MCU: Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't seem to like ant-man very much :csad:
Ant-Man will be one of the big movies for marvel, if the movie achieves success is a different thing, but i can see him being an important character in the avengers movies.

I do like Ant-Man...I just think we should be realistic about what the character can do in box office; it's not going to do the 350 M + Worldwide that a studio wants from a Summer Tent pole.

Namor, Black Panther and Doctor Strange imo are their last single non-sequel options for big blockbusters.

I don't see them doing a second Avengers movie just 3 years after the first one. You need more time to set it up with individual films (with Phase 1 we had 5 films in 4 years).

I also don't see why Ant-Man wouldn't be given a summer spot, or BP. Edgar Wright has alot of cred in the business (even if Scott Pilgrim didn't perform at the BO) and BP for me is another Thor - an unknown character to the GA that will capture their attention with his eye-catching world and make decent numbers during its run at the BO (not Iron Man numbers).

I also don't see Hemsworth doing a third Thor before another Avengers movie. Its oversaturation for the character.

Avengers will probably do a bare minimum of $750 Million worldwide. Marvel would be foolish not to capitalize on that in a timely fashion; you don't stall on sequels to your biggest hit.

I didn't put Thor 3 before Avengers 2. I put Thor 3 before Avengers 3. That is feasible given that I believe Avengers 3 will be something cataclysmic which will conclude this phase of the Marvel cinematic universe in 2018, ten years after the MCU started.

Ant-Man wouldn't be given a summer spot for the same reason that Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher, and Ghost Rider don't get the big June spots; it's because they're not properties that can make the big bucks necessary to fight off the fierce Summer competition. Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Black Widow and Hawkeye are mid-sized winter/ spring movies...NOT Summer Blockbusters.

Black Panther, on the other hand could be a big tent pole option; he's a bad ass character who has proven at least on the comic front, that he has staying power (Unlike Namor, Dr. Strange, Luke Cage etc, he's managed to keep an on-going comic for most of his existence.) Of the characters Marvel has left, Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Namor have the best chance of being crossover hits.

I do like Ant-Man...I just think we should be realistic about what the character can do in box office; it's not going to do the 350 M + Worldwide that a studio wants from a Summer Tent pole.

Namor, Black Panther and Doctor Strange imo are their last single non-sequel options for big blockbusters.
What? Ant-Man is bigger than those 2, and he's one of the principal characters of evengers should there be an avengers 2.
Considering those 3 as possible big budgets and not Ant-Man, that's not realistic, expecially considering that they have a good director for the movie, and that before iron man became the hit that it is today Ant-Man movie was pratically seen as being of the same potential.

Iron Fist has all the potential to be a summer blockbuster. Just read some Immortal Iron Fist, the seeds are all there for an awesome action/adventure film.

2013: Iron Man 3, Thor 2
2014: Ant Man, Captain America 2
2015: Black Panther, Dr Strange
2016: Thor 3, Captain America 3
2017: Avengers 2

Iron Fist has all the potential to be a summer blockbuster. Just read some Immortal Iron Fist, the seeds are all there for an awesome action/adventure film.
so does ant-man

2014: Ant Man, Captain America 2
2015: Black Panther, Dr Strange
2016: Thor 3, Captain America 3
2017: Avengers 2

Way too much time betwen Avengers and Avengers 2, IMO.

I would look at:

2013 - Iron Man 3, Thor 2
2014 - Captain America 2, Dr. Strange
2015 - The Avengers 2

I don't see Marvel waiting 5 years for A2. Maybe 4 years til 2016, but my guess is 2015, and it will be the only Marvel release. Unless we get something like Black Panther or Ant Man.

Nobody has faith that ant-man will be made by 2014/2015?

Surely though Marvel will want some new character/s in Avengers 2.So my guess is before A2 we get Black Panther,Ant Man or Both.

Nobody has faith that ant-man will be made by 2014/2015?

I see Ant-Man on a 75 Million dollar budget getting either a winter or spring slot; I just can't see him being taken seriously enough by the General Audience to warrant a big summer tent pole.

