• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MCU X-Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, Feige is a comics fan - that’s a part of what allows him to lead Marvel so well. But is he a fan specifically of the O5 lineup? Doubtful, since it didn’t sell well back in the day. He’s probably a fan of the X-Men at their best - Claremont, Byrne, Morrison, and probably some others that I’m just not as familiar with. The movies can totally have the idea of history, of original members and later teams, without being restricted to the O5.

I wouldn’t have a huge problem with an O5 movie, as long as they added Storm and made Iceman gay from the beginning. It would be diverse enough, not just in race and gender, but in personality. However, I see no reason to be restricted to that team. Did they start with the original comics Avengers? No. So why bother with the original X-Men?

It might even work to just take the 05 and maybe add two other females from the start, like Storm and Kitty. I don't like the idea of breaking up or bypassing the 05 entirely. But I do like the idea of a starting with teenage X-Men, although what age range they go with may depend on the state of the MCU after Avengers 4.

It seems like people are arguing between “start with the O5 near the beginning” and “have the O5 already retired, make a new team.” Why are those the only options? Isn’t the best compromise a first team that was just assembled (like rookie Peter in SMH), but one that isn’t the O5? What’s the benefit of doing specifically those 5? Nobody outside of comics fans knows that they were the original team, and only some comics fans want them in the movie. It’s a small portion of the audience that cares. What are the upsides to making an O5 movie other than “it respects the source material” or whatever? Why bother raceswapping the O5 when you could just build an already diverse team?

The O5 characters are going to show up in an MCU X-Men movie at some point. I just think introducing them as the original X-Men is the best way to do that (cuts down on the screen time required to give them an origin story in a present day movie). It makes all of them better characters if they are the experienced veterans that literally grew up being X-Men, as apposed to brand new X-Men.

In general, I think it would be cool if there was an X-Men team in the past. That way the concept is already established, most of the stuff is built, and we don't have to waste time doing an origin story of the entire concept.

A thing I loved about the early Claremont run is how Cyclops was an experienced team leader who was struggling to figure out the best way to run the new team because he was so used to his original lineup. I think that would be more interesting to explore (an experienced leader learning how to adjust to a new team) rather than a rookie leader learning how to lead.

I liked X-Men Days of Future Past movie by FOX, but I would love to see an MCU version of this story.

I agree, actually. You can add Storm to the roster, change Hank's race and make Bobby gay. Just fom the get go, he's gay. His race is fair game too.

Eh, I'm not a fan of cavalier race changing to satiate a loud small contingent on twitter. I don't mind it in general, when it's done thoughtfully or with purpose, but I'm not a fan of just throwing history to the side like it means nothing. That's why I'm not a fan of the full O5 idea. Aside from being less dynamic, switching out some of those characters with more popular ones would create diversity naturally.

I think having an incredibly diverse group of actors is a wonderful way to differentiate it from the avengers.

The avengers have always been the jocks and the xmen are the outsiders/weirdos

I think having an incredibly diverse group of actors is a wonderful way to differentiate it from the avengers.

The avengers have always been the jocks and the xmen are the outsiders/weirdos

I agree, but there is no need to casually change history to do it, especially in this franchise. I'm in favor of swaping out Angel for Storm, and adding Kitty, Rogue or Jubilee (initially). Three males, three females. Not including Charles of course.

Last edited:
I agree, actually. You can add Storm to the roster, change Hank's race and make Bobby gay. Just fom the get go, he's gay. His race is fair game too.

I disagree, what's the point of changing Beast's race? iceman as well. Would it make them a better character? No. If you want poc, Bishop, Psylocke, Jubilee, Forge, Sunfire...

The MCU has been "casually changing history" from its inception. I get the feeling, but that is not a great, airtight argument to make at this point.

One thing that should definitely happen to differentiate is to start with a heavy female contingent. This is the only one of the big teams that can do that naturally.

I disagree, what's the point of changing Beast's race? iceman as well. Would it make them a better character? No. If you want poc, Bishop, Psylocke, Jubilee, Forge, Sunfire...
Because if they go the O5 route, they might want the team to be more diverse. And imo -- none of those characters should be in the first MCU X-Men.

If they want it to be diverse, then do not use the o5 at all. No need to change the skin color of Beast (pre-blue fur) and Iceman. It didn't help or add anything when Fox did it to Human Torch. It just led to criticisms and endless discussion. Even if they use the o5, it would probably just for 1 film as the sequel would likely introduce other X-Men staples.

