventually nuke anything (hell, he'd probably take out Prime Surtur if given enough time before the Asgard kamikazee attack) into the dust.

But let me clear up a few things:

Hulk didn't dodge the Mjolnir toss in the helicarrier. He caught it. I personally don't believe catching=dodging. I also think he only got angry from the hammer uppercut so I don't think he's afraid of getting hit by it. I think he wanted it and saw the throw as an opportunity to wield it... Given that his next move was to intensely try to lift it I think that makes it very clear that he wanted it for himself.

Secondly, I'm thinking that his fall from the helicarrier probably didn't deal more damage than the wall tearing hammer smash in the arena. Hulk was dazed and sitting on his ass for a bit after that, enough to even allow Thor to approach him so calmly. I think the key difference here, while both events would leave Hulk lazing about among a bunch of debris (be it the arena wall or the building's ceiling), is that in the arena he had an opponent to motivate him to get back up. In the building that Henry Dean Stanton apparently supervises, he only had pigeons fluttering away and presumably not a soul in sight or anything to maintain aggression. I'm visualizing him sitting there, dazed, and eventually calming down and reverting back to Banner thanks to zero stimulation after the fall. Aside from being KO'd, pre-Ragnarok Hulk required stimulation to remain in his form and I think people are forgetting about that when they're thinking of Banner being in the rubble.

Of course, maybe Infinity War will answer this more clearly since Hulk will yet again be falling through a roof, probably from an immense height, and then reverting to Banner in the rubble.

Chance Jackson, I appreciate the moxxy but even as a hardcore Hulk fan I have to say that pre-Ragnarok Thor had the chops to beat Hulk in a serious fight. That Thor was busting cities and Jotun landscapes when he cut loose. His Ragnarok upgrade definitely makes it easier for him though.

Also despite Taika's statement, I still hold that the correct way to write these characters would be (which may very well be different from how it actually is) that Hulk is stronger in the physical sense, with Thor being a close match that come short, but is substituted by better fighting skills, being a smaller and faster target, and of course, if he wasn't restricted to brawling, could leave Hulk KO'd in an electrified crater if he really wanted to.

Like seriously, while they're usually used interchangeably, I propose that there's a big difference between the words strength and power in these discussions and one should be careful in how they use each to precisely convey what they're saying. And honestly I'm getting tired of having to say "stronger in the physical sense" or "physically stronger" every single time. Give me the ability to just say the words "strong" and "strength" by themselves and have everyone know exactly what I'm talking about. It's 2018 people, the time's come for a vernacular change in geek language. :p

Oh, oh, and I'd say both belong in Powerhouse. Despite all the strength vs power debate ****, they're in the same league of being the team's big guns.

Last edited:
Vision vs...... Hela ? Dr Strange ? Thor ? Ghost Rider ?

With Vision there are some anomalies, as Scarlet Witch easily overcame him - also he has a tendency to float around doing nothing during battles, ( like during Civil War ).

He was also weak to Hawkeye's electricity arrows so a fight with Thor would be over pretty quickly. I'd like to see him against Hulk or the Hulkbuster.

Thör-El;36463683 said:
He was also weak to Hawkeye's electricity arrows so a fight with Thor would be over pretty quickly. I'd like to see him against Hulk or the Hulkbuster.

To be fair though, you could use that logic against Thor as well, given that he was subdued so easily by the net and obedience disks on Sakaar (especially since Taika confirmed that they were electrocuting him).

I guess Hawkeye is the most powerful Avenger now, huh?

I was reading some parts of the script for Thor Ragnarok and it was really hard to miss how much of a fanboy of Hulk the writer was. One of the writers was the one that wrote the animated movie "Hulk vs.", "Planet Hulk"... where it was clear that there was a big bias towards the Hulk. As Stan Lee once said, depending on the writer you'll have the victor on the Thor vs Hulk rivalry.

That script always painted a favorable light over Hulk's actions. Thankfully Taika and Marvel where able to trim that fat of the script and make it as it should be... an even match.

To be fair though, you could use that logic against Thor as well, given that he was subdued so easily by the net and obedience disks on Sakaar (especially since Taika confirmed that they were electrocuting him).

Taiki confirmed that they were electrocuting him? On the DVD commentary Taiki said the obedience disk took away his powers like losing his hammer in the first film.

Taiki confirmed that they were electrocuting him? On the DVD commentary Taiki said the obedience disk took away his powers like losing his hammer in the first film.