I see Ant-Man on a 75 Million dollar budget getting either a winter or spring slot; I just can't see him being taken seriously enough by the General Audience to warrant a big summer tent pole.
And you think general audience will take doctor strange and black panther serious?
Ant-Man has been indevelopment to be released as a big movie since Iron man was anounced

Dr. Strange doesn't sound as ridiculous as Ant-Man. Sorcery probably appeals to the GA more than...well this guy...

antman.png

I do think one of the more simple reasons why an Ant Man movie would work is if you did the sappy emotional plot device where Pym has a go-to ant, one the audience can easily identify amongst the many, and said ant sacrifices himself to save Pym.

it's been a long time since we've had a "honey i shrunk the kids" which did "miniature" very well.. and was a successful film franchise.. i see no reason why 20 years later this still can't work if done right.

it's been a long time since we've had a "honey i shrunk the kids" which did "miniature" very well.. and was a successful film franchise.. i see no reason why 20 years later this still can't work if done right.
Exactly:cwink: And Ant-Man can even do other things, like his usual giant-man stuff

i'm glad edgar is writing this though.. because while i think small people are easier to pull off than giant ones... antman does have both. So it's really got to make aware of that cheese factor.

i'm glad edgar is writing this though.. because while i think small people are easier to pull off than giant ones... antman does have both. So it's really got to make aware of that cheese factor.
And Edgar Wright is a great director whose movies don't make the profit they deserve, pushing Ant-Man to winter and not summer is suicide to Ant-Man and Edgar Wrights career

2014: Captain America 2, Incredible Hulk 2
2015: Iron Man 4, Dr. Strange
2016: The Avengers 2

I would like to see an Invaders movie set in the same period as Captain America: The First Avenger. They could have cameos from the Howling Commandos as well. We've already seen the Human Torch in Captain America, so he already exists in that universe. I would actually like to see a movie based on him and Phineas Horton, or at least the early Golden Age Marvel/ Timely characters. We just need a Namor movie as well. The Golden Age characters would be fascinating to see in a movie.

If Marvel reacquired the rights to the FF then that would eliminate any potential legal problems with using the Human Torch. Of course, they could just call him Toro or the Torch or something similar.

I would like to see an Invaders movie set in the same period as Captain America: The First Avenger. They could have cameos from the Howling Commandos as well. We've already seen the Human Torch in Captain America, so he already exists in that universe. I would actually like to see a movie based on him and Phineas Horton, or at least the early Golden Age Marvel/ Timely characters. We just need a Namor movie as well. The Golden Age characters would be fascinating to see in a movie.

If Marvel reacquired the rights to the FF then that would eliminate any potential legal problems with using the Human Torch. Of course, they could just call him Toro or the Torch or something similar.
I've been thinking about that for 2 or 3 years i f**in love the golden age heroes

Marvel has few potential true summer tent pole movies left, but MANY spring/fall/christmas fare characters left that could be done from the 60-90 million range and still be very viable, good movies.

IMO the "lower budget" tier that could do very well for them include: Strange, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Punisher, Blade, Namor, Luke Cage, Ant-Man, Shield, Inmumans (if they have them), War Machine, Moon Knight, Spider Woman. Those are the ones I can think of now.

Some of these could possibly be summer tent poles if done right, or could be flops. I would say that all of these could be viable lower budget movies at least if they got the pieces right. They have potential anyway.

When Marvel was anouncing the lower budget films they were not referring to Ant-Man god damn it!!!!!:cmad:

When Marvel was anouncing the lower budget films they were not referring to Ant-Man god damn it!!!!!:cmad:

Lol, I put it there myself because its iffy. I do think Strange, Panther, Iron Fist, Antman, Punisher, and Blade COULD be bigger budget movies they are just more risky doing it that way.

2014: Captain America 2, Incredible Hulk 2
2015: Iron Man 4, Dr. Strange
2016: The Avengers 2

I don't see Iron Man 4 happening...After Iron Man 3, I see Stark being only in Avengers 2 and 3. No more Iron Man solos.

Now, in 2014...I'd love to see TIH2. I doubt it happens, though. But, in my perfect world of 2013-2015, it would be this:

2014: Captain America 2, The Incredible Hulk 2
2015: The Avengers 2

I would wait til after Avengers 2 to do Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, etc. Just build on the core Avengers characters a bit more, then pair Thor 3 with Dr. Strange, Captain America 3 with Black Panther, etc. More freedom after Avengers 2, IMO. But, I think we more likely get a new solo with Cap 2 in 2014. I don't see TIH2 happening at this time.

I don't see Iron Man 4 happening...After Iron Man 3, I see Stark being only in Avengers 2 and 3. No more Iron Man solos.

Now, in 2014...I'd love to see TIH2. I doubt it happens, though. But, in my perfect world of 2013-2015, it would be this:

2014: Captain America 2, The Incredible Hulk 2
2015: The Avengers 2

I would wait til after Avengers 2 to do Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, etc. Just build on the core Avengers characters a bit more, then pair Thor 3 with Dr. Strange, Captain America 3 with Black Panther, etc. More freedom after Avengers 2, IMO. But, I think we more likely get a new solo with Cap 2 in 2014. I don't see TIH2 happening at this time.

that's not really realistic though. nearly all sequels tend to add at least 1 new character to the team.. It'd be kinda stupid not to, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"