METROPOLIS-The City's "Portrayal"

Bump... I just hope I won't notice Metropolis looking like Gotham. :o

Can't wait to see how Metropolis looks like in Man of Steel. I'm really interested to see what they do with it.

I doubt it'll be Tomorrow-Land like some of the pictures people were posting before.

I bet it'll probably look a bit like the city of tomorrow. It's Zack Snyder after all. He's done very stylized stuff before. Look at 300, Watchmen, and even Sucker Punch. He went as far as to add CGI to the sky to get the feel of the comic right.

He's said that MoS will be almost documentary-style compared to his other work.

I'm hoping for a futuristic city of tommorow, but what I'm actually expecting is just a very typical, generic, large city setting with some CGI layered in ala Begins and TDK, in other words, it won't be specific to any one city. We could be viewing NY or LA for all intents and purposes

Well they said that they'd be applying realism to this world, so I don't think it'll be looking like anything too out of the ordinary for MOS.

And that is totally fine with me. They can make Krypton or Colu or whatever as outlandish as they want, but I like Earth to be relatively normal aside from the super beings that start springing up. To me, the Superman story doesn't take place in the future, but the present, and making Metropolis noticeably more high tech than any existing city would just be jarring to me.

Well if you watch the Comic Con trailer (if you can still find it), we get a few glimpses of Metropolis. More specifically, we get a glimpse of 2 buildings for about 2 seconds when (presumably) Zod and Superman are flying towards each other at one point in the trailer. Both buildings kinda looked stylized in that one scene and not like your average skyscraper.

And that is totally fine with me. They can make Krypton or Colu or whatever as outlandish as they want, but I like Earth to be relatively normal aside from the super beings that start springing up. To me, the Superman story doesn't take place in the future, but the present, and making Metropolis noticeably more high tech than any existing city would just be jarring to me.

It doesn't necessarily have to be too high tech - just a bit more futuristic than the average American city. I don't see how that would be a problem or it would be unrealistic since there already are cities that look a bit more futuristic than the average American city. Take Dubai and Singapore for example.

What does that even mean? lol

Last edited:
For the look of the Metropolis, I want to see some artsy areas and glass buildings. I hope that there are some beautiful shots like this...

469x264.jpg

01spirit-of-chicago.jpg

chicago-downtown-400x300.jpg

As for the people, I want to see the city divided where some people accept Superman and others want him dead. Sure, Superman is a good guy going around saving people and doing good deeds, but I would understand seeing people afraid of him. Just imagine that you are in one of those tall buildings and then all of a sudden the room gets ripped half way off and you are at the edge nearly about to fall to your death. Imagine you're walking with your child and he/she nearly gets crushed by falling debris. This would cause people to hate/fear Superman.

Realistically, everyone can't be pleased and I really hope that it's shown in the movie.

As for the people, I want to see the city divided where some people accept Superman and others want him dead. Sure, Superman is a good guy going around saving people and doing good deeds, but I would understand seeing people afraid of him. Just imagine that you are in one of those tall buildings and then all of a sudden the room gets ripped half way off and you are at the edge nearly about to fall to your death. Imagine you're walking with your child and he/she nearly gets crushed by falling debris. This would cause people to hate/fear Superman.

Realistically, everyone can't be pleased and I really hope that it's shown in the movie.

I don't think you really want to delve too far into that property damage sucks aspect.

Superman will never be able to win over those people, and eventually, anyone would get tired of that sh-t, no matter how good the person is.

I don't think you really want to delve too far into that property damage sucks aspect.

Superman will never be able to win over those people, and eventually, anyone would get tired of that sh-t, no matter how good the person is.

This is an agreement right? :huh:

I want to see property damage.

I managed to find a bootleg version of the Comic Con trailer.

If you pay very close attention from 1:21 - 1:23, we can see a small glimpse of Metropolis. More specifically, the building to the left of the screen looks very stylized. I was talking about that building in my previous posts.

Last edited:
This is an agreement right? :huh:

I want to see property damage.

I want property damage too.

No. I'm saying basing people's dislike on the fact Superman's strength rips apart cities is a fight for hearts and minds he can't win. He's going to level half a building defacto.

The whole, he's different/alien, is a argument he can eventually win over by doing good.

I managed to find a bootleg version of the Comic Con trailer.

If you pay very close attention from 1:21 - 1:23, we can see a small glimpse of Metropolis. More specifically, the building to the left of the screen looks very stylized. I was talking about that building in my previous posts.
You should remove that link, you are not allowed to post links to bootlegs...

Sweet!!! Trailer looks awesome!! It's gonna be a looooong, slow, painful wait from here til next summer.

Last edited:
What was used as Metropolis for MOS (ie filming location)?

It doesn't necessarily have to be too high tech - just a bit more futuristic than the average American city. I don't see how that would be a problem or it would be unrealistic since there already are cities that look a bit more futuristic than the average American city. Take Dubai and Singapore for example.

Yeah, Metropolis should look a bit more futuristic than the average city. Especially with Lexcorp and S.T.A.R. Labs being there.

Didn't know that. Ok then.

If anyone wants the link, send a PM or something.

I don't think you're even allowed to advertise that you even have access to the footage. Read the stickies, buddy!

Some crazy scenes in the trailer. Cavil is going to destroy this role!

“I've seen a little bit because I did some ADR for the film. It's a very long process. Zack [Synder] puts a lot of time in post-production, like all his films because he's such a visual stylist, and there's a lot of computer-generated effects. But the little snippet I saw was pretty mind-blowing...and it wasn't even finished.”

Does that hint at a stylized Metropolis? :)

Just gotta find the link.

I want property damage too.

No. I'm saying basing people's dislike on the fact Superman's strength rips apart cities is a fight for hearts and minds he can't win. He's going to level half a building defacto.

The whole, he's different/alien, is a argument he can eventually win over by doing good.

Oh, I see what you mean. That's pretty much what I said, but in a different way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"