25 years of Metroid (Samus Aran's anniversary celebration thread)

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
metroidprime3corruption.png

2011 is the 25th anniversary of the Metroid franchise. What began as a humble little project for the NES disk drive at Nintendo of Japan has since grown into one of the oldest and most respected sci-fi series in gaming. Not only was Metroid one of the first games to eschew the typical level-based design of most 8-bit games in favor of exploring a single large world, but it also introduced us to one of the first, and most badass action heroines of the gaming medium: Samus Aran, the most infamous bounty hunter in the galaxy.

312628metroidnesscreens.png

The series has it's fair share of ups and downs over the years-- it's most notable down being the tragic, untimely death of creator Gunpei Yokoi in a car accident in 1997 at age 56. Yokoi also made the NES cult-favorite Kid Icarus (which shared the same engine as Metroid), and was also the father of the portable game system, responsible for the creation of the Gameboy, Virtual Boy, and the Bandai Wonder Swan. Many people actually attribute the lack of a Metroid installment on the N64 to Yokoi's death, which is certainly a possibility.

gunpei.jpg

One of the most notable highs for the franchise in my opinion was its triumphant return on the Nintendo Gamecube with Metroid Prime. People had been asking for a new Metroid for years, and its return through Texas game developer Retro Studios under the guidance of Shigeru Miyamoto (replacing Gunpei Yokoi as producer) managed to successfully bring the series' iconic gameplay into 3D, and it was nothing short of spectacular. The huntress was finally back-- Metroid Prime went on to sell millions of copies and win numerous Game of the Year awards, and is regarded by many as one of the best 3D games of all time.

33784metroidprimegamecu.jpg

As far as I know, Nintendo has no official celebration for Metroid's 25th anniversary planned (at least, no-where near the extent that Mario and Zelda have gotten), however that has not stopped the fans from throwing Samus a party. One such example is a rather handsome remixed Metroid series soundtrack made by a group of dedicated audio artists collectively referring to themselves as "Shinesparkers." Like the Metroid Metal album by Stemage, it's a celebration of the iconic and memorable music composed by Hirokazu Tanaka and Kenji Yamamoto, and it can be downloaded for free at their website (they also have a very nice CD set which you can purchase, if you're hardcore). It covers a wide range of different musical genres from piano techno to symphonic to chiptunes, and it's quite a treat for the ears that does justice to 25 years of Metroid music.

http://www.shinesparkers.net/harmonyofahunter/

To get the conversation going, I thought I'd ask a few questions of you all to reminisce about the series:

1. What was the first Metroid game you ever played?
2. Which game in the series is your favorite?
3. What is your favorite Metroid song?
4. What was the most badass moment?
5. What was the most creepy moment?
6. What was the most shocking moment?
7. Which boss battle was the most overwhelming?

Here are my answers:

1. What was the first Metroid game you ever played? Metroid II (Gameboy)
2. Which game in the series is your favorite? Metroid Prime (Gamecube)
3. What is your favorite Metroid song? Phendrana Drifts (Metroid Prime)
4. What was the most badass moment? Using the Superbeam (Super Metroid)
5. What was the most creepy moment? Finding a dead bounty hunter being eaten by maggots (Super Metroid)
6. What was the most shocking moment? Crocomire Returns! (Super Metroid)
7. Which boss battle was the most overwhelming? Kraid (Super Metroid)

Last edited:
The Original Metroid

Metroid Prime

Not really sure, probably just the main thing

Using a superbomb for the first time

Hearing the containers holding Metroid's break in Metroid Prime. Close runner up is the Ghost Ship in Super Metroid

Samus is a girl?!?! Runner up to the obvious choice is the baby Metroid returning to aid you in Super Metroid

I think the boss of Phendrana Drifts, continually chipping away at the boss and switching between visors was really tough. Either that or the fights against Mother Brain in both Metroid and Super Metroid, but that's more because of everything else the game is throwing at you at the time.

Despite being a diehard Nintendo fan for a long time, I've never played a Metroid game. :[

Despite being a diehard Nintendo fan for a long time, I've never played a Metroid game. :[

You don't deserve to even know what Nintendo is.

Anyway, I'm in the mood for some Super Metroid :woot: Too bad my Wii is...well, I don't know where my Wii is. Goes to show how long it's been since I've touched it...

An actual Super NES is the way to go, brah. :word:

(though VC works just fine too)

if its anything like marios amazing spectacular 25th celebration i'm sure its not to be missed :rolleyes:

This is easily one of my favourite, if not my absolute favourite franchise. Metroid Prime and Metroid Zero Mission were my favourites.

Metroid II

Super Metroid

Here

Being chased by SA-X (Fusion)

Still SA-X

"Metroid is a girl??!" (I was four...)

The final SA-X battle (Fusion)

Samus-Metroid.jpg

Samus-1.jpg

samus_by_chasejc-d42dv71.jpg

_kaboom__by_hou_oh-d3zr1wr.jpg

samus_aran_wallpaper_by_klarthkun.jpg

SamusAran.jpg

Samun_Aran_by_reiqjpg.jpg

Samus_Aran_Corruption_by_reiq.jpg

metroid_anniversary_fan_art_by_blkcelebration-d45nima.png

ZeroSuit2.jpg

1. The Original Metroid I played it in 1989.
2. This is tough I would say a tie between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.
3. Tallon Overworld (Metroid Prime) espicially from 1:00-1:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Ky2BMVWfs
Brinstar theme creepy as hell and awesome (Super Metroid)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFcSHHdIQE
4. The Grown up Baby Metroid you rescued saving you from Mother Brain's wrath.
5. The ghost ship area in Metroid Prime,and many other areas in Metroid Prime.
6. The Baby Metroid saving you as well, that was surprising.
7. When I was little Ridley was hard in Super Metroid to me.

But I will say Metroid are one of my top series period. Metroid Prime was so well done, I really want Retro to continue with new graphics of the WiiU.

Metroid rocks, can't believe its been 25 years.

Last edited:
To get the conversation going, I thought I'd ask a few questions of you all to reminisce about the series:

Here are my answers:

1. What was the first Metroid game you ever played? Metroid II (Gameboy)
2. Which game in the series is your favorite? Metroid Prime (Gamecube)
3. What is your favorite Metroid song? Phendrana Drifts (Metroid Prime)
4. What was the most badass moment? Using the Superbeam (Super Metroid)
5. What was the most creepy moment? Finding a dead bounty hunter being eaten by maggots (Super Metroid)
6. What was the most shocking moment? Crocomire Returns! (Super Metroid)
7. Which boss battle was the most overwhelming? Kraid (Super Metroid)
Nice thread. :word:

1. Metroid (NES)
2. Super Metroid and Prime
3. I really like the Chozo Ruins in Prime, but really, Prime had the best soundtrack overall, so anything off of that.
4. Just about everything in Super Metroid. But if I had to pick the first "most badass moment", I would say beating Metroid(NES).
5. I can't really pinpoint which is the creepiest. I think Prime I & II had the most creepy moments.
6. Finding out Samus was a girl when I was a kid. I thought my friends were lying to me. :wow:
7. It was Kraid, but I haven't played Super Metroid in many years.

I just started playing Metroid last night, since it was free for 3DS ambassadors.

Over the past year I have been playing the metroid prime games. I never had a chance to play it since I didnt have a gamecube but I got my a Wii and Im killing it. I really love these games. The atmosphere, music, puzzles and action are really something unique. Each prime game is a nice step up from the previous one as well.

And Still no movie! better get to i before Katee Sackhoff get's too old...

I only ever played Prime, but I got stuck early on and never beat it. :/ I always associate Samus with Smash Bros before Metroid. I did want to try Super Metroid a few months ago and since I still have a SNES, maybe I'll give it a go.

ohh yeah,...my answers

1. What was the first Metroid game you ever played? The original metroid in NES.
2. Which game in the series is your favorite? The prime series.
3. What is your favorite Metroid song? Honestly, theres so many. The underwater music in MP2 is pretty cool I guess.
4. What was the most badass moment? The rush you get when...spoilers...you have to run your ass off at the very end of MP2
5. What was the most creepy moment? The atmosphere of dark Aether is non stop creepy
6. What was the most shocking moment? That I was only one 3rd of the way when I thought I had actually beaten the Emperor Ing
7. Which boss battle was the most overwhelming? The ending of all games. My hand is usually sore and I feel spent lol

Im really hoping Nintendo gets Retro studios to continue these games for future consoles. Retro says they will be working on a title everyone wants them to do, but who knows it could be another Donkey Kong country title or something like that. ALl I know is that those guys really got something original going and they should continue. I will certainly play.

Man, I loved that game. The original one that is. I don't think I ever played any of its sequels, but I wish I kept my old Nintendo so I could get it fixed up and play it once in a while. I really miss its simple pleasures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"