Metal Gear Solid question

Metal Spidey

Spider-Man rules!
Reaction score
The following question may offend certain people (Japanophiles and Weeaboos) but I'm honestly not trying to start anything with anyone.

How come the game has an American army feel and look to it? Ignoring the strange creatures seen here, the rest of the game, especially the first few games look like it was made for Americans. In fact, a lot of Japanese games and cartoons look like their target audience is Americans first and then Japanese second but that's going off topic, sorry.

Once again, this just a simple question.

Kojima LOVES the West, he's very much interested in western culture and way of life. Metal Gear is also a LOT more popular in the west then it is in Japan. Don't get me wrong, Japanese gamers like Metal Gear, but those in the States and UK overly love the game.

Kojima knows this.

Well I think it has to do with the fact that Kojima is an avid fan of American action movies.

As for why Japanese games feature Americans? Well...I dunno. Maybe its because an American is seen as the prototypical protagonist? I mean they usually are in movies, other games, etc.

argh...we already have a Metal Gear thread. did you really have to make a thread just for this question?

anyway, VaderRISE and Spider-Jay pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I think it's really too broad of a question overall as it boils down to the various creators of whatever. Japan has indeed been influenced by the west, as they've adopted Baseball, and various other things from our culture. And we have adopted certain things from them as well.

However in some animes you can def tell they have western influences, such as ones with more old western settings. With Snake in particular it's no secret tho, he was influenced by a few American movie heroes. I believe the Col was even influenced by John Wayne. MGS2 took place right off of American waters and ended with a fight next to an American monument.

That's not to say all Animes or Japanese games are influenced that way tho, some of that is just from the dubbing of voices and various words lost in translation or changed to suite the American audience.\

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"