If that was true he wouldn't have survived the blow Hulk used to knock him out at the end of the fight. He was basically human when he lost the hammer in the first Thor movie.

What Taika actually said and meant was that the the obedience disks where sort of like when Thor lost his hammer in Thor 1. The idea was the same, to put Thor in a vulnerable position... Having said that in Thor 1, Thor lost all of his powers and godhood becoming a human. In Ragnarok he is still a god.

It wasn't a regular net. It was one full with obedience disks. And the obedience disks are not regular electricity either. They attack the nerve system and get into the blood rendering the target incapacitated. It's highly advanced alien tech not a simple taser gun. Hulk, Ares, Beta Ray Bill, Bi-Beast... all where likely subdued by those things.

The clip of when Thor gets captured and concept art of the effect of the obedience disk.

[YT]TuIFhJhrsec[/YT]

a88e971ae0cf2af3b8665013aab572c4.jpg

You could argue that but I'm pretty sure the obedience disks are advanced alien tech that disrupts powers alongside delivering electrocution for punishment. That's what they were in the comics and it sounds like that's what Taika said. On the other hand Vision does seem to get stunned by plain electricity in Civil War.

If we can get Hawkeye some obedience disk arrows you might be right.

Last edited:
Thor wins this battle.

New battle is up everyone! Vision vs Hulkbuster Ironman

Thör-El;36463933 said:
You could argue that but I'm pretty sure the obedience disks are advanced alien tech that disrupts powers alongside delivering electrocution for punishment. That's what they were in the comics and it sounds like that's what Taika said. On the other hand Vision does seem to get stunned by plain electricity in Civil War.

If we can get Hawkeye some obedience disk arrows you might be right.

Yes Taiki said they depower you, so even if they are using electricity it still makes sense because Thor without his powers are not immune to electricity. As a matter of fact Taiki actually said the obedience disks puts Thor in the same state as he was in after he lost his hammer and powers in Thor 1.

So I stand by that a fully powered Thor is immune or highly resistant to electrical shock.

What a complete shock that this poll didn't even get half the votes of the other poll now that the votes were public.

What a complete shock that this poll didn't even get half the votes of the other poll now that the votes were public.

Lmao I know right, there was some fishy stuff going on indeed.

Question how much longer do ya'll think the fight would have lasted if the Grand Master and Obedience Disks weren't a factor? I'm thinking Hulk while dazed by Thor's super charge hit still had a lot of juice in the tank. I'm pretty sure he'd have faught until Thor got serious and had to put him down. I'd say a good 10 more minutes fighting before the climax had the runtime not been a problem.

Question how much longer do ya'll think the fight would have lasted if the Grand Master and Obedience Disks weren't a factor? I'm thinking Hulk while dazed by Thor's super charge hit still had a lot of juice in the tank. I'm pretty sure he'd have faught until Thor got serious and had to put him down. I'd say a good 10 more minutes fighting before the climax had the runtime not been a problem.

A few more lightning punches and I think Hulk would've been slept, especially if Thor barraged him with continuous punches.

A few more lightning punches and I think Hulk would've been slept, especially if Thor barraged him with continuous punches.

Definitely. I would've loved a "Go To Sleep" scene from Thor. But with repeated shockwaves and Hulk actually ends up sleeping. :funny:

I'd 3 or 4 more minutes. Tbh given Thor's skill advantage, I couldnt really imagine Hulk landing more than another punch or two.

sholdn' these be in the "fight club " forumn?

It'd be great to see Hulk get some big feats in Avengers 4 (I'm hoping for an angry enough to take on Thanos moment) but for now, Infinity War's made this fight way more one sided:

Me said:
Transcendent Tier
Stormbreaker Thor
Hela
Thanos with the Power Stone
Ronan with the Power Stone
Ragnarok Thor
Thanos (no Infinity Stones)
Kurse

Powerhouse Tier
Thor (with Mjolnir)
Hulk
Vision
Ultron Prime (Vibranium)
Ghost Rider
Fenris
Thor (no Mjolnir, no lightning)
Abomination
Hulkbuster

Street tier:
Daredevil
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Punisher
Depowered T'Challa
Elektra
Okoye
Depowered Thor
Phil Coulson
Nick Fury
Bruce Banner

Last edited:
I took Thor's 'power up' as the Odin Force passing to him on the death of Odin. So for me, that is a level above Hulk.

I think Stormbreaker Thor could probably take on 3 hulks at once.

Thanos solo'ed Hulk. Thor solo'd Thanos.

Odinforce Thor basically won against Hulk without a hammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"