I would assume even if they went with O5 the whole movie wouldn't only consist of those 5-6 characters... just add a diverse supposing cast around them

Forge could be the tech guy that stays in the mansion or blackbird. While Sunfire could start as a villain first then later joins the X-Men at the end. Storm or Thunderbird could be introduced as a mutant in distress then later joins the X-Men at the end.

So hypothetically you get the audience invested in a story about the O5 by doing an awesome movie featuring them, one that defies expectations. Then what? You basically have to get them to care about the new team in the sequel all over again. So at the end of the day, what was the point of that first movie? Do you not see why that is a problem?

Again, the point of the first movie is the same as the point of having an O5 in the backstory. When you have characters that audience cares about, such as Scott and Jean, you can use those to introduce new characters/teammates. This is how Avengers AOU added Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Vision to the team. This is how Civil War added Ant-Man, Spider-Man, and Black Panther to the team. So, no, I don't see the problem, because the MCU does the solution so well so often.

In the comics, the O5 started out as teenagers and then we got a time skip and they were adults. In a comic book this is easy and relatively fast to do (depending on the artist capabilities). You can produce more content more quickly and cheaply, whereas movies take millions of dollars and two years at a time to produce. So given that, is it really a good idea to devote massive resources to make an original five teen X-men movie, then do another movie with them as adults, and then finally get to the characters the majority wants to see anyway? I don't see the bonuses or the benefits to that.

I don't either. That's not how I would do an O5 movie at all.

I like the idea of having an original five X-Men team that existed before; because it allows us to skip unnecessary origin crap, and gives a seamless way to introduce Beast, Angel and Iceman into the fold and make them instantly relevant and important to the world. *Not* doing an O5 movie works better in this regard, because I think the concept of the original team ultimately works better as an off screen movie (pre-history) than one that is actually produced.

That's why we will never agree. I know there is no such thing as instantly important and relevant. The DCEU thinks there is, that by adding in Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash via a quick bastory with 'economical storytelling' that the audience would care, but as far as I've seen, No matter how important they were in the comics, if they're not important to the story of your film, then they aren't important, and can actually detract from the appeal of your film and current heroes by seeming rushed.

Who did they really race swap in Spider-Man Homecoming that anyone would care about? The most notable flirtation with that was Michelle calling herself "Mary Jane", but that was an obvious cop out by Marvel (they didn't actually commit to making her the Mary Jane of the comics).

They certainly didn't do anything in that movie that would be the equivalent of making Jean Grey a black woman (or replacing her spot on the O5 team with Storm). So I don't see how that proves your point.

My point is that changing characters people don't care about - Hank, Bobby, Warren - doesn't matter. So you do see my point. Neither of us see the point you're trying to make with Jean Grey.

I think establishing the idea that there was an original X-Men team in the past already sets up the idea that team membership can change.

Sets up the idea, yes, but also puts them in a position to hate the idea. Not a smart move.

How were we introduced to Tom Holland as Spider-Man? Was it an origin movie? Was it in Spider-Man Homecoming?

No.

We were introduced to him in Civil War, in ONE scene where Tony Stark recruits him. In that ONE scene we got introduced to Aunt May, got to see footage of him in prior action on Stark's phone, got to see his webbing, and even got him to tell Tony (and us) about his origin, all in the span of ten minutes. We were then treated to another awesome ten minutes of him in his new suit fighting Captain America's team. All a grand total of 20 minutes, and Marvel used Spider-Man far better in that time than Sony did with both Amazing Spider-Man movies.

If we can set Spider-Man up like that, why couldn't we introduce Beast like that in an future X-Men movie? Or Iceman or Angel like that? And why wouldn't it just be better to introduce them that way, rather than doing an entire movie about establishing their origins?

So, what I want for an O5 movie is the same as what we got with SMHC. Whether they're introduced in another film or not, the first adventure should be about them coming into their own, which has similar power as a traditional origin story, but instead of covering them getting their powers, it expands the last half of a traditional origin story: finding one's place in the world and integrating one's superheroic identity. That would be awesome.

If they'd tried to introduce Spider-Man as a 30 year old married man in Civil War who'd already battled the Sinister Six it would have been pretty absurd and uninteresting.

X-MEN have to start at least in mid to late 20's if there's any chance at decent AvX movie. Avenger's would own teenage O5 instantly. I'm thinking Cyclops actor is closer to Chris Evans age in 2011 than Tom Holland age in CW.

ywXeIuum.jpg

So, the Avengers are like 10+ deep now: Cap, Tony, Thor, Hulk, Widow, Hawkeye, SWitch, Viz, BPanther, Spidey, Ant-Man, so the only way to have a decent X-Men vs is to wait until Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine and Shadowcat join with the O5.

In such a case, even if they're still teenagers (or more likely Early 20s), Scott has superior tactical skills to Cap naturally, and can clear the field of everyone but Thor, Hulk and Vision in a single blow if need be. Jean has area attacks that no one except maybe Wanda and Vision have ANY defense against. Iceman, going Omega Level is a Hulking threat. Nightcrawler attacks with impunity. Shadowcat attacks with impunity. Storm neutralizes Thor's new powers, and Wolverine outclasses every fighter except Cap and BPanther. Beast does too, on top of his tech and bio genius for any additional objectives. Sure Angel and Hawkeye will each be punching bags for the other team, but the X-Men have too too many tactical options, even as teenagers. If the Avengers were thrown off by the surprise of Giant Man, they are the ones who stand little chance against teenage X-Men, much less early 20s. The only way for the Avengers to stand a chance is to limit X-Men to only five members, have the rest of the X-Men join the Avengers and give the remaining X-Men out of control evil idiot powers, like in AvX. And kill Xavier. Even in the much more interesting Ultimate War arc from the Ultimates line, where young X-Men defeat the much older Avengers, the fight only happened because Xavier wasn't available to one shot the entire Avengers lineup.

And the Avengers better hope to high heaven that teenage Psylocke, teenage Northstar, teenage Rogue and teenage Gambit are nowhere involved. Geez.

It seems like people are arguing between “start with the O5 near the beginning” and “have the O5 already retired, make a new team.” Why are those the only options? Isn’t the best compromise a first team that was just assembled (like rookie Peter in SMH), but one that isn’t the O5? What’s the benefit of doing specifically those 5? Nobody outside of comics fans knows that they were the original team, and only some comics fans want them in the movie. It’s a small portion of the audience that cares. What are the upsides to making an O5 movie other than “it respects the source material” or whatever? Why bother raceswapping the O5 when you could just build an already diverse team?

Yo sho nuff right. Starting near the beginning is what's most important, imho. Changing who the "O5" is is almsot unavoidable, and certainly the best compromise.

Still, there are answers to your questions. Those particular five set up future storylines very well, and set up roster rotation very well. Scott's leader journey makes the X-Men as a team feel earned and cohesive, as Cap did in Avengers. Jean's powers journey works as a foil for Xavier to establish TP rules as well as sets up Dark Phoenix Saga (IF that's something they plan on ever doing). Beast's science journey works as a great transformation object lesson and makes his later mentor role more layered. Angel is needed if anyone is ever going to care about Archangel, and, honestly, his death would give some pretty epic stakes. Iceman is actually the most useless, narratively, but he's cool, and he comes with the set.

Others who would be good for the O5 are: Storm, Logan, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat. That's not a very diverse team though. More diversity would involve include Bishop, Maggot, Darwin, Random, Frenzy, Sunfire, Psylocke, Thunderbird, or a character from the New Mutants, Generation X, Academy X or Five Lights generations, and NONE of those characters work as original members of the X-Men. They have the narrative weaknesses of Iceman - they do not set up iconic storylines, and in fact, some of them come with narrative baggage to derail the movie. Much better, imo, to make Beast Asian than to turn the X-Men origin story into a Japanese crime drama with Sunfire. Basically, because the X-Men diverse characters are actual characters, and not just tokens, they cannot all be used as tokens when diversity is needed among the overwhelmingly White roster.

Because if they go the O5 route, they might want the team to be more diverse. And imo -- none of those characters should be in the first MCU X-Men.

xoUXB3H.gif

Having a relatively inexperienced xmen team would be a very bad idea. They should be able to stand up on par with the avengers. They need to be veterans.

Why not just make a complete origin story then which is not far off from a team that's only been functioning for a year or so (which I am completely against).

So either an origin story or make them veterans operating in the background.

Having a relatively inexperienced xmen team would be a very bad idea. They should be able to stand up on par with the avengers. They need to be veterans.

Why not just make a complete origin story then which is not far off from a team that's only been functioning for a year or so (which I am completely against).

So either an origin story or make them veterans operating in the background.

Did Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch stand on par with the Avengers? Why or why not?

How can the DCEU get the Justice League on par with the Avengers? Or are they already?

Why is it necessary for them to be able to stand on par with the Avengers? For some hypothetical vs film down the line?

Thor, Captain Marvel, Vision and the Hulk alone would be hard for anyone to crack. Just focus on story and integrating the mutants properly into the MCU. Everything else is predicated on that.

We already saw the X-Men as beginners (or lame combat fighters) in the Fox movies. So let them be veterans unless the villains are really weak and easy to beat... They don't need to be amateur superheroes to be relatable and in order to come up with a good story.

Last edited:
Yeah, they need to let the X-Men truly be superheroes this time around. I feel like all of the X-Men movies (even the good ones) have tried too hard to distance themselves from the superhero concept and I'm honestly sick of it. It's a story about people who can shoot laser from their eyes and have metal skeletons. Yeah, they touch on racism and xenophobia and all that but it's still a superhero story. Let it be that, finally.

Yeah, they need to let the X-Men truly be superheroes this time around. I feel like all of the X-Men movies (even the good ones) have tried too hard to distance themselves from the superhero concept and I'm honestly sick of it. It's a story about people who can shoot laser from their eyes and have metal skeletons. Yeah, they touch on racism and xenophobia and all that but it's still a superhero story. Let it be that, finally.

Marvel will do this without a doubt.

Why is it necessary for them to be able to stand on par with the Avengers? For some hypothetical vs film down the line?

Thor, Captain Marvel, Vision and the Hulk alone would be hard for anyone to crack. Just focus on story and integrating the mutants properly into the MCU. Everything else is predicated on that.

I may have worded it wrong but when I said "stand on par" I meant experience-wise if that makes sense to you.

They should appear like they already know the current climate of the mcu (not just through news etc), have gone through the same struggles as the other well established heroes have. They need to look like they know what they are doing and not another spider-man (which makes sense for his story). They need to be able to enter a discussion with the avengers without asking about their credibility since they are new to the hero scene.

They should already be a well-oiled working ensemble and not a bunch of kids fresh off from training wheels.

EDIT: They definitely do not need to fight just to show off what they can do(I wouldn't want that)

Last edited:
Did Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch stand on par with the Avengers? Why or why not?

How can the DCEU get the Justice League on par with the Avengers? Or are they already?

We're not talking about adding new members to the Avengers lineup but from a "team" stand point. I don't know why you brought up the Justice League when they are irrelevant to this nor do I care about that franchise.

We already saw the X-Men as beginners (or lame combat fighters) in the Fox movies. So let them be veterans unless the villains are really weak and easy to beat... They don't need to be amateur superheroes to be relatable and in order to come up with a good story.
We saw them as veterans too, though. In four movies, actually. Never have we see the X-Men as a recently formed team establishing their place in the wider MCU. Going that route makes much more sense for the MCU; Is in line with how they've handled all of their heroes and it's a much easier pill to swallow than to start the X-Men off as 30 year olds who have already fought most of their Rouges; who have already gone through many of the character defining moments from the comics. Who have, for some reason, stay hidden for 10-12 years even though most of the World-ending battles happened on their Doorstep.

We saw them as veterans too, though. In four movies, actually. Never have we see the X-Men as a recently formed team establishing their place in the wider MCU. Going that route makes much more sense for the MCU; Is in line with how they've handled all of their heroes and it's a much easier pill to swallow than to start the X-Men off as 30 year olds who have already fought most of their Rouges; who have already gone through many of the character defining moments from the comics. Who have, for some reason, stay hidden for 10-12 years even though most of the World-ending battles happened on their Doorstep.

Yes it's tough to think about a reason why they would not help the avengers on these world ending events. But just think about how the other heroes don't help one another on their solo films. You can apply that to this argument in some capacity... a much much much smaller scale.

Maybe they can try to use that as their legacy for their MCU counterparts. A legacy that they all feel guilty for. A group of mutants who decided not to help even in those dire situations which is why the world find it a lot harder to accept them